Business as usual for Lomas as Millwall travel to Watford

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

STEVE Lomas says he cannot afford to lose any sleep over his job security with a vital match against Watford right around the corner.

Lomas has spoken to chairman John Berylson in the wake of the Lions' 2-0 home defeat to Middlesbrough last weekend, a result which prompted a furious backlash from fans.

But the Northern Irishman is not fretting about the pressure mounting on him and insists he is fully focused on the Boxing Day clash at Vicarage Road.

"I can't worry about my job," he said. "I can only do what I can do, which is be professional, prepare the team to the best of my ability and carry on until something changes.

"That's for other people to decide. I have spoken to the chairman a couple of times since the weekend and will do so again today. I understand the fans are frustrated – 100 percent – because there is nobody more frustrated than me."

Some supporters have suggested that Lomas has lost the confidence of his players, but the Millwall boss said:  "It's easy to say that. That's the one that always comes up when you lose.

"We've got to stick together as a group and bounce back against Watford."

Lomas is still fuming about the Lions' display against Boro – a performance he believes was totally out of character with their recent form at The Den.

"Everybody was disappointed on Saturday and I didn't see that result coming given we had been decent at home," he said.

"We were the polar opposite of what we had been during our seven-game unbeaten run. We didn't get in their faces or make it difficult for them to play and we weren't progressive going forward.

"We were just very laboured. The conditions weren't ideal but it was the same for them and we didn't adapt to it. The performance was not of an acceptable standard.

"We knew that somewhere down the line that run would come to an end, but the manner of it was very tepid. That hasn't been us at home – we had been getting bodies forward and creating chances.

"We have got to respond at Watford. The only way to do that is by putting in a much better performance. There's nothing else to say really."

47 thoughts on “Business as usual for Lomas as Millwall travel to Watford

• December 24, 2013 at 16:37

what a tit! same old same old, boring diatribes all the time. WE DON"T WANT YOU AT OUR CLUB!

• December 24, 2013 at 16:42

Unfortunately Steve Lomas your "best of my ability" is simply not good enough. Us shiping in over 40 goals is relegation form, and not to mention damn right embarrassing. Time to do the honourable thing and quit! Plus would give us a nice early xmas present!!!

• December 24, 2013 at 16:55

Probably rubbing his hands for the pay out. The players were not in the oppositions faces because they simply do not wanna play for the manager. New man in and its a different story. Lomas knows he is on borrowed time. Just hope santa gives us the gift of no more Lomas

• December 24, 2013 at 17:03

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but it was our 1st game without Waghorn looks like he may be missed more than we thought.

• December 24, 2013 at 17:33

With JB not coming out publicly with the infamous vote of confidence , I wonder if his job is in any real danger at the moment. I think if SL is in charge next month , he'll finish the season...............

• December 24, 2013 at 18:51

Honestly thought saturday would have seen him gone but, as he hasn't, I can't see it happening until the Watford, Doncaster & Leicester games have all been played. New year, new manager, new hope of staying up! If it happens sooner I would take that though. Happy Christmas.

• December 24, 2013 at 18:57

Best of luck for the Xmas/New Year period Steve, bit of spirit and passion from the players, maybe a few points, see where we are at the beginning of January and take it from there.

• December 24, 2013 at 19:11

"Some supporters have suggested that Lomas has lost the confidence of his players, but the Millwall boss said: "It's easy to say that. That's the one that always comes up when you lose"

FFS what a load of crap you speak SL, what do you really know about football fans. They don't always say this when a team lose. When they/we see the players perform with no passion, no movement, no ideas, giving poor goals away every game, worst defensive record in the football league, worst possession rate in the football league as we have near on since the season started that's when they/we start saying that the manager has lost the dressing room.
    I wish the team luck cause with a plank in charge they are going to need it.

• December 24, 2013 at 19:15

We keep hearing about the unbeaten run. It was nice but not as convincing as it is being made out. Our good play seems to come in spurts of 15-20 minutes, surrounded by collapses the England cricket team would be in awe of. I think against QPR our equaliser was due to the hoops taking their eye off the ball because of what was going on between wobble chops and the crowd. If the Burnley game had gone on another 5 minutes the run would have been over then probably. I don't care if we start performing due to luck, genius or divine intervention, but i just hope we do. I would like it to happen with Lomas in charge just so that instability doesn't return to our club, but i'm not optomistic. It would just be nice if the players and management would put their differences to one side for the sake of the fans. If you don't like us or our club at least it would make you a more attractive prospect to a potential suitor, and you could f*** off and let us get on with what's important to us. Millwall Football Club.

