bestkinky

I don't care if players like me or not, says Millwall manager

© Focus Images
© Focus Images

IAN Holloway has taken Millwall's famous motto to heart by insisting he does not care if his players like him or not – so long as they follow his orders.

Holloway says his first task in charge of the Lions is to generate a bit of confidence in the dressing room – even if that involves some tough love.

The 50-year-old has taken two training sessions since his appointment on Tuesday – and striker Scott McDonald has revealed he is already popular with the players.

But Holloway said: "I don't know whether they like me or not – I don't care. I've changed on that front – they don't have to like me, they just have to do what I bloody well tell them.

"Once I get them into doing that, I think they'll enjoy what I'm telling them and what we'll be doing. If we can show our fans we care, they don't have to do much more than that.

"I do not think there is much wrong. Anybody can lose confidence, and what is confidence? Confidence is very, very simple – it's an anticipation of a positive outcome.

"When Jermaine Easter got sent off last weekend, they started to think negatively. When you haven't got a leader on the sidelines to drag you through situations like that, it's difficult.

"But excuses are gone, let's get on with it. I believe I will get them out of the way they are thinking and get them a bit more positive.

"I have watched the goals against and the goals for so far this season, and unfortunately the goals against took twice as long to watch as the goals for, and there lieth the problem.

"It takes a very short time to lose confidence but quite a while to build it up. I'm all about encouraging people and I'm sure they will get there – I've been delighted with them so far."

28 thoughts on “I don't care if players like me or not, says Millwall manager

• January 9, 2014 at 23:16

Get the team defending set pieces and we'll be up the table in short order.

• January 10, 2014 at 00:04

I dont how he's gunna get through a training session ..if he spends his time writing loads of articles....do we care who is on the palace staff

• January 10, 2014 at 09:30

@BetaMale:
      KEEP IT UP MR HOLLOWAY, I WANT TO KNOW LIKE MOST
      MILLWALL SUPPORTERS AS MUCH INFOMATION ABOUT THE
      TEAM , ETC, ETC AS POSSIBLE..............
      WE ALL [ SOME ON HERE, MORE THEN OTHERS ] , WRITE A LOT
      AND STILL GO OUT AND DO OUR WORK, PLUS OTHER BUSINESS,
      SO WHY CAN'T YOU..................
      I BET SOME OF THE OTHER MANAGERS ABOUT, JUST PUT THEIR FEET - UP
      AFTER TRAINING SESSIONS...................[ NOT YOU "OLLIE" ]
      YOU GET THE "BIRO" OUT STRAIGHT AWAY, AND SAY TO YOURSELF...........
      NOW, WHAT CAN I TELL THE MILLWALL FANS AND THE PRESS ?????

" NO ONE LIKES US , WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN......................................STILL DOING " WRITTEN EXPRESSION "

• January 9, 2014 at 23:33

Didn't think the comment regarding a leader at Southend was necessary as Harris is a leader even though he is not experienced as a coach. I am right behind you Holloway but if I was Harris reading that I wouldn't appreciate it.Counter productive in my opinion.

• January 9, 2014 at 23:50

@wall2wall: Well there are leaders and leaders, some are effective others are not. Obviously at Southend the team surrendered, although Holloway says it was not as bad as was made out. Would the team have responded better if Holloway was manager against Southend? A hyperthetical question as it is history and we must look forward.

• January 9, 2014 at 23:53

@Peckhamlad:
        I think he could of worded it better. That's all Peckham. The power of words and all that. Cant wait to get going Saturdau though. Exciting times ahead I hope.

• January 10, 2014 at 08:39

@wall2wall: I think he was talking generally about the situation and didn't mean Bomber specifically. I'm sure Bomber will be looking at his situation now cos IH may well want to bring in his own backroom staff. The rest of this month should be very interesting.

• January 10, 2014 at 09:02

@Bolland:
        I do see what your saying Bolland, I just thought he could of worded it a lot better. Regarding Harris I think it would be tragic if he wasn't involved at some level. I sincerely hope that he is. As you say we shall soon find out.

• January 10, 2014 at 09:10

@wall2wall: Oh yes, strongly agree about Bomber & maybe he should concentrate on bringing the youngsters through which would be a good role for him (he is a great role-model himself both as a man & professional) and for the club's youth development a long with gaining experience in man-management.

• January 10, 2014 at 13:42

@wall2wall: maybe he's seen something in Harris that he don't like, being a legend at Millwall doesn't make you a good coach. He will have to make huge changes right through the club if Bomber don't fit those plans he'd be out. He's been paid to manage, after all it's his head on the block. The players response to Harris was very poor.

• January 10, 2014 at 14:06

@Lincolnshire Lion:
        I think people will have different definitions about what makes a good coach and obviously Holloway's the main man now but I still say it will be a sad day if he gets rid of him and one that I wouldn't support.
        Anyway,onwards and upwards. Roll on 3pm tomorrow for the next chapter in our history. It certainly wont be dull.
        COYL.

• January 9, 2014 at 23:49

Have there ever been so many articles in one day?

And good to hear Ollie's not there to try and be their mate. They're there to do as they're told and earn their wage.

