bestkinky

Don't judge all Millwall fans after bottle-throwing – Holloway

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway leapt to the defence of Millwall's supporters after a plastic bottle was thrown onto the pitch during the 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday.

The bottle was thrown in the direction of Owls goalkeeper Chris Kirkland before referee Lee Probert handed it to the fourth official.

The Lions were summoned to a meeting with the Football Association to discuss incidents of missile-throwing earlier this season and could be in hot water again.

But boss Holloway says the majority of Millwall fans should not be tarred by the actions of one individual – and accused Probert of "making a big deal" of the bottle.

Holloway said: "I asked Kirkland: 'Why didn't you catch it? You've got your gloves on, why didn't you catch it and have a drink?' What is he trying to be, some sort of hero?

"Nobody wants to see that, do they? But it only takes one bloke, who probably shouldn't be drinking like that anyway, to get fed up with something.

"If everybody did their job right, we'd have had a penalty, we wouldn't have been 1-0 down, we'd have been 1-0 up.

"I'm not condoning it, we've got to stop that, but don't judge the rest of us on one bottle.

"I'm sure the people sitting around whoever threw the bottle will be ashamed of them and say, 'oi, you, what you doing?' But for me, I'd have picked it up and had a drink. Seriously.

"The ref made a big show of it. 'Oh, look at this!' Well, hang on, have a look at the penalty you should have given. Let's keep it balanced. Life is about balance.

"They cannot be right all of the time, but they can't make a great big show of a bottle. How many have we got in the crowd and how many behaved fantastically well?

"Even when the melee happened at the end. I'm proud of our supporters, I really am.

"If I find whoever threw the bottle, I won't be happy with them. If we find them, what do you think is going to happen? They'll be banned."

Holloway is determined to alter Millwall's public perception.

"I'm going to make the rest of the world see this club in a different light," he vowed.

"Unfortunately people will now write things about the old Millwall – but it was just a plastic bottle, it wasn't glass.

"It's still a 'missile', although I thought they blew people up – I didn't realise a plastic bottle is a missile. Yeah, it's wrong and I'm not excusing it and I'm not proud of it.

"This is going to be a constant thing that we get labelled with. You give me time and you'll be talking about how well my team plays football.

"That's what I'm here for and what we're going to be talking about in the very near future.

"I don't think the reputation we have is fair. But a lot of things in life aren't fair.

"People with cancer, that isn't fair, is it? Kids with leukaemia, that isn't fair, is it? We have got nothing to moan about but I'm going to make things a bit better every day.

"Even after a defeat, I am going to be the one that carries everybody and the one that keeps going. Because in life, if you want something you have to pull it out of the fire. End of story.

"I've got deaf daughters who I'm so proud of and who I love to bits. They can't hear, they've lost a sense and you've only got five senses in the first place. But that hasn't stopped them.

"I am not going to stop until people pay the fans the respect the majority of them deserve."

52 thoughts on “Don't judge all Millwall fans after bottle-throwing – Holloway

• January 29, 2014 at 01:23

Spot on IH top bloke.

• January 29, 2014 at 03:48

@nocalves: POSITIVES - Millwall did run after the ball, Shittu was MOTMatch. Lowry good till late in the game. Campbell took his chance well.

• January 30, 2014 at 09:47

@BUSHWACKER14:
        I CAN'T AGREE ANYMORE, AL THE POSITIVES ARE CORRECT,
        AND IAN HOLLOWAY IS MILLWALL THROUGH AND THROUGH,
        HE STICKS UP FOR THE SUPPORTERS, NO MATTER WHAT !!!
        [ JUST HAVE TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES ]
        " OLLIE " ITS NOT BEEN LONG... BUT YOU'VE EARNED THE RESPECT
        OF THE STORM FOR A WHOLE LIFE - TIME !!!
        " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
        STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 29, 2014 at 01:26

Holloway what a top post.... With u all of the way!!!!

• January 29, 2014 at 01:58

Dare I say you are going to be one of the quickest to ever earn the title of Millwall Legend.
    Thankyou Mr Holloway.

• January 29, 2014 at 02:36

You can already read the back pages of the papers tomorrow

'Millwall defender Lowry has battle with coke'

• January 29, 2014 at 15:20

@weststandwill: No way condoning it totally wrong, but the Everton fans were throwing coins at Suarez when he was taking a corner last night, both wrong but I would think a metal coin can do more harm than a plastic bottle, if we get charged lets see what they do to the Toffees.