• December 24, 2013 at 19:52

The January transfer window is an opportunity to try and ship-out some of the deadwood, sell a couple, buy a couple and bring in one or two on loan. Does JB still trust Lomas' judgement? If not he could be forced to act.

• December 25, 2013 at 10:08

@Lonz: I think a few loanees head off as well, the likes of Hoyte, Connolly shouldbe history.

• December 24, 2013 at 21:09

Whilst we live in the PR age, I can't remember any of the great Millwall managers (Graham, Doherty) prattling on like this.

They let there teams on the pitch do the talking!

Cab for mr lomas?

• December 24, 2013 at 22:06

The MIllwall board have just lost ideas. Many fans want Lomas out and as the FANS are the base of this football club, the board need to listen to us. Shipping in 42 goals in half the season is unacceptable and quite frankly shocking and the board should act in a sensible way that benefits the club and the fans for the future by sacking Lomas before it is too late.

• December 24, 2013 at 22:09

There is one other thing to say Lomas.

I resign!

• December 24, 2013 at 23:54

Come on Lomas show these ucnts what your made of , and kick these players so hard up the backside they feel it, and let them know they are not only letting you down,but they are taking the p i s s out of the fans as well.
    Mr lomas you have some fault's but the player's have more,as they are not performing as they should.
    In my support for you Mr Lomas i have taken a lot of stick from other millwall supporters,now go and give those player's that stick.WHY? because they are C R A P. They are drawing wages they dont deserve.
    So give them stick and more stick untill they understand how lucky they are.
    Now here is a little story for them to reflect on.
    A pal of mine who has not been to the den for a year or so told me he has been saving for his daughter's 21st and as he has been out of work every penny he has been putting away for her big day,so when the price was reduced for the middlsboro game he took his two sons to the game,and that excuse for a football team let him down,this is a man who has been to millwall for years,but due to redundency and saving for his daughters 21st he has had to hold back on what he can spend.
    Now do your players have to worry about what they have to spend.THE answer is NO
    n
    Now all you Lomas haters that want to di g me out for defending him im ready for you.
    YES he has his faults but understand this its not all his fault.
    those so called fans that have dug him out from the word go you are to blame.
    the so called professional players they are to blame.
    Mr lomas you are to blame.
    the only people that are not to blame are the fans who still pay their money,and still support millwall through thick and thin,like my pal who has certain priorities,but still supports when he can.
    So player's, lomas, board,and fans lets pull together and get it right,but to the player,s i say its up to you to show more passion,and do it on the pitch and if you cant do it for lomas do it for the fans as we pay your wage's.

• December 25, 2013 at 09:00

@jim1222: merry Christmas Jim and I hope you mates luck turns sooner rather than later.

• December 25, 2013 at 09:46

@jim1222: I can see where you are coming from Jim but for me the tactics are very poor the whole set up of the team is all wrong, I agree these are seasoned championship pro's and should be doing better. If.....the team had wanted to give it 100 percent last week they would have , why where they so lack lustre from the KO. I am afraid I am now blaming the manager, he has to go, whoever comes in next needs to know we have a bunch of rotten apples amongst this lot and they will need some serious sorting out. It just looks like he's not the man to do it.

Blimey if Hardord couldn't sort them out who can, Bombers not the answer either, it could ruin him when all the usuall melts get on his back, and believe me they will.

• December 25, 2013 at 10:27

@Lincolnshire Lion: I agree with you Lincoln thats why i have said lomas is to blame as well,but to me the players have to understand,that as professional,s they have to be above any personal issues and at least do the basic,correctly .just look at the goals against,70% are down to rank bad defending at a basic level,failing to jump and head the ball from set pieces failing to close opposition down around the box,full backs failing to show the winger the outside and allowing him to cut inside far to easily,so yes lomas may have his tactics wrong,but if these players got their basics right we would be half way up the league at least.
        Also lomas cant be blamed for these mistakes.any have a.MERRY CHRISTMAS and lets hope we have a good new year.

• December 25, 2013 at 10:12

@jim1222: to true Jim, the fault never lays at the doorstep of a single individual, there is a pox on the club and there needs to be some strong medicine applied to cure it. Players, management and directors should all be reveiwing how they have let rhis build up over the last 2-3 seasons.

• December 25, 2013 at 10:52

@glyngo:thats why we have got to pull together glyngo,its not worth thinking who will take over if and when lomas goes .who will want to manage us,it will take some one with so big an ego that he would take the challange and to be honest i can name a few with the ego,but not the ability to do the job.
        happy xmas
        jim

• December 25, 2013 at 00:57

He has lost the dressing room jim they dont want to play for him or they cant play for him due to his lack of footballing brain, he is useless jim its clear for all to see, You say us "c****" were on him from day one was that the day yeovil beat us? Jim have you ever considered why the players arent performing and why the fans want him gone and why ambler has said the recent result was unacceptable. Is it all just us c**** (your words) that are to blame and nothing to do with lomas. Jim i go every home game and sing my heart out and support my team. To blame the fans for the mess we are in is ridiculous.

