bestkinky

Coventry on alert as Millwall captain admits he could leave

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

PAUL Robinson admits a move away from Millwall "is an option" for him this summer after being told he does not feature in the club's long-term plans.

Boss Ian Holloway will not stand in Robinson's way if the defender can secure a contract with another club.

NewsAtDen understands Coventry City are keen on the 32-year-old.

Robinson said: "Maybe I'm not in Millwall's long-term plans so if someone else is interested, that might be an option.

"Ultimately my main focus is to be in the best possible shape for the start of the season and what happens in the meantime happens."

Robinson did not travel with Millwall to Portugal for their training camp in the Algarve last week, with Holloway promising to give youth a chance this season.

"Staying behind was all part of my situation and goes to show I'm not part of the manager's long-term plans," the centre back added.

"But at the moment I have got another year left on my contract at Millwall and unless something comes up I am happy to be a part of it.

"I'm still desperate to stay because I don't feel I've shown Ollie my best.

"Fitness-wise I've been good but I think the manager wanted to have a good look at Jake Goodman and he probably knows as much as he needs to know about me.

"A few senior players were left behind so that Ollie can build for the future and intergrate some of the new lads.

"As you get older you realise you want to play as many games as you possibly can.

"If your chances are going to be limited then maybe you do have to finish your career with another team.

"Whatever happens, my links with Millwall are still strong and the club will always be a massive part of me."

31 thoughts on “Coventry on alert as Millwall captain admits he could leave

• July 8, 2014 at 10:23

Bit depressing but a wonderful servant - if he goes wish him all the best - hoping he stays his experience and leadership would be missed - proper 'Wall!

• July 8, 2014 at 10:25

This is one of the worst things about being a supporter,when a player has given his all when he pulled the shirt on,shown great loyalty to millwall,for what ever reason has to move on,but i am sure what ever happens Robbo will get the support and best wishes of us fans.
    In my book he will always be remembered with the respect he deserves.

• July 8, 2014 at 10:26

That would be a great shame if you left, Robbo, as I would've thought you'd stay & take up coaching as you still have a lot to offer at the Den. If you do go to Coventry or elsewhere, be assured that you'll always be a Lion as far as we're concerned & a huge thank you for your many years of service to Millwall. You'll be greatly missed by everyone associated with our club.

• July 8, 2014 at 10:35

Makes sense for Robbo if he wants first team football.
    Cannot see him playing much/if at all for Millwall this season.
    Also League 1 football would be much better for him.

• July 8, 2014 at 10:37

Sad day but was always gonna happen.since his injuries he has not been the player he once was. But maybe he could return one day after retirement to instill the Millwall spirit into the younger players?

• July 8, 2014 at 10:38

One of our own, always will be. ALL THE BEST ROBBO WHATEVER YOU DECIDE . A TRUE LION!

• July 8, 2014 at 10:39

Gutted for him and I've got no idea how i'm going to break this to my 10 year old son who absolutely idolises the fella.

Maybe not the best or technically gifted of CB's we have ever had, but he was probably one of the most committed & bravest I've seen down the den. Which for me puts him up there the Millwall great CB's of the past.

Good luck Robbo!.

• July 8, 2014 at 10:53

It's the hardest of times when the curtain closes on distinguished careers , extremely hard on both sides of the fence, you've shared all emotions n the s*** part is that ya never really know when it's gunna end. Longevity at same club is so rare these days and even though I bet this blokes been called all manner of names from time to time , he,s like a brother or son to so many and it's hard to say goodbye. Whatever the outcome it's another beautiful journey that may have reached it's conclusion and if it has, cheers to a great club man.

• July 8, 2014 at 10:55

LEGEND!!!!
    Thought Robbo was a one club man, but knows he is down the pecking order and wants to play, not just pick up his wages!
    His greatest moment scoring the goal to get us in the championship!
    Good luck Robbo, whatever happens.

• July 8, 2014 at 11:04

Absoloute Legend in my eyes too.
    It will be a sad day for me if he leaves us.
    A true warrior and leader.

• July 8, 2014 at 11:31

true legend will be a very sad day when he leaves he has the true grit and detmination to be a Millwall player but i do think League 1 could be his level as i feel the championship is a bit too much for him he mis millwall through and through

If he leaves we need a new captain Any Ideas on who?

• July 8, 2014 at 11:38

@millwallgracie98: Bailey,we dont know what websters leadership qualities are but he could be a contender if Ollie thinks he has leadership in him,must be a mid fielder or defender before a forward.

