bestkinky

Holloway to take Millwall squad to Portugal training camp

©
©

IAN Holloway is organising a winter training camp in Portugal for his squad.

NewsAtDen understands Millwall's players will jet off on Sunday evening, the day after their Championship clash against Ipswich, for five days of warm-weather training.

Holloway knows that he needs to improve fitness levels to successfully implement his high-tempo style and has some "serious work" planned for his troops over the coming weeks.

The Lions' trip to Yeovil Town on January 25 has been postponed because of the Glovers' involvement in the FA Cup, so Holloway has a free week to focus on physical training.

Millwall played an inter-squad friendly on Tuesday, which the first team won 2-0, and gave Holloway the chance to assess every player at his disposal.

He said: "It was a fantastic exercise because I have now seen everybody play and now I can start introducing what I want.

"I started doing that with the team from last Saturday – Chaplow was out of it, so I put Trotter in instead. I worked them hard and they trained at a very high tempo.

"It was a very good introduction to some of the players for me. Some of the young lads were bright, sharp, fit and strong, and unfortunately some of the ones who haven't been playing regularly looked a bit rusty.

"I've got ten days after the Ipswich game to get some really serious work into them. It will be structured, physical and I'll be putting my mark on things over the next couple of weeks.

"They're getting a big slice of me and that's exactly what I want. The lads came in bright and breezy on Monday and I'll be giving them new challenges and new things to think about.

"I want them to go home every day knowing that they are growing as professionals. I want them to work together to make that wonderful badge they play for strong."

39 thoughts on “Holloway to take Millwall squad to Portugal training camp

• January 15, 2014 at 20:00

Can I come wouldn't mind the sun!!!seems like a good idea Holloway pushing the lads kicking their arses into gear. Roll on Saturday and the start of the fightback

• January 16, 2014 at 10:26

@paulsanders22:
      LOVED THE FUN - BANTER, TO READ BELOW !!!!
      ABOUT PORTUGAL, THE STIPPER ,ETC, ETC.........
      [ JUST WHAT WE NEED ON HERE, KEEP IT UP !!! ]
      THUMPS UP TO = dpendent , NICKOLA ,mfc1rob ,
      AND tonytowneron the wing.......................
      CHEERED ME UP HAVING STILL GOT A BIT OF FLU...........
      ROLL ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON.................
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN.......................IS NEARLY READY !!!

• January 15, 2014 at 20:03

Just what we want to hear, we thought they where unfit now we know it, thank a God Laurel and hardy have gone ( Lomas and the Fitness coach) what was he thinking ?

• January 15, 2014 at 20:03

I love it, if we cant stay up with him then we deserve to go down!

• January 15, 2014 at 20:11

Oliie is saying all the right things, lets hope that the players are responding as we need to see an improvement on Saturday, Ipswich will be a tough game.

• January 16, 2014 at 01:12

@Davey: POTUGAL HERE WE COME..ANY CHEAP FLIGHTS

• January 16, 2014 at 10:10

Jim28. I'am up for that Portugal that is not the training bit.

• January 15, 2014 at 20:33

i think ollie has watched them all in the practice match , and saw what most of us fans have seen , its dawned how unfit this bunch is , i bet a lot of them are blowing out of there backside , lets hope he throws a few young fit players in , its like preseason all over again for this lot

• January 15, 2014 at 20:36

If ya want to organise a week of warm weather training IH, bring the boys to south Australia. It's 46degrees Celsius today, certainly increased my fitness level running to the tap to get water.

• January 15, 2014 at 21:24

@grassgrower: tell me about it, I'm based in melbourne and although it's a little cooler here you don't half feel the lbs drop off when doing the basics.

• January 15, 2014 at 21:38

@manclion: are you the millwall man I met in ackland st st kilda a few weeks back? However, good on ya buddy and keep in the shade.

• January 15, 2014 at 20:57

Southend result might have been a blessing in disguise !........it means there's time to have a sort-out, plus no distraction from the 'bread & butter' games.

• January 15, 2014 at 21:06

This is a blessing. There has been a real lack of teamwork this season so hopefully a few days away will allow IH to get his ethos across without distractions and hopefully bring the players together as a group. Three tough home games against three form teams coming up, we'll need a hard working unit to pick up results, is 9 extra points on the table come 1stFeb too much to ask???

• January 15, 2014 at 21:08

Brilliant, not only is he improving the teams fitness he is putting the spirit back into the side. (Plus getting some money out of the board to pay for it!) Can anyone remember the last time the team were taken abroad for training?

• January 15, 2014 at 21:51

@Peckhamlad: i'm pretty sure the board had money for the break in the summer but lomas was appointed too late for him to organise it.

