Dunne hopes to be rewarded for form with new Millwall deal

©

©

ALAN Dunne hopes to be rewarded for his storming end to the season by being offered an extension to his Millwall contract.

Dunne's return to the side coincided with the eight-game unbeaten that saw the Lions climb out of the drop zone and reach Championship safety on the final day of the campaign.

The 31-year-old, who was also made captain by boss Ian Holloway, has another 12 months remaining on his current deal but hopes to extend his two-decade stay at The Den further.

"I've got a year left - I signed an extension last summer - but I hope to speak to the club and try to change that, because I think that's what I deserve," Dunne said.

Asked whether he was Millwall's lucky charm during their final run-in, which culminated in a 1-0 win over Bournemouth on Saturday, Dunne added:

"I don't know about luck, but it was a change that the manager made eight games ago when everybody had written us off.

"He put me at centre half - I had never played there before in my career - and he made me captain, which was a big statement and a massive risk.

"Since then, we've been unbeaten and won against three of the top six sides. We've played well, dominated most of those games and deserved the points we've come out with."

Dunne and his teammates were mobbed by delirious fans after their second-tier status was secured for another year with victory over Eddie Howe's Cherries.

He said: "I couldn't breathe at one point when they were surrounding me! You knew it was going to happen - they tell them not to come on, but it's the one day they can get on.

"It's all part of the emotion. It was a fantastic atmosphere on Saturday - one of the best I've ever seen at The Den during my time here. Every single one of the fans was fantastic.

"That sort of crowd gives such a lift to the players and with them behind us we could be a strong force at home."

Asked for his overall assessment of the campaign, Dunne said: "At the beginning it didn't work out.

"It wasn't Steve Lomas' fault but he just wasn't the right man for the job - Ian Holloway is experienced and we need that in this division.

"The last eight games have been the turning point but since Holloway's come in we have played really well and we should have picked up more results.

"After he had a month in charge, things started to turn for us and the formation we were playing was hurting teams. The match stats prove that.

"It was only a matter of time before the results changed and things started to tick after we beat Nottingham Forest away.

"I'm disappointed the season has come to an end because we're one of the in-form teams in the league, and when you're playing well and winning you don't want it to end.

"It's a shame we've got to have a break because, with the momentum we've got, we would match any team in this league. I think we've got a chance of doing well next season.

"If we build on what we have achieved already, with the manager we have got, we got a strong chance of achieving something."

Dunne also revealed that Holloway was in the thick of the post-match celebrations in the Lions' dressing room.

"Ollie did the Great Escape dance after the game," he said. "I think he is very proud of the players.

"He's put so much work in on the training field, more than anyone I've ever worked under, over and over again, even when the results weren't coming.

"When people wrote us off after the Birmingham game, he still believed in us, and said that if we carried on doing the right things it will work itself out.

"It slowly did and he deserves massive credit. He's a fantastic guy and a manager."

Comments

1. carewlion says:

Dunne you have blue Millwall blood running thru your veins and you had the balls to say something to your team mates yes your not the most gifted player but you play with with your heart and always give us 100% I would rather have players like you then have wage thieves in the team well done .

• ascot lion says:

@carewlion: I agree with you 1.000.000 0/0
      Onwards & upwards ,,,,,C O Y L

• @carewlion: I agree with you 100% over the last few months the amount of negativity that has been posted on this cite have been unbelievable . Alen Dunne is a great example of WHAT MILLWALL IS ABOUT a one club man very rare today or some might say not good enough at a higher level ,every manager that has been here never thinks he is their first choise yet they have been and gone and Dunny is still here . IT was a very intersting tht I H made him captain after the blast that Dunny gave the changing room he does have BLUE BLOOD IN HIS VIENS and if you asked him to lye down on the middle lane of the M 25 for MILLWALL HE WOULD DO IT , keep him as Captain he will certianly make the atomspher in the dressing room to feel like Millwall of old to make it a crime to take a point at the DEN . Defanitly extend his contract

2. Block 8 says:

Sign up for another 3 years Dunney. You deserve it mate , proper Millwall , through and through.

