bestkinky

Millwall manager hopes to "help" Campbell during loan spell

©
©

IAN Holloway wants to help Millwall loanee DJ Campbell get his career back on track after he was arrested in connection with spot-fixing allegations last year.

Holloway, who knows the striker well from their time together at Blackpool, is confident the 32-year-old has done nothing wrong.

Campbell was held by police in December before being bailed without charge until April.

And Holloway hopes he can rediscover his goalscoring instincts at The Den after failing to hit the back of the net in nine appearances for parent club Blackburn this season.

"DJ has helped me before in my life and I want to help him again," said the Lions boss. "He seems to understand what I want from him and does it quite well.

"At this precise moment in time, he's got something hanging over him that I don't for one second believe he has done.

"People are innocent until proven guilty, so I want him to enjoy his football again.

"If he comes in and scores goals, our fans will love him. I'll be delighted if I can help him in this period of his life because he's helped me in the past by scoring goals.

"We have a good understanding of each other and hopefully we can be successful again.

"I do not think he is as fit as he was before at the moment, but I had a chance to assess him last week and I'll bring him into the group for the Sheffield Wednesday game.

"The most important thing about the group is they know I can make some changes if I want to, and DJ knows how I want him to play.

"I'm delighted to be able to add him to the squad."

Holloway, who has also signed Ryan Fredericks and Shaun Williams this month, has until Friday evening to make further additions to his squad.

But he is happy to wait until the loan window reopens before bringing in more fresh faces.

"Only the Premier League boys can't strengthen their squads after Friday," said Holloway. "They will be rushing around trying to buy people, whereas I'm going to be very relaxed.

"But what the group have been doing so far this season hasn't been good enough, and I've got weed out some who haven't been helping the group and get others in who can.

"I've got to do that as quickly as I can."

17 thoughts on “Millwall manager hopes to "help" Campbell during loan spell

• January 28, 2014 at 09:19

Whatever the situation, hope the bloke can enjoy the environment he,s now in , gain confidence in everyone around him and play great footy. Good luck mate, play the millwall way!!!

• January 28, 2014 at 09:22

WE CAN ALL HELP DJ CAMPBELL, BY GIVING HIM THE FAMOUSE MILLWALL CHEERS
    AND SUPPORT THAT HE REQUIRES TO GET SOME GOALS FOR OUR TEAM..............
    [ STARTING TODAY AGAINST SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY ]
    " NO ONE LIKES US , WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN.........................CALLING FOR DJ CAMPBELL SUPPORT LOUDLY !!

• January 28, 2014 at 09:34

I bet he does well when he comes on............oooopps

• January 28, 2014 at 09:43

@beedoscores: I agree Beedo, last 20-30 minutes as a sub seems most likely. Whether defending a lead by causing a threat at the other end or chasing the game, DJ can contribute even if partially fit.

• January 28, 2014 at 09:41

Not sure about this one, not scored in 9 starts for Blackburn isn't fully fit (where have I heard that one before) but bloody expensive, sounds like McDonald mk2. Should have paid him less and give him a goal bonus. Good luck DJ prove me wrong and fix us those 3 points. COYL.

• January 28, 2014 at 09:44

@Sealion: don't know what happened at Blackburn, but last season at Ipswich he was scoring regularly. He hasn't become a bad player in the space of six months. I reckon the right system and decent supply will see him scoring again.

• January 28, 2014 at 10:05

@glyngo: Hope your right Glyngo, we need something to go our way.

• January 28, 2014 at 10:45

@bermlion: I agree@Sealion: 9 games but I dont think he started them all - Jordan Rhodes in front of him dont forget! Think he'll come good for us if we back him from the stands! COYL

• January 28, 2014 at 09:43

TONIGHTS THE NIGHT THAT MILLWALL FC GET BACK ON TRACK AGAIN.............
    THE REST OF THE COUNTRY WILL BE GLUED TO THE PERFORMANCE AND RESULT.
    [ LETS NOT, LET ANYBODY DOWN AT THE NEW DEN.......... ]
    A GOOD TURN OUT BY THE LOCAL FANS IS A MUST !!!!
    PLENTY OF NOISE AND SONGS ABOUT OLLIE...................
    HOLD THAT " MILLWALL - ONE - NOTE " LONGER TONIGHT...................
    ----------------------
    AND AFTER SUE HAS HAD HER BURGER AT THE MILLWALL CAFE, SHE'LL BE READY
    FOR A FEW BOTTLES OF MILLWALL - BEER TO GET HER SINGING.
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN..........................IS READY FOR HIS HALF - PINT

• January 28, 2014 at 23:02

@bermlion: I hope your Sue wasn't amongst those throwing her bottle berm!

• January 30, 2014 at 09:57

@bonnie1272:
        NO SHE WASNT, BUT WOULD " NOT " HAVE MISSED IF SHE HAD THROWN
        ONE OF HER 6 x BOTTLES THAT EVENING...................
        SHES A GOOD SHOT....................NEVER MISSES WHEN SHE THROWS SOMETHING
        AT ME..................
        " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
        STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 28, 2014 at 09:54

Above post sounds really good, making me thirsty already just thinking of those bottles of beer. And I'll be looking out for sue, to see how many Millwall bottles she can knock - down tonight.

• January 28, 2014 at 09:57

He'll come good especially after hearing us on his side for the first time tonight. Fancy a debut goal.
    Got to weed some out who havent been helping the squad this season ? hmmmm
    Be interesting to see the the line up tonight.
    Cant wait. COYLs Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllll

• January 28, 2014 at 10:10

I dont care about allegations surrounding djc..peqsonally think its cobblers...but if he can bag a couple that would really rub it in

• January 28, 2014 at 10:36

Off to the bookies now to put a bet on d j to score. Get used to it u no your goin to get some banter. It's the millwal way. But it's all in good humour good luck

• January 28, 2014 at 10:39

Holloway is doing his upmost to make DJ feel at home and be part of Millwall FC, let's all get behind him the same way, good luck to the squad tonight

COME ON YOU LIONS

• January 28, 2014 at 11:08

I think he will start and sub him second half. I see a goalscoring debut no doubt about it.
    OLLIE OLLIE OLLIE