• January 15, 2014 at 22:20

@Peckhamlad:
      Definately the first mid season training trip abroad Peckham. I agree about the whole team spirit building exercise. Masterstroke.

• January 15, 2014 at 21:17

I know a good strip club in villamoura on the algaeve boys, see if you can score !!!!!

• January 15, 2014 at 21:44

@dpendet: This is your wife ! When have you been to Villamoura ?
      I've left your bags outside the front door,

• January 15, 2014 at 22:18

@NICKOLA: darling it's where we met, you was a working girl !!!!

• January 15, 2014 at 22:23

@dpendet: Pick a window. You're leaving.

• January 16, 2014 at 07:59

@dpendet: was she a good dancer.

• January 15, 2014 at 23:00

@NICKOLA:
        Can I throw my hat into the ring as dpendet's replacement. Could you give an indication of pay and conditions.....and perks

• January 15, 2014 at 21:56

The man is a triumph. You have my respect already IH.

• January 16, 2014 at 00:44

@NO1LIKESUS: your spot on..notice the mental one has booked it for after the ipswich game..if a promised trip 2 the algarve wont get em playing the're in worse shape than i fort...not so mad after all

• January 15, 2014 at 22:32

He says Chaplow was out of it, whats up with him now, him and Martin seem to be constantly on the sick.

• January 15, 2014 at 22:39

Ship shape and Bristol fashion.
    Good on ya ollie kick those lazy sods into shape and instill some much needed discipline in to em.
    may also explain all the training ground injuries we've had of late.

• January 15, 2014 at 22:51

What a refreshing outlook we've now got, Under Lomas it was like walking through treacle, Now, we've got somone in charge who would be most peoples best mate. Ian Holloway- I send you all the best me old cocker. You've got what it takes and we are now, finally, in very good hands.

• January 16, 2014 at 01:04

@NICKOLA: your right...to think after the boro game i felt like going home early after the game...went io pub got drunk..but now it seems as euen better..the doom & his gloom have gone...dont matter wot the score is saturday i know we are in good hands..P.S.cos it matters abut the score..COM ON U LIONS

• January 16, 2014 at 04:59

@Jim28: yep couldn't agree more, his decisions make sense an he talks our language. We need to trust IH will come up with a plan which will ultimately take us forward, even of we have to take a step backwards first.

• January 16, 2014 at 08:01

We gotta top manager, going warm weather training.I keep asking myself. Am i on the right website. I do hope JB we let oli spend a few quid as we know, you cant polish a turd. COYL!!!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 08:44

Not sure what is happening in training but we have not had a reported 'injury in training' since the arrival of Ian Holloway? Under the recent regime we could not have even trusted the players to collect their luggage from the airport carousel without the report of a strained ligament. I am of course assuming that they actually carry their own luggage...

• January 16, 2014 at 09:08

Lads and dancers, I like the way we are all looking at the positive with this appointment and I do share it but i would question the euphoria that has surrouned it. But he has not even got a point on the table yet and lets be honest he is saying all the right things, but doing is something else.

It was obvious that Lomas never connected with the players, because IMO at least half the team he put out did not seem to be too concerned that we had just lost, I do think Ollie can motavate players and get more from them but lets wait untill that happens and I do really hope it happens on Saturday.

If for some reason it does not then some of them seats on the plane should be empty and those left behind should train with the under 21's, but lets get the 3 points and then the plan can take off with all the seats occupied.

• January 16, 2014 at 09:13

amen. fitness is everything in this league. there is such little difference in quality for so many teams. Leicester have that runt knockheart who should be in the prem. cant think of too many other players who have ability oozing out of them. poxy lomas at the start of the season saying he was doing more work with the ball than traditional fitness work. well that's worked out. players injured every other week and goals galore conceded because we are not sharp enough.

• January 16, 2014 at 10:01

@isawrobbieryanscore: spot on lomas got it wrong from day one..no real fitness training...how they get injured? If your limbs are cold thee is more chance of injury..,. & another thing SL said we didn't have time to arrange our n6rmal trip to ireland to get fit...holloway has prouen with hard work you dont hav to get injured .& he cao arrange a trip..

• January 16, 2014 at 09:54

My only reservation about this is that IH still hasn't appointed a Number 2 and if he jets off to abroad for 5 days from Sunday there will only be a week left of the transfer window by the time he returns. That doesn't leave much time to sign any decent players to strengthen the squad for the relegation battle for the rest of the season.

• January 16, 2014 at 12:32

Thought bircham was his no 2

• January 16, 2014 at 22:51

Would be interesting to know if other clubs do the same, ih as said be4 u with no money (not wage or buying power good luck mate) however I've nothing but respect 4 u