• July 8, 2014 at 11:42

@jim1222: agree with that i thin k it will be dunney

• July 8, 2014 at 11:47

@millwallgracie98: all I have to say agree with you 100% hope he comes back in some form or another true Millwall man

• July 8, 2014 at 13:57

@millwallgracie98: If Robbo does move on then the new captain has got to be a regular and talker on the pitch and someone who represents Millwall's passion, grit and all that b*******.

Bailey or Forde would be the candidates for me. It would of been Dunne but he wont start enough games.

• July 8, 2014 at 11:39

Shame but it happens, great lions legend and hopefully he can come back in the future as a coach/manager.
    Best wishes Robbo

• July 8, 2014 at 11:56

He's been a loyal servant to the club but now its time to do what's best for him and Millwall. Move on.

• July 8, 2014 at 11:59

Does seem a little confusing.hollaway said he would be thrilled if robbo plays a part this season.but he has offered him a longer contract eslewhere..the snag is robbo wants the challenge of a battle to get to the front of the queue..robbo turned down a loan inarch.so it wouldn't surprise me if he stays

• July 8, 2014 at 13:05

If someone offers him a contract he should take their arm off. He's not been right for a while now.

• July 8, 2014 at 13:47

Best of luck to Robbo whatever he decides. A great servant to the club. Also a top top man I've had the pleasure of meeting on a few occasions. Still remembers my daughters name from when she was mascot a few years back. However if it was a straight choice between keeping him or Shittu it'd be Robbo for me all day long.

• July 8, 2014 at 15:30

@1980wall: agree mate..dont get me started on shittu

• July 8, 2014 at 14:29

Absolute Millwall LEGEND!!!!!! Wish you all the luck in the world Robbo but will be back one day for sure. If it wasn't for Robbo, we'd still be in league 1. Thanks for that mustard day at Wembley.

• July 8, 2014 at 14:53

All good things come to an end eventually and maybe the time is right for both parties , Robbo has been a fantastic player and captain for our club thanks for some great times and memories & good luck with the next chapter of your career #realmillwall

• July 8, 2014 at 16:06

Robbo has been a fantastic servant for us but it's no time to get sentimental, if we want success things have to change, players will come and go. That is football. I wish him all the best.

• July 8, 2014 at 16:20

LEGEND

• July 8, 2014 at 17:05

An absolute LEGEND who has been on the decline for a while. Hope he gets a move for a couple of years and comes back to coach or report on the club as I think he was doing a course on journalism. Great day at Wembley when he scored the winner, been through the ups and downs with our great club so I wish him all the best whatever happens.

• July 8, 2014 at 18:36

Fair play to Robbo, a Millwall legend and an outstanding professional. I for one wish him all the best whether he leaves now or sometime during the coming season.

• July 8, 2014 at 19:01

Not sure I understand this. We keep hearing from Holloway re how special this club is and how he wants people around him who feel the same way, yet he annexes a player who epitomises exactly what we are about. If Robbo chooses to leave to get regular games, that's different, but he looks like he's being forced out here after Holloway saying that everybody had a clean slate. Lot's of contradictions. Best of luck to Robbo if/wherever he goes, 100 per center, 100% Legend.

• July 8, 2014 at 20:19

@lion.ie: I wouldn't take this as too much of an insult from IH - (I don't envy him for having to make such a tough decision...) - I reckon he would love Robbo to be part of our starting 11 - as he IS a millwall legend.
      But being involved with the club and being in the starting 11 are very different things. This is the ruthless side of the football business - and if we are aiming at being in the top 30 clubs in England, it's VERY ruthless.
      I feel for him, because whenever he's interviewed or writing in his column - he's always talking about doing his best to get into the team and keeping his fitness up... Unfortunately none of us are getting any younger and it looks like he might of missed the boat in getting back to the peak level he was once at. Whatever happens, as in all the posts above - Maximum respect to the man - a true gent and millwall legend.
      p.s. - on the subject above about captains - Bailey would be my choice - the fella has impressed me from the very beginning. His work rate is always good and you can see that he is always communicating with the team, whether it's tactics or giving someone a kick up the backside!
      However, (and some of you will hate this!) IH may go for Shittu as captain for previous experience in the roll (providing he's fit of course!).
      Anyway - got my season ticket in the post yesterday so can't wait for it to kick off!! COYL!!!!

• July 8, 2014 at 23:19

I honestly believe he can still cut it in this division and I reckon we haven't seen the last of him yet. If I am wrong then goodbye and good luck Robbo a true legend in a day and age that the word legend is used all too commonly...

• July 10, 2014 at 18:31

Thanks Robbo ,,,, true LION God bless you your family & every best wishes for the future ,,,,You will always be a legend at the den ,,,,,,onwards & upwards ,,,,, Much Respect,,,,,