bestkinky

Holloway: Phone call from Jackett led to talks with Millwall

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

IAN Holloway has confirmed that former Millwall manager Kenny Jackett played a vital role in convincing him to become the new Lions boss.

Holloway put pen-to-paper on a two-and-a-half year deal with the club this morning before taking charge of his first training session.

And he told the club's official website that Jackett persuaded him to meet with the Den hierarchy to discuss the vacant position.

"I'm delighted to be here," Holloway said. "I was out of work and got a phone call from a fantastic friend of mine in Kenny Jackett.

"He recommended that I speak to Andy Ambler and John Berylson. I asked him why, and he told me what kind of people they are.

"I met Andy on Thursday and John on Friday, and I was completely blown away for lots of reasons. Everything they want for the club completely mirrored how I feel. I've never felt so wanted in my whole life."

Holloway knows he has a tough job on his hands with Millwall fighting against relegation.

"I want them (the players) to enjoy coming to work," he said. "When you're getting beat it's not fun, and I want to enjoy my life. That's what I've told them.

"It's all about enjoyment and encouragement. They looked a bit down after last weekend so let's see what we can do.

"It's a tough division but I look around that dressing room and there's some fantastic talent.

"Hopefully we can stop losing; that's the first thing. I'll try and galvanise them into a way of playing – a Millwall way of hard work and effort.

"Kenny did a fantastic job to get the lads up and we've had some changes which don't always work.

"It's a new group with lots of changes, but a fresh voice in me might help them a little bit. I want them to enjoy their football and start getting some results under their belts."

61 thoughts on “Holloway: Phone call from Jackett led to talks with Millwall

• January 7, 2014 at 16:25

IN HOLLOWAY WE TRUST!!! MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL WE'VE GOT A BRAND NEW MANAGER IM GONNA SING IT TO YOU!

• January 8, 2014 at 08:40

@steveomfc5:
      ALWAYS LIKED KENNY J.............MIGHT EVEN GET MY PHOT BACK OUT OF
      KENNY & ME TO PIN UP...........WELL UNTIL I CAN GET ONE OF IAN HALLOWAY
      & ME TOGETHER..............
      [ USUALL GET THE PICS AS THE TEAM COACH ARRIVES ON THE AWAY MATCHES ].
      " NO ONE L;IKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 7, 2014 at 16:28

Good job he didn't speak to f****** Lomas!

• January 7, 2014 at 16:34

There's only one Kenny Jackett!! Thanks KJ

• January 8, 2014 at 08:43

@harryfabian: Ollie, Hi Kenny I am in the frame for the Millwall Job what do you think of the club. KJ well Ollie you are out of work, if you get it you wont need to move your family will you. Ollie no thats true, but what about them as a club. KJ well I have 5 years there some were a bit tricky but most were good, there fans are loyal but there are on average 10,000 but they let you know what they want. Ollie do you think I can do it yeah as I said your out of work and you have done this at other clubs so go for it, oh dont forget to let them know i put a good word in eh.

KJ was proberly looking out for a follow manager who is out of work, and why would he not recomend the club he had just left on good terms and that has took him to there heart, he may have spoken to others and said the Lions are not for you but who knows.

Now let the football do the talking as we have not seen any this season, if he can get us into the teens in the league then we can look forward to next season, with hopefully some good signings in the summer and others moving on.

• January 7, 2014 at 16:37

Cheers KJ! Nice to know you are still looking out for us and have the clubs best interests at heart! Good luck Ollie!

• January 7, 2014 at 16:38

Who the f**** Lomas? Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllwall!

• January 7, 2014 at 16:40

Must have run out of things to say on this story by now Aldo, as you told us about him sounding out Jacket yesterday on the post at 15.34, we must also thank KJ for some of the contract extension he signed before he left the club, cant beleive he told holly the whole truth on some of his sigings.

