bestkinky

Millwall U18s knocked out of FA Youth Cup on penalties

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL'S youngsters suffered a heart-breaking defeat in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup, losing 8-7 on penalties to Sheffield United at The Den.

First-half goals from Kyron Farrell and Ben Thompson had given the Lions a commanding 2-0 lead at the break, but the visitors fought back to force extra time.

Frontman Jake Eyre slammed into the roof of the net after a corner before Ben Whiteman converted a penalty following Sid Nelson's foul to make it 2-2 at the end of normal time.

30 additional minutes failed to separate the sides and so the tie was decided from the spot.

Centre back Nelson hit the bar at 7-7 and Louis Reed converted the resulting penalty to win it for the young Blades.

27 thoughts on “Millwall U18s knocked out of FA Youth Cup on penalties

• January 20, 2014 at 23:02

Shame. Well done lads, good effort.

• January 22, 2014 at 09:58

@bonnie1272:
      THE YOUNGSTERS DID DO WELL, LETS HOPE THEY KEEP IT UP !
      I WONDER HOW "FRED" PLAYED,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      I BET HE USED HIS SPEED ON THE WING.....................
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 20, 2014 at 23:17

I went and had a look tonight, We played well in the first half Fred is a handful and has very quick feet, Pavey was kept quiet and didnt see much of the ball. Their centre halfs are lumps and i dont think pavey could deal with that but im sure he will be a good striker for us when he fills out a bit.The second goal was a cracking shot giving the keeper no chance.Thompson who scored that goal looks comfortable on the ball and has a good pass on him. Some of these lads have a bright future ahead of them from what i saw tonight.

• January 21, 2014 at 09:01

Ben Thompson our 8 was the best player on the park, Fred, to be honest disapointed me a bit, but has loads of potential, also our center back Keaton wood looks really composed and dominate. But these kids are nowhere near the first team yet.

• January 21, 2014 at 09:47

There is far too much expected of youth players too soon - for every Rooney or Ross Barkley there are 10, 000 who aren't good enough or ready at this age - look at DJ Campbell for instance - players need to mature and stick at it and be given the right opportunities and support and not written off so quickly -

• January 21, 2014 at 09:58

Excuse my ignorance but do the academy squads or any millwall juniors ever play games as curtain raisers to the main game at the den so they are exposed to big crowds and match day environment ??

• January 21, 2014 at 10:06

@grassgrower: no - occasionally you might get a local school match for 15 minutes - I think the worry is they will damage the pitch - look at the situation with Charlton's pitch

• January 21, 2014 at 15:52

@grassgrower: Yes I can remember a South London Schools v Islington schools match being played at Highbury as a curtain raiser before a 1st division game in the early 80's Also South London Schools often played matches at the Den, from where the likes of Phil Babb, Alan Mcleary, Trevor Booker, Wesley Reid and others progressed.

• January 22, 2014 at 13:58

@grassgrower: don't think the senior players even know about big crowds. may get one, now , verses Sheffield Wednesday.

• January 21, 2014 at 10:28

I worked for many years in football in Australia and my club which was at an equivalent level to millwall decided to adopt a whole of club approach to juniors which meant they as young teens were exposed to the same type of environment as the seniors. In the last few years this club won back to back premierships and in both years juniors figured prominently. It was interesting to watch the excel orated development of the kids.As a curator I understand well the overuse of grounds and can imagine you guys probably experience a lot wetter conditions than those in aust. Having said that, it's sometimes a huge thrill for the juniors to be paraded in front of a big home crowd. You're point about the pitch is a very valid one though.

• January 21, 2014 at 10:58

These are under18s, not the under 21s Ollie was talking about

• January 21, 2014 at 12:20

they done the lions crowd proud.
    2 years and some will be in the first team im sure.

• January 21, 2014 at 12:50

http://lionslive.podbean.com/ Have a listen to this, trust me its well worth the trouble. Its the 16/1/14 and before the ipswich game.

• January 21, 2014 at 17:58

@sups8892: I would sups but it says 116 mins long. Which bit specifically. Do you know?

• January 22, 2014 at 09:23

@bonnie1272: Bonnie Lad, About the first 45 minutes, at first there are a couple of likely lads talking about our problems, and they say exactly what has been said on here. Then Ollie comes on, and it is just what you want to here. Believe me it's well worth the trouble. Let me know Bonnie Lad !

• January 21, 2014 at 16:18

Blackpool have sacked paul ince nows the time to get hold of alex rae as Ollie number 2

• January 22, 2014 at 05:03

@colin66: more likely to be Steve Thomson I would have thought. Personally would like to see the two come in.

• January 22, 2014 at 07:40

@manclion: @bonnie1272:
        Thinking about it,It would be nice to see the pair of them come in with fresh ideas and show everyone that Millwall means to stay in this league and progress next season

• January 21, 2014 at 17:59

Blimey, the first no news day for ages!

Aldo, you on strike?

• January 22, 2014 at 05:12

Great learning curve for the youngsters, nice to see that the academy is now starting to progress after the disastrous downgrade made a few years back. I would like to see a small amount of signings made in the summer once hopefully we retain our status in the championship and see more focus on the scouting system which seems virtually non existent. The London area produces a fairly consistent amount young stars and Millwall seems to have lost track of that over the last decade. Long term growth of the club has to be key instead of constantly loaning in players from premiership teams and signing journeymen on big contracts.

• January 22, 2014 at 09:46

its very quite on here at the moment, hope all is okay in portugal with the training that must be
    going on there.anybody heard any news yet?

• January 22, 2014 at 13:31

After a very large argument with my wife, she packed my bag and walked me to the front door. She said "get out and I wish you a long ,slow and painfull death you b******" "F*** I said, you want me to stay now" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• January 22, 2014 at 17:09

@grassgrower: I took the Misses to a wife swapping party last night ,had a right result i got a set of golf clubs in exchange.

• January 22, 2014 at 18:04

@Eightieswall: I was having a major row with my neighbour this morning.She said ' If I was your wife I'd put poison in your coffee'. So, I said, 'If I was your husband love, I'd drink it' !

• January 22, 2014 at 18:28

@Eightieswall: Yeh it was about time we swopped back, the house was starting to look like a tip.

• January 22, 2014 at 16:02

Yes, there's a few of us having that long, slow, painful death at the moment. At least there is light seen through the tunnel. Oldie has arrived at Millwall FC.

• January 22, 2014 at 16:04

sorry, slipped on the finger tip, should read Ollie .