• January 9, 2014 at 23:49

Any player who though he was going to be mr nice guy or a pushover are clearly in for the shock of there lives & their future at the den..we got bomber to inform him which younsters are ready for the first team squad..nice to see he's looking at all aspects of MFC..knuckle down lads you,re in for a tough ride

• January 10, 2014 at 00:32

i know he's only just got here but im backing over any one of those players. and that's the end of it! there is NO excuses now , this man ain't no toby like lomas if they don't listen it's goodbye , f*** off from me lol i don't care if it's trotter , morro , chaplow , bailey , even abdou or dunne if they ain't gonna do their job or don't want to find somewhere else to jog. i can't see many of em not liking you ollie lol your a bit of a geezer haha there might be 1 or 2 out of the god knows how many in the squad we have at the moment ....to many i know that much , but it's better than 9 or 10 not liking ya like they didn't lomas i think if they were all honest they would admit that to . it may well come out soon! not that we need telling you could see it from a country mile , it didn't help the fans hating him it rubs off pretty quickly lol and im glad it did . im for one chuffed we had lomas coz if we didn't we would never have got you in here . do ya best a*** kicking ollie coz we'll be not far behind joining in if they act up simple. if i could get paid grands a week for kicking a football about , the last thing i would be doing is moaning .

• January 10, 2014 at 01:04

Doesn't really matter who you are or what position you hold in the club, respect the history , respect each other and treat serving millwall football club as a privilege not a right.

• January 10, 2014 at 01:43

Olly's a nut, his quote if their not blowing when they come off that pitch, then they have let me down, hope you can pull that off to many lazy players, you will pull your top lip over your head in frustration, lomas has done us from inside out, if you fire this lot up you will be a legend, go for it Olly just get us to safety.

• January 10, 2014 at 08:35

Looks like he doesn't care who he upsets. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm reading about Brian Clough at the moment and although Ollie hasn't achieved half of what Clough did (yet), there are a number of similarities.

At the moment it's definitely a good thing with the way the team is playing. After watching the full press conference I can't see a long term future for the players we have who can't keep and pass the ball. So farewell Robinson, Abdou, Dunne, Feeney. Which, when you think about, it is a surprising short list and shows just how little Lomas got out of the players.

• January 10, 2014 at 13:12

@junkmale: PLEASE ADD, SHITU, SMITH AND BEEVERS - NOT FOOTBALL PLAYERS - I HAVE TIME FOR BEEVERS BUT ONLY AS A STOPPER - HE HAS TO HAVE CULTURED PLAYERS AROUND HIM -

I WOULD SLIGHTLY DISAGRE WITH FEENEY - HE HAS POTENTIAL - BUT HE HAS TO GROW UP AS A PERSON AND DEVELOP SOME COMPOSURE - MAYBE HOLLOWAY WILL GE THAT OUT OF HIM

• January 10, 2014 at 13:20

@timchimes: Yes, I suppose I am being a bit harsh on Feeney. I didn't include Shittu because his problem isn't passing it's getting the ball in the first place

• January 10, 2014 at 13:45

@timchimes: disagree about Feeney he's a one trick pony and that tricks rubbish. Just not good enough. He has got time and a new slate to prove me wrong with Holloway and that's what the next few weeks is all about..... Sort em out Ollie

• January 10, 2014 at 08:48

Stop the moaning in the stands n get bloody behind the cause. Wont happen over nite. Coyl! Millllll!

• January 10, 2014 at 08:51

Is that Fresh Air I can smell. Well said IH, hope this is the start of something wonderful, but if things get worse before they get better then so be it. I can't feel any worse than I did after the Boro, Leicester and Sarfend games, so anything from the Uddersfield game will be a bonus.

• January 10, 2014 at 08:56

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SPEND MONEY YOU GET QUALITY...........PROPER MANAGER

• January 10, 2014 at 08:57

To be fair he does not need to take crap of the players, all he has to do is show them the form they have shown in the league over the last 12 months enough siad I would think. I am sure there will be some egos bruised but so what the main thing is Millwall Football Club players are just passing through, some leave a big mark others leave a bad smell but its Millwall thats important.

I think Ian Holloway knows that, so the team he puts out tomorrow will be interesting, because you may be able to see by omissions who may be be moved on soon. But I am sure he will let them know who ever starts that he wants passion and effort no matter what. COYL!!!

• January 10, 2014 at 09:21

@Barnlion: He's already stated that he is only making two changes to the team at Southend, so don't expect too much, as one is Easter. Probaly Woolford for Martin being the other. Main difference hopefully is desire and passion that is sadly lacking....................oh and skill, quality, positional sense, the ability to pass to a Millwall player etc etc. Wonder if any of the players have been tested for colour blindness?? I wonder sometimes, as some seem to pass to red shirts insetad of blue ones

• January 10, 2014 at 09:21

Just read the se press..so he dont want us patient be passionate instead.& aim it at the opposition...olly your not at palace now..where they even sing until there 2 up..WE ARE MILLWALL ..

• January 10, 2014 at 13:47

@Jim28: blimey ! ..... Is this English?

• January 10, 2014 at 09:26

It's not very often I post on here but I'd just like say the Millwall board have out done them self this time Ian holloway is the right man for the job The man has passion and all his teams have good football I think we have good times ahead.