bestkinky

Exclusive: Training ground purchase is on Millwall's agenda

MILLWALL are making plans to buy their own training ground.

The Lions sold their existing Bromley base in 2006 and have been leasing the land since.

The current landlords, St. John's College, Oxford, bought the facility for £1.85million when Peter de Savary was chairman.

But the Den board are now exploring the possibility of buying back the Calmont Road site – or building a new complex elsewhere.

Chief executive Andy Ambler told the Southwark News: "In an ideal world we would own our training ground rather than lease it.

"To move forward as a club, we need to be able to invest in our facilities and it therefore makes sense to own the land.

"We want to put down roots somewhere – be that at Calmont Road or another site. It is possible we could move elsewhere.

"If we stayed at our current base, the main building would almost certainly be developed. The board is constantly looking at ways to improve our infrastructure."

Millwall have invested heavily in the four pitches at the training ground over the summer but are reluctant to pour further funds into a site that is not theirs.

And manager Ian Holloway admits that there would be huge benefits to the Lions becoming their own landlords.

"The ideal scenario is to have something that's yours which you can invest in and be proud of," he said.

"There's no point spending £60,000 to install pop-up sprinklers on a piece of land you don't own.

"The training ground was sold a few years ago before the chairman came in.

"That's what owners who are non-committal do – they have bills coming in, they don't want to put any more money in so they sell off an asset.

"Really we've got to try to build and expand and that's what we're going to do.

"I'm glad that the board want to do everything I've said as much as I do. We're bouncing ideas off each other to see what we can achieve."

Holloway intends to improve the whole infrastructure of the club – not just the training facilities.

"The new pitches are magnificent and the players are responding to that," he added.

"But I'm going to look at every aspect of the club so that we have a chance of creating something special.

"Wherever we start is fine but I want to make it all better – every single percent we can improve is vital.

"I've been promoted from this division before so I know what the pitfalls are of reaching the Premier League – so I'm trying to protect us by getting the club ready as we go along.

"Getting our structure and facilities right is really important."

11 thoughts on “Exclusive: Training ground purchase is on Millwall's agenda

• July 3, 2014 at 09:21

I think the only other manager who took so much interest in improving our clubs infrastructure was George Graham and setting up the way he did after he left led us eventually to top tier division. But building a brand new training complex would incur huge multi-millions cost especially if Olly and the board want Premiership quality facilities. If Berylson foots that bill along with the rest of the board then it's time to really start believing however I think that may depend on we will do in the coming season. Either way I can't wait for it to start!

• July 3, 2014 at 10:10

We can now see where the management of millwall want to take us.
    Now it is up to the small group of fans who cause stupid disruptions like throwing things on the pitch,to really think about how stupid it is.
    We all know the FA are just waiting to jump on us for the least thing so can you imagine the board spend a lot of money on our infrastructure,then because a ref does us up some one throw's a bottle which turns into a big fine or even ground closure that would put what the club is trying to do in danger of FA retribution.
    So scream abuse and let the ref know he is an idiot,but please no throwing things.

• July 3, 2014 at 10:39

@jim1222: well said Jim totally agree with you the idiots can stay away we some of the most passionate fans but still the minority which drag the clubs name thru the mud well no have a manager to take us forward and a board and chairman who are backing the club.

• July 3, 2014 at 16:16

@jim1222: I couldn't agree more but I would go one step further. We live in a digital age, so if all of the real supporters were to submit a digital image of themselves and become members then any trouble from the idiots gets recorded, their images are identified and then they are banned for life.

• July 3, 2014 at 17:19

@Chipplefuddywick: throwing things in the pitch hurts the club, fact. Anyone that does it is a cretin or worse, can't handle their booze. Embarrassing to admit but true.

• July 3, 2014 at 11:32

Need to make sure that every game at the den is a sellout and that has a lot to do with the team playing gutsy attractive football week in week out, it's a 2 way street, they provide the action and we the supporters provide the noise! I've only been to 4 games at the den but from the outset I could see n feel the unbelievable potential . Some things could be looked at like catering, pre match entertainment , the video screen etc and I'm not tryin to serve it up but they're just observations. It's such an intimidating place and in such a unique environment. I'm not gunna w*** on , it just a really worthwhile place to watch the game and even on the shittiest day the supporters noise and commitment could never be questioned.

• July 3, 2014 at 14:43

@grassgrower: good post grassgrower i agree 100% about the screen,in fact not only do we need to upgrade the one we already have ,another one is needed so the dockers stand and CBL fans can see replay's.

• July 6, 2014 at 09:41

@grassgrower: Couldn't agree more about the catering etc , the club can only make revenue from certain things and the catering we have is a joke and far too slow if this was taken back into Millwall ownership and run correctly profit would be made by the club and not a catering company whose employees couldn't care less !!!
      On another note are there any decent teams to see near Brisbane my brother just gone out there and like yourself misses Millwall so thought I'd ask

• July 6, 2014 at 10:26

Millwallpete, if ya brothers landed in Brisbane he,s landed in 1 of the best states in aust with 1 of the best "a" league teams in the country . Brisbane roar play fast exciting football and have won a few national league titles in recent years, they are based at the 50000 seat suncorp stadium and attract very decent crowds wherever they play. Google Brisbane roar and have a look etc. they also have the Brisbane bronco rugby league team and Brisbane lion afl side , both of these are extremely successful in their own rights. Getting back to the catering at the den, I found it a bit light on for choice and quality. In australia, all codes pay close attention to catering as a valuable source of revenue. As I said, far be it for me to criticize but in this day n age it's critical to get the home match experience right.

• July 7, 2014 at 07:03

@grassgrower: thanks for that Grassgrower I will let him and my Nephew know.