bestkinky

New Millwall boss wants to stay at Den for years to come

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway wants to be Millwall's manager for years to come.

The new Lions boss has set out his long-term vision for the club after signing a two-and-a-half year contract to succeed Steve Lomas earlier this week.

Holloway, whose first game in charge is against Huddersfield Town on Saturday, inherits a Lions side hovering just one point above the drop zone.

He has previously guided Blackpool and Crystal Palace to promotion from the second tier but experienced relegation with Leicester City in 2008, before leaving the Midlands club by mutual consent.

He took charge of the Foxes midway through the season so knows from bitter experience how hard it can be to turn a struggling team's fortunes around.

But Holloway's ultimate ambition is to lead Millwall into the Premier League – like he did with south London rivals Palace last season – and insists that would still be the case even if they go down.

"It is a two-and-a-half year challenge – whatever happens," he vowed. "I haven't caused the current situation and I know how tough the division is.

"I went to Leicester, I could not keep them up and it all went horribly wrong. I have been relegated from this league as well as promoted.

"The chairman and I have had a long chat and he understands that I am more than willing to do these two-and-a-half years – at least.

"I am not going to worry about other clubs who might want to speak with me – I am that happy to have this project on my hands.

"Even if we go down this year, I will still be here trying to get the club back up and then promoted again to the Premier League – that's the truth.

"This job isn't about where we are at the moment, but where we're going in the future.

"I try to build up peoples' confidence and pass on my enthusiasm. At the moment I don't know how long that will take, which is why I said to [chairman] John Berylson that I want to be here for the full two years after this season.

"He's fully aware that I am here for the long haul. I won't be walking away from Millwall. I only walked away from my previous job because the chairman might have wanted me to.

"I am very proud of what I achieved at Palace and I want to get a similar thing going at Millwall, even if that takes a bit of time."

Holloway has revealed that the enthusiasm of Berylson and chief executive Andy Ambler during their negotiations played a vital role in convincing him to take the job.

"I just got blown away really by their passion for the club and how they felt I could help them," he said.

"To be honest it was a complete no-brainer. I was so flattered by how much they wanted me. I couldn't help but buy into the club immediately.

"The minute I met John I felt like I'd come home. He is a very impressive man to say the least. The way he and Andy handled our discussions was fantastic.

"They made it clear they didn't want anyone else but me, and that is very hard to resist."

57 thoughts on “New Millwall boss wants to stay at Den for years to come

• January 9, 2014 at 09:09

Can't ask for anything more from a manager. He deserves to succeed here and for our sakes let's hope he does.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:29

@Profiler4:
      SO, NOW WE'VE GOT OVER THE " INITIAL- POSTS " OF THE APPOINTMENT OF "OLLIE".......
      COME ON ! LETS HEAR WHO YOU ALL THINK WILL BE HIS FIRST APPOINTMENT OF " CAPTAIN "
      OF THE MILLWALL FC TEAM ? THAT IS GOING TO PLAY AT HUDDERSFIELD TOWN .............
      [ I HAVE MY OWN IDEA ] , BUT LETS SEE WHO YOU ALL THINK WILL BE WEARING THE ARM- BAND ?

" NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN............................WAITING TO HEAR IT FROM YOU ALL.
      PS. DON'T BE SHY............ITS ONLY A BIT IOF FUN !!!

• January 9, 2014 at 11:02

@bermlion: I would make Bailey captain, it would probably bring the best out of him.

• January 9, 2014 at 12:33

@Profiler4: @Profiler4: I am not having a go about Ollie, but how different we all are comparied with when Steve Lomas came along, its only 3 months since Holloway left the palarse and he took them where we can only dream of getting in the very near future.

Are we a fickle bunch or just desperate for success at any cost , dont get me wrong I want success as much as anyone, but our attitude has suprised me, would Chris Powell or Curbs been welcomed like Ollie, or is it that he seems and affable bloke so we like him.

