bestkinky

Holloway wants to return to Premier League with Millwall

© Focus Images
© Focus Images

IAN Holloway believes he can re-establish himself as a Premier League manager with Millwall after stints in the top flight at Blackpool and Crystal Palace.

Holloway sees no reason why he cannot replicate previous careers successes at The Den, having guided two unfancied teams to promotion from the Championship in the past.

And the 50-year-old, who signed a two-and-half-year deal with the Lions this week, admits his long-term ambition is to have another go at bossing in the top tier.

"If I had a fair crack at being a Premier League with a big budget I believe I could do it," he said. "But I'm going to have to get there again with Millwall.

"I am not one of these foreign fellas who gets a job because he has known Jose Mourinho for ten minutes or met him on a train. That normally gets you the foot in the door, doesn't it? I did try and go to Chelsea's training ground to say that I'd met him!"

One of Holloway's primary aims at Millwall is to make the club more attractive to potential new signings – which he says will be crucial to pushing the Lions up the league.

"When Millwall had Chris Wood and Darius Henderson up front, the team got towards the play-offs," he said.

"We haven't got Henderson anymore and we haven't got Wood either. I asked the chairman, 'why didn't you buy Wood before you borrowed him on loan?'

"That would have been £1million at the time and he probably would have signed. But when Leicester came along, Millwall were always going to be in trouble.

"I want to change that around. I want people to come to me and want to play football for this club because I can help them get better.

"Don't tell me I didn't do that at Blackpool because I did and we almost stayed up when we weren't given a chance.

"Why can't I do that here with the fan base and stadium we've got?

"The training ground is already better than the one I had at Blackpool – the lads get their kits washed, we've got a canteen and the food is warm! We've already got a fantastic gym.

"So what am I worried about? For me, coming here is a step forward."

Holloway's most http://onlinepharmacies247.com/cymbalta_generic.html recent success in the Championship came last season with Palace, who he guided to promotion via the play-offs.

"I changed things there very quickly and went back to the defensive side of things with more counter-attacking," he recalled.

"We weren't fancied to go up but we still did it anyway, largely down to stopping other team's passing patterns.

"People say Watford did not turn up for the play-off final at Wembley, but I'm sorry we knew their patterns and stopped them.

"Brighton in the semis? 'Oh, we'll see you on the Monday,' they said after the first leg, but we stopped them too.

"Some of the individuals we had in that team were good enough to score goals anyway, but when I look at the squad here, it does not take a genius to work out we have some good players who can score too. Let's get that focus and get that going.

"When you attack, you have to get the bits behind it ready to get the ball back again. That hasn't been consistent, and we're going to try and fix that.

"I will be patient with the lads because I don't want them to feel pressure. I'll keep saying what I want to say to them and I believe we'll be very successful here."

Holloway is well-known for his attacking philosophy and intends to change the public perception of Millwall through an entertaining style of football.

"I want people to come here and talk about a different Millwall, instead of what the mind lingers back to in the past," he said.

"We had a problem in society, when a lot of people thought they could use football as a vehicle to be violent.

"This club has been tarnished, but now I hope we can add a way of playing that people will want to spend money on, and be proud of something else.

"I want to be brave. You have to master the football. That's my gospel, that's my bible. I'm embarrassed as an English coach that we can’t keep the ball like other countries.

"I'd like people in ten years' time to say: 'What a job Holloway's done! Look at the football they play now, and look at the way they pass the ball. Look how many they have got in the England team'. Why not?"

39 thoughts on “Holloway wants to return to Premier League with Millwall

• January 10, 2014 at 10:16

He's making me laugh this fella hahaha should go down famously with the wall faithful.

COYL!

• January 10, 2014 at 11:41

@mfc1rob: made me larf an all

• January 10, 2014 at 11:50

@mfc1rob: He's got some great lines, so funny.

• January 10, 2014 at 10:31

Classic stuff already.
    Love it.

• January 10, 2014 at 10:31

Calm down Holloway lad, I'm tryna keep up with all these articles

• January 10, 2014 at 10:42

Ollie, it would be a first for Millwall if you dont count the old first division, and where is all this money coming from to help you in your ambition to get back to the promised land, if you are going to be able to do what you are saying and every Millwall supporter would love you to do it, are you able to do it with the squad you have at this moment.

IMO we need a tighter defence someone to really run the middle of the park and up front some one he can score at least in the higher teens per season and then we may have a slight chance, because who ever comes down have that massive parachute payments for 3 years, but I really hope you give us some hope and I think it will be different.

• January 10, 2014 at 10:50

Got a lot of bunny hasn't he? Never heard so much optimism from a Millwall manager before, lets hope it pays dividends and comes true. The proof is in the pudding as they say. However I hope we are not going to keep seeing all these photos of him on here otherwise it is going to turn into a "cult of the individual" scenario. Millwall are the club, fans, and team including the manager in that order.
    As he alludes to, these days the cult of the celebrity has become popular these days with the managers becoming more important than the club and the fans mere spectators. Morinho Wenger Fergerson seem more important than the clubs themselves. Blame the media for that.
    Roll on 3pm tomorrow!

• January 10, 2014 at 13:22

@Peckhamlad: With you on that one Peckham! Lets just see! Always full of hope when a new manager joins. One game at a time Ian hey!

• January 10, 2014 at 10:51

I THINK MILLWALL BEING IN THE PREMIERSHIP IS THE F.A S WORST NIGHTMARE.... AS GABRIELLE WOULD SAY... DREAMS CAN COME TRUE

• January 10, 2014 at 10:52

And he's not been here a week yet !
    Next month we'll be targeting Champions League ?