• January 7, 2014 at 16:40

Well done Kenny and thank you - thats a reward to the fans for treating him so well even during the bad times.

• January 8, 2014 at 00:13

THATS WHAT WE DO

• January 7, 2014 at 16:43

If the above is true, then it shows what a decent person KJ is, despite the abuse he has received since he left us, he still tells IH that Millwall is a good place to go. I also like what IH is saying, no rash promises, hard work and effort is what he expects and he wants the players to enjoy the game, which, for whatever reason that has not been happening. Having said that, you feel also from what he is not saying that, he will not take s**t and anyone who is not of that mind will be on his bike. He was not my first choice, but I am 100% behind him.

• January 7, 2014 at 16:44

He wants them to enjoy their football, It would be great if we could enjoy it too.
    Welcome Olly and goodluck and thanks Kenny.

• January 7, 2014 at 16:49

All I ask now is that the fans get their a*** down the den and support the team they love

• January 7, 2014 at 16:52

"Hopefully we can stop losing"
    Amen to that Ian.

• January 7, 2014 at 16:59

Just been reading some of his post match quotes. I'm in absolute stitches. I think this bloke will fit in well around here. Good luck Mr Holloway, get us out of trouble, start building for the future and keep those quotes coming.

• January 7, 2014 at 17:04

Read it and weep !

• January 7, 2014 at 17:10

Thanks a lot Kenny, shows he still does care about the club. I am backing holloway 100% and the only way to give it to him is just to go down to The Den and support him every step of the way. We need to make The Den a fortress again! COYL!!!!!

• January 7, 2014 at 17:13

Top banana ollie! Great manager. We wil be fine im sure.

• January 7, 2014 at 17:20

WE'VEEEEE GOT OUR MILLWALLLLLL BACK BRING ON THE 18THHH COYLLLLLLLLLLLL

• January 7, 2014 at 17:43

We must not get carried away, there were a lot of similar comments when Lomas arrived, but Holloway has his feet on the ground and maybe we will see the effect on Saturday. If he can get the players believing in him and themselves plus the fans believing in the whole club then we cant fail but to move on up. Great that he has started with the team alreaady. Be interesting to see who will be in the starting lineup.

• January 7, 2014 at 17:47

I hope KJ told Ollie not to worry about the Anoraks , we always beat them no matter what !

• January 7, 2014 at 18:01

didn't KJ recommend Steve Lomas ????

• January 7, 2014 at 18:10

Nice to hear some positive feed back welcome to millwall from everybody in BLOCK 28.

• January 7, 2014 at 23:27

@block 28..i'll second that then again i mite be a bit biased...i wonder if mfc will jet fans fill it...instead of saying all tickets for that block are sold out

• January 7, 2014 at 18:23

I have no doubt that Ian Holloway is the right man for the job. Thanks Kenny and all the best Ollie.

• January 7, 2014 at 18:34

So we've established that Kenny Jackett was a Millwall legend and Ian Holloway will be a Millwall legend so that's over and done with. Now lets get this party started COYL MILLLLLLLLLLLLLWALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• January 7, 2014 at 18:55

I wonder if Ollie will keep his sunday slot in one of the tabloids, we might get some good publicity for a change.i always read his column,found it entertaining to say the least.this is surely, part of kj unfinished business with mfc.

• January 7, 2014 at 19:11

@harry fabian; i hope your post "theres only one kenny jacket" was done for a laugh, cos you were one of the first , and most regular " jacket out "merchants, remember, cos i do

• January 7, 2014 at 19:24

Thank you KJ.
    I must admit I did think kenny would have told ollie to stear clear after what happened last yr what with the wood fiasco and his dissapointment with the players attitudes.
    How similar and honest both kenny and ollie are will stand us in good stead. Kenny left us in the championship which has to be commended cause if we dropped we would more than likely be in the same mess we find ourselves in, as for ollie regardless what some millwall and palarse fans may think of him he was man enough and honest enough to leave them in the prem with enough time to try and stay up which again has to be commended.
    Good luck kj and thanks again
    true gent.

