bestkinky

Ipswich revival under McCarthy inspires Millwall manager

© Tom Shaw
© Tom Shaw

IAN Holloway hopes to replicate Mick McCarthy's achievements at Ipswich.

McCarthy guided the struggling Suffolk club to Championship safety last season and his new-look side are currently just three points off the play-off places.

And new Millwall boss Holloway wants to do a similar job for the Lions.

But Holloway will put his admiration for McCarthy to one side when the Tractor Boys visit The Den on Saturday.

"Mick's a bit of an inspiration and I've always really liked him," he said.

"To go into Ipswich last year and do the job that he did, and now get them up at the top end of the league this season, is a great achievement.

"They were excellent in the first half against QPR last weekend my report tells me, they were the better side but didn't take their chances and were punished by a very good team.

"Ipswich only had eight points when Mick took over last year and look where they are now. That's something I need to reproduce here.

"We have got to dig in. It's going to be tough to turn results around but we've got to roll our sleeves up and get stuck in. I can't wait."

Holloway will be joined in the dugout by first-team coaches Marc Bircham and Des Bulpin, who were both appointed this week.

"I've known Des since I was 25," Holloway said. "He coached me under Gerry Francis at QPR and was absolutely outstanding.

"He's got a knack of making you train harder and be a good person.

"He won't stand for anyone being an up themselves, horrible pig. He has got a wonderful way about him and a wealth of experience. His resume is completely lexapro online bestellen outstanding.

"He will tell players what they need to hear, rather than what they want to hear. He is a bit abrasive but that's good. He will help every member of my staff, including me.

"As coaches, we will learn from his experience. He will help the likes of Scott Fitzgerald and Neil Harris improve. Most importantly he's the most loyal bloke I've ever met."

Bircham played under Holloway during his time in charge of QPR.

"Kenny Jackett and I took over at QPR during a terrible time and we were in administration when we signed Birch," he said. "We needed his personality and his enthusiasm.

"He is an impressive coach. He will be the same off the pitch as he was on it. He always believes we're going to be the better team and can improve.

"I want to create a school of football which can help every single player. To do that, we have to put curriculums and structures in."

Millwall's players have this week signed a new code of conduct which sets down the values Holloway expects from them – in training and in matches.

"I put down some words and phrases that I want the players to bring to Millwall," Holloway said. "We've all written down what we feel is important."

9 thoughts on “Ipswich revival under McCarthy inspires Millwall manager

• January 17, 2014 at 14:07

Heard holloways interview on lions live and while im trying not to get carried away you cant help be impressed by the man. Spoke with real passion and enthusiasam and spoke highly of marc and des. I think the futures bright with him in charge

• January 17, 2014 at 14:07

Would love a win this weekend but I don't mind if we don't! Kick on after our mini break is what is needed!

• January 17, 2014 at 14:12

Ollie this all sounds great but now its down to the eleven that go out tomorrow, lets see if they have all have bought into your way of playing, its a tough home debut for you but I really hope it goes well for you as you are a breath of fresh air at Millwall. COYL!!!!!!!

• January 17, 2014 at 14:18

"He won't stand for anyone being an up themselves, horrible pig."
    "He didn't prolong his career, moaning and whinging about his hamstring going whilst nicking a living He got on with his badges and knew what he wanted to do."
    "Between Birch's modern enthusiasm and Des' experience, I think we have got the perfect scenario. I'm the headmaster, they're the teachers and hopefully we can help the pupils."... How many digs did Holloway managed to fire off right there indirectly at our lazy diva-Esq squad, good, considering how unfit and high their body fat percentages are for 2nd tier professional footballers, what excuse is there for not pulling their weight... plenty of it to go round by the sounds of it!

• January 17, 2014 at 14:31

"He won't stand for anyone being an up themselves, horrible pig. " ..........just a couple of Donkey's left then !
    " I'm the headmaster"...........lucky for some the cane has been banned !

• January 17, 2014 at 15:43

If the players don't perform, its goodbye from me and its goodbye from IHm. Role on the revolultion and make the Den a good place to go for an afternoon out. I am fed up with feeling depressed when I leave the ground.

• January 17, 2014 at 21:10

3 points for my birthday would be the best present tomorrow. .I hope my family don't
    read this.

• January 17, 2014 at 21:22

I reckon he knows the players he wants out but is giving a wake up call to the one's he wants to stay.
    AD PR DS RK Have a lot to prove but they also know what we (fans) expect. Like he says " I don't care what their past with mfc is I care about the here and now".
    9 f e c k I n g players not fit enough, and I bet it's 9 you'd start from the off. How many were unfit when SL signed em ? No wonder we're a laughing stock.
    Nice to know we're not the only ones who can see this.
    thanks for starting to sort this disrespectful bunch out mr holloway it's been like 4his for over a yr and and spiralled out of control under SL and his fatness coach.

• January 17, 2014 at 22:42

@lukesmithmfc: your dead right Mr Smith.

Also, you note how bircham joined this week and has already suggested a holiday in the sun!!

Perhaps holloway will charge them all for their trip as they earn so much.

Wouldn't mind a job like that.

Ps only joking, good idea in my book to go away, and it will allow holloway to assess his charges further .