bestkinky

Harris gutted for players after Millwall beaten by Leicester

©
©

NEIL Harris admitted he was "gutted" for his players after two controversial refereeing decisions led to Leicester City goals in a 3-1 defeat at The Den.

Shane Lowry was barged over in the build up to Anthony Knockaert's opener and Lee Martin was sent sprawling moments before Jeffrey Schlupp scored the killer third.

Referee Tim Robinson was officiating only the fourth Championship fixture of his career.

And joint caretaker boss Harris said: "I'm disappointed for my players, in fact I'm gutted for them, because I thought they were fantastic from the first minute to the last.

"They did everything that was asked of them.

"I thought we were better than the best team in the league today but we did not get the breaks and were on the wrong end of a couple of decisions that cost us goals.

"We missed chances at 2-1 and if I was being critical, our final ball in the final third was slightly disappointing. There were a lot of positives.

"It was clear to see that the ref got two decisions wrong before two of the goals. We have the benefit of watching the replays, and looking back now they are clearly two fouls.

"The Knockaert challenge on Lee, which led to the third goal, was a foul, and that came just as we were building up some momentum.

"The first goal came from a foul on Shane. For me, if your body is between the opposition and the ball, it has to be a foul.

"The referee has a very tough job because he has to make instant decisions, but I felt he got those wrong today."

With the score at 2-1, Jermaine Easter spurned a golden chance to equalise when through on goal, and Harris admitted the Lions lacked a killer instinct.

"Jamma is a disappointed man at the moment," he said. "It was a good bit of link up play between him and Steve Morison, it was a good run and he made the right decision, just the finish was poor.

"Four times out of five he scores that because he is a fantastic finisher. That didn't happen today but I've got no problem with that and hopefully he'll keep getting in those positions.

"The fact that we kept pouring forward and created chances was pleasing. Scott McDonald had a turn and shot which he is disappointed about, because he expects to test the 'keeper.

"The ball fell to Richard Chaplow just inside the box on his left foot, and his shooting from that sort of distance is first class, so he's disappointed as well not to have hit the target.

"We got into some good areas by the byline but crosses were hitting the first man – on another day, we've got quality players and they put those into the box."

39 thoughts on “Harris gutted for players after Millwall beaten by Leicester

• January 1, 2014 at 21:07

Before I get royally slagged off, I've had enough of listening to the same rubbish every week. Our team need a dock in wages for that performance. KJ may have lost his way with us, but he seems to be doing alright with Wolves. Plus 21 gd and 49 points. Yes please! I hoped lomas was the answer, but as someone put it well the other day, he was like a kiddie in a sweetshop, buying for fun, but with no plan and buying tired reject players and a midget forward who's goals per game tally has done nothing for us really so far. If lomas was still in charge, he would have been slated for what's happened today.
    Our players, both signed and loaned, should be f#@#$@g ashamed of themselves at the position we are in today. 1 point above relegation zone. I can't understand this blind faith in our old gaurd and new non geling team members by the management. Get some of the youth team in and if nothing else, you will see player's with pride and passion and commitment. They may not win every game, but I fancy Pavey scoring more goals on his own than all our pathetic strike force put together have mustered so far. What have we got to lose? Come on Bomber, you coached them, give them a go!
    Rant over! COYL!

• January 2, 2014 at 00:19

SO YOU ALREADY KNOW YOUR GUNNA GET SLAGGED OF ...I'AM PLEASED 2 HEAR IT..

• January 1, 2014 at 21:40

Come on lets not kid ourselves, Leicester are a top team with quality players and their transition to the premier league wont be hard. What did we expect with our current squad seeming disinterested at times and lacking passion.

Despite the fact we lost it is evident that the squad has improved since the Lomas era. Just look at the stats and you'll see.

Ultimately it is the boards fault for being so naïve and tight with their money. All they needed to do was invest in a manager with championship experience or at least a prospect from league 1and we wouldn't be in this mess. If I recall, the first game of the season against Yeovil we had over 12,000 fans at the den. A game which we should of won. Now maybe if we did, the support would have continued at a high.

We seem to get reminded how important it is for Berylson to get the seats filled, yet they do nothing to inspire the fans. Just short-change them.

• January 1, 2014 at 21:47

@Dazi: how can you claim that the board are tight when they gave lomas the most money known to a Millwall manager. Yes they were naive on their appointment, but tight, I don't think so.

The fact is that money was and still is being wasted by paying wages for the new players who aren't up for it - Hoyte, Connolly, Moussi amongst others.

The sooner we are rid of those players the better and then whoever replaces him will have some budget to wheel and deal or pay someone like warnock to do what he does best.

