bestkinky

Holloway: Portugal trip will be no holiday for Millwall squad

©
©

IAN Holloway is planning a gruelling week's training in Portugal for his squad.

The Lions will jet off to the Algarve after their match against Ipswich Town on Saturday, as revealed by NewsAtDen, but Holloway has assured fans the trip will be no holiday.

Holloway has slammed the current fitness levels of his players and will put them through triple training sessions during the five-day trip.

"I have got some serious work to do," he said. "I've got nine players who I wouldn't deem fit to select because of their body fat percentages.

"I'm not blaming anyone else for that other than the players.

"They are the ones who have been putting things in their faces. When things are not going well, it's very easy to get sloppy and muddy the waters as to whose fault that is.

"It's all about taking responsibility. There will be nowhere for them to hide in my regime. The chairman has given me total autonomy in terms of raising standards.

"I don't think the players helped Steve Lomas at all. It is very convenient to use the West Ham thing and hide behind that. They won't be able to hide from me.

"In no uncertain terms, I am their manager and they better do what I say. If they don't, they won't be here for much longer – it is as simple as that.

"I don't care how long their contracts are, I'm not here to mess about. We have to stay up and then get promoted – I haven't come here to fail."

Holloway believes the Portugal training camp could be the key to turning the Lions' season around and has thanked chairman John Berylson for financing the trip.

"I was embarrassed to ask him to be honest," he said. "A Championship club shouldn't need to go on a training camp halfway through the season. I've got to do a pre-season with them.

"Luckily we are out of the FA Cup – which was the defeat that got me the job in the first place – and we have a weekend off, so I can take the players away.

"I can control what they eat, what time they go to bed, the training levels and hopefully we will get them caught up.

"By the end of next week, I will know who is responding to my methods and who I'll need to replace.

"Either some of them will be too far off the pace for now, and I will replace them short-term, or I'll have to replace them long-term because they're not what I want.

"I don't care what anyone's achieved for Millwall in the past – that's irrelevant – it's all about where we're going now. This is the new Millwall.

"For instance, I've worked with Danny Shittu before but I will judge him only on what he can do for me now and in the future. If that's not good enough, I'll tell him.

"I will be judged on my results and the players should be no different. You should only get a contract based on what you can do next, not what you've already done.

"I'm going to make it blatantly obvious what I want and how I'm going to do things, and I'll make some changes if I need to.

"The first thing some of them need to do, in terms of their fitness, is get out of the red and into the yellow, and then out of the yellow and into the green.

"Anybody with too high a body fat percentage is in the red, if they're not perfect they are in the yellow and to be honest they should all be in the green.

"This is a positive thing – not criticism. I am going to get some hours into them and they are going to understand what I want and expect.

"If the standards weren't set previously, then I will set them.

"If the fans think I am taking the squad out to Portugal for a jolly up, they are wrong – that's not what I'm doing. I wouldn't dare. This is going to be a factory.

"They will be out on the grass doing three sessions every day. I can control the weather and the pitch surfaces – there won't be any frost or any waterlogged areas.

"I'll also have them for 24 hours a day, I can watch what they eat and they won't be drinking anything other than water or health drinks.

"I have been to this facility before with Blackpool. It's a resort that specialises in football. Lokomotiv Moscow are over there so we'll be sharing the three pitches with them.

"It was Marc Bircham's idea and a quite brilliant one at that. I thank the chairman and chief executive for making it possible.

"I will have at least nine hours a day to educate and work the players and get my philosophy across to them."

47 thoughts on “Holloway: Portugal trip will be no holiday for Millwall squad

• January 17, 2014 at 08:26

Oh my god, a proper Manager.......what the f*** was going on at this place??? The unfit ones should be fined 2 weeks wages at least for not doing their job properly and taking the p*** out of the club and supporters. That might change their views a bit. Just heard a snip of IH on BBC London, and he has got the players to sign contract with the words commitment, desire, punctuality etc and in his words "if you dont live up to them, then off you go son" ........Superb.

