Millwall boss plays down Beevers' clash with QPR supporter

©

©

IAN Holloway has played down an incident in which Mark Beevers was kneed in the back by a QPR fan after Saturday's 1-1 draw at Loftus Road.

Hoops supporters invaded the pitch at the final whistle to mark their last home league game of the season but one slid into Beevers while he was lying on the ground injured.

Beevers, who had been playing with a glute problem, had to be helped to the dressing room by Lions medical staff.

The defender told NewsAtDen: "I couldn't move during the last ten minutes.

"I've been feeling my glute all week - it's like a dead leg. It's very sore every time I land on it.

"I did it in the first half and had to ice it at half time. At the final whistle, I sat down because I could barely stand up. I was obviously tired and my leg was sore.

"I was facing towards the dugout when the fans started running on. One of them steamed in and slipped, on his knees, and his knees went straight into my back, full force.

"I was shocked because I didn't see him coming and I wasn't braced for the impact. It was really sore."

When asked about the incident in his post-match press conference, Holloway saw the funny side.

He said: "Someone ran on and slipped over. The lads are laughing at Beeves because he got done by a 12-year-old!

"He's a practical joker anyway. He had a bag of ice on his back - God knows what happened.

"I don't blame QPR fans for running on the pitch. Beeves will be fine for the next game.

"People get a bit excited and maybe they shouldn't run on the pitch, but I can tell you that pitch is pretty slippery!"

Comments

1. Shut the place !! Along with points deduction, large fine and stern warning .

• bermlion says:

@frank: GOOD MONDAY MORNING TO ALL
      AT NEWS AT DEN !!!
      AFTER A BRILLIANT WEEK END, WE CAN NOW STRAT THE BUILD - UP TO OUR FINAL GAME
      AT THE NEW DEN ON SATURDAY.
      I'M PRETTY SURE THAT THIS WILL BE A GAME THAT MILLWALL FANS WILL COME ALONG TO
      WITNESS [ IF THEY HAVE NOT MANAGED TO SEE A GAME ALL SEASON ],
      SO A LARGE GATE CAN BE EXPECTED.
      I REALLY DON'T SEE WHY THE BOARD DO NOT BRING THE PRICE OF TICKETS DOWN !!
      [ TAKE A LEAF OUT OF THE BLACKPOOL BOARD LAST SATURDAY........................
      THEY GAVE THREE AND A HALF THOUSAND [ 3,500 ], FREE TICKETS TO THEIR FANS TO VISIT WIGAN ]
      AND IT " WORKED " BLACKPOOL WON, WITH THE SUPPORT THEY GOT.
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN.....................GIVES THIS MESSAGE TO THE BOARD !!!!!

• bonnie1272 says:

@bermlion: berm - someone like you should have stood against Garston.

And that comment is no reflection on Paul turner whom I have never met.

• BUSHWACKER14 says:

@bonnie1272: Yes bonnie1272, we would have Voted for Stormin' Norman. ( Stand next time Norm ).

• bermlion says:

@bonnie1272: THATS A NICE THOUGHT
          GUYS..................[ AND THANK YOU ] !!!!
          BUT, I'M SURE WHO EVER IS DOING IT [ PETER OR PAUL ],
          WILL DO A GOOD JOB.
          ===========
          I'VE READ THE CONCERNS MENTIONED ON THIS SITE, IE : TICKETS FOR AWAY GAME,
          ETC, ETC............AND IT WOULD BE A START TO VENTURE THAT DIRECTION !!!!
          I ALSO REALISE THATS THE POLICE HAVE A BIG SAY IN ALL THIS, BUT SURELY, THATS
          WHAT THEY ARE PAID FOR !!! [ IF THERE IS A HOLLIGAN PROBLEM THEY MUST ADDRESS
          IT THE BEST WAY THEY CAN ]..
          WHY SHOULD LAW ABIDING SUPPORTERS SUFFER, MISS OUT ON MATCHES THAT THEY
          WANTED TO GO AND SEE.
          [ OTHER CLUBS SEEM TO GET A MUCH BIGGER ALLOCATION ]
          " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
          STORMIN' NORMAN

2. Its all well good you playing the incident down...these are the things what cause crowd trouble..and can you imagine the outcome if this happened at the den

• dpendet says:

@Jim28: would of been on the front pages of every national paper if one of our supporters had done it to that div Joey Barton!
      Well done Mark Beevers for not making a meal out of it.