• January 1, 2014 at 21:56

@bonnie1272: So instead of paying more money for a Manager with championship pedigree, they go with the cheaper option; A man who is inept and lacking authority. - That right there is the definition of tight!

As for the players that is the boards fault again as they assigned a useless manager. As I say this could have all been avoided if they just put their hands in their pockets.

• January 1, 2014 at 22:26

@bonnie1272: bonn happy new yr mate
        picking up on lomas having the most money comment not avin a dig, lomas signed 11 or 12 players either on loan or permanent, but all the perms were freebies. I would say he got the biggest player wage budget but definately not transfer budget. I'd put money on it that the only reason he got a bigger wage budget was because he had such a small transfer budget he put both budgets together in order to get some half decent free transfers in as well as using the loan market. Lets not forget KJ was given a decent budget last jan (regardless what he brought in and what happened) so the board was always going to at least match it in the summer but, dazi has a point about the board being tight although I dont think they're nieve more they think we fans are neive. But after watching 5 or so chairmen at our club what difference is there between them ? Cause I can't see too much, we always get told to turn up if you want decent signings and any chance of sustaining championship football and we need to behave cause we fans are costing the club too much in fines. We've been told this for yrs, we never take a gamble either with money in the transfer market or on a big name manager or both. Hand on heart bonn can you seriously see one of the experianced out of work managers with half decent pedigree being offered the job ? Cause again, I cant.
        same old wall

• January 1, 2014 at 23:33

@lukesmithmfc: firstly to Dazi - as is so often our board do take punts as opposed to an experienced manager and I agree with you that we will take another punt with whomever they appoint. I am also of the opinion that they never appoint decent managers although some do turn out ok(ish). But then whoever they appoint is a gamble. After all who knows how good a Millwall manager will be until he gets tried out.

With regards to budget, our record signing is still Goddard in the 80's. So with a paltry home gate that averages 9000, where does the money come from?

If a manager decides he wants quantity over quality you get the Lomas effect and all of those players he has bought / signed have to be paid, that alone adds up to millions over the course of a year.

Another manager (KJ) for example may be willing to use that budget to sign a couple of quality player ie woods.

Therefore IMO whomever the manager gets a choice transfer kitty or wage budget and it is down to them to use it how they see fit.

The pit isn't bottomless and JB can only be commended for his investment in our club.

Personally I would like to see warnock, holloway or Clarke get the job. All
          Of these will cost though and I am in total agreement that we will not appoint either.

So then we are left with all of the other applicants of which I am in no doubt that the board will take a cheap option.

But I still don't think they are necessarily tight, it's just called running a business sensibly within its financial constraints.

We have in the past run our club into administration, something I hope this board will not do. So where do we stop?

Dazi / Luke, who would you like to see and more importantly, who do you actually think will come to us?

Latest fav is Dave jones, has experience, cheaper than the above mentioned, but not my cup of tea at all.

I hope I have answered your comments and I love the debate and may I wish you both and your families a happy new year as well.

• January 2, 2014 at 00:33

@bonnie1272: When you say it like that Bonnie I have to agree. I understand they're running a business, but any successful business person will tell you, you have to take risks now and again. Saying that their risk was probably investing in Millwall and now they're regretting it ha.

Nah but on a serious note as I said previously when the season started over 12,000 Millwall fans attended and that is due to the fact they were being optimistic and hoping for a change, a new era. Only to be presented with a below average performance from the Millwall squad. Now if the board had invested in a decent manager with championship experience we should have won that game. Then the fans faith would have continued thus keeping the gates at a high number. But its not just that which is the problem, I fail to see Millwall offer incentives for the fans to watch them, Not everyone can afford their ticket prices, nor would they want to go out of their way to when the team plays absolute s****

I believe in overall quality rather than quantity. The manager could have signed 2-3 new players which would have been easier to implement to the current squad rather than a pick and mix like Lomas so much preferred week in, week out. I've lost count how many times I heard the phrase "the team needs to gel" what a load of c**p

As for JB I appreciate what he has done for the club, but even Aldo said what he has invested is a mere drop in the ocean to how much he's worth.

At first I said I would like to see Holloway manage us, but my opinion has swayed to Eddie Howe as I think he could work wonders for Millwall, given the chance. But surely that's not feasible for the likes of Millwall. Don't get me wrong I would still happily have Holloway that's if he would come to us.

Have a happy new year also 🙂

• January 1, 2014 at 22:11

It's the same old story after every game ,controversial decisions, lack of clinical finishing, etc. Are we still going to be churning out these excuses after the final game of the season when we have been relegated? The truth is that this squad isn't good enough to keep us in the Championship and whoever is appointed the new manager it is too late to turn the season round unless he brings a magic wand with him and suddenly turns some of the players into supermen!!!

