bestkinky

Onyedinma hopes Millwall boss gives him freedom to roam

©
©

LOOKING at Fred Onyedinma, you wouldn't think he was once a centre back.

But that was the position he started out in as he rose through Millwall's academy ranks.

These days, the 17-year-old is a fleet-footed attacker on the cusp of the first team.

Onyedinma broke into the senior side last season, making five appearances in 2014, and he is hungry for more Championship action next year.

But as for his preferred position, the youngster doesn't want to be pegged down.

"I've played in lots of different positions since I've been at Millwall," Onyedinma said.

"When I was much younger I used to play centre back before I moved to midfield. I knew defence wasn't really my position and the club realised that soon after.

"So I was moved into an advanced position as an attacking player but more recently I've been on the wing.

"I don't think I'm a player who has a specific position. I would like to roam around and do my bit in different areas.

"The modern game is all about rotation – nowadays the attacking midfielders move around and switch positions. I think a free role would benefit me.

"I've never been the type to model my game on one specific player or position.

"When I'm watching football on TV, I'm watching the whole thing and seeing how the game develops.

"I like exciting players who, when they're on the ball, you know they are going to do something special. I try to learn from players who make a big impact."

Lions fans are hoping to see more of Onyedinma in the coming campaign – and if they do, supporters will watch a player whose approach to the game is unwaveringly positive.

"My first thought is: how do we score?" he said. "I always look forward. Being direct gets you further up the pitch.

"There are times though when you can't always go forward so the next best thing is to release the ball and make sure the team keeps possession.

"If I'm on the wing, my first thought is to beat the defender because I know I am capable of doing that.

"That's what I'm thinking about during a game because the manager wants us to be positive."

46 thoughts on “Onyedinma hopes Millwall boss gives him freedom to roam

• July 9, 2014 at 11:29

Played brill on the wing, let's hope for more like that. ( he has Energy ) .

• July 9, 2014 at 11:35

I look forward to seeing more of Fred this season he has so much potential. That aside where are the signings we have been promised? Look forward to some concrete news soon.

• July 9, 2014 at 12:49

@Peckhamlad: let's just hope Zamora don't join us , too old , injury prone and can't score goals !

• July 9, 2014 at 13:09

@Peckhamlad: Plenty of time yet. We still wont be first choice for a lot of players.

• July 9, 2014 at 11:42

Good luck to you Fred wherever you play on the pitch and, as long as you put the effort in, you know the fans will be right behind you. You are our future. COYL

• July 9, 2014 at 11:42

All the younger ones are the one's I like to see the most next season things all so much better this season around

• July 9, 2014 at 11:52

You can keep your brazilian Fred.
    We have got the real one.
    Looking forward to seeing you continue your development this season. Exciting times for you and us.
    Good luck.

• July 9, 2014 at 11:56

If we don't add a quality winger to the squad I'd the give the boy a real run of games. Seems to have a brilliant attitude and from we've seen of him the potential as well.

• July 9, 2014 at 12:13

I say give him a chance too, lets try out some of the young ones ya never know.

• July 9, 2014 at 13:14

@foxy: hello mate ..ready for the new season..the leeds match should be a big game.if we get zamora all well & good..has scored & assisted at all the clubs he's been

• July 9, 2014 at 13:22

@Jim28: Ambler has already confirmed there is no truth in that rumour at all.... and Aldo has confirmed it too!

Zamora would be a typical Kenny Jackett signing, a player who is old with almost too much experience and injury prone.... but hey let's get him signed up?!?! Not for me!

• July 9, 2014 at 13:28

@Bradders: Ambler talks b0ll0cks and Aldo prints what he's told - until I get a quote from Holloway saying we're not in for Zamora I think we are in all honesty - IH already said he's looking to use his QPR connections and Zamora knows him well - would be a good fit but I agree he's too old and injury prone - I liked a link I saw yesterday about that James Hanson at Bradford.... 26 - 6'4 works hard....

• July 9, 2014 at 13:36

@TheBermondseyBomber: Yes we all know he talks up a load of cobblers, but I would still be very surprised if we got him as he is a little too old and "over the hill" for us although I'd like us to sign a known player because not all the players we sign from lower leagues are going to be a hit!

James Hanson fella looks ok, but it's worrying to see so many players coming from lower leagues as it's just not as good & technical football as Holloway wants to be playing.

Ollie will use QPR for loans more than anything else as Marc Bircham knows the youngsters very well.

• July 9, 2014 at 13:47

@Bradders: The known guys cost the money though don't they.... anyone you have in mind? - personally I struggle to come up with any realistic targets for us that aren't in the leagues below us unless of course its a loan.

Appreciated MB knows the QPR youngsters well but we have our own youngsters to look after why loan Mo Shariff when we have Aiden O'Brian and Alfie Pavey? Think we'd be looking to loan senior pro's from them if anyting.....

• July 9, 2014 at 13:57

@TheBermondseyBomber: Shola Ameobi, free transfer.... fitter than Zamora and definitely not as injury prone!

Marc Bircham might be able to tempt over a few 16-17 year olds to play for our youth and then get them in the 1st team, still costs a lot less and could be another Raheem Stirling after he came from QPR.

I'm just concerned with the teams who I thought would struggle (Rotherham, Brentford mainly) making signings who look very good for them and we are very quiet & have no goalscorers with league experience!!!!