• January 9, 2014 at 09:28

THAT SOUNDS GREAT TO ME !!!!
    EXACTLY, WHAT WE ALL AT MILLWALL FC WANT..............
    I KNOW THAT ITS EASY FOR A MILLWALL SUPPORTER TO SAY IT FOR THEMSELVES,
    BUT REALLY, WE DO AND HAVE FOR MANY, MANY, MANY YEARS HAD THE NOISIEST, MOST PASSIONATE, [ AGGRESSIVE AT TIMES ], BUT THATS BECAUSE WE
    WANT THE TO DO WELL FOR SOUTH LONDON, THE BEST FANS MONEY CAN BUY.
    I LIKE MOST PEOPLE HERE, ARE GLAD THAT THE BOARD HAVE SHOWN [ AT LAST ] THAT
    THEY TOO WANT SUCCESS TO ARRIVE AT MILLWALL FC.
    NOW, WE ALL JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT A GO AND A CHANCE !!!

" NO ONE LIKES US , WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN...............................IS "HAPPY" AGAIN .

• January 9, 2014 at 10:16

@bermlion: at a recent Xmas party I was at , people were talking bout where they were goin for their holidays . Most were heading to destinations in aust somewhere or some o,seas and when i told them I'd be heading for millwalls last two games of the season the common thread was, "f***, are you mad" . Most in the land of oz support prem league but they just don't get it do they!!! Il never forget that noise the first time, "loud and proud, millwall mayhem!!! Love it!

• January 9, 2014 at 11:46

@grassgrower: I hope they make your journey worth it. I only have a 45 min trip and at times this season that has felt a real effort.

• January 9, 2014 at 12:18

@MFC Lion: if IH can develop a culture amongst the playing group that embraces and feeds off the fanatical support offered by the fans then things will turn MFC and every trip to the den will worthwhile. I can't wait to get there and it's bloody hot in adelaide . Cheers

• January 9, 2014 at 09:30

Sensible to openly talk about relegation rather than blindly refuse to accept it. His biggest problem will be the squad and their commitment levels. With only January to act he really has a tough job to keep us up.

• January 9, 2014 at 09:30

Great to read.
    If you like it now Mr holloway just wait until you experience the best 12th man in the football world.
    COYL.

• January 9, 2014 at 09:31

I have just read wot IH had to say.i must admit its refreshing to read such honesty..instead of a load of b**locks..more pleasing is that he's in it for the long haul..even if we drop he said he wouldn't walk away(..which is something this fan was worried..this kind of honesty will fill a lot more seats at the den

• January 9, 2014 at 12:04

@Jim28: yeah, it gives us foundations to build on for future success. Clearly JB and AA played a big part in convincing him that the club was committed to his placement. Nice to see him come out with such a positive goal as getting promoted to the PL also.

• January 9, 2014 at 09:32

AND, NICE TO SEE SOMEBODY HAS GIVEN IAN HALLOWAY A TIE TO WEAR
    THAT LOOKS MORE LIKE A MILLWALL COLOUR [ AWAY - KIT ] ..........
    MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE WILL GIVE HIM A " MILLWALL BLUE " ONE SOON.
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN...............................HAS SPOTTED IT FIRST !!!! [ HA, HA, HA ]

• January 9, 2014 at 09:57

@bermlion: You are right about the tie,but i don,t care what colour it is,i want that back four kicked into shape,if IH can sort that quickly then we will be well on our way out of the relagation fight
      With themmid-field and forward,s he has a lot to work with,butI think IH has his work cut out with the defense.Only malone with his enthusiasme has any thing for him to work with, to improve the the rest is going to be a big problem.
      My personal view if we can afford it is pay them to sit in the bridge bar,but get a new back four in.
      Holloway has nothing to prove to anyone what you see is what you get,and i am glad to have him on board but that shower in defense owe us fan,s a great deal,i will not include malone or robbo in my utter disgust of the way they have let us down this season,as malone has given his all,and as for robbo,i do not think he has recovered from his bad injury of last year .One thing for sure Robbo owe,s us nothing,but the other defender's do big time,i hope beyond hope they prove me wrong,

• January 9, 2014 at 10:22

I think you're find that its an old photo of his days at blackpool..AA get him a blue & white tie from the club shop.you tight git..