• January 2, 2014 at 13:23

@denslions:
      ANYBODY WHO THINKS WE PLAYED WELL, AND WERE UNLUCKY,
      MUST HAVE BEEN WATCHING A DIFFERENT GAME FROM WHERE
      WE WERE ON THE B.K. [ UPPER ].............
      THE DEFENCE WERE HORRIED, THAT BECAUSE WE HAVE STARTED
      TO PLAY THE SAME SORT OF TEAM THAT STEVE LOMAS PLAYED, AND
      THE SAME METHOD !!!!!
      WE CANNOT BLAME DANNY SHITTU THIS TIME........
      [ SO ALL YOU, " BRING D.S. DOWN BRIGADE " WILL HAVE TO FIND
      SOMEBODY ELSE TO BLAME, NOW !!!! ]
      FOR ME..................I GIVE 100% SUPPORT TO ANYBODY WHO PUTS
      ON A MILLWALL SHIRT [ AND TRIES.... ]
      BE IT DANNY SHITTU OR " OLE FATHER THYME " ................
      NOW LET'S ALL GO DOWN TO ROOTS HALL [ SOUTHEND UTD ],
      AND GIVE OUR USUAL MILLWALL ROAR OF NOISY SUPPORT.......
      ON SATURDAY AND MAYBE, JUST MAYBE AGAIN, [ WITH SOME GOOD
      LUCKY DRAWS FROM THE HAT ] WE CAN REACH WEMBLEY YET AGAIN!!!!!

" NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN ..............BITING BACK !!!!

• January 1, 2014 at 23:14

Forget the polls on who we want to see as manager.... Which big name would want to manage us? The team aint exactly putting bus in the shop window. Again, NH was geeing the team up from the side lines but the players never responded to him. If he can't get em going, I can only see league 1 looming ??? Those players need to start earning their wages and quick or get lost. Notice we weren't singing, we got our Millwall back today, cos we aint, not yet!!

• January 1, 2014 at 23:59

Ian Holloway or Neil Warnock WILL get the job and both know Marc Bircham well, so I'd say there's a decent chance that he'll come in as assistant manager (which explains why he was at The Den today), with Bomber and Fitz reverting to their previous roles.
    Hopefully a deal will be done before the Southend game, enabling them to watch that one from the stands and then hit the ground running at the start of next week.
    They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but both of them have stacks of experience, won't stand for any nonsense and will have as good a chance as anyone of hauling us out of the brown smelly stuff!!!

• January 2, 2014 at 00:13

@Lonz: I wish I had your optimism. But I can't see either on the wages lomas was on and I don't think the board will push the boat out financially.

• January 2, 2014 at 00:38

@bonnie1272: I think you may be in for a surprise! Relegation would be a massive blow financially and JB is astute enough to know he needs to do everything possible - without completely breaking the bank - to try and make sure it doesn't happen.
        Henry's move to Wolves has given the coffers a handy £275,000 boost so the new manager will also have some scope for a spot of wheeling and dealing in January - and both Holloway and Warnock have plenty of contacts. Who knows, they might even be able to find someone who can defend!!!!

• January 2, 2014 at 01:08

BOMBER IS SPOT ON..U COULD NOT TELL WHO WAS THE INFORM TEAM...IF LEICESTER IS A TOP TEAM U REALLY MUST BE JOKING..COS WE OUTPLAYED MORE SHOTS ON TARGET...i.e LEGAL ONE'S...THE ONLY SAD THING WAS EASTER'S EFFORT...ONLY DIFFERENCE IS WE AINT GOT A REF IN OUR BACK POCKET

• January 2, 2014 at 01:28

Thought we were poor to be honest, even though I agree we have been on the end of some f****** disgraceful refereeing decisions this season, we haven't done enough ourselves. Back 4 were awful today, Beevers has lost the plot from last season, couldn't pass wind and can't get off the floor to win enough headers. Midfield look dis jointed, and not all on the same level, and the strikers are just having a right nightmare lately. We need a motivator, someone who will get hold of the players and force them to step up. F*** knows who we will get, but I think we need someone with experience and someone who is well respected within the footballing circle otherwise this bunch of 2 bob c**** will be playing in league 1 next season. Love Berylson for what he's done for Millwall, too many people are either too young (immature), or just have short memories when it comes to realising what he has done for us. But now he has to really back up what he has said & done over the years by getting this appointment right. This club couldn't afford relegation, without going into it, we'd be royally f*****.