We may get a stiffer sentence because allof our previous, I hope Kirkland & Probert are happy and also who ever threw the bottle.

• January 29, 2014 at 02:46

First of all i have to say i'am gunna get stick ....it was sickening to see a ref dismantle a win by mfc...this fine fella should be bqought up by the F.A..fos 1..match fixing 2..trying to cause a riot on 2 occasions..& 3..being a sad excuse for being alive....we should not be defending ourselfs the ref should...i'am sorry if i upset some fans but at dis time of night feeling chebted

• January 29, 2014 at 03:29

Ian Holloway you are CLASS. Thanks for putting the facts over.

• January 29, 2014 at 07:05

Ref absolutely made a meal of this, as did Kirkland. Pathetic, although don't condone it. Where do these p***** come from

• January 29, 2014 at 13:49

@beedoscores: wtf do millwall allow bottles to be taken into the seats anyway, why not pour it into a plastic cup or glass, theirs Noway they would even reach the pitch & would just get blown away, oh I forgot the so called stewards just like to stand around wearing orange doing f- all

• January 29, 2014 at 17:14

@mfcjon: our stewards are s*** for a start! They never check
        tickets or look remotely interested in what they're supposed to be doing. Me and my father could have easily walked in for free against Ipswich! Perhaps lots did and that's why the official attendance didn't seem close compared to the amount that were actually there!

• January 29, 2014 at 21:13

Very true Jon, it could be the solution to half of the 'missile' problem. The only other thing that gets thrown nowadays is coins (hard to stop) - but it's always knobs with bottles that pop up.. So, get rid of the bottles- and get some draught beers down in the stands! It might even solve the problem of getting a drink quicker at half time, as they can pre pour the pints (like Wembley)- and it's then no big deal taking a drink up the stands. It's like being treated like children -'You can't take your drink up there'.. Also, I'm sick of that Carlsberg p***! How about a drop of London pride or stella on draught??

• January 29, 2014 at 07:26

Ian holloway the master of perspective, u r a f***** champion !!!

• January 29, 2014 at 08:42

Ian Holloway, top post from a top fella.Still a work in progress imo. Holloway knew he had his work cut out when he got here .were moving in the right direction, and got a top manager steering us. So onwards and upwards! S*** REFS! WE ALWAYS GET S*** REFS!

• January 29, 2014 at 08:47

Brilliant what a comment!"Catch it, you had your gloves on!"

• January 29, 2014 at 09:17

You do these knobheads have to drag the club further down than it already is ??
    Away from that, good performance last night, deserved the win.

• January 29, 2014 at 09:30

I h hit the nail on the head with his wise words yet again .. But at the end ov d day why do these p***** keep lobbing stuff on the pitch as all it does is give the papers/ tv another chance to s*** off our club again & again .. He you wanna lob things take up darts & let the papers talk about our football & not a clown .. Enuf said !!

• January 29, 2014 at 09:32

I think we can all agree we have a bright future with Holloway in charge, Coyl!!!

• January 29, 2014 at 09:33

It's only news at Millwall. A few weeks ago a Swindon fan ran on the pitch and clumped the Orient goalkeeper. Sp*rs fans threw coins at Walcot and a smoke bomb at V*lla. Plastic bottles and coins are thrown every week, just watch MOTD on a Saturday evening. The difference is that when it's the perfect commercial Premier league nobody says anything and it's forgotten a day later whereas here, we can expect the usual headlines Den of Shame, crowd trouble at Millwall etc. While throwing anything on the pitch is wrong you cant help but think it's an over reaction. A plastic bottle. It would do more damage if you drank from it than got hit with it. That's the point of them aint it? I hope whoever threw it is caught and gets banned but IH has hit the nail right on the head.

And not with an empty plastic bottle.

• January 29, 2014 at 10:12

Holloway spot on again. What a dude.

• January 29, 2014 at 11:15

Very good Ollie agree with what you said esspically to the grass in there goal. but yet again 1 person has let the club down, the press wont care that this is an isolated incident and the bottle was plastic and did not hit the keeper, it will be Millwall Hoiligans on rampage again and possibly another fine which could have been used on players.

