bestkinky

McDonald will not be forced out, vows Millwall manager

©
©

IAN Holloway has vowed he will not "slam the door" in Scott McDonald's face after holding talks with the striker about his Millwall future this week.

McDonald was left out of the Lions' 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday and it is understood the Australian has not trained at all so far this week.

Holloway admits it is possible that the 30-year-old could leave The Den before the close of the January transfer window, but says he will not force him out.

And the Millwall boss insists McDonald could still have a future in SE16.

"Scott and I have had some discussions," Holloway said. "He needs to deal with how he feels and where he is in his mind.

"I haven't got any issue with him, we're getting on fantastically well. I don't do confrontation because you never know what is going to happen. I never say never to anyone.

"But I've told him how I feel and I went without him on Tuesday night.

"If that helps him to do what I want, then there is no problem between us and I will have no issue with welcoming him back to the fold.

"But if he does what he thinks is right, and not what I think is right, then he won't be here, it is as simple as that."

McDonald's agent has been exploring possible destinations for his client ahead of Friday's 11pm deadline for transfers, with a shock move to China one option under consideration.

But Holloway said: "When you have someone who's got 18 months to go on their contract, and not just six months, it's very difficult to move them.

"But do I want to move someone who is capable of scoring a lot of goals when it's surely my job to cheer him up and make him happier?

"I think it is respectful to be straight with someone and tell them exactly what you want, what you don't like and what you want him to think about.

"I will never slam the door in anyone's face. I hear lots of managers say so-and-so will never play for them again, but that's not me.

"Why cut your nose off to spite your face? It's ridiculous.

"I've chosen not to play Scott or involve him. I've asked him to think about a few things. Me and him will be revisiting that and he'll either be playing for me again or for someone else.

"I can't tell you which way that's going to go yet."

19 thoughts on “McDonald will not be forced out, vows Millwall manager

• January 31, 2014 at 09:53

Plain talking no nonsense IH is a breath of fresh air. Can't see MCD being here much longer. He hasn't scored much so need someone who can. I think Bailey needs to go too tbh.

• January 31, 2014 at 11:05

@dude:
      Some sense from IH over the McD issue at last
      McD is a class act - we need to forget money / wages - and acknowledge ability.
      There are many others - SM for one who have not delivered thus far (until maybe very recently) - and spent lots of time sulking on and off the pitch
      Funny old game!!

• January 31, 2014 at 12:11

@crow191049: The problem is McD is injury prone, if you look at his record so far he has either been out injured or has only managed 60mins due to returning from injury. He has played very few consecutive games so he will never be a regular in the side. When fit he can be a quality player but I think the money for him can be used better elsewhere.

• January 31, 2014 at 10:03

I rate McDonald highly but the whole reason he came to us was to find his form again by playing regularly getting guaranteed first team football under his belt and pushing on to stake a claim for a call-up to the Australian team and given he is 30, it was pretty much considered the last role of the dice for him.

I think if we had Holloway at the start of the season and less behind the scenes shenanigans went on prior with Lomas, then McDonald would be far more settled and no doubt would be getting on that score sheet a lot more for us. Now with Campbell and Morison looking the more likely to be the starters, Easter staying and the potential arrival of Jackson who is also similar in stature to McDonald I just cannot see how he will fit in and be happy.

• January 31, 2014 at 10:16

I would keep him to make up one ofthe front 3...that was before i found out he didn't train??..WHX if he's injured no one will want him..IF he was sulking i'll slam his head inthe door

• January 31, 2014 at 10:36

Start afresh macca, find out where ya fit in the mix and be guided by the general IH. No individual is bigger than the club and like was said in another post things prob got right out of whack. Pull ya head in and prove ya self to everyone.

• January 31, 2014 at 11:01

@grassgrower:
      I personally dont think he sees himself as a squad player and wants a guaranteed start every week.
      That will not be the case for him here so I expect him to move on.
      I reckon this is one Aussie that doesn't like it here.
      We shall see grassgrower.

• January 31, 2014 at 11:08

@wall2wall: thanks wall2wall, appreciate the opinion on him, just hope he can see a future at this great club . Cheers.

• January 31, 2014 at 10:48

Stop me if I'm wrong but isn't 15k a week a lot just to be on the bench if that?? If he ain't in IH plans then we should be trying to push him out, yeah it's nice that's there's no conflict and that but say if he can't find a club Ain't we worse off?

• January 31, 2014 at 10:58

@conor: is he really that s*** Conor???, IH left him out to send a message to him and rightly so! There's probably a lot of head re adjusting required to a lot of people in order to straighten things up. I'm not a good judge cause I don't see the games but I lust think that a few of these blokes have run off the rails a bit but maybe alls not lost????

• January 31, 2014 at 11:05

Well done I, finally a manager who tells the players Who's the boss!

• January 31, 2014 at 11:08

Reading between the lines it seems Mcd is not willing to play the way IH wants or to accept his decisions re team selections. He has not trained all week so invetibly will not be in the first team tomorrow. If he is still at the club. I rather he goes and not Trotter.

• January 31, 2014 at 11:09

Watching us in the dismal days of Lomas, I looked at McDonald and wondered how someone that good had ended up at Millwall. He's always cut a frustrated and unhappy figure, he tries but nothing ever seems to come off. When Lomas dropped him I was demanding his recall, and when he was brought back from Middlesbrough's he behaved like a little b**** (but who didn't that night). Those who have listened to Holloway and decided they don't want to be a part of it should be moved on, he's trying to get everyone pushing in the same direction for the first time in a while. Ultimately McDonald was a stellar talent, but so was Bouazza.

• January 31, 2014 at 12:18

@jamie: Looks like Middlesboro did a number on us in more ways than one.
      Off loading McD, Bailey and Hoyte on to us. That kind of business made Twitchy look like an amateur.

• January 31, 2014 at 12:25

Agreeb@Sealion: agreed, all past their best.

• January 31, 2014 at 14:00

Mcdonald was very good with his back to goal. He's not a persistent threat and doesn't ooze goals. We would cope no problem without him

• January 31, 2014 at 14:25

I am intrigues by what SM has supposedly done to deserve this treatment, I trust IH that he would have good reason for this but it must have been pretty bad for this type of conversation to have taken place. anyone know rumours/details?

• February 1, 2014 at 01:43

Apparently he threw a tantrum at Monday training because he was left out of Tuesdays squad v shef wed

• February 1, 2014 at 07:34

Lmfao to right ih if he dont do what you want him to do at the end of the day your been in the game a lot longer and your the boss some of these players these days think they can control things why don't they just get on and do what they get payed for ....top man Holloway for sharing your honestly