bestkinky

Exclusive: Millwall chase deal for MK Dons star Williams

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL are eyeing a January move for MK Dons utility man Shaun Williams.

Williams, who can play in defence or midfield, has been watched regularly by head of recruitment Mick Harford this season.

New manager Ian Holloway joined Harford on his latest scouting mission to see the 27-year-old in action against Wigan in the FA Cup last Tuesday.

Holloway was so impressed by what he saw that he immediately gave the move the green light, and the Lions are trying to agree a six-figure transfer fee with the League One club.

It is understood the Dons are demanding a package worth £250,000 for Williams, whose contract expires in the summer.

But their boss Karl Robinson is reluctant to undermine his side's play-off push by selling their star man, who has scored nine goals so far this term.

Williams has featured predominantly as a centre back in recent months but it is understood Holloway has earmarked him for a spot in his midfield.

The Dubliner, who was a target for Scottish giants Celtic in 2011, is left-footed, so would add some balance to the Lions' engine room.

He is also a set-piece specialist, something Millwall are desperately lacking.

If the Dons dig their heels in, Williams could stay at stadium:mk until the summer – and then leave for nothing when his deal runs out.

Holloway has signalled his intent by initiating talks now but the Lions will not pay over the odds for a player who will be a free agent in June.

The performances of Stephen Gleeson, another MK Dons player, have also caught Harford's eye, but Williams is the focus of the club's attentions for now.

Chief executive Andy Ambler is this morning flying out to Millwall's warm weather training camp in Portugal to firm up transfer plans with Holloway.

Williams is said to be one of half a dozen irons in the fire, and, upon Holloway's return to the country this weekend, the Lions will have a week to complete any deals before the January window closes.

"Ollie has already brought in two players and he will be backed financially," said Ambler. "Whether we take that further in the next few days is uncertain at the moment.

"We're looking at opportunities and we are hoping we can add further to the squad. If something arises, it is down to the manager to come to the chairman and the board, and we will go from there.

"We've spoken to a number of clubs about certain players, and I'll sit down with Ollie this evening to work out what we're doing."

53 thoughts on “Exclusive: Millwall chase deal for MK Dons star Williams

• January 23, 2014 at 09:20

All sounds promising, such is the managerial quality of IH he knows exactly what the team needs instead of multiple clueless signings like Lomas did bringing zero balance to the squad. Williams will be a fitting replacement for Trotter who like Henry already made his mind up about leaving. If IH is going to 4-2-3-1 then Trotter won't fit into that system because a striker like McDonald will be played behind the lead centre forward and if Williams can also play centre half as well as attacking midfielder it shows he has got the box-to-box capabilities to fit into one of the two midfield position in front of the back line. Shame Trotter don't sign up just so we can get a little fee for him like we did with Morison. If MK are digging their hills about selling Williams how about a small fee + Wright??

• January 23, 2014 at 09:42

@wongo: @Bexley_Lion: Good idea - £250k for Williams and say £20k for them to take Wright off our hands! - Bargain in my eyes!!!!

• January 23, 2014 at 14:43

@Bexley_Lion:
      What makes you think trotter has made up his mind about leaving?

• January 23, 2014 at 16:56

@benzo: I hope Trotter doesn't leave but he has been stalling on signing a new contract since last season. I just hope that the arrival of IH may make his mind up to sign a new deal and stay.

• January 23, 2014 at 09:24

Does AA need to fly to Portugal? Are their no telphones here or there?

Let not waste money that could be spent on securing our future.

As for a swop deal how about cash plus a buy one get one free offer on the deadbeats and has beens?

• January 23, 2014 at 09:49

Pmsl, how about but one get two or three, free.

• January 23, 2014 at 10:14

@">wongo perfect opportunity for a swap deal. They can hav Hartford & ambler

• January 23, 2014 at 10:50

@wongo: These things should be discussed face to face.... Holloway seems a man who likes that, for the sake of £600/800 on a hotel and flight for the night i think its a good thing to do considering they are talking about future players moving to our club and hundreds of thousands in investment. I order a Chinese or a pizza over the phone. lol

• January 23, 2014 at 12:30

@JONO: £600/800 per night, you must be rich Jono!

• January 23, 2014 at 14:45

@AireLys: Im just over estimating haha maybe if its for chief executive, im also including dinner and desserts haha

• January 23, 2014 at 18:40

@JONO: Ah explains all, thought you were on the sort of salary as DJC!

• January 23, 2014 at 09:59

Cor - it's gonna be bloody tough to get into the team for a midfield player....how many's that we'll have!

• January 23, 2014 at 10:10

@Adsy77777: Trotter, Feeney, wright, smith, may be Easter as he won't get the starts that he wants, I don't know about Chaplow, I like him but he may be on the bench a lot, and when he does play it is usually out of position,will he be happy with that ? From premiership to the bench of a struggling championship club.
        I don't think I would be too happy.