When are we who go to the games going to stop letting the rest of the supporters down, we have had this rep for nearly 90 years now, it has a good side in that we all feel that every one is against us and lets be honest they nearly all are.

But my point is I MO I think this hinders us from attarcting players and investment which could move the club forward, as the new Manager is very media saffey and is well like by the TV pudits so we now have a perfect oppountuinty to change the public's view of Millwall.

• January 29, 2014 at 11:26

Be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water, sometimes "bad press" is better than "no press" at least millwall football club is known! Rather that and it gives ya something to build on than just be another over sanitised bunch of blowhards. Sure ya can't condone mass riots and murders on the terraces but I reckon IH summed things rather well. He,s got some go in him this bloke!!!

• January 29, 2014 at 11:29

Olly top human being at a top club, now I believe there's more to come from this man.

• January 29, 2014 at 12:03

Unfortunately, It wasn't just the one bottle. I was in block 8 and it made me feel sick watching Kirkland behaving like a spoilt school boy creeping up a teachers ar*e, "look at me, I am a good boy" C**T. More worrying was the second one that just missed the referee and Morro during the ruck when the two got sent off. Sky as usual highlighted the bottle traveling from stands. What people don't realise that one day the FA are going to say enough and dock us points. Then what, we get relegated because of these incidents. Of course we all get angry at the decisions that are always not given or given against us, I felt like sticking one on Kirkland, but its the consequences for the club that is more important than anything. I think that Ollie was spot on when he talked about the referee being brave saying I'm at Millwall and I'll give them nothing, they can't touch me. We get it week in week out and there is F**C all we can do.

• January 29, 2014 at 12:29

I watched one of the ball boys go onto the pitch to remove the bottle but that Kirkland w***** stopped him from doing it so he could get the refs attention to it. Where's the mention of the kid who was proactive in his duty to do that, we'll done son.

• January 29, 2014 at 12:30

First post so be gentle, wise words and love the fact he's backing us fans and his comments are ALWAYS worth reading.

I thought we were robbed by inept officials and Kirkland should have been shown red what a tool he was.

Wednesday were tough to break down and we were frustrated at times but we kept trying to create things and eventually it paid off, DJ with a real poachers goal. .

I'll take the point especially with Charlton losing, Saturday will be a very tough game however Reading who are scoring for fun will be a lot more open and perhaps that will suit us

• January 29, 2014 at 12:34

Oh as for the bottle throwing, it's not clever, Kirkland however is a total grass! just kick it away and move on!

I remember the days of keepers being pelted withs snowballs and they got on with it. .

• January 29, 2014 at 13:12

@North London Lion: i remember that very funny..even the managers & refs use to laugh...a few years back at cardiff mfc keeper got 3 glass bottles throw at him..he just kicked them of the pitch...

• January 29, 2014 at 15:47

@Jim28:

exactly, football like the world has gone PC crazy! I'm not condoning bottle throwing but Kirkland was obviously playing for timesand got busy for no reason after all he wasn't actually hit, no wonder that Leeds fan chinned him last season. .He should definitely have been carded for his involvement in the fight late on. I didn't realize that he'd sent off a Wednesday player, I only saw Lowrey walk and I was in the West Upper last night

• January 29, 2014 at 12:49

Yes we get crap refs..but aint surpose to be linesmen there to help..i say this cos they dont seem to be doing a lot..kirkland handball out side the box how did the lino not see it.. & he's got to be in a better place to see it then that other goon... So the officials are just a bunch of criminals

• January 29, 2014 at 13:02

"It's still a 'missile', although I thought they blew people up - I didn't realise a plastic bottle is a missile" ... I.H. is ALREADY a legend!

• January 29, 2014 at 13:14

what happened to the ref had a good first half then came out for the second and turned into a complete plank must of got a phone call from the FA. as for Kirkland ran the length of the pitch to grass bywater whatever happened to the so called goalkeepers code, then intimates a young boy doing his job then handles outside his area and the ref still didn't give us anything these two idiots only shows that anyone coming to the den can get away with murder, surely now we hav a manager that's speaks his mind we can start highlighting these things and get it stopped. because this has been goin on two long..rant over;

• January 29, 2014 at 13:52

@block 28: Thought exactly the same, we were all saying at half time that the ref was doing ok for a change, WTF did they put in his half time drink? What is the point of having lino's, they only seem to be allowed to flag for offsides these days, even when the ball goes out for a throw in, they have to look at the ref before deciding what way the can give it

• January 29, 2014 at 13:34

I can now see why that Leeds fan clumped Kirkland a few seasons back. As for the bottle throwing that is our curse the initial 10000 or so who go every home game when its s*** good as gold but whenever we get good news or something to celebrate the attendance goes up and the idiots return who just want hurt our club. One day the fa will dock us points and we might even go down as a result and regardless of if the thrower is caught we won't see them for a whole season anyway as they won't watch us in a lower league.

