bestkinky

Lowry: Holloway makes Millwall players feel ten feet tall

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

SHANE Lowry is loving life under Ian Holloway – and insists Millwall's win over Ipswich Town is just the start of their revival under the new manager.

Lowry was singled out for special praise by Holloway after helping the Lions grind out a 1-0 victory at The Den on Saturday.

And the Australian defender says the charismatic 50-year-old has made a big impact in the dressing room since his appointment.

"The manager has been absolutely brilliant," Lowry said. "He's been a breath of fresh air and makes you feel ten feet tall before you go out on the pitch.

"There's nothing better than getting a vote of confidence from your gaffer.

"Even if you make a mistake, you know he's going to back you as long as you give everything – blood, sweat and tears.

"I don't think it's appropriate for me to talk about previous managers, but there has been a really positive vibe since the new one came in.

"There has been a lot of work on organisation in training and his ideas have been put across to us, and we have all bought into it.

"He expects the highest standards and he's never satisfied with 100 percent.

"He is a great motivational speaker and we want to fight for him and prove that we deserve to be at this club. Confidence is a massive thing and he gives you bundles of it.

"But one win doesn't mean anything though, we need to kick on."

Lowry added: "It was definitely a Millwall performance on Saturday.

"We were on the front foot from the start. The fans deserve a special mention because they were right behind us from the first minute.

"We're delighted with the result but this is just the beginning for us and we need to continue our home form in particular."

Lowry and Danny Shittu were in formidable form at the heart of Millwall's defence against the Tractor Boys, winning almost every aerial challenge.

"Danny was immense," Lowry said. "He'll admit himself that he's been a bit off the boil this season and the same goes for myself as well.

"But he puts the fear of God into people and I'm glad I don't have to play against him.

"I tried to pick him when he was down with cramp – I thought I was going to need a forklift!

"Danny is a great lad and a good guy to have next to you. He's a good vice captain as well – obviously Paul Robinson is our club captain, but he fills that void very well.

"There is a lot of shouting and screaming going on! I laugh sometimes because when Danny goes up for a header, lads on both teams move out of his way.

"He was clearing everything. He has got massive experience, he has played in the Premier League and he's great to learn from."

Lowry is relieved to be playing as a centre half again after he was converted to a left back by former manager Kenny Jackett.

"I am delighted," he admitted. "I have said all along that my best performances for this club have been at centre back.

"When I first came to Millwall on loan from Aston Villa, I thought I did pretty well in that position to earn myself a contract here.

"I don't see myself as being an attacking left back and hopefully I am showing that I deserve to have a shot in my preferred position."

Lowry is one of ten players at the club whose contract expires in the summer.

"There's not much happening at the minute," he said.

"I am open-minded and will have to wait and see. I'm just glad to be playing football again and if I keep putting in good performances, hopefully things will take care of themselves.

"It is not something I'm going to think about because it brings bad vibes to my game. I can't concentrate fully when I'm worrying about my contract.

"I'll let my representatives deal with it."

In the short-term, Lowry has jetted off to Portugal with his teammates for a week of intense fitness training.

"It is going to be interesting – I have heard what the gaffer's said about it, so it's not going to be a jolly," he said.

"It is a great idea. As well as the fitness work, it binds the lads together. I do think we need it if we are going to play at a higher tempo.

"The gaffer wants to play a high tempo game and you cannot do that if you can't run around for 90 minutes.

"The fittest guy in the world can always get fitter so I'm looking forward to it. The gaffer has three sessions planned for every day, and I'm not going to question that.

"He's the boss and if he tells me to jump on a roof, I'll do it. Whatever he says goes."

32 thoughts on “Lowry: Holloway makes Millwall players feel ten feet tall

• January 20, 2014 at 08:21

Future captain. Get him signed up for a few years.

• January 20, 2014 at 11:14

@82wall:
      JUST THINK !! ALL THOSE MILLWALL STARS RUNNING UP AND DOWN,
      [ GETTING FITTER UNDER THAT LOVELY SUNSHINE ]
      BEADS OF SWEAT EVERYWHERE !!!
      WISH WE WERE THERE..................TO WATCH THE ACTION.
      NEVER MIND, ALL FOR THE GOOD OF THE LIONS
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN.......................MISSING THE SUNSHINE AS WELL.

• January 20, 2014 at 08:22

Enjoy every day boys like its ya last game, don't cut corners and know that every one of us fans live and breathe millwall and depend on you guys to deliver us to the cland of pleasure. You're on the way to great things, don't waste ya careers. Fantastic win Saturday but lots of hard work to get away from the danger zone. The lions den, f***** unreal place to live ya dreams!!!

• January 20, 2014 at 13:17

@grassgrower: a bit off the subject but who do you people think is the best australian to ever wear the millwall strip?

• January 20, 2014 at 16:12

@grassgrower: Tim Cahill was probably the best not just for us but a legend for the Toffee's also,
        But my vote would go to Ned Kelly a very dangerous front man that would shoot on sight and had a brilliant cast iron defence !.

• January 20, 2014 at 23:06

@wandererwall: don't forget big Dave Mitchell, he was pretty good. As was Lucas Neil

• January 21, 2014 at 05:58

@wandererwall: s*** wander, I forget Ned Kelly, can't remember what years he represented the club but very funny comment by ya good self.

• January 20, 2014 at 08:26

I sit in west lower and when Shittu went down with cramp, it was right in front of me, when Lowry picked him up, it was hilarious, he let out a big puff of air, and said "F*****' hell!" lol, I was p****** myself. Both of them played brilliant on saturday, I don't think either missed a single header, and Shittu was just amazing, as Lowry said, no one wanted any part of him, he just commanded everything in the air.