• January 23, 2014 at 10:31

@Sealion: I also forgot Keogh, I don't think his heart is at this club.

• January 23, 2014 at 10:46

@Sealion: I wouldn't question keoghs heart, he put Bywater on his a*** cause him n lomas kept going on about west ham

• January 23, 2014 at 20:01

@Sealion: sealion I would have agreed with you about Keogh before last Saturday, but he ran his b***** off and looked a player again

• January 23, 2014 at 10:39

@Sealion: I still think Chaplow will come good. I could be wrong but I think Trotter could leave in the window. It's our last chance to get some cash for him and would help IH get some more money for reinforcement. Let's face it, he's one of the few we might get worthwhile money for.

• January 23, 2014 at 11:37

@Adsy77777: I don't want Chaplow to go, I just wonder where he will fit in in the scheme of things.

• January 23, 2014 at 15:07

@Sealion: @Sealion: Yes get rid of this lot, Williams sound better then that lot. Ollie knows best. He can get the best out of the players who want to play for Millwall FC. Forde, Lowry, Abdou and of course Shittu must stay.

• January 23, 2014 at 16:16

@BUSHWACKER14: wot makes you think abdou is safe if you remember he got rid of him once before

• January 23, 2014 at 10:10

Looks like we're going to be some departures in midfield soon then.

Just spoke to my mate who is a MK Dons season ticket holder and he said "Slightly built for a centre back but a dead ball specialist. He is a classy player. Really good on the ball".

• January 23, 2014 at 10:13

@Kennyp: A dead ball specialist that would be novel !!

• January 23, 2014 at 10:26

It is total speculation as to who might be departing and Trotter is one I would want to stay at the club. I am positive IH will be getting the very best from him and we will see that in the coming weeks.
    The fact that we are now looking at younger specialist players shows how more positive the outlook is from the management. Exciting times!

• January 23, 2014 at 12:30

@Peckhamlad: I agree with that Peckham. Does anyone know if there are any clubs actually looking at Trotter as most people are convinced he's going?

• January 23, 2014 at 13:13

@REAL Supporter: I'm not so sure Trotter is leaving. I see Williams coming in as a replacement for Wright or Abdou.
        What I do know is that a few must be going out otherwise the squad will be top heavy. If Ambler is flying out, we must be close to signing a couple at least that need Ollie's ok.

• January 23, 2014 at 13:43

@NICKOLA: Yeah, I think you may be right Nick. This Williams sounds good. Although I was pleased with Wright and Abdou's performance on Saturday we certainly need someone who can take a free-kick and if we're going to move on up we need to off-load some of the squad.

• January 23, 2014 at 14:53

@REAL Supporter: I wonder if one of them could be the Dallas Cowboys as he seems to always be wearing a cowboy hat when he posts pictures of himself.

• January 23, 2014 at 14:51

@Peckhamlad:
      Like you Peckham I hope Trotter stays but I personally feel that he will join Wolves on a free at the end of the season. As much as I like and rate him if he wants to go then so be it. I trust Holloway to rebuild this squad and make it strong.

• January 23, 2014 at 10:29

"Utility man" does that mean jack of all trades, master of none?

• January 23, 2014 at 10:47

@benzo: true... or maybe IH knows what hes master of and will exploit that

• January 23, 2014 at 10:45

I would like to see more of Wright, he can get the ball down and pass.... IH will inject these players with confidence, and would not of given him time against Ipswich... he's seen these players in training and would not of picked him if he was useless...

I would like to see what this Williams fella is about too lol

• January 23, 2014 at 11:47

I tought when wright came on he passed to feet instead of blasting it at players. Still young enough to learn & maybe holloway can bring him on to championship level. Also heard about keogh decking bywater nice one & heard a big rumour that they might be lifting the ban on Leeds away.

• January 23, 2014 at 19:51

@block 28: do you know what the haymaker was all about,snide comments or personal or just don't get on?any answers please

• January 23, 2014 at 12:22

hearing good things about this lad! i hope we get him. P.S to clear up the whole keogh putting bywater on his a*** rumor IT IS BULL!!! trust me i have had it confirmed by a friend who asked all the players at training 2 weeks ago they all nearly fell on the floor laughing , saying NO that is absolute b*******!!!

• January 23, 2014 at 13:33

I agree about Wright, he has ability and never really stood a chane in the formation and tactics that SL played. I think a passing game and a proper development plan would see him flourish. I still expect him to come good to be honest.

• January 23, 2014 at 23:43

@glyngo: @Glyngo I'm so glad to hear someone else think that Wright has all the makings of a quality player I was beginning to think I was the only one.
      The trouble is that his vision is too quick for the players around him so I just hope Ollie will teach the others about movement off the ball and then maybe this kid will flourish.