• Micky Lions says:

@Block 8: I've always liked Dunne. A proper Millwall player - not always the most gifted, but gives his all and is 100% Millwall. It's not coincidence that he's played under so many managers.

3. grassgrower says:

Youre,s is a great story dunney, a 1 club man for his whole career is fantastic in this day n age. And to make a transformation late to play a key role in keepin ya club alive , mate , love it. I guess time will tell if you can sort a contract out but you're the garry mcintosh of millwall. Macca knocked back numerous offers in football in Australia to stay with his original club and was adored for it. Sorry to bore ya with the details but I reckon there's a lot to be said for loyalty in sport, anyway good luck with it and thanks for the effort mate.

4. DELBOY64 says:

ecellent Dunney u made a difference to us playing at centre half and to captain us is the highest accolade so well done mate and thank you. Now going the other way is Dannynguessan who got released by swindon hahahaha laughed my fu-king head off

5. CrawleyLion says:

I have supported dunney and Robbo through this season through the hard times when both of them were getting absolutely torn apart on here and look at Saturday dunney was top class and Robbo did a great job coming on

Always support your club legends... They will always deliver when it counts

6. block 28 says:

Well done millwall through & through give that man a contract.

7. Luke ColdBlow10 says:

OLLIE - SIGN HIM UP!
    OLLIE OLLIE - SIGN HIM UP!!!
    WELL DONE DUNNEY..... LEGEND!!!!

8. Adsy77777 says:

The move to centre back and making him captain certainly brought the most out of Dunney. It certainly seems to have improved his discipline as well as his performance. Well done.

9. timchimes says:

it is hard to quantify the points you get from Dunne's contribution of spirit and work rate; however who do you want playing right back , him or Edwards? - We should not let emotion get in the way of hard decisions - personally I think it is fine to keep Dunne and Robbo to be figures around the dressing room, but I would be concerned if we tried to get through a season with Dunne and Beevers as first choice CB with Robbo and Shittu for back-up because if we lose Lowry (who I don't rate - he neither has the speed of a full back or the physical command of a CB) that is what we are left with .

I have been impressed with how much better Beevers looks under Holloway - he was shambolic at times under Lomas - He now controls balls and finds people with passes - Dunne looks better now because what he is being asked to do is more simple - less options - at full back when he was expected to link up play by running with the ball or going on overlaps he couldn't - Ollie recognised that immediately and that is why Fredricks came in and then Edwards. if we could find another quality centre back and Malone and Edwards stay clear of injury (we have no proper cover at left back) we can develop that back to front style of play Holloway wants

• waterloolion says:

@timchimes: Excellent post, Tim. I pretty much agree on all counts. I would say though that Shittu and Lowry as a pairing looked pretty solid (if a bit crude) until Danny got injured.

Dunney has had more lives than most cats and I have to say he's stepped up in these last 8 games. Maybe this is his position, where his bad positional decisions won't cost him and where he won't be keeping a good attacking full back out of the side. But much as I appreciate what Dunney's done, he's always thought of himself (on websites) as a better player than most of us fans saw week in week out, and whilst this isn't going to be popular given the euphoria of the last few days, I can't honestly see that handing him an expensive long-term contract makes a lot of sense. It's a very expensive way of saying thank you!
      Being a loyal Millwall player with blue blood is obviously massively important, not least for what it brings to the dressing room, but let's not get carried away with how we see Dunney's qualities as a player. If he does settle into this CB role over the next season then I'll be more than happy if they give him an extension!

Mark Beevers has always looked like a decent player but he was suffering from what looked like a real lack of confidence earlier in the season and Olly seems to have given him back his belief, and I really think this is one of IH's biggest strengths. If he likes you he'll support you and bring the best out of you - if he doesn't he'll let you know and let the public know as well. (He's not known for diplomacy or discretion being the better part of valour. )

10. Bexley_Lion says:

Dunne is reborn at Centre Half, you would of thought that at any point in his career including himself and Beevers started to look his more rock solid self when playing alongside Dunney which was great to see. Even when Robbo came on against Bournemouth he looked solid as well. Malone has really stepped up and I wold love to see Carlos Edwards get give a one year deal great pace and experience. All calming influences and if Forde signs a new deal well it all really bodes well for next season!