• January 17, 2014 at 08:32

What a manager indeed.Love it.I can't wait for tomorrow.

• January 17, 2014 at 08:32

So the players will actually do a bit of work great news..fat lazy ba*tards

• January 17, 2014 at 08:33

Using the body fat colour index to put the players into categories has been used for years, but we still dont have all our players in the groups that show they arethee correct weight for there hight and build, but looking at the condition of the last fittness coach (rotund to say the least) and add to that he must also have been colour blind as he must have put certain players in the wrong categories and told SL they were ok.

• January 17, 2014 at 08:39

Well said Mr Holloway its about time these players took some responsibility for themselves. Hopefully this trip will be a success, and for most I'm sure it will, as for any passengers as you quite rightly say can get lost.

• January 17, 2014 at 08:39

About time we had a decent manager and I like what he is doing and saying. THESE lazy toe rags will now have to toe the line and play with pride and passion not lump it up field and forget about it ho no them days are gone you lot will have to work hard and play hard for your money.
    So give a week or so then we should see some kind of progress on the pitch and for the ones who think they are bigger or better then Millwall goodbye you are the weakest link

• January 17, 2014 at 08:44

Myself and a mate were laughing first game of the season when we saw the fitness coach. The players were barely listening to a word he said and in fairness who would blame them when you look at the state of him. It's got to be a case of "practice what you preach"!

On a serious note, it just shows how much Lomas was lacking when you see the level of professionalism that Holloway is trying to instill.

• January 17, 2014 at 09:01

@Scotty1609: Scotty mate your second paragraph is correct but surley the players should know what they need to do to get fit and keep fit as some of them have been pros for 10 or more years, and did any of the senior players go to the directors to let them know they have employed Mr Bean instead of a football manager.

I hope Olllie gets enough time to change the mentality at the club and move us forward not just up the div but when in the future we are looking for a manager, the right type are interested in coming to the Den, then we would not have taken the Hobson Choice last time Lomas.

• January 17, 2014 at 13:20

@Barnlion: I agree with you, the players should be professional enough to look after themselves and on that note have let themselves down badly. My point was, how serious did they actually take him. It's like someone telling you they're a rich and walking around with holes in their shoes. Hopefully onwards and upwards.

• January 17, 2014 at 09:25

@Scotty1609: you get wot you pay for in this game...we got a cheap no1 is really a surprise the team has been crap under him...now theqe should be no excuses cos we have a proper manager doing a proper job

• January 17, 2014 at 08:46

Apparently a few of the players are claiming that they are not overweight but they are just seven inches short.

• January 17, 2014 at 10:01

@wall2wall: Must be McD he definately is 7inches short.

• January 17, 2014 at 10:15

@Sealion:
        He reminds me of a Legoman.

• January 17, 2014 at 19:30

@wall2wall: I think Legoman has scored more.

• January 17, 2014 at 08:51

And JB n Andy A need to back hollas in 100%, make it known to all that shortcuts are not an option at any level of the club. A fantastic opportunity is before us all. Love hearin this stuff, it's great.

• January 17, 2014 at 08:59

Over the moon with holiway.Top top manager with hunger and passion.Absouletly gutted 90% of our players didnt seem to give a f***!THEY OWE US BIG TIME! At the moment i feel like ive been mugged of by them,with the money ive spent so far this season.

• January 17, 2014 at 09:11

Ollie its good that JB coughed up the dosh for the trip, but if had not then you should have fined the overweight ones then used the money to fund the trip. Infact they should still be fined, if the are over weight then there not fit to play, so possibly in breach of there contract I would have thought.

• January 17, 2014 at 10:07

@Barnlion: Ollie can only make a difference to the team now he is in charge and not what happened in the past!

If there any no improvements with the fat boys then they will be long gone.... waddling out of here!

