Millwall relaxed on transfers after target joins Birmingham

©
©

IAN Holloway is prepared to play the waiting game for his attacking targets.

One potential acquisition – right winger David Cotterill – joined Birmingham City on Tuesday.

But Holloway is not fazed, and is set to explore loan options in the Premier League later in the summer.

He also intends to give the likes of Fred Onyedinma a chance to stake a claim for a starting berth during pre-season, which starts today.

"I liked Cotterill," Holloway confirmed. "I had a good chat with him and he was somebody that I was thinking of.

"But he had other choices and we have got other targets that some Premier League clubs might loan out eventually.

"That extra quality that we are looking for might be in the top division – it's just whether they'll loan them out.

"We tried it here before with somebody like Harry Kane and while I believe he'd be beyond us, there are quite a few other lads who could get extra experience with us."

Holloway added: "I've got an extensive list of possible loan targets so it would be silly of me to name names at the moment because there are lots of possibilities.

"Category One academies have got lots of young players in their midsts who aren't playing games.

"Someone like Ross Barkley has only just started playing recently for Everton but before that he was at Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds. So the idea would be to get somebody like that.

"There are lots of clubs and lots of players to talk to – and not just in this country.

"But first of all, I'm looking forward to seeing my own players for the next few weeks.

"I don't think I had enough of an opportunity last year to play too many of the young ones, coming into the club in the circumstances that I did.

"I gave Fred two games and I'm looking forward to giving him a lot more.

"The situation we were in wasn't conducive to letting a young lad pal through his mistakes, but rather than sign somebody like Cotterill I can see Fred having a chance.

"If he takes it, great, if not we'll see what we can do later on in the window."

20 thoughts on “Millwall relaxed on transfers after target joins Birmingham

• June 26, 2014 at 11:09

I'm glad we didn't sign David Cotterill, although he has good experience at this level I think he is in the same mould as Woolford or Martin so would prefer someone with a bit more pace and maybe a bit younger as well!

The squad is already taking shape, but just need 1 more winger and a big man up top and I'll be happy.

• June 26, 2014 at 11:37

100% agree with that. If we get utility man Hutchinson, the 1 right winger and 1 big physical presence striker is all we now need. Ideally the two names already mentioned a number of times - local bermondsey boy Jordan Ibe from Liverpool on loan and once Leicester have sorted out their attacking purchase options, get Chris Wood back (that's if he want to come back though).

• June 26, 2014 at 11:49

@Bexley_Lion: That's if WE want Chris Wood back, doesn't work the other way.

Would be very good if we could get Jordan Ibe as he looks like another Raheem Stirling, a lot of pace and a bit of trickery!

• June 26, 2014 at 13:34

@Bradders.: Daniel Sturridge as quoted as saying Jordan Ibe will partner hin up front for England one day..so if england best striker is saying these things who am i to argue

• June 27, 2014 at 08:57

@Jim28:
          Yeah, the defences in our World Cup group just could not handle him and his goals put up top of the group.

Sorry do others watch a different game to me,? Like Beckham, Sturridge got found out at the top level.

Anyhow let's have the kid if we can get him.

• June 26, 2014 at 11:45

Sorry, only wanna hear about players that we do sign, not what other teams get! Especially Birmingham City types.

• June 26, 2014 at 12:09

@terry the turk lion: Way out of our wage bracket and could still do a good job for a Premier League club.... I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at QPR!

Don't get me wrong would love to see Crouch down the den but would be almost impossible unless he is happy to take a £20k a week pay cut!

• June 26, 2014 at 18:38

@Bradders: I know all that my friend but it would be great eh, I think we are getting carried away by Mr Holloway's powers of persuasion to get almost anyone he wants,

• June 27, 2014 at 00:01

@Bradders: He was a boyhood Chelsea fan whilst always having an affinity to QPR. Chelsea fans gave it to him so hard when he was young it really affected him and he went the other way. He will end up at QPR if he leaves Stoke. Hired a box for his pals for the play off Final at wembley.

• June 26, 2014 at 23:48

@terry the turk lion: I know Crouch via a workmate and have had a few nights out with him in Marylebone. He is on 60k a week at Stoke and he commutes to training 3 days a week from St. John's wood to Stoke via london Euston. He is miles out of our range and tbh that's fair from his pov.

• June 26, 2014 at 12:19

@BUSHWACKER14.:i'am with you on this one..cobblers to zulu's ..am interested in getting a fit wood back at the den..but if he goes to a another club (dont rub it in)

• June 26, 2014 at 23:30

Don't have all the info and what I do have is not 100% bona fide. What I do know is that Wood has been approached. If anyone can convince him to come back it's Ollie.
    When you look at it, we haven't actually spent any money on transfer fees yet. Yes, I know about signing on fees etc. but the budget is the same as last year and if, as reported, we're going to reduce the squad numbers and therefore the wages, especially if we're promoting the youth players, then a season long loan for Wood becomes a financial reality.
    Wait and see.

• June 27, 2014 at 10:43

@NICKOLA: We spent money on Gregory!!
      I'm on the fence about Wood (excuse the pun), a quality player when at Millwall and scored some good goals, but did he not mug us off to go and join Leicester for bigger bucks?

I like that he is only 24 so has the best years of his career ahead of him and just needs game time, but he could just be happy to sit on 20k a week rather than join Millwall on 10k a week!

• June 27, 2014 at 12:14

@Bradders: Well, let's see, Hutchinson would take a drop, so it's all about whether you want to play-which in turn affords the chance to go on to bigger and better things or take the money and sit on the bench. Time will soon tell us.

• June 27, 2014 at 12:35

@NICKOLA: Hutchinson has to take a drop no doubt about that as he is a free agent! Wood on the other hand joined Leicester knowing he would be earning a lot more, potential to get promotion medal but not necessarily play week-in week-out.

It's a risk to take a drop in salary & play for a new club, because for instance if we sign him on 10k per week and doesn't do well then he is only going to have to look further down rather than dragging his 20k per week out at Leicester for another year or just go out on loan which could be a good option.

• June 27, 2014 at 01:23

@NICKOLA.:Thats why i got a feeling our main striker will have to be an important one..someone to bring gregory along for a while..i dont know if that will be wood or another..but if he is serious bout promotion the signing will have to be the best one or forget yer pipe dream..i'am sure he will do his best...p.s. ALDO no more articles bout other clubs..