• January 7, 2014 at 19:31

Go on my son, both barrells!

• January 7, 2014 at 19:38

Nice one Kenny

• January 7, 2014 at 19:39

I think its important to remember that we've been complete and utter s##t this season IH has inherited a squad that has just been thrashed by a league 2 side in the cup. We aint gonna suddenly turn into Barcelona overnight. I really hope that the crowd give him a chance to turn things round like AA has said are only goal this season is championship survival. IMO this is the best manager we've had at Millwall in years and even if we got relegated theres no better man to take us back up. I hope it wont come to that but lets back the bloke and give him a chance

• January 7, 2014 at 22:08

@bazzer: yes he needs time but also space from people who don't understand football (AA) He needs a free hand to get in the personnel he needs coz what we have won't do

• January 7, 2014 at 19:57

Thankyou Kenny Jackett.
    A Millwall legend in my eyes.
    Class act.

• January 7, 2014 at 21:03

@wall2wall: Absolutely Wall2, he laid a solid foundation. We owe a lot to K.J. sure I.H. will build and strengthen that foundation even more.

• January 7, 2014 at 20:36

yeah, couldn't agree more, kenny jacket top top man , and an excellent manager. really hope he gets wolves up this season, hopefuly we will be in the champioship as well, and when he brings wolves to the den next season, we can give him the standing ovation he deserved, that we never got to give him.

• January 7, 2014 at 21:08

@bordersarebest0170:
      Look forward to that day . Gives me goosebumps just thinking about how great a reception he will get and as you rightly say, one that he truly deserves.
      Having his close pal Holloway there leading us out would be the icing on the cake for KJ I reckon.
      Just got to get some wins and put some breathing space between us and the drop zone. I am confident that we will with Holloway.

• January 7, 2014 at 22:10

@wall2wall: maybe we can loan James Henry from KJ

• January 7, 2014 at 22:32

@timchimes:
          Unfortunately I can see Trotter going to Wolves in 6 months especially if they get promoted.

• January 8, 2014 at 11:50

@bordersarebest0170: yYes agree - standing obvation before the match - total abuse during the 90 minutes then a final cheer at the end

• January 7, 2014 at 21:43

I'm pleased we signed him up before Manchester United came knocking on his door.

Imagine that they will be after a new manager soon.

• January 8, 2014 at 10:47

@ijb73: More like West Ham you mean. Got a very good chance of playing them next season now!

• January 7, 2014 at 22:22

Well done kj

• January 7, 2014 at 22:44

This will be a roller coaster ride folks,

If we do go down at least it will be with all guns blazing, somehow I think we will be OK.

Can someone talk to Dunne?

he seems to be a self appointed Mr Millwall, in my mind he's been lucky to get a contract here and should not be spouting about who manages this club etc.

Just get on with stopping the oppo scoring without diving in like a pub full back and we would all be happy my old china.

• January 8, 2014 at 01:58

Wot do you want dunny to ask the oppo strikers nicely not to score..if he wants to hurt the b**tards he has my blessing..& a lot of other fans...are you that sensitive..early this term the manager has tried a few in dunny role..none worked & thats inculding hoyte..which one do you really want...

• January 7, 2014 at 22:50

got the same feeling with that hammer C*** LETS hope it turns out better this time.
    COYL!!

• January 7, 2014 at 23:03

thanks to kenny , i hope at the end of season we are safe , and wolves go up , it would be great to see kenny , and ollie together leading there teams out next season at the den, we as fans never got the chance to give him the thanks he deserves for the good 5 or so years , i dont think we would have got ian without his help

• January 7, 2014 at 23:57

Iwatched dunno's interview on sky..the media probably grabbed him..i hav met dunny at a do to raise money for a long serving millwall fan..he walked in with bomber...not once did he give it the billy big b**lockr..you calling him mr millwall is spot on DUNNO IS TRUE BLUE

• January 8, 2014 at 01:06

@Jim28:Jim he might be Mr millwall,but he just aint good enough for the championship.