• January 9, 2014 at 09:40

My take on this is that Holloway is getting his excuses in early.

"And the 50-year-old has assured fans he will be staying at The Den even if Millwall are relegated at the end of the campaign."

Of course he will be staying at the Den even if Millwall are relegated as he has signed a two and a half year contract so, unless he is sacked, he will still be here.

Hasn't he been appointed to turn things around so that we don't get relegated?

I thought that one of the criteria from Berylson was that Holloway keeps us in this division?

• January 9, 2014 at 10:13

@jim1222: Sorry Jim, I read it a bit like Max. We are not in the bottom three and halfway through the season with a transfer window, the pledge of financial backing from the board and plenty of time to turn things around. It's a bit early in my opinion to start saying he will stay 'even if we go down'. With a two and a half year contract that should go without saying.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:15

@jim1222:

I'm supportive of Holloway and hope he does a good job. He has been brought in half-way through the season and should have enough time to turn things around so that relegation is avoided.

If he had been brought in with only 5 or 6 games left to play, then I could understand his comments about sticking with us even if we are relegated.

• January 9, 2014 at 12:45

@jim1222: Completely agree - what a complete and utter rubbish post by Max Wellhouse. All IH is saying is the truth. He's merely assuring us of what his plan is. He is NOT making excuses or the like. I've never heard him speak when at any club and think "he's dodging the question". This man is incapable of lying, I tell you! All you will get from him is brutal honesty - and this will be the major factor is his relationship with everyone connected will Millwall Football Club from the tea ladies (do they still have tea ladies, come to think of it?!), to the fans ... and everyone inbetween. What he said, according to the article, of course, is that he realizes that we are in severe danger, and that with all the good intentions he will supply, along with fate playing its part (injuries, mainly, not the form of a player), que sera time beckons ... and if that means going down, then he's already said he won't walk away. Given how much I believe what he says (see above), the I genuinely believe we have someone in charge who will guide us through thick and thin, whatever the outcome. I like his honesty, but the truth is only time can tell as to whether the beautiful relationship he has with us already will remain in place or not. Tell you what though - I cannot think of a single reason why ANY fan of MFC would want to P*** him off. The new matra should be - "In IH, we trust". COYLS!

• January 9, 2014 at 15:03

@robsep2b: thank,s rob, your post means i don,t have to answer max and adsy's post you put it in a nutshell.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:16

@max wellhouse:
      max wellhouse THAT COFFEE NEEDS SOME MORE "SUGAR" ............
      [ HA , HA, HA ].......... BUT, NICE TO READ YOUR VIEWS !!
      KEEP WRITING SOME MORE POST...............
      WE NEED SOME NEW BLOOD ON HERE, MIND YOU I HAVE ONLY
      BEEN POSTING FOR A BOUT 10 x WEEKS.......

" NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN............................POST AGAIN !!!

• January 9, 2014 at 09:43

I'm looking forward to the football league show Saturday night always liked holly in interview regardless of a win or loss. Onwards and upwards

• January 9, 2014 at 09:45

.........think he's talking about loyalty & dedication which is rare these day's. I hope he can get the same
    from the players. LOOKING GOOD ....SO FAR !

• January 9, 2014 at 09:51

I guess no news is good news !

• January 9, 2014 at 10:05

Let the good times roll on!

• January 9, 2014 at 10:10

When ever i read comments on here, everyone is slatting AA, yet he goes on and pulls off a coup like this! AA and JB went and got the best manager avaliable and not one person is giving the credit that is obviously deserved, all thats being said is what a great manager IH will be. Makes you think how short sighted some fans are

• January 9, 2014 at 10:22

@sjordan86: I thought IH said that Jackett was the main inspiration for him accepting the job? Credit to JB for sanctioning it upon undoubted advice from KJ but what did Ambler do - maybe signed a few papers?
      With the "relatively" easy task of keeping 3 teams below us come May, Holloway has a great chance of being around for a long while.

