Loan star Edwards wants to sign permanently for Millwall

©

©

CARLOS Edwards is waiting by the phone for Millwall boss Ian Holloway to call him with a permanent contract offer.

The Ipswich Town full-back has confirmed he would "love" to extend his stay at The Den after a successful loan spell.

Edwards was ever-present in the Lions side during the eight-game unbeaten run which kept them in the Championship.

And the 35-year-old is praying that manager Holloway asks him to stay on next season.

"I've been waiting for my phone to ring," Edwards told the Southwark News.

"The manager did say that he will get in contact with me - he has to speak to the chairman and the board before making a final decision.

"If it was up to him, he may have signed me straight after the game but there are ways and means of doing business professionally.

"I think he's a man of his word - so if he says he's going to give me or my agent a call, then we will take it from there.

"I'm patiently waiting and I hope I do get a call. Once that happens it should be fairly straightforward.

"Millwall is a great club, with great fans and a great manager, so even if we had gone down that might have persuaded me to stay.

"But we're still in the Championship and I'd love to be a permanent member of the squad. I think the lads here are a special bunch and we can achieve a lot together."

It is understood that Millwall are keen for Edwards to stay and will open talks with him shortly, possibly before the end of the week.

Wigan are also interested but Edwards, who will become a free agent next month when his Ipswich deal expires, is not tempted by other offers.

"There are a few other clubs knocking but I really, really feel settled here," he said.

"I didn't just choose to come to Millwall on loan because I wanted to play football - I chose them them because I saw the potential of the club under Ian Holloway.

"It was another challenge for me to come here, help the guys reach safety and give them the spark they were missing.

"I loved working under the manager - he's been absolutely great. He's been different class.

"We showed play-off form towards the end of the season - that taste of going eight games unbeaten makes me think we can continue that next year."

Edwards has also been won over by the backing of Lions fans.

"When they're on your side, you're buzzing," he added. "When you give the fans something to cheer, they will support us regardless of the situation.

"I'm saying 'us' and I haven't even signed on the dotted line yet! I just feel part of the club already."

Comments

1. Love this!! Sign him up Ollie, strong and consistent player great asset to our club.

2. glyngo says:

Very strong performances since joining us, I guess we don't know how many games he can play at that level at his age.

3. dpendet says:

Get him on board ASAP, runs up down the pitch like an 18 year old, when he first joined thought he's 35 hardly one for the future but has won me over big time!!

• Barnlion says:

@dpendet: My sentiments exactly, dont ply like his age and he has a very good football brain too boot, imo the best loanee signed this season, got to be worth another 12 months at least.

4. BUSHWACKER14 says:

Yes,Yes ,Yes........we like Smiler - Carlos , he make the New Den. Very happy place to be at! Keep it up ! Millwall fans want to be Smiling Too......!

5. grassgrower says:

Well done Carlos, ya not scared to lead by example. Get on mate, we gunna raid the points bank next season . Love ya style!

6. mewall62 says:

Carlos you got us in one give us something to cheer, and we are there we've got our wall back the future is bright.

7. HenryBaird_ says:

Loyalty. Very rare in the modern game. I think he still has 2 seasons in his locker, sign him up! Will add depth to our squad and it is no coincidence that we started winning games when he joined, he contributed to that formidable run. Like he said himself, he adds to the squad what we are missing. More importantly, he seems to love this club, that's all we want as Millwall fans. SIGN HIM UP!
    COYL MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

8. DiggerWall says:

Give him 12 months ,no brainer in my book. FULLY DESERVED ALSO.

9. grassgrower says:

The more ya think about it, how good is this news! A few months back they had to lock the gates to keep the supporters in, everyone was jumpin the fence to head to the railway line , now things lookin up and I'm wrapped to see you guys gettin excited bout the new season and the opportunity to get things heading in the right direction. Let's have a drink!!!!

10. block 28 says:

If Ollie is thinking of adding youth u need experience as well so sign the jackel now. So he can hav a full pre season

11. denslions says:

Like many others on this site I thought what the hell is IH doing signing a 35 year old. I have to eat my words big time because he has been a revelation. The same goes for the Hoff to a certain extent because they were both essential members of our 8 match unbeaten run. I would give them both 1 year permanent contracts.

12. pshields says:

correct me if im wrong but aint we been unbeaten with him in the side , won 5 and drawn 3

13. Peckhamlad says:

Carlos is class, not only a grafter he has a football brain and a great character, signing him on a permanent contract is a no-brainer, do it!,

14. ascot lion says:

Sir Ollie SIGN him now ,,,,,, no brainer ,,,,, C O Y L ,,,,

15. Crazy4lions says:

I've already given my point of view,but...call this young man and arrange a short meeting to sign the contract...immediately!!!

16. alpha_dogg says:

See the last comment on this page: http://www.newsatden.co.uk/34411-ipswich-town-skipper-carlos-edwards-joins-millwall-on-loan.html

I called it all along! Class is permanent, I remember his Sunderland days, in which he wasn't given the chance he deserved when they were in the Premiership.

17. alpha_dogg says:

It's incredible if you go back on this site and look a the comments for the "fans", regarding the announcements of the signings of Maierhofer and Edwards!

Proper fickle fans on here.

• Sealion says:

@alpha_dogg: I am getting pretty fat on all this humble pie, I must admit that at the time I thought we needed another 30yr+ journeyman like I needed another hole in my backside but well done Carlos thanks for all you have done and I really hope you get signed. I also had grave doubts about a 30yr+ unfit rusty CF but we had very little to lose and the gamble paid off, it was like Gulliver and the Lilliputians. I am always happy to be proved wrong especially when it is to the benefit of the club. Well done Bigun. If we can get him match fit he could be worth a punt but we really need young players with pace as we got roasted most of the season by them and we are lacking in that dept.

• wall2wall says:

@alpha_dogg:
      Made me chuckle.
      Enjoyed reading all the expert opinions.
      We can all have different opinions but I always think at the very least people should be given a chance first before being slated. One because it's fair and decent and the other is that you may make yourself look silly.

18. IMHO Carlos Edwards is the best right back we have had at this club for a very long time. He has class - which is permanent - and experience, which can only be an asset to the club.
    His age is immaterial, he has proven to be one of the best players we had this season (albeit over only eight matches) .

Along with 'The Hoff', who gave us another dimension, we should sign them both on a permanent deal.
    As a club we should show the way and reward players who have dug us out of a great big hole, the money they will cost is nothing compared to the reduction in income that would have resulted had we been relegated

19. DELBOY64 says:

very good player and talking about us the fans and how he would love to play for us i bet he is not on much either a no brainer to me,see Garvan he aint mentioned that he wants to play in a standard he just wants to play

20. MFC Lion says:

We finally get in a loan player who performs well, the fans all rate him and like him and the bloke himself actually wants to sign for us!

How often does this scenario happen at Millwall?

21. mewall62 says:

He's one of them people were age is not a issue, he was rapid good with the ball passing was top drawer, great space finder exactly what we need, Hoff will be a different class when match fit giant and awkward and know where to be feed him from the wings 20 goals plus next year, don't know about Morro?

22. benzo says:

Quality player. Has to be next priority after Forde if we can get him to sign.

23. Millwall1979 says:

Definitely worth a deal if we can find the money for s*** like hoyte we can offer Carlos a rolling year

24. Big Millwall says: