bestkinky

Holloway fired up for first home game in charge of Millwall

©
©

IAN Holloway is fired up for his Den debut – and has called on Millwall fans to make life uncomfortable for visitors Ipswich Town.

Holloway is desperate to mark his first home game with a win in front of the Bermondsey faithful, who are expected to turn out in big numbers to welcome their new manager.

And the Lions boss believes the support of the crowd could be crucial.

"I want the players to give it their best, and then a bit more," he said. "I want our fans to make Ipswich feel nervous with their energy and passion.

"I've felt that many a time before at The Den and it's not a place for the fainthearted. We're all in it together – and I can't wait to show that to our fans.

"The Ipswich game is the first of three home games in a row, so who's to say we can't get nine points?

"That's the target and I've challenged the lads to give it a real go."

Holloway will be joined in the dugout by first-team coaches Marc Bircham and Des Bulpin.

Speaking before their appointments were finalised, Holloway said: "This is a long-term project so I will make sure I get these decisions right. I take recruitment very seriously."

Chief executive Andy Ambler added: "Ian wants two first-team coaches. Neil Harris will continue managing the U21s, Scott Fitzgerald will go back to the academy and Mick Harford will remain in charge of scouting."

Since last weekend's gut-wrenching defeat to Huddersfield Town, Holloway has turned his attention to raising standards in training.

"Every manager has slightly different methods and different ways of playing, so I want to give them clarity and good guidance," he said.

"I want us to take a step forward in our work rate, effort, togetherness and organisation and hopefully we'll get a better result this weekend.

"You can't argue with the fact that what we've been doing so far hasn't been good enough. I've got to work out why that is.

"I can see a few reasons in the way they've been training, so I'll change that. I want them to have a plan of action, to know how we're going to play and then to practise it every day.

"Performances and results normally tell you where you are as a group. As a group, I think we've been awful in terms of caring about each other and working hard for each other.

"I've told them that we can't be good when we've only got 22 points from 25 games. My skill in the past has been to build a group mentality and that's where I've got to start.

"I can feel already that it's growing. I'm not criticising, but whatever went before me I've got to put right and I need the players to help me. So far I can't fault their application."

34 thoughts on “Holloway fired up for first home game in charge of Millwall

• January 16, 2014 at 10:16

Can't wait!

COYL!!

• January 16, 2014 at 10:18

RIGHT HERE WE GO............. WE ARE READY TO "RUMBKLE"
    I MAY STILL HAVE A LITTLE "FLU" ................BUT LETS GET IT ON !!!!
    WIN , LOSE OR DRAW.............MAKE IT A FUN - DAY EVERYONE !!!!

" NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN.......................... IS READY TO PARTY !!!

• January 16, 2014 at 10:18

Fire em up men and women of millwall, it's time !!!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 10:21

me and the boy will be going for the first time this season cant wait.

• January 16, 2014 at 10:36

@Strood Lion:
      WELCOME BACK Strood Lion................HOPE YOU BOTH ENJOY IT,
      AND RETURN MORE REGULAR.................
      ALSO, STORMIN' NORMAN REALISES ITS VERY HARD TO GET THE
      " FUNDS FOR FOOTBALL " [ SO DON'T WORRY, AND THINK YOU HAVE
      TO GET TO ALL THE MATCHES OR PEOPLE WILL THINK HE / SHE IS NOT
      A TRUE - SUPPORTER.............WE WILL "NOT" EXPECT THAT AT ALL ]
      BUT WHEN YOU DO................MAKE " LOTS OF NOISE " LIKE THE MILLWALL
      FAMILY ALWAYS DOES !!!!!!!!
      WE HAVE THREE HOMES THEN A LOVELY TRIP TO TURF MOOR [ BURNLEY ] ,
      I KNOW , SUE AND I ARE "LUCKY" TO BE ABLE TO GET TO THESE MATCHES ........
      IF SOME OF YOU CAN GET TO AT LEAST ONE, IT WILL BE BRILLIANT !!!!
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN..............LOOKING FORWARD TO A GREAT FUTURE MONTHS .