• January 29, 2014 at 13:39

There's no point in slagging off the bottle throwers on here,they are are so thick they can't read.

• January 29, 2014 at 14:41

Plastic bottle , years ago I'm told some hit the ref with a Man-Hole cover. Now thats real class. Only Superman would be able to do that, but that old Millwall folk - law tales. Anyone remember that?

• January 29, 2014 at 15:02

yes I think it was after a game we won 5.0

• January 29, 2014 at 17:45

@block 28: the manhole cover was against wrexham he dialowed merlin's goal...other one was a cup game we were 5-0 uq last min they had the cheek 2 score..some one on the halfway lobbed concrete over the fence strubk the lino..

• January 29, 2014 at 19:21

I was there at that game jim it actually was a piece of timber terrace step edge with a ball of concrete on it,and they had at least two attempts to take out that linesman who was being a right reptile.think it might have been shrewsbury town at home about 77.jim boxing day at home to spurs78/79 who filled the ilderton road end do you remember the claw hammer being chucked between us and them.i pulled my younger brothers head down to miss his head and it hit the poor misfortunate person in the chest behind us on the half way in front of jewboys hill.the hammer was going back and forth all game taking people out.didnt even get a mention because of the mass brawling outside that day,and they go on about a plastic bottle phew!

• January 30, 2014 at 10:00

@millwallbuilder: I remember Reading away in the 90's at Elm Park someone threw a hammer at the keeper. That made quite big news back then. There's historic reports of a grenade being thrown on the pitch a the old Den. I believe it was a dud but you can bet those who saw it needed a change of pants at half time. NOLUWDC.

• January 29, 2014 at 15:20

Now now boys lets not all start throwing plastic bottles on the pitch only bad news for the wall and he won't be at millwall next year wen we left the champioship as champions ..good times ahead sing your heart out for the wall

• January 29, 2014 at 16:07

Arise Sir Ian. While we're at it , get a statue of him in the car park at the Den.
    I've always respected him , he can do no wrong in my eyes now.

• January 29, 2014 at 17:33

His bold his slim his going to give us a win. Holloway Holloway. Is bold is slim is going give us a win. Holloway Holloway Holloway Holloway. Is is slim is going to give us a win.

• January 29, 2014 at 18:16

@millwalljoekempster: Did you see I H come over to the fans in front of us and get a pair of glasses and offer it to the linesman to wear.The man is quality !!!!!!!

• January 29, 2014 at 18:34

How the hell can a club be responsible for a couple of mindless idiots that choose to throw a bottle? What are the club supposed to do exactly? We already have a policy of pouring bottled liquid into cups. The idiots when caught will be banned so I ask again how the hell can a club stop it and therefore how the hell can they be docked points.

Well done IH for putting this into perspective, 9500 home fans 2 thrown bottles, FA do the bloody math and shut the hell up. If someone throws an empty bottle at me in tesco who is responsible? Tesco certainly have no case to answer the numpty who threw the bottle would have.

Let me finally say that in no way am I condoning the numpties that threw the bottles there is absolutely no excuse, but and it's a massive but it's not the fault of the club but of the individual.

No one likes us, we don't care.

• January 29, 2014 at 19:30

breaking news the ministry of defence has ditched plans for the new designed snipers takeout rifle after hearing the damage done by a missile thrown at chris Kirkland last night,they have now switched to buying millions of shares in volvic.and are training operatives to actually take out there intended target and not miss!

• January 29, 2014 at 20:12

IH & MFC - MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN!

• April 11, 2017 at 13:14

Hi There! We are searching for some people that might be interested in from working their home on a full-time basis. If you want to earn $100 a day, and you don't mind developing some short opinions up, this might be perfect opportunity for you! Simply check out the link here NOW!