• January 23, 2014 at 13:35

Buy the lad now, £250k is nothing these days (10 weeks wages for DJ?) We need a good taker of a dead ball to take advantage of attacking positions. Wait till June and lots of clubs will be lining him up.
    Trotter needs to stay in my book, with more skillful players around him he can be a big player for us with his array of passing. I also think Chaps has a role to play too cos when he is fit and played in the right position he is an asset.
    Wright, Moro, Easter, Marquis, Dunne, Feeney (Bolton might want him back?), Beevers and sadly Jimmy and Robbo are all on borrowed time, so all need to raise their games or Ollie will replace them.
    COYL

• January 23, 2014 at 13:42

@WestKentLion: I do not think IH will let Jimmy go, his honesty and work rate will see him through, Easter will probably stay too but of the rest only IH knows the answer.

• January 23, 2014 at 16:40

@WestKentLion: I agree with all these that you mentioned. They had their chance, now the price has to be paid, so bye, bye to them. And brave decisions Ollie is making.

• January 23, 2014 at 14:00

I would rather Trotter stayed, I think he's the best player we've got but facing facts 1; he's one of the few players we could expect a decent fee for and we might need to lose 1 good player to bring 2 or 3 in 2; he's out of contract in the summer. 3; IH seems intent on bringing someone in in Midfield so someone must be going. Personally, it's no secret I think Wright is worse than useless, I would like it to be Wright going. I can't see what he brings to the team, can't head, can't tackle, can't run with the ball, bad positional sense, plays meaningless passes and slows the game down in the wrong way. Apart from that, he's ok!

• January 23, 2014 at 15:25

We have 10 players out of contract in the Summer including Trotter who looks as though he will leave so Wiliams would be a good replacement for him. Even if we only move on a couple of players in this transfer window I think IH is already planning ahead and knows what he needs to strengthen the squad.

• January 23, 2014 at 19:01

@denslions: what makes you think Trotter will leave? I sincerely hope not, we need his skill.

• January 23, 2014 at 19:34

@Peckhamlad: Simply because it doesn't look as though he has any intention of signing a new contract to show his commitment to the club. KJ tried to get him to sign an extension when he was here but he didn't.

• January 24, 2014 at 10:38

@denslions: Holloway's arrival will hopefully keep him at the club.

• January 23, 2014 at 18:18

Williams is a very good player. Saw a lot of him in Ireland before he went to England and told Millwall about him then!! If he is seen as a replacement for Trotter I don't see that as any loss. For me Trotter has never put in the hard yards to reach his full potential, which is why clubs higher up the food chain take a long look at him and don't come back.

• January 23, 2014 at 19:03

@Eddie Grace: Keep Trotter he will be a different and even better player under IH Williams is left footed and would do well next to him.

• January 23, 2014 at 20:08

surely ian Holloway by now being astute knows exactly where to strengthen our squad while at the same time tell players not in his plans that there days are numbered,its very promising that six or so targets could be on the horizon.with a few surprises in store.this young man shows great promise which is what us fans want to see more of in the future it shows that team building has started with this versatile player,,as for his team mate we have in the past bought two players from the same club.this reminds me of the bruce rioch buying era, buying underated players and turning them into millwall greats.

• January 23, 2014 at 21:20

I'd like to see Trotter stay. In previous seasons myself and many others have destroyed their vocal chords calling him a lazy so & so.. But I think his work rate has got better in recent times and his strengths in holding up the ball and providing the killer pass are big plus points to keeping him. Trotter and Williams could be a good pairing.. whatever happens, the next couple of weeks are gona be interesting! COYL

• January 24, 2014 at 00:45

Would we be better off keeping Trotter to the end of the season and him go for nothing?

Or try and get some cash now but then be without him for our relegation fight?

With IH in charge I would expect a better performance rate from Liam so even if he doesn't intend to sign an extension I would keep him to try and ensure our championship status.

Oh and if we can get Williams for £250k then do the deal! If he's any good other clubs will be after him in the summer anyway and can offer him more cash plus I can't remember the last time we scored direct from a free kick.

• January 24, 2014 at 09:56

WITH S.WILLIAMS & S GLEESON FROM M.K.DONS ABOUT TO JOIN THE LIONS AS WELL,
    " ITS BEGINNING TO LOOK LIKE CHRISTMAS " .................
    SUPPORTERS OF MILLWALL GET READY THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR, SO
    GET THOSE FLAGS, BALLOONS AND CONFETTI READY TO SHOW THE REAST OF THE WORLD
    MILLWALL FC ARE BACK.
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 25, 2014 at 13:12

Really hope we get him good solid player who will bring along to the team ,jus got to offer something better than Brighton!!!!