11. jim1222 says:

dunne i have been very critical of you but the bournmouth game is the best i have seen you play at millwall,and with your dressing room rant that made IH give you the captains arm band i think you deserve your contract extension,you can be a good utility player for us as you have proven this last eight games.I am in the process of wiping the egg off my face as far as you are concerned.

12. lionheart says:

well dunne son i know u love it down the den u must be well proud

13. lukesmithmfc says:

Congrats mr dunne.
    Thanks for your loyalty and proper hard work
    You more than deserve a contract extn.
    Millwall through and through.
    Thanks for proving me wrong time and time again.
    Me thinks you deserve player of the yr
    1) For all the stick i've given you
    2) For never giving up on yourself when everyone around does just that.
    3) For having the chuddies to tell those so called team mates exactly what this place means to you and whats expected whilst wearing our shirt.
    Good on you dunney.

14. WestKentLion says:

Has to be a rolling 1 year contract for me. So if we get to the Prem our championship quality players like Dunney can move on and make way for the new batch of players that would have to come in if we were to have a cat in hells of surviving in the top flight. In Ollie We Trust,

15. Why are our players asking for new deals already? Don't get me wrong a few deserve a new deal extension but make no mistake... When they ask for new deal it's not about staying longer it's also about asking for more money.... We have had a great last 8 and I've been their all season but do they deserve any more money than the thousands a week they are already on? It's easy to forget how s*** they was before I was there start to finish... Maybe the players should play for cheaper next season and drop ticket prices for our loyalty to them...???

16. beedoscores says:

I had to read the comments from Dunne more than once as I couldn't believe what I was reading. He thinks he deserves an extension to his contract. Does he even know how he played for most of the season, apart from when he played at CB. He was absolute s****, even more evident when we had a decent RB in Carlos Edwards. He should see how he gets on this year before demanding longer term deals.

• Barnlion says:

@beedoscores: At last someone who has taken the whole season into account rather than a few weeks towards the end, also the 35 year old right back Carlos Edwards stays next season then I cant see Dunne getting back at right back, so as a centre back who either passes back to Forde or along the back line to Beveers, or jus as the panic sets in the big boot up field into touch, or putting a team mate under pressure with a doggy pass??

17. harry2310 says:

I think Dunne being at the club for as long he has, working with several managers tells its own story. Well done Dunney you deserve an extension as far as I'm concerned.

• @harry2310:

True Harry but its easy to be a one club man when no other clubs has ever tabled a bid for you.
      Millwall have employed him for 10 years + and the past four five seasons on a decent salary.
      House & Luxury Cars all paid for by Millwall fans... We have just styed up by the skin of our teeth and he's calling for new deal already???

Dont get me wrong I would give him extension but no way would i up his wages..... Robbie Ryan tried the same thing a few years back.... Turned down the deal offered.... Nobody came in for him and he ended up at Welling United on bus drivers wages (no offence to bus drivers btw)

Millwall players need to chill and play harder next year because you boys only played 8 games of football this season.

• grassgrower says:

@JONO: interesting and valid points you make but I reckon that's a long time to survive at this level, he would've been involved with countless managers , CEO,s etc etc during his career and surely would've been shown the door by this stage if he wasn't worthwhile and when you consider the amount of journeymen n freeloaders who travel through clubs both on the field n off who contribute little , pick up decent salaries then when it all gets a bit hard just pack up and move on to their next victim , I gots lots of time for the dunnes of this world, although at the end of a career wages do have to be balanced. Good on JB n co for waiting till seasons end before making any commitments.

18. Jim28 says:

There are good reasons why players are asking now..2 months ago JB would not entertain contract talks until the season finished...that included 5 players who's contract expires...saying this no deals will be done until JB,IH,& the bnard thrash out there plan for next year..

19. Big Millwall says:

Mr Dunne desrves a new contract.