Holloway sets out plan for "seamless club" to Millwall board

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

IAN Holloway has been presenting his plan for a "seamless club" to the Millwall board during a three-day meeting this week.

Setting out his vision for the future, the Lions boss told directors how he wants to build up the club's infrastructure so that it will be ready, one day, for Premier League football.

Holloway believes a "two-pronged attack" will be needed, whereby Millwall make changes to their academy and broaden their scouting network.

The Lions' annual strategy meeting, at The Grove hotel in Hertfordshire, finishes today. On Wednesday, Holloway will be told of his budget for next season.

"This is a Millwall thing with all of the investors – they have all come a long way so it's nice to cram it all in, meet with them and go through one or two things," Holloway said.

"We've been looking at how I want the club to be run and how I want it to be set up.

"I want a seamless club in which the youth team and the first team do the same things and play the same style of play.

"It's all very positive and a nice way to finish after a great run like that. There's been a lot to talk about but we've managed to dig ourselves out of a hole and now we can move on.

"I've been here for four months now and I've had a look at how the place runs.

"I have got my own model for doing things from when I was at Blackpool, but to be honest when we had success there it wasn't really carried through in the way I'd planned.

"That is why I am not there anymore. Hopefully I'll have a chance to set something up, get it moving and build something.

"I saw the true potential of the support last weekend and it has made me realise even more what we could do here.

"I've been preparing for this meeting for a while. Andy Ambler and I are given the trust of the chairman to run the club and between the two of us we've got a fair bit of experience.

"It's nice to be treated in that ilk and hopefully we can push the club forward."

Holloway wants Millwall to have a clear strategy when it comes to recruiting new players – both at first-team and academy level.

"It's about where we get our players from, how we get them and who we've got," he said.

"We need to add to our structure so that we can function in the way a bigger club would and get a recruitment network set up that would be sustainable in the Premier League.

"I believe I needed that at Blackpool and Palace but I didn't have it. So having experienced that, I now know what we need to do and how to do it.

"It has to be a two-pronged attack – having the right academy set up and bringing young players through is a big part of a community club like Millwall.

"I want to integrate them and get the academy ready so that the nine and ten-year-olds are doing things I would want them to do when they get into the first team.

"I'm really excited about it and I think the chairman is as well. It's great to get in front of the board and actually thrash it out and talk about how we're going to do things."

74 thoughts on “Holloway sets out plan for "seamless club" to Millwall board

• May 7, 2014 at 10:26

Wow...a manager that has a plan for the future and is willing to boost the youth ranks as opposed to a manager running the team on a game by game basis (Lomas!!) and utilising loanees...the future looks bright, the future looks blue & white.

• May 7, 2014 at 10:50

@vonhardshaft: Yes really pleased that we stayed up - and thanks to IH for his undoubted contribution - despite some of his hair brain team selections and substitutions.
      What worries me now is that apparently the core of the team is fine - I don't think so. Two consecutive years of great escapes speaks volumes for the team - especially this years forwards - who were the worst ever.
      Maybe IH has already seen next seasons playing budget and only now considers the squad core as OK accordingly
      Be interesting to see ins and outs.

• May 7, 2014 at 14:46

@crow191049: I am also worried about the comment that the core of the team is fine and in an earlier article that he doesn't foresee many changes. Of the team that went on the 8 match unbeaten run Edwards and Garvan are only on loan and the Hoff on a short term contract. We have a replacement for Garvan in Upson but does this mean that Edwards and the Hoff will be offered permanent contracts? As you say the forwards were the worse ever and all we have for next season so far are Easter, Marquis and McDonald. Unless we sign more firepower we will struggle again for goals.

• May 7, 2014 at 11:23

@vonhardshaft: that should be interesting about all the teams playing the same way since Ollie changes our formation more times than Russell Brand changes his girlfriends !

• May 7, 2014 at 11:59

@southstandview:

In fairness to Olly he did say very early on and publicly that he'd do changes which others would not agree with. And some formations and actions have looked strange.

The most radical was the shake up before the Forest game - and look where that went.

Dunney in a new position and captain???

But - it could have gone like a Led Zeppelin and crashed and burned. It took some confidence to do that - but where else was there to go? Lions were bottom of the League.

The Birmingham game was set up bizarrely and that didn't work - but you have to trust the manager.

What is good about this thread is that he's now able to stand back, think and plan more strategically. He's averted the immediate threat - now to plan forward.

And to quote Churchill so we don't get too far ahead of ourselves:

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

(It's not often I get to refer to a rock band and Churchill in the same thread)

• May 7, 2014 at 13:21

@vonhardshaft: Jackett ruined our youth policy and started this loan rubbish, he got us where we are but robbed us of our future players.

• May 7, 2014 at 13:59

@vonhardshaft: Only about 200 of us Millwall fans attended the Charity Match at the New Den on Tuesday night. ( only £ 5 - 00 entrance ) must be said that some supporters should hang their heads in SHAME ! ). we did see some familiar faces that go to the away travel , well done to them. Result : 4 - 2 .

• May 7, 2014 at 14:31

@BUSHWACKER14: I wont hang my head in shame,stupid statement by you bushwhacker.

• May 7, 2014 at 15:52

@jim1222: That's Fine, at least we know you did NOT support Neil Harris, all the other Players and Millwalls club/ shirt sponsors ( prostrate cancer ). We will leave it like that ! Thanks.

• May 7, 2014 at 16:44

@BUSHWACKER14: No we wont leave it there some of us have to work,so before you get high and mighty about who should attend or not ,just mind your own business ok,you went thats good give your self a big pat on the back,as i said mind your own business.

• May 7, 2014 at 17:21

@BUSHWACKER14: Okay, Okay, Sounds like we've HIT a SORE - POINT ! ( somebody who could have afforded it, did not bother - ) LOL.

• May 7, 2014 at 19:19

6 & 7 year olds playing like our first team? Make a change form our first team playing like 6 year olds!! Jokes aside I hope it works out. Youth is so important fir a club like ours. There's some quality out there just hope we don't flog them to soon

• May 7, 2014 at 10:26

Stand your ground Olie. Go get'em mate..

COYL!!!!!

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.