• January 17, 2014 at 10:15

@Bradders: *If there are no improvements

• January 17, 2014 at 09:31

Remember guys that the players are still in the conditions they were in before, IH hasn't smashed them yet so don't get too carried away just yet. However I do think it'll be 3 points tomorrow but a hard fought 3 points.

COYL!!!!!!

• January 17, 2014 at 10:32

@mfc1rob: Rob,
      Not getting carried away mate but he must have at least made them work harder over the last week unlike Laurel and Hardy done in the previous 6 months, he will have also been working on tatics (that's a new concept) and the side that run out tomorrow will be better equiped i hope than those sent out by SL.

• January 17, 2014 at 09:35

Blimey Ollie, I’ve put on a few pounds over Christmas and now feel that I will have to loose it before being allowed to watch any games!

• January 17, 2014 at 09:35

This discipline Holloway is installing, the new fresh footballing philosophy, the new fitness regime, the mess that is being sorted out by the new manager... It all feels like the days of George Graham when he first came in and we all know how well that turned out once his foundations were out into place. Love it!

• January 17, 2014 at 09:37

Can't believe what I am reading, although you could see the fitness levels on the pitch. Got to feel a bit sorry for Lomas really, the senior players took the p*** out of him and out of us. They know where they have to be fitness wise, so as far as I am concerned they stuck two fingers up at the manager, the club, and us, and they can f--k off now. About time some of them grew up and realise we pay there wages and they should earn it.

• January 17, 2014 at 09:57

@sups8892: Has anyone seen the photograph of Bailey on the club's site yesterday? The bloke is well overweight. Good to see Ollie getting stuck in.

• January 17, 2014 at 10:16

@junkmale: bailey was on the fitness coaches diet and his derby is just as big!

• January 17, 2014 at 10:29

@sups8892: Feel sorry for Lomas, you got to be joking. As I have said in my post further down, Players up and down the country have the responsibility to look after themselves but club managers and fitness coaches should be doing regular checks to keep an eye on what is going on but clearly Lomas and fatman were out of their depth. No sympathy for Lomas at all, shows how poor he is as a manager at this level.

• January 17, 2014 at 11:08

@Basingstokelion: Fair point, but the point I am trying to make, is that he was new, inexperience, and the senior players threw there toys out of the pram. Point taken he should have got hold of the situation, but a professional footballer has a responsibility to himself and his club to be as fit as he can. Read any footballers autobiorgraphy and fitness was the key.

• January 17, 2014 at 11:48

@sups8892: thankfully this regrettable period seems to be gettin sorted, defies belief that a group of so called professionals could get so badly out of whack and in the process jeopardise a season .

• January 18, 2014 at 09:13

Sorry for getting to this a bit late but I have to agree that even though I never wanted lomas at the club you have to have some sympathy for him. Yes he was inexperienced so the players took the p!ss but let's remember that KJ had a wealth of experience and they took the p!ss out of him as well so what chance did he stand!

That said, Ollie seems to be willing to practice what he preaches so we should see an improvement in fitness and commitment and some tactics for the first time this season....I think we will also see some old Millwall names leaving which I support as we can't be all sentimental

• January 17, 2014 at 10:23

love the no nonsense verbals coming from holloway, about time, if the boys do the biz then they will enjoy coming to work if not, cry and f*** off.

• January 17, 2014 at 10:25

Well that tells us a lot about the last Manager, Whilst the players have to take some responsibility for how they look after themselves when away from the club, what on earth was Lomas doing to keep a check on them 'naf all' by the looks of things (regular checks in training would have helped, its not rocket science other clubs do it). IH comes in and within a week has results telling him we have unfit players. We had a fitness coach brought in by Lomas who clearly now had no idea on what he was doing despite his cv, how can we get to January and have 9 unfit players for Christ sake, he's meant to have been a fitness coach! So glad the pair of them have gone but it still really annoys me how the bloody board were taken in by Lomas in the first place and now we are in this bloody mess towards the foot of the division. Please God IH can get us out of this mess and to a safe position.

