Millwall boss doesn't foresee "massive changes" in summer

©
©

IAN Holloway has revealed that he is unlikely to make "massive changes" to the Millwall squad this summer.

The Lions boss will attend a three-day board meeting this week to plan for the future and has revealed he plans to build a new team around the existing "core" of players.

Holloway admitted that Millwall's end-of-season form has made him reconsider the extent of the overhaul needed at The Den during the close season.

"I've literally ripped up the list of transfer targets – so well done to my players," he said.

"It's all about wanting to be here, playing the way that I want and showing passion – and I think you can see that.

"We need to keep the ball and be a bit braver, and the fans need to understand where I'm going, but I'm really looking forward to next season.

"I'm excited about the young players at the club, getting the balance of the squad right and trying to get a better team for the chairman because he deserves one.

"He's a wonder fella and I've really enjoyed working with Andy Ambler – how calm he is and how he works.

"I'm looking forward to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday because I've already got some things worked out and written down to show to the board.

"I want to grow the club and I'm excited about doing that. We've got five or six young kids who I can't wait to work with.

"I'm going to dissect what we've already got, who we're already committed to and where that leaves us with Financial Fair Play, because there are new rules coming in.

"The chairman might have to spend some money to make massive changes but I'm not sure I want to really. We've got a core going.

"I want to move the place forward. I'll have a little bit of time off and I'll be on the phone left, right and centre but I've got a chief scout and last year I didn't have one at Palace.

"That damn nearly killed me!"

110 thoughts on “Millwall boss doesn't foresee "massive changes" in summer

• May 5, 2014 at 09:20

So Ollie it's good to are that you have a core but the deadwood needs to chopped from the club and a good balance between the up and coming youngsters and experience pro's . I think next season we will move forward and not be in the same position as we have been this and last season

• May 5, 2014 at 09:30

Surely with the loanees and players out of contract we will see pretty much a different squad. Morison, Jackson, meirhoffer, lowry, fredericks, Edwards, martin, forde, Feeney and garvan could all be gone and that would leave us bare bones. Players such as wright, smith, bywater, marquis, abdou will not push us forward. So there needs to be changes.

• May 5, 2014 at 09:38

Is there a reasonable chance that some of that group of out of contracts/ loanees can be retained?and which ones do ya reckon would be a good fit in a reworked squad? @glenbur:

• May 5, 2014 at 09:45

@glenbur: hope your not right about the players left behind glenbur, god help us, we need big changes ( like forwards?).

• May 5, 2014 at 09:52

@foxy: def keep Carlos Edwards and Maierhofer, both have shown that they offer something missing from our squad. Still undecided what I think of Moro

• May 5, 2014 at 10:33

@glyngo: sorry I'd bin stefan 2 goals in 11 appearances is not good enough in fact I'd bin all of the strikers

• May 5, 2014 at 10:54

@southstandview: well said glyngo, I've lost count how many times I've posted that we nee d top class strikers, and before anyone starts saying what top striker would play for us remember money talks.

• May 5, 2014 at 10:57

@southstandview: think the Hof is getting better each game - he was severely unfit when he signed - think we should keep him - Moro and Jackson cost far too much in wages for what they bring though - sack em!

• May 5, 2014 at 11:55

@glyngo: I think we should keep Moro, whilst he wasnt a prolific goal scorer the ones he did get probably went a long way in keeping our status. Also he had poor service initially.

• May 7, 2014 at 12:20

@glyngo: agree, Carlos has done well, the hoff shows potential and can add a different dimension. Keep in mind he is still not fit enough! Morrison can crawl back where he came from, can't win a header when challenged, no pace, and bloody lazy. SJ hasn't got it, those two misses Saturday said it all. Don't think dunny is consistent enough, bailey a maybe. Haven't seen enough of chaplow to be impressed. I would keep the hoff, Easter, Martin, woolford, Bailey, garvan, Malone, Beevers, not sure about lowry, shittu and Robinson as they haven't had a great season

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.