• January 10, 2014 at 11:03

@frank:
      WELL SAID frank !!!............... [ HA, HA, HA ] .
      BARCELONA , REAL MADRID & B MUNICH.........
      [ HERE COMES OLLIE & MILLWALL ]
      I CAN'T WAIT.......................WE WENT TO SEE MILLWALL
      IN HUNGRY , NOT SO LONG AGO, SO WHY NOT SPAIN
      AND GERMANY ????

" NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN......................READY FOR THE CONTINENTAL'S !

• January 10, 2014 at 11:02

How longs the trip to Huddersfield and do ya reckon a few numbers gettin up to the game? Hope the optimism can translate into a 3pt raid and lots of fun n frivolities on the way back home.

• January 10, 2014 at 11:14

HAHAHAHAHAHA already you're twice the manager lomas was and you haven't even had a game in charge .

• January 10, 2014 at 11:52

Great to see us getting more profile with such a great character in charge, now let's get some results and move up the table. Gonna be an interesting few months.

• January 10, 2014 at 12:17

If Ollie can get us playing entertaining attacking football,that will do for me.

• January 10, 2014 at 12:27

@Longfield Lion: If they can be as entertaining as him then that would be great.

• January 10, 2014 at 12:18

Two changes Tomorrow and after that I expect some serious Wheeling and dealing. Might be the last time we see some of these so called Millwll players. Having watched the DVD's he'll know full well what needs to be done and where strengthening needs to take place. We're in your capable hands Ollie, get the broom out and sweep it clean.

• January 10, 2014 at 12:49

@NICKOLA: Too right Nick, I think he may need one of those big yard brooms because there may be a lot that he needs to sweep away, must say though the last few days have been really entertaining, but tomorrow the serious stuff starts, so wishing you Ollie a graet start as our manager 3 points my son COYL!!!!

• January 10, 2014 at 15:30

@NICKOLA: knowing how much he likes players to be comfortable on the ball, could Josh WRIGHT get another run out?

• January 10, 2014 at 13:09

Quality stuff from Ollie. Sounds like a proper wind up merchant which the fans will love.

Great week for the club in the appointment of Ollie, 1st news conference, hearing about his aspirations etc... but would like to see him get the tracksuit on and get on the training pitch.
    I think Ollie is in for a shock when he see's some of the sh!te we've had to put up with from these players.
    Definitely see him bringing 3 - 4 players in before the end of Jan, hopefully all defenders.

• January 10, 2014 at 14:22

@Syd the Lion: Would like to see a Wood McD partnership. Or similar.

• January 10, 2014 at 14:46

@Sealion: All I want to see is 100% commitment from each and every player in out team. If they do that, then we will win games, that I'm certain.
        Don't see Woods coming back to us, although not sure I want him back TBH.

• January 10, 2014 at 15:53

@Syd the Lion: Just saying that I think McD if he stays would function a lot better if he had a strong target man alongside for him to feed off.
          Although I like Morison he's not that kind of player. If we can't give McD someone like that then we may as well get rid of him because he is wasted.

• January 10, 2014 at 13:24

One step at a time Ollie, one step at a time.

• January 10, 2014 at 14:29

i wonder if everyone will think hes funny if we lose our next three games ? We need to give this guy a chance no matter what happens,get down the den instead of slagging off all and sundry on here . Now is the time to show how much we love this club.

• January 10, 2014 at 15:17

@thecolumbusblock: Can't see anyone slagging off from the comments. Some are getting carried away and other remain to see what happens! Calm down son!

• January 10, 2014 at 17:09

@thecolumbusblock: I want Holloway to be here for the long haul no matter what, regardless if we get relegated, rebuild and rebrand our style of football much like Swansea and Brighton (and to an extent how Doncaster use to play). Stability is key and so important and that's exactly what JB and AA know and want, Kenny Jackett is a prime example of that and did very well for club in his tenure.

• January 10, 2014 at 15:21

Slow down, Ian! I need to catch my breath! Premier League? If you can do that then you will be a Millwall hero forever.

• January 10, 2014 at 15:59

Just a question does anyone subscribe to "Lions Player" ? Is it just commentary or can you watch some away games as well?

• January 10, 2014 at 16:08

@Peckhamlad: It is just commentary mate,Its too bad.
      Sometimes you might catch the boys on this site

• January 10, 2014 at 16:48

@colin66: Thanks I may give it a go.

• January 10, 2014 at 16:07

Good luck Olly hope you get your first away win, keep us up you will be a hero.

• January 10, 2014 at 16:10

With the picture they have got with Ian and Andy they look like right said fred

• January 10, 2014 at 16:31

What a loon, "the lads get their kits washed,we've got a canteen and the food is warm!" Haha, what the f*** do they feed em up north?

• January 10, 2014 at 16:51

I like IH, however he was walked from a few jobs due to not being supported by the Chairman and not having their backing. I just hope whatever JB & AA have promised to provide him with they stick to it otherwise this happy IH won't last.
    I really hope this works out and maybe in my life time I will see Wall in the Premier League 🙂

• January 10, 2014 at 18:47

After the embarrassment of recent weeks, it's been a really good one following the arrival of IH. Lot's of enthusiasm and if the players aren't inspired and motivated by him can't see who else could do it. Some great comments and for one I'm really looking forward to what happens next.
    Have been critical of JB and AA but they have done a good job to get him in.