• January 20, 2014 at 09:01

@DannyMillwall:
      THE BACK FOUR OF MILLWALL WERE ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.............
      FREDERICKS, MALONE, LOWRY AND WHAT THE SUN SAYS THIS MORNING !!!
      DANNY SHITTU [ M.O.T.M. ] A " BATTLING LEADER " 9/10 POINTS ........
      ====================
      ALL WE GOTTA DO IS REPRODUCE THIS DISPLAY MORE OFTEN, AND THE CROWDS
      WILL RETURN EVERY WEEK [ HOME & AWAY ] .
      KEEP IT UP MILLWALL !!!!!.............THE STORM IS STILL TRYIN' TO GET FITTER !!
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 20, 2014 at 10:48

@bermlion: And to thik Ryan Fredericks will be alot fitter when he returns....scary thought

• January 22, 2014 at 15:52

@bermlion:
        Absolutely! Ollie seems to breed confidence.
        Young Fredericks done well. They all did for the most part.
        I remember another young fella with an afro, we got on loan when he was 18. Right back, oozed class-Glenn Johnson! it only works if you play him, don't leave him on the bench, that must be the deal.
        Sorry to say Dunn's done. Robbo's on the downslope, and trotter needs to liven up, or he'll be off as well. Kick a*** Ollie! 'We are Millwall..............
        It can only get better from here on in, relegation, no chance now.
        Get your season tickets, change is happening!

• January 20, 2014 at 08:29

All we need now is to get the strikers scoring goals !, I will take a fluke goal any time it comes but it won't happen very often so Morison and co need to get their arses in gear and STOP MISSING.
    Use plenty of sunscreen boys.

• January 20, 2014 at 11:05

@wandererwall:
      VERY TRUE..........WE NEED SOME MORE GOALS !!!!
      BUT, I'M SURE DANNY S HAS PLENTY OF THAT SUN- SCREEN
      IN HIS CASE...................HE " NEVER MISSES A TRICK " !!
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 20, 2014 at 08:35

I dont understand why any of the senior pros or the coaching staff such as Pressman & Harford also Bomber and Fitz did not see (they must have) and go to the directors about the players level of fittness and also let there concern's be known. If that had happened maybe would could be in a slightly better position in the league and JB could have saved a few quid on the warm weather training trip this week.

But on Saturday it looked like they had bought a new team from the ones that turned out for Lomas, but is it just down to Ollie or do the players bear any responsibilty for there own form and alledged lack of fittness, IMO I would think the players must also take some of the blame.

• January 20, 2014 at 09:12

Saturday just showed everyone just how unfit most of them are. They give it their all and go down with cramp!
    Thought Lowry and Shittu were a superb combination. As well as the fitness thing this week I just hope they all have some goal scoring practice as well.
    Come on you Lions - onwards and upwards!

• January 20, 2014 at 09:32

It probably proves that Scottish football is played at half the pace, Lomas probably thought that the team WAS fit and never emphasised it.

It's history now and I am sure JB has learned the lesson so we need to move on. I thought Morison was OK Saturday, there were a few good crosses that were inches away and as ever McCarthy had a few Panzers at the rear, what was all that about with Jay Tabb?

• January 20, 2014 at 09:43

Not really seen any team this year that stand out above the rest, everyone is beatable,if we play like that every game we will be safe I have no doubt 20 games left we need to win 10 for safety.

• January 20, 2014 at 09:44

@wongo: we all feel ten feet tall now we have a great manager like Holloway Coyl!!!

• January 20, 2014 at 10:28

@333lions: when mfc return they will be leaner meaner..& most of all they will play as a team..mainly cos he's got em for a whole week..with no distractions....a fit shittu.trotter..& morison will be awesome impact on the team

• January 20, 2014 at 10:47

Rumour or fact ?
    Millwall are being lined up for a takeover by a consortium headed by former QPR chairman Gianni Paladini.

• January 20, 2014 at 10:56

@NICKOLA: Nick was he one of the Beneton lot at QPR, where did this come from mate.

• January 20, 2014 at 11:13

@Barnlion: That's in the Sun this morning but I've also heard it from a reliable contact in the financial sector this morning.

• January 20, 2014 at 10:58

@NICKOLA: there is a rumour...was he the one who sacked olly? If so he can sod of

• January 20, 2014 at 11:00

@NICKOLA: is it just me or does that sound terrible?, I'm not sure but millwall seems like a club that lives and thrives on back to the wall situations and everything at the moment points towards an us taking the world on gig. Please don't kill the buzz!!! "Consortium" and millwall?? Just doesn't sound right! Mayb I'm a fuckwit!!

• January 20, 2014 at 10:57

Hope not, don't want any of these type of people getting involved, they can keep their money and their stupid ideas

• January 20, 2014 at 11:06

Yeah,palladini put holloway on gardening leave, then he went to Leicester

• January 20, 2014 at 11:33

@bordersarebest0170: this bloke clearly dont know sod all about football...anyway JB has seen of 2 consortiums in the past..& one was a arab one...which is bigger than this one

• January 20, 2014 at 11:35

Asset strippers they can sod off

• January 20, 2014 at 12:14

Along with Forde, Lowry is one of the priorities to get signed up with a new contract

• January 20, 2014 at 12:32

Don't think JB is ready to let go yet, he's invested to much dough, rather stay as we are at least we know where we stand, they will kill us as a club, one man one rule, to many chiefs involved to many money grabbers,

• January 20, 2014 at 12:52

I don't see JB selling up just yet he's invested quite heavily recently and would surely want a return from it before considering any offers.
    Get some new contracts dished out over the next couple of months and we'll be moving strongly in the right direction.

• January 21, 2014 at 12:17

jb won't sell, he loves millwall like we all do.
    we don't want the bandits back at the new den.
    we want classic football, roll it back.