• January 8, 2014 at 11:48

@Jim28: Met Dunne at the Millwall Darts night and had a decent chat with him. Bloke couldnt be more down to earth. Same to be said of Robbo. Both top fella's.

• January 8, 2014 at 12:19

@Jim28: My mates say Im a top bloke, but that doesn't make me good enough to play. Dunne & Robbo are past it, and we should all accept that and move on. I met both at an end of season dinner, nice blokes, but time to make way.

• January 8, 2014 at 01:19

I have just seen IH interview on millwall website he said he is going to leave things in the hands of the coaching staff for a couple of day's,so he can look at a load of millwall,s CD,s to see just what is needed.
    Ian i think you are going to have a few nightmares when you see what has to be done with the defense.
    also ian you have given a lot of hope to many fan,s,who i am sure are going to give you great support,i just hope our defense is going to give you the same level of support as us fan,s are going to give you.
    I cannot wait for the Ipswich game as i am sure your arrival will put a few thousand on the gate and get us roaring again.
    you have got my support no matter what.

• January 8, 2014 at 01:32

I'm really disappointed in our fans thinking that KJ is anything but a legend at Millwall and perhaps one of out top 3 managers of all time. There are obviously a few issues with this squad that KJ created but he also was the foundation of our club and rescued it from what could have been the end.

We have short memories when KJ took over we were in the bottom 4 of league 1, he left us in the championship (admittedly only just), we struggle to get fans to the den in this league never mind league 2. KJ will always be respected in my household and will be bought a pint if I ever have the privilege to meet him in a pub.

Now for the future, holloway has his work cut out. He needs to re invigorate this group of players and that is a huge task. I honestly believe he is the only manager out there that can turn this season around and we might, might just stay up. If we don't then holloway is the man to get us back up.

Holloway knows what to expect from us, if his team fights and wears their shirt with pride they will be fully supported with loudest 10,000 fans anywhere in the world. It's his job to give belief to the players, it's our job to make sure the opposition is punished for thinking that coming to the den is an easy 3 points.

No one likes us, we don't care.

• January 8, 2014 at 09:57

@dragonflymfc: Well said! Struggling in the Championship hasn't been much fun over the past couple of season but if we manage to stay up it will still in the top 20 of the club's all-time League positions!!! Relegation would have huge financial implications and getting out of League One isn't easy - just ask Wolves and Sheffield United whose resources dwarf ours!!!

• January 8, 2014 at 06:41

Ok Mr Holloway now its time to kick some butt in the dressing room and get us playing like a decent millwall side Coyl !

• January 8, 2014 at 07:09

@333lions: well said 333, I watch the scores on my iPad at 2am in the mornings in aust and f***** hate seeing those shitty early goals conceded. Boys do the job on the field and the fans do the job in the stands , everyone will be pleased (rant over)

• January 8, 2014 at 09:33

I cant help myself thinking that if Holloway could get Blackpool up, what about us then?

• January 8, 2014 at 23:23

@Bingolion: If Palace can go up with Murray and Zaha then we can go up with Marquis and Feeney, anything is possible in the championship. If Holloway stays for 3 seasons I reckon in the 3rd season we could get promoted.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:14

If Jenny really wanted to help us out he'd have talked Holloway (or virtually anyone else) into the job before the Lomas debarkle!
    Really great news to get someone like Holloway installed but I'm trying desperately hard not to get carried away and keep expectations reasonable. Keep us up, move on those players with the wrong attitude and strengthen with commited people and I think that will be a great start for this season.
    You'll see the difference immediately with Holloway a man that fans will be more than happy to get behind (don't take that the wrong way).