• eddiebrewer says:

@Jim28: you are right not even mentioned on the football league show and sky if it had been at the Den would have got full media coverage did not even mention the dodgy penalty like they did with Wigan,any way who needs them

3. Apparently the guy who kneed Beevers slipped and if so, what can you really do? It was an accident, no harm done really.

• tonytowneronthewing says:

@Alan.F:

Totally agree.....as a Millwall fan ii is nothing to get excited about at all....how I groan when people whinge at us for a plastic bottle incident ......was it the birmingham keeper who made a right meal of it and gave the bottle to the ref

It was a non event....young lad fell over and beevers happened to be there ....move on

• I remember when the leeds keeper walkf out of his area & picked up a fag & gave it to the ref..headline in the paper saying a missile was thrown at keeper.. Wot a t*****

• southlondon1885 says:

No it was Kirkland from Wednesday who ran around to ref grassing that an empty plastic bottle had been thrown on the pitch landing about 15 yards from him. It was to waste more time taking the goal kick as they were 1-0 up at the time. He's a disgrace to football and his face is a disgrace to mankind. As for Millwall, come on lads, one last effort on Saturday. Miiiii

• Micky Lions says:

@Alan.F: It might have been an innocent accident, but I still think the lad should be sent on a Racial Awareness course.

4. Next 5 games behind closed doors, statement from David Camoron, police inquiry, fence erected around pitch, membership scheme, & petition started in 'the sun' to close the ground........ ?

5. tonytowneronthewing says:

35 point deduction would be fair

6. block 28 says:

Does that mean it will be alright for our young fans to go on the pitch after next Saturdays game. Or will that p**** on the tannoy keep screaming at people to get off the pitch & our fans moan at em.

7. Well done to beever for not retaliating really.

8. Lincolnshire Lion says:

Well done Mark unlike the untouchable Marvin who grizzled coz he got called a fish.

9. BUSHWACKER14 says:

As we said had it been at Millwall, the FA and Press would be shouting for the place to be SHUT! ( bad enough the Police herding us all through town, not knowing where the were taking us ).

10. carewlion says:

@Luke ColdBlow10: Luke your out of order rember Bradford and the fire show some respect

• eddiebrewer says:

@carewlion: nicely put,remember the man running across the pitch with coat on fire,we got result against a team full of premier players that's good enough for me,going down from Accrington for the Bournmouth game

• carewlion says:

@eddiebrewer: safe journey Eddie

• eddiebrewer says:

@carewlion: thanks me and my cousin will be there,it is good Ollie sticks up for fans, the Mail being giving bad press for us since the sixties,once showed a picture of fans at Southend having there bootlaces removed and it was about two years old,hope to see you at the Bournmouth game

• carewlion says:

@eddiebrewer: trying to get down from Seaton Carew for the last game if season and to support IH and the team

• eddiebrewer says:

@carewlion: Hope you do make it,coming down Friday have alook round my old area Surrey Docks,then like you cheer the lads and Ollie on and have a good end to the season,go home happy still a championship team

• I read in friday's SLP that forde wants to stay at millwall and as asked hollaway for a new contract ..considering his performance's of late reckon he's earned it

• @carewlion: I doubt Luke was thinking of the Bradford tragedy when he wrote a simple sarcastic comment. No need to jump on the comment lads. Bradford was a terrible tragedy but not anything to do with the comment above.

• Luke ColdBlow10 says:

@glyngo: @glyngo: Thanks glyngo, it was meant as an extreme exaggeration of franks top comment... The Daily Mail still managed to put a picture of our fans pushing a barrier over yesterday... that picture was 1 out of the 3 used..! Ridiculous. You've gotta laugh!
        The way QPR fans behaved yesterday and a few years ago down at the den when we beat em never got mentioned... anyone remember that, behind the dockers stand..?