• January 16, 2014 at 10:37

Shows what a mess the team was in under Lomas. What on earth went on behind close doors? Hopefully it will come out once this season is over to ensure it doesn't happen again. Maybe Michael Calvin can do some training ground/dressing room fly-on the wall research like he did for his fantastic Family book. Would be a real eye-opener... for all the wrong reasons this time.

• January 16, 2014 at 11:16

@Bexley_Lion: players used to sit the dressing room.listening to lomas spout of, bout this is how we used to do things & not do things at west ham...players stopped listening to the moron...until this is just a rumour..keogh told him to belt up you're at mfc now..bywater jumped to his defence so he got aslap of keogh...only a rumour

• January 16, 2014 at 10:42

I have got to say where is Mick Harford scouting and what for, a jobbing pro and young player who wants game time or someone we can bring through the ranks (that would be real scouting), I am supprised that he still is at the club as Lomas brought him in and it is usually the whole management team that get the chop.

The guy Ollie has got in from palarse his name is not Turpin as was printed in the artical about Bircham but Bulpin ?? they sound like an old comedy double act (lets hope they are not, as we just let a solo one go).

But what else would we expect from our new manager when he is going to take charge of the WALL for the first time at the Den of course he should be fired up cos if he was not what is he doing here,The target should not be give it a real go but FFS a win is what you fans and also deserve for the type of football that we have had to put up with this season, COYL!!!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 12:25

@Barnlion: We go on about the deadwood and wage thieves at the club but what has Harford done for his money, his only contribution so far is Hoyte, not much of a return is it?
      If thats all he can come up with get shot and take that poxy signing with you.

• January 16, 2014 at 10:58

Says all the right things and has identified in a week what Lomas couldn't see over 6months.. Really think we need to back IH as he is exactly the type of character we need just hope the players responded accordingly, if not they can p*** off IMO. Can not wait for Saturday, got a real buzz about the future of the mighty wall!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 11:02

Should be fun on Saturday, 3 points are badly needed.......COYL
    Not sure why we are keeping Harford, has he done anything since he's been here?

• January 16, 2014 at 11:03

What a breath of fresh air.
    He seems totally what is needed. He is seeing things clearly and has the balls to say them.
    Cant wait to give you a fantastic welcome Holloway.
    As he said we are all in this together so 90 minutes of non stop support and making the away team very nervous should be the order of the day.
    We will beat Ipswich, I have no doubt.
    COYL. MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• January 16, 2014 at 11:08

I take it Breaker's gone then???? Does anyone know?

• January 16, 2014 at 11:09

Ian lets move up the table, we need something back and I think you will deliver, just keep us up, great fans the best in the world and loyal, so we want the same loyalty, if we loose playing with hart that's ok, even if we go down fighting every game, we will never turn our backs.

• January 16, 2014 at 11:23

@mewall62: i was in a happy place .then you mentioned losing..How dare you..

• January 16, 2014 at 11:23

Gents l am as excited as the rest of you. But just a bit if gentle caution, there is no guarantee that we will win this, but you get a feeling this set up seems so much more professional. So win or lose l get a feeling that we are moving, at last in the right direction. The vibes you get from his comments encourages me, so it must rub off on the players. I like the bit, where he says the players need to care for each other, that is spot on. In every team l played for that was succesful, the dressing before the game was always buzzing, banter was brilliant, and we played for each other because these guys were my mates, and we did not want to let each other down. And just a thought about the Chairman and the board, l along with the rest of you, thought that had lost the plot. But they have pulled the stops out now (Training in Portugal, etc). So lets give them our best support, even if things dont go right (This transformation will be a long term thing).
    PS. The youth team are playing in the cup on Monday night, if we can get a load of us down there, it will show that we support this club, and what the board are trying to achieve. And give our future players the encouragement, they need on the night, and where they want to play in the future.