• January 2, 2014 at 09:15

@82wall: I don't think the likes of McD, Chaplow or Bailey will hang around for div 1add to that the impending departure of Forde, Trotter,Morison, Feeney, Keogh and possibly Lowry and Martin that leaves us with Bywater, Dunne, Beevers, Shittu, Robinson, Malone, Smith. Abdou, Wright,Woolford, Marquis, so it looks like we have an established div 1 team already.

• January 2, 2014 at 16:22

@Sealion: can't remember how long they signed for but I'd expect us to hold them to their contracts if we did go down.

• January 2, 2014 at 17:56

@82wall: I would have thought they would have some kind of release clause in the event of relegation, this seems to be pretty common these days.

• January 2, 2014 at 09:28

Avoiding relegation has to be our only aim for the remainder of the season. Like many pre season I really thought we had a decent squad and could/would be comfortably mid table. How foolish I feel now.

As poor as our defence currently is it's essentially the same as last season when we didn't concede a bucket load. We must be realistic that we are not going to see JB spend loads of money on quality signings.

Any money IMO needs to be spend on getting a decent manager who won't take any s*** from some of the lazy disruptive players at the club. A man who gets us back to basics so we don't let in 3+ goals every other game, just look at the league table GD could well be decisive at the end of the season.

If the board again go for the cheap no experience option then it will be luck more than anything if we stay up. Should we go down then attendances will be even lower (how depressing is that given it's already a sea of blue seats) and a mass clear out will be inevitable but at least some of the youth can be given a chance.

So for me Warnock should get the job. We will know soon enough if the board have given up on championship status. Remember we may be s*** but there are 3 worse at least in this division.

• January 2, 2014 at 09:45

Lomas was given 20+ games to prove how useless he was & there are people on here slagging off Bomber after 2 games - unbelievable. We all know our situation and we need, as a club, that includes us fans too, to dig in & support each and everyone associated with the club because we all want the same thing.

• January 2, 2014 at 09:48

Jeez Lomas goes and then two games later people are already slating the team before a new man takes over. I'm beginning to think we have really unrealistic standards at the moment.

Yes we lost yesterday but the fact remains we were undone by poor refereeing, two goals should not have stood - simple as. The challenge by Hammond on Jimmy, if that was Dunne it would have been a straight red. The low shot that then looped up, everyone in the ground saw it should have been a corner but no it was a goal kick. Even the fourth official decided to get in on the act with his slapstick substitution. The sooner we accept that we are a training ground for referees "Today you've got Millwall v Leicester we want to see how you cope with an irate crowd oh and don't forget you have to wind them up first" Conspiracy theory I don't think so.

Yesterday we gave the league leaders a match, we didn't win as explained, but if Easter had scored I think we would have won the game despite Coco the referee and the three stooges. I don't think fans realise the damage Lomas did, at the moment Beevers, for example, looks a shadow of the player he was last year but I think he will become a classy centre back again. Confidence is a major thing in football and once we get ours back we will be a force in the division again. The first task is to get that confidence back and then get rid of the'candy' that Lomas burdened us with and get a few more 'relevant'players in to boost the team and steady the ship.

By the way don't forget our secret weapon..... the 12th man so none of this "I'm not going back til Lomas has gone" Let's get behind the team because that is the Millwall way and after 41 years supporting them I should know.

I'm off to Southend next but I'll see you all at the Ipswich game to say hello to our next manager.

By the way there are some very interesting names who are inteested in our vacancy one of whom would go very well with Millwall

• January 2, 2014 at 11:26

@Vinny Shell: Well said Vin.. There is a need for more realism and patience - fortunes in football can change quickly - it is easy to be negative when things aren't going well (that is a modern disease in life - the Twiiter generation - immediate gratification) - it is a true test to be positive and constructive when things aren't at their best

• January 2, 2014 at 10:04

We need a reality check, the biggest transfer fee paid by us was for Goddard whenever that was, I think it was 800K since then we have sold players for millions and yet still limp along both financially and on the pitch.
    The fan base inches continued to decline due to local demographics and the false dawns, as others have said on here we rely on has beens, never was's and the odd gem.

Truth is without significant investment in both the playing and managerial side then this is as good as it gets unless the club find the next Brian Clough as manager and the current crop of youngsters can do the business.

Mr Berylson has a choice to make now, does he invest at the level needed and keep us in the division or does he as was done before have a 'managed relegation' like before.

We will know if the second option has be chosen once we know who the next manager will be.

We had 12K against Yeovil and had we got a good start, we would have built on that.