• January 9, 2014 at 15:04

@Bayern_Lion: read what holloway said,seem's like AA impressed him

• January 9, 2014 at 10:32

@sjordan86: sjordan have a look at 3,4 and 5 stories back and you will see posters giving credit to AA and JB and 4 or 5 of us holding our hands up saying how wrong we were, we cant keep saying it and I for one will not keep doing it

• January 9, 2014 at 10:16

Olly loyalty is what we expect, hope your a man of your word, to take over a team with no confidence, no passion, no drive, is going to be hard, Lomas must of slaughtered these players, give us back our real wall and you will fill those empty seats, safety only in mind .

• January 9, 2014 at 10:19

My mindset has been changed by his enthusiasm so, I hope he can change the players mind set they seem to play for themselves not the club. His statements appear to be enthusiastic. He needs to convert that to the players, we'll see how first impressions go on Sat against Huddersfield
    Hopefully onward and upward we go.

• January 9, 2014 at 11:52

@aeojt: not expecting a result at Huddersfield but surely the team owe us a vastly improved performance?!

After all they're playing for their futures now 🙂

• January 9, 2014 at 14:20

@MFC Lion: Does not matter the result, its the trying and effort input to the game. Change of attitude I mean

• January 9, 2014 at 10:20

People read these statements differently, some say its early excuses and other refreshing honesty, so you pays your money and takes your choice. I for one think he has seen what he has and thinks 'trouble at mill' and knows he has a hard job keeping us up with some of the less than quality players. (Dunne, Abdou, Robinson, Feeney, Shittu, Beevers) Hope Im wrong though and we go storming up the league.

• January 9, 2014 at 15:07

@beedoscores: beed i totally agree with your worrys about the player,s you mentioned

• January 9, 2014 at 10:25

WE LOVE YAH ALREADY IAN........ IF IT TAKES 5 SEASONS TO SEE MY BELOVED MILLWALL IN THE PREMIERSHIP THEN SO BE IT, WE WILL WAIT AN STICK BY YOU THROUGH THICK AN THIN LIKE WE DID KENNY.......... LET THEMMMM ALLL COMMMEEE DOWNNN..... TOO THE DENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• January 9, 2014 at 10:30

In Holloway we have faith, our first big name manager in years if ever. Well done Kenny for pointing Holloway towards The Den. Early days to dream of the premiership but maybe just maybe you never know................

• January 9, 2014 at 10:36

Ollie lets not get carried away mate, you have not even picked your first team yet, As you well know this is a results business and lets wait untill we have not had any results from any side you have picked at Millwall, So I would lower your expectations a little regarding using the Lions as a retierment plan until we are looking safe at least.

But good look in the future and I hope you get your wish, because that would mean the Wall would be doing well. COYL!!!!!

• January 9, 2014 at 10:40

Never judge anything by the packaging my mum always used to say, and as yet I am not going to get carried away with all the euphoria. Lets see what occurs over next 10 or so games, I am very open minded by Holloway's appointment and if he carries it off then I will be amongst the first to congratulate him. It will take time no doubt but the first priority is to keep Millwall up and build on that. Getting relegated would be a disaster andthe present squad have to work hard to keep us up. Holloway was right when he said the first thing is to be done is to stop losing! Easier said than done with our weak defence.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:54

really nice to hear this from ollie and the passion and commitment the boards part! after all them months of negativity , we have something to grab onto . i think i speak on behalf of all fans when i say no one likes us , NO ONE LIKES US , NO ONE LIKES US , WE DON'T CARE ! WE ARE MILLWALL SUPER MILLWALL , WE ARE MILLWALL FROM THE DEN OLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIE!!!

• January 9, 2014 at 11:21

Some fans think some of items in his column is just for show..i'am normaly one of those who take wot the manager says with a bit of salt..but not this one..it sounded honest & sincere...(probably cos it is).....no more talk bout relagation NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

• January 9, 2014 at 11:31

Wish Holloway the best of luck

• January 9, 2014 at 11:33

Agree, let's not worry about the league position, focus on the next game ONLY.