• January 17, 2014 at 11:08

@Basingstokelion: What happened to Jon Goodman? He seemed to be doing a decent job for us last season

• January 17, 2014 at 11:21

@junkmale:

Jon runs a fitness company and I think the last I heard he was working at Leeds Utd

• January 17, 2014 at 19:34

@Basingstokelion: An earlier report said how much the players liked the fitness coach, he probably went for a pint and a kebab with them after training.

• January 17, 2014 at 10:49

News just in. The Nandos share price has dropped due to plummeting sales in South London.

• January 17, 2014 at 11:31

Excellent analysis by IH and a clear plan of action. A proper manager - saying and doing the right things. The straight talking has begun with standards set.

It's what we all suspected about the fitness - and although the players do have responsibility for what they eat etc. the buck stops with the leader. The leader was Steve Lomas. He appointed the fitness coach (!) who also holds some responsibility. As Basingstoke says - there need to be regular checks.

It would be interesting to know who in the squad is in which category and how that balances out across the original players and the new intakes under Lomas.

You know that IH will 'walk the talk' - whereas Lomas appeared to be just talking. And talking.

And that is how he convinced JB to give him the job....

And so wiser and slightly older, we move forward ...

Tomorrow should be fun! COYL!

• January 17, 2014 at 11:40

Was looking at Bailey at that shambles at Southend, and i thought , what a fat useless lump he was, huffing and puffing, getting run ragged by div 2 players, he lacked pace and energy and looked well overweight. And he's in the centre of our midfield

• January 17, 2014 at 12:24

@bordersarebest0170: I can't obviously be sure of any of this but I would be suspicious of Trotter, Bailey, Shittu, Forde, Beevers, Chaplow, McD, Feeney. There must be others also but I can't understand how we got to this state without someone taking action. Ollie is establishing discipline and will have my 100% support as a season ticket holder. This will really show us which of our players really are top class professionals.

• January 17, 2014 at 13:09

@glyngo: Yes mate, I bet the majority of the squad are bricking it now. Everyone of them now need to sort themselves out and stop milking a wage. Oh and as for all this "Proper Wall" s****, if the likes of Dunney and Robbo don't make the grade then move em on. Can't say I'd be that bothered. Like IH said. The past is gone, this is a new Millwall now and its all about the future.

• January 17, 2014 at 12:40

To be fair on the players I wouldnt of played for that ginger westham s*** IH is quality

• January 17, 2014 at 18:11

@ borough wall, so by the same token what you seem to be saying is if they don't like their manager it's o k to not bother, and cheat us. Do me a favour f f s

• January 17, 2014 at 18:44

What a disgrace this bunch of players are and I agree there fat bodies are there responsibility ...... The useless fat b*******

• January 17, 2014 at 19:45

@Lincolnshire Lion: If you can't get into the required condition to do your job properly for the £5,000-£12,000 pw they are paid then these are not professional sportsmen and have no self esteem. They will know their optimum body weight and body fat and will also know their stamina levels, so to do nothing about it is gross negligence. Anybody who has ever gone down a gym usually knows this.

• January 17, 2014 at 19:42

This article is just.... wow.

Even all the way from California, I am so friggin' excited for this guy to be our coach.

• January 17, 2014 at 22:43

Just a bit p***** off that people on this site can s*** off players like Robbo and Dunney ( who have served this club well in their time at the Den )when things go bad. It was ok when Robbo our captain scored the winning goal at Wembley to get us up, and loved his passion when he swore on sky in the tunnel against Huddersfield, and Dunney getting player of the year, oh and both having testamonials, yeah ok they ain't performing just like the whole team but just to say they can f*** off IMO is bang out of order the deserve a bit more respect tan that!

• January 18, 2014 at 13:59

@Realwall: I agree with most of what you're saying but if Dunne & Robbo are deemed not up to it anymore then we have to move them on.

Still thank them for all their service over the years but to keep them simply because of the past is ridiculous.