We were outsmarted by Leicester (Leicester not Barcelona !) on our own turf, it just ain't good enough, Bomber has to talk it all up but he knows the truth that our best 11 would be at best squad players at this level.

We have got what we deserve, over to you JB?

• January 2, 2014 at 11:08

Well said @wongo:
      I keep saying to myself, if teams like Swansea, Cardiff, Reading, Blackpool, Wigan, Burnley etc can all get promotion to the Premiership, why can't we.
      IMO, it's all about taking a gamble.
      You bring in a decent manager, then back that man and allow him to buy what he needs.
      In hindsight, Lomas was a very cheap gamble which didn't pay off and I think it will cost us with relegation this year. Our current crop of over paid so called players don't have the heart or commitment to get us out of this mess. Bad times ahead.

• January 2, 2014 at 10:26

If Bircham does return to us, he will need to have a DOF above him and Warnock would be ideal for that type of role both short and long term. Warnock for me, either as interim manager or DOF. still think Holloway would be a bad decision as he does not have the funds he would need to get a response.

• January 2, 2014 at 10:49

According to Daily Mirror Millwall are in talks with......wait for it, Keith Curle for the post of manager! If true (which I doubt) then we might as well look forward to div 2 let alone div 1 the former Wimbledon player was sacked from Notts County after less than a year in the post of manager after a run of poor results. What are the board doing? They have to come up with a respected manager with ambition and experiance of the championship and they have to do it quickly. We do not want another Micky Mouse manager.

• January 2, 2014 at 10:52

@Peckhamlad: I think Micky Mouse would do a good job, don't forget he has been in the business a long time!

• January 2, 2014 at 13:12

@Peckhamlad: The Daily Mirror said we were talking to Dave Jones earlier in the week so I don't think we should take too much notice of them.

• January 2, 2014 at 11:08

If Micky was manager he could play the animal team from Bednobs and Broomsticks team? Any things better than Watching Dunne who would be well suited to div 2!

• January 2, 2014 at 11:17

Odds on ian holloway reducing every hour . Started today at 5:1, now in to 3:1 with Stan James but Dave Jones now at 2:1 with bet victor. I do hope they are wrong about Dave Jones , not for Millwall IMHO. #COYL

• January 2, 2014 at 11:21

@Surrey Lion: Anyone but Jones or Curle for the clubs sake

• January 2, 2014 at 12:43

I see the headline in the BBC's millwall news page is about that p**** who had a pop at the linesman yesterday.
    We all know how frustrating it is to see time and time again diabolical decisions go against us. I get as angry as most of us obviously do,but I get even more angry at p***** like him who continue to tarnish our clubs image. We already have our backs against the wall as regards to staying in this division. Lets not give the club anymore unwanted distractions off the pitch defending these scum bags who cannot grow up and let them back whole-heartedly whoever they decide to appoint as the new boss.

• January 2, 2014 at 13:15

@SE11 Lion: I agree mate, he should be there to watch a game of football, not act like a mindless thug. I see an article on it and the comments were just slating Millwall fans as whole which is not right.

• January 2, 2014 at 14:00

@SE11 Lion: no reason to think the club will defend him. I'm sure they will ban him. May as well sack the stewards as well, they're an absolute joke and do f*** all, bit like half the squad.

• January 2, 2014 at 14:27

the way in which the manager's post is being handled is contributing to the malaise at the club - nobody trusts what is happening - why do we always give the impression that we don't have a plan - if the Jones and Curle situation is true we should be alarmed - if managers with their track record apply then they should be told, thanks, but no there is no interview - end of story - thus it gets dragged out and everyone loses a bit of hope and it creates a sense of desperation - we need calm heads who know their job - AA ????? - yes as an example is the timing of the Hoyte announcement; it could not be more inappropriate -

the team for Southend will be interesting - I feel Chaplow and Bailey need a rest after just coming back or we will risk injury again and the defence has to be shaken up again - if Hoyte doesn't get a chance then why bother with him - we are on a hiding to nothing there - if we play a strong squad and win (just) because it will be just; then that will be expected. If we try new players and lose, it further undermines morale - if we play a strong squad and lose, then its over to the new guy.

• January 3, 2014 at 06:50

@timchimes:
      We could do a lot worse than Jones, did a decent job at Cardiff and has experience, weather or not he would want to come to us is another matter, we are not the most attractive club. We are Millwall after all. Also the hoyte signing has been announced because they can finally complete the paperwork now that it's January, the deal was done when we signed him on loan.

• January 2, 2014 at 19:05

hard luck bomber,and scott welcome to the s*** world of f.a,crap officials,

• January 2, 2014 at 19:14

pleased to see peter Garston well again.happy new year pete.