• January 16, 2014 at 13:38

@sups8892: Totally agree with this Sups. Saturday's game will not be easy but it is winnable. To be fair, we did alright against Blackpool, QPR and Burnley who were all top six when we played them even with Lomarse in charge. It certainly does sound like Ollie is pointing the team in the right direct with attitude, fitness and commitment, as I said, this is winnable even it is only a 1-0.

• January 16, 2014 at 12:21

Speaking to a coach of another London side this week and he said that Ollie is quite a tough cookie and despite his joking does not take any laziness or slacking. Looking forward to going back to the Den this Saturday as I wrote to JB saying I refuse to go any more until Lomas is out. COYL

• January 16, 2014 at 12:33

Totally agree with you. Last season was season ticket holder and went to fitst match aganist Yeovil this season total s*** and would not go again till Lomas was out.So will be down there Saturday.
    COYL

• January 16, 2014 at 12:55

Drive the ball multiple times straight through that Ipswich goalkeeper and into the net, turn the den into a madhouse of millwall chants that can be herd from London bridge and just f***** do it. Let's get sum points and get the f*** away from the bottom. All the chat in the world, it's time for action ,not words. It's damn hot here and I'm frustrated as f***. Sorry

• January 16, 2014 at 15:30

Can't wait for Saturday, first time back in south london since September, (money,keeping me away). Treating my son to birthday package and pie mash (of course). Hopefully the day will be rounded off with three points. COYL.

• January 16, 2014 at 15:37

Saturday's game is winnable, given also we do not have to play against the ref as well. There is a new refreshing spirit abroad which will make the Den electric on Saturday.
    I am just concerned that Holloway has time to bring in a new face or two, especially as they are going to Portugal for a week. Perhaps he has already laid plans out for that.

• January 16, 2014 at 16:01

@Peckhamlad: Dont worry peckham, i am sure Mick Harford will sort something out just as good as he did when he worked for Lomas.

• January 16, 2014 at 15:42

can't wait to give mac a verbal bashing on saturday and i bet he knows he's in for dogs, as well as his team. the only way is up! WUBBLE U !!!!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 16:45

@TONY BLOCK28: hav you seen that sad excuse for a beard mick the mug as...or has he been so nervous bout saturday .he didn't trust himself with a blade

• January 16, 2014 at 18:18

Not been posting any messages on here for a while as it was just so depressing knowing & reading how s*** we were.
    Anyway,Welcome to the Millwall family Ollie you are just what this great club needed & I have great faith that you will become a Millwall legend.
    In a funny way it may have been a blessing in disguise that Lomarse was appointed manager as Ollie was at crippled Alice & not available.
    A big thank you must go to KJ,JB & AA for pulling out all the stops to get Ollie here & it has been great to here Ollie say how passionate & how much they Love our club because without these people where would we be now?
    So whatever happens with the remainder of our season I think we are in good hands & can see a bright future for all of us.So let's start Saturday by turning out in numbers & supporting Ollie & the team in trying to turn our nightmare season around.
    Also it will help to give JB some of his hard earned cash back because he obviously has come to Love this club as much as we do.
    COME ON YOU WALL THE FUTURE STARTS NOW.

• January 16, 2014 at 18:20

Can see 14,000 plus on Saturday,really up for the game in the rain.

• January 16, 2014 at 21:18

@Longfield Lion:
      14 Thousand would be blinding Longfield. Fingers crossed.

• January 16, 2014 at 21:24

how many people know of friends/family coming for their first game of this year - I know 3 people who are going to their first game of the year - those are the ones who will make it 14,0000 potentially

• January 16, 2014 at 23:14

I say just as the let um come song finishes, we should all sing from block16 Ian we love u Ian we care Ian, lomas is p**** let me at him I dare.
    No jokes all vote yes or no depending on the outcome I will put my mobile number out here.

Ps this is message is for the coming Saturday providing I beat 51 likes

• January 16, 2014 at 23:38

Just like everyone else I am buzzing about the appointment of Ollie, and now Birch. The right things are happening, and what a difference! Sadly I can't be at the Den on Saturday as I will be working, but even though I will be in Kingston, I'll listen out just in case I can hear the Lions Roar 😉
    COYL!