Millwall boss plays down Beevers' clash with QPR supporter

©
©

IAN Holloway has played down an incident in which Mark Beevers was kneed in the back by a QPR fan after Saturday's 1-1 draw at Loftus Road.

Hoops supporters invaded the pitch at the final whistle to mark their last home league game of the season but one slid into Beevers while he was lying on the ground injured.

Beevers, who had been playing with a glute problem, had to be helped to the dressing room by Lions medical staff.

The defender told NewsAtDen: "I couldn't move during the last ten minutes.

"I've been feeling my glute all week – it's like a dead leg. It's very sore every time I land on it.

"I did it in the first half and had to ice it at half time. At the final whistle, I sat down because I could barely stand up. I was obviously tired and my leg was sore.

"I was facing towards the dugout when the fans started running on. One of them steamed in and slipped, on his knees, and his knees went straight into my back, full force.

"I was shocked because I didn't see him coming and I wasn't braced for the impact. It was really sore."

When asked about the incident in his post-match press conference, Holloway saw the funny side.

He said: "Someone ran on and slipped over. The lads are laughing at Beeves because he got done by a 12-year-old!

"He's a practical joker anyway. He had a bag of ice on his back – God knows what happened.

"I don't blame QPR fans for running on the pitch. Beeves will be fine for the next game.

"People get a bit excited and maybe they shouldn't run on the pitch, but I can tell you that pitch is pretty slippery!"

53 thoughts on “Millwall boss plays down Beevers' clash with QPR supporter

• April 27, 2014 at 10:44

Shut the place !! Along with points deduction, large fine and stern warning .

• April 28, 2014 at 08:24

@frank: GOOD MONDAY MORNING TO ALL
      AT NEWS AT DEN !!!
      AFTER A BRILLIANT WEEK END, WE CAN NOW STRAT THE BUILD - UP TO OUR FINAL GAME
      AT THE NEW DEN ON SATURDAY.
      I'M PRETTY SURE THAT THIS WILL BE A GAME THAT MILLWALL FANS WILL COME ALONG TO
      WITNESS [ IF THEY HAVE NOT MANAGED TO SEE A GAME ALL SEASON ],
      SO A LARGE GATE CAN BE EXPECTED.
      I REALLY DON'T SEE WHY THE BOARD DO NOT BRING THE PRICE OF TICKETS DOWN !!
      [ TAKE A LEAF OUT OF THE BLACKPOOL BOARD LAST SATURDAY........................
      THEY GAVE THREE AND A HALF THOUSAND [ 3,500 ], FREE TICKETS TO THEIR FANS TO VISIT WIGAN ]
      AND IT " WORKED " BLACKPOOL WON, WITH THE SUPPORT THEY GOT.
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN.....................GIVES THIS MESSAGE TO THE BOARD !!!!!

• April 28, 2014 at 18:57

@bermlion: berm - someone like you should have stood against Garston.

And that comment is no reflection on Paul turner whom I have never met.

• April 28, 2014 at 20:43

@bonnie1272: Yes bonnie1272, we would have Voted for Stormin' Norman. ( Stand next time Norm ).

• April 29, 2014 at 08:55

@bonnie1272: THATS A NICE THOUGHT
          GUYS..................[ AND THANK YOU ] !!!!
          BUT, I'M SURE WHO EVER IS DOING IT [ PETER OR PAUL ],
          WILL DO A GOOD JOB.
          ===========
          I'VE READ THE CONCERNS MENTIONED ON THIS SITE, IE : TICKETS FOR AWAY GAME,
          ETC, ETC............AND IT WOULD BE A START TO VENTURE THAT DIRECTION !!!!
          I ALSO REALISE THATS THE POLICE HAVE A BIG SAY IN ALL THIS, BUT SURELY, THATS
          WHAT THEY ARE PAID FOR !!! [ IF THERE IS A HOLLIGAN PROBLEM THEY MUST ADDRESS
          IT THE BEST WAY THEY CAN ]..
          WHY SHOULD LAW ABIDING SUPPORTERS SUFFER, MISS OUT ON MATCHES THAT THEY
          WANTED TO GO AND SEE.
          [ OTHER CLUBS SEEM TO GET A MUCH BIGGER ALLOCATION ]
          " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
          STORMIN' NORMAN

• April 27, 2014 at 10:44

Its all well good you playing the incident down...these are the things what cause crowd trouble..and can you imagine the outcome if this happened at the den

• April 27, 2014 at 10:54

@Jim28: would of been on the front pages of every national paper if one of our supporters had done it to that div Joey Barton!
      Well done Mark Beevers for not making a meal out of it.

• April 27, 2014 at 11:34

@Jim28: you are right not even mentioned on the football league show and sky if it had been at the Den would have got full media coverage did not even mention the dodgy penalty like they did with Wigan,any way who needs them

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.