A point would be good up there as a start, if we can blast three then lovely!

Bit tired today after watching the man city versus no one match (match????) last night.

Apparently hoof It Sam is the 13th best paid manager in the world so even if they want to get rid it will cost a bundle.

Still mustn't laugh at others misfortunes.
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

COYL

• January 9, 2014 at 11:37

I agree with previous posters here. It is better he is clear from the outset that relegation is a very real possibility (he can only do his best to stem the rot). I didn't want a politician-type false promises and hopes type of manager. This is refreshing.

• January 9, 2014 at 11:38

Not posted since before the Southend game . I left Roots Hall feeling like id been kicked in the b*******! I MUST SAY THINGS ARE LOOKING UP! WELCOME ABOARD MR HOLOWAY ITS GOING TO BE INTERESTING.

• January 9, 2014 at 11:59

Morning all
    Not been to a game this season as I work Saturdays. Taken a day off on the 18th and will be there with my wife and two teenage children. I want to be in on the start of this.

MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• January 9, 2014 at 12:02

I think by talking about relagation he's just trying to bring the fans & players down to earth. Mind games already, wonder where he got that from.

• January 9, 2014 at 12:03

We've had some shocking results, no kind of consistency (other than being s***) and yet were still not in the bottom 3.

I think we are all agreed that holloway is a better manager than lomas and he apparently has funds available to strengthen so relegation would be a massive failure in my eyes.

Yes I know the teams below can improve so its a bit simplistic to simply say we only need to get a tiny bit better to stay up but likewise teams above will drop down should those below start picking up results.

Fix the defence and the points will start rolling in!

• January 9, 2014 at 12:08

Look everyone needs to calm down, IH its great to have you here, its a massive job you are undertaking and I'm sure you are the best man for the job. KJ and JB are responsible for getting him in and thats in part due to a lot of fans demanding and rightly so that we dont go for cheap options anymore. Thats that, now IH has 5 days to wait for the first game so every little comment will be blown out of proportion and every quip will be over analysed over and over again. This is a massive job to keep us in the division, he will do his best, he will stay, he will bring in his type of player and get the team to play his brand of football. I say let him do it, lets stop over egging everything and make sure you get as many people to come back down to the den, we need to be the 12th man again and help whereever we can and thats starts on saturday........lets give IH and everyone else a chance to put the pride back into the Lions Den.......I'm happy and I'm sure at least 96% of fans are happy so lets just give them a chance and get behind them......I dont want a new captain i want 11 captains out there all fighting to win every game......COYL

• January 9, 2014 at 12:27

THINK THAT WHEN JB IS NEXT AT THE DEN HE IS GIVEN SOME SORT OF STANDING OVATION.
    He is the man with the money and he has really put it in for Millwall. He has bitten the bullet over Lomas and probably have had to cough up a decent amount to pay off his contract, then goes and recruits a decent manager in IH and no doubt told Ollie that funds are there if he deems improvements are needed and to ensure Ollie signs. I will at the Ipswich game anyway if he’s there.

• January 9, 2014 at 12:45

Dont understand the criticism of what IH is saying here - on current form we're certs to go down! It needs to be made clear to the players and supporters that relegation is a real posibility and its is very much a case of IF we can stay up!!

I think we'll be OK following this appointment but it is by no means a certainty! I like his honesty - makes a change at Millwall this season!!

• January 9, 2014 at 13:59

it's a hell of a job for him - it is good to hear that he is talking long-term because the problems that got us here require better long-term planning - Lomas reacted too quickly in getting a squad together -perhaps his inexperience showing - that doesn't mean Holloway can't keep us up this year though - 25 pts will do it - we can get 7 wins and 4 draws or 6 wins and 7 draws

• January 9, 2014 at 15:11

Can we please stop predicting 4-0 3-0 win,s i will take a few 1-0 wins and a few draw,s