• carewlion says:

@Luke ColdBlow10: Luke typical d mail if we caught we get blamed for Asian flu but we take on tne chin more pleased with what Ollie said about us NOLU

• Luke ColdBlow10 says:

@carewlion: Innocent until proven guilty for most clubs.... Guilty until proven innocent for Millwall.
            Yeah, watched IH interview on lions player this morning - he was proud of us, and rightly so, we were immense yesterday- the noise was fantastic! It's refreshing when a manager sees it how, we, the fans see it. Would've been terrible to be robbed of a point by a decision like that.. never a hand ball... I felt KJ lacked a bit in this department - he was more inclined to say 'no comment' or words to that effect... nice when the gaffer shows a similar amount of passion as the fans and says it how he honestly sees it... COYL.

• carewlion says:

@Luke ColdBlow10: your right with that coment about KJ and other managers now we need make that nose again get behind the team and drown out any moaners let them all come down to the Den.

• Will be abot 12000 next saturday more then enough to drown out the moaners...COME ON YOU LIONS

• Luke ColdBlow10 says:

@carewlion: Yeah I guess you're right - DEATH by fire might've been a bit harsh.... maybe we could just burn the place down while empty?? And when I say 'we' - I mean in conjunction with the government, met police and media.... Happy medium... Fair's fair...??
      Also, as well as human s**t- maybe some of that horse sh*t I walked through yesterday could be put to good use in quelling the flames....?

11. Had the guy injured Beevers it might have been a serious incident, we need him for next week, but as no intent or harm done, no big deal!

12. carewlion says:

The QPR fans are like train spotters west London cousins spotty and harmless

13. carewlion says:

Edited the missing word lol
    Apr 27 - 14:57
    @Luke ColdBlow10: Luke typical d mail if we caught we get flu blamed for Asian flu but we take on tne chin more pleased with what Ollie said about us NOLU

14. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2613816/QPR-1-1-Millwall-match-report-Scott-Malone-leaves-late-claw-Lions-away-relegation-zone.html..........
    I commented on their photo caption, but the biased b******* rejected it !

15. block 28 says:

Off topic did u see the rows of empty seats in the lower tier u can't tell me the spotty fvckers in that area could of been moved to allow millwall fans in. FOTB about time u fvcked off & take ambler with u

16. NICKOLA says:

It's not newsworthy because it wasn't a negative for Millwall. That's the way the world turns.
    If Blackpool can win at Wigan, anything is possible on Saturday. That's what I'm concentrating on, me and my calculator, so I hope everyone at the Den is in the same mindset.
    Mouth watering games next season if we can stay in the Championship. An interesting close season with all the possible ins and outs. Let's make sure we are looking down at 5pm and not up.

17. lion.ie says:

Feet on the ground time folks.
    The last time we had a convincing win at home Lomas was in charge so next week is far from a formality and talk of the play-offs next year is ridiculous.
    It's hard to believe that Doncaster will stop Leicester breaking the 100 point mark, but after Blackpool's win yesterday nothing is out of the question.
    Tuesday's a big night. A point or more for Birmingham and/or Charlton changes the picture massively.
    It's in our hands though and a month ago we were preparing for League One and talking about clearing out the squad and giving the youth a chance. COYL

18. Mill_Stocky says:

I was there, I saw the incident, if it was a 12 year old then he was big 12 year old and he didn't trip accidentally! I'm not saying the QPR fan deliberately set out to try and hurt a MFC player, but he definitely meant to slide as if he'd just scored a goal and was celebrating it like, like a lot of goal scorers do!

• @Mill_Stocky: thanks for that i was starting to think i had s*** in my eyes cos i saw what you saw...beevers was lying on the ground with 3 orange shirted players round him...that fan is either blind or he thought it would be funny...s***

Add Comment Register