• July 9, 2014 at 14:46

@Bradders: Shola is a great shout!! He probably wasn't on £60k a week last seaosn either!!

Youth is youth that's all well and good but I think our senior side needs tobe a priority with 4 weeks until Leeds at home!

Well Rotherham have signed 11/12 players at least 8 on free transfers - that isn't going to work out well for them at all I wouldn't of thought - I'm more concerned with Brentford laying out £1.6mill on 2 players and letting their best striker go on a free! Where's their money come from?!

I'm worried about our lack of right sided winger atm....

• July 9, 2014 at 13:58

@Jim28: @deano22: @Jim28: alright jim, I've been loged off for a while just got round to sorting it, how are ya? Can't wait for the new season to start But go on holiday the day befor the leeds game for two weeks, the wife got two black eyes for booking those dates haha,

• July 9, 2014 at 14:04

@Jim28: jim replyed down a bit.

• July 9, 2014 at 18:33

@Jim28: he is totally useless we should let another bunch of mugs sign him

• July 9, 2014 at 13:05

He's certainly got what it takes looked composed on the ball and strong too. Looking forward to seeing him and a few of the other youngsters at dartford on the 15th

• July 9, 2014 at 14:22

@deano22: the morning of the 5ti olly's having a open training session at the den

• July 9, 2014 at 18:19

@Jim28: hello mate I saw that but working unfortunately I figure he will have most of the first team at dartford but we shall see

• July 9, 2014 at 18:23

@Jim28: I'll fly over with me boots (-:

• July 9, 2014 at 13:10

Struggling to find the stories amongst the adverts these days on this website

• July 9, 2014 at 14:50

@Steve: On most web sites virtually all the adverts do not appear if you use the Firefox browser (free to download) and have the Adblock add-on (also free). The ads are still on the web site but you do not see them.

• July 9, 2014 at 14:14

steve it's either ads or we pay to visit this site, you choose.

• July 9, 2014 at 16:15

Where did the Bobby Zamora rumour start? I have read many names on this site none of which have come to fruition.

• July 9, 2014 at 16:50

@peckhamlad: the bobby Zamora rumour has come from skysports sources who understand millwall where talking to him over a move last night.. They don't normally get them things wrong when clubs speak to a player.

• July 9, 2014 at 17:47

@peckhamlad: it was on the skysports transfer clock watch at 23:45 last night. That is where i see it but not read the daily mail.

• July 9, 2014 at 17:51

Sorry 22:43 last night

• July 9, 2014 at 18:14

Personally, I think this is a fairly intelligent q&a for a young footballer. Makes a welcome change from some of the same old nonsense the more seasoned pro's, and their Manager, chuck out.

• July 9, 2014 at 18:15

It does look like we are getting Zamora

• July 9, 2014 at 20:14

@colin66: Thats all we need is another Bertie Big B*****, we have yet to get a Champagne Charlie who can justify his obscene wage, these guys are not hungry enough they have lived the life of Riley and feel they have nothing to prove. I hope I am proved wrong but I fear it will be a gross waste of money.

• July 9, 2014 at 20:25

@Sealion: I think Ollie is going to bring him in help lee Gregory and plus Ollie as worked with him before,But I know a lot on here say his had his day or always injured or his ex wet spam,Me I try to trust what Ollie is doing.You never know Ollie might be what he needs and plus his wages are not in our range.Lets see what happens over the next couple of weeks

• July 9, 2014 at 20:21

@colin66: I thought IH said we had enough senior players in the squad and that he was going for younger players he could sell on. So far he has signed,players aged 36,27,27,25 and 24. Now the possibility of a 33 year old. I thought when he made this statement that he would be looking at ex premiership academy players in their teens or early twenties. Has this idea gone overboard because EuroFerries are our new sponsors???.

• July 9, 2014 at 21:46

@denslions: Sorry to reply to my own message but the type of players I had in mind were for example Joe Dolan 18 year old ex Chelsea trainee who we signed in 1998 and Dave Livermore 19 year old ex Arsenal trainee who we signed in 1999. Dolan was a brilliant centre back who broke his leg in a collision with his own team mate Robbie Ryan and like many players who suffer long term injuries never fully recovered. Livermore was never a crowd favourite but played nearly 300 games for us and is now one of our backroom staff.

• July 9, 2014 at 18:22

Would be a good addition to the squad but only at the right price, i.e. on the cheap

• July 9, 2014 at 18:34

@lion.ie: yet another non goal scoring has been for us then

• July 9, 2014 at 18:46

@southstandview: Did you watch the play-offs? Came on and changed the game vs Wigan and winning goal vs QPR. Good impact player at the right price.

• July 9, 2014 at 19:02

@lion.ie: 9 goals in 50 odd games , so overrated , big name no goals

• July 10, 2014 at 00:58

@southstandview: Never let watching games get in the way of a stat from wikipedia. A useful squad addition off the bench, again, at the right price.

• July 10, 2014 at 06:56

@lion.ie: strikers are meant to score goals and he don't , end of

• July 10, 2014 at 02:54

We are now being linked with jimmy kebe french winger very quick and direct winger,ex reading,qpr and leeds

• July 10, 2014 at 06:58

L noticed nugent was given a extended contract at leicester but no mention about wood's situation...