• December 25, 2013 at 09:02

@Eightieswall: I agree eighties.

Not quite sure what more I can do except turn up week in week out praying for a team to support.

• December 25, 2013 at 10:43

@Eightieswall: eighties the c**** bit was meant for the players and not the fans im sorry if its come across that way.and please read my post again i did say lomas is at fault.as for the yeovil game we did not deserve to win, but we did not deserve to lose it either,the goal scorer should have been closed down,henry should have scored with a long range shot at an open goal,also look at henry's body language during the game no one can convince me he did not know he was going to leave millwall.
      When i said day one i meant the day he signed as manager the west ham vermin bit started immediatly and not after the yeovil game.
      Again i appologise for the c****bit as it was honestly directed at the players,and it was bad writing on my part,
      any way happy xmas and pray for a better new year.

• December 25, 2013 at 01:33

I watched the Middlesbrough game on Sky at the pub at the end of my street, the sort of place my dad would have called a 'dive'. I'm glad I was the only person watching.
    If you want to see which managers are available to replace Lomas (should he go), see http://www.leaguemanagers.com/ and look at the 'Available Managers' drop-down list.
    It has some 'interesting' names, including Dennis Wise.
    More probable, would be Mick Harford as caretaker. Neil Harris has yet to manage a team at any level, even if he is the choice of many fans and the bookies.

• December 25, 2013 at 10:16

@SE14 Exile: listen to the football league radio podcast from two weeks ago, Warnock said he wants a temporary position next with the purpose of stabilising a club on the slide whilst a new long term successor is found. Sounds almost perfect to me. Love him or hate hime he could actually keep us up and let the players know what they are!

• December 26, 2013 at 10:42

Just because there are a lot of names on the available managers list it doesn't necessarily follow that the known named ones would want to come here. That is how we ended up with Lomas because we cannot afford a decent manager

• December 25, 2013 at 09:35

Merry christmas one and all
    just nicking a crafty couple mins.
    couple days ago I said I wanted us to lose so lomas gets the boot and got a bit of stick for it, look guys please dont mistake me for soneone who turns up now and then just so he can come on here to justify his opinion. I care for my club as much as I do for me kids cause its part of my family.
    Ive had a day or two to think and of course I dont want us to lose with as bad a performance as saturdays. I want us to spank watford as theyre due one from us and were due a win.
    Mr lomas you have made a number of signings and not used them at the same time due to injuries or suspension now I think its high time you do, the old squad are not up to it so lets see what your players can do after all they are picking up more money than most of the old lot. Time to dig in stop talking and stamp your authority on this team, you took the job so now prove you still deserve to be here.
    good luck at watford bring home the 3 points and start moving up the table.
    COYL MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• December 25, 2013 at 10:57

@lukesmithmfc: luke i like your post its what i have tried to say in my post, but you put it much better in this post than i did.

• December 25, 2013 at 13:54

@jim1222: cheers jim your post aint bad mate.
        enjoy your dinner mate and av a glass on me

• December 25, 2013 at 11:58

@lukesmithmfc: you have proved your commitment many times on this website Luke, I reckon like many other true fans, have finally reached your tolerance levels. I feel the same mate, but let's all get behind the boys and push for that win regardless of the fate of SL. Merry Xmas.

• December 25, 2013 at 14:00

@glyngo: top man glyn thats exactly how I feel mate
        tolerance now thats a word along with patients but I'avin a cracking day so will not go down that rd until at least 3.30pm tomorrow.
        Dont burn the turkey and enjoy a little tipple.

• December 25, 2013 at 23:47

@lukesmithmfc:
      Well said Luke. I know it's frustration all round but like you I will be hoping we turn Watford over. Merry Xmas. COYL. F em all.

• December 25, 2013 at 11:51

Lets tear Watford A new one and make dent in our goal difference tomorrow. COYL...

• December 25, 2013 at 13:22

Merry Christmas to all the Millwall team, staff and supporters, give us a great win tomorrow, then go eat your pud! (but not too much).

• December 25, 2013 at 18:20

Boycotted the Leicester game JB will soon get the message and sack SL 1 game as big as this will get JB attention Big Time
    1 voice for Wall OURS

• December 25, 2013 at 18:27

Boycott the Leicester game that's all it take to grab JB attention and sack SL
    1 voice for Wall OURS

• December 25, 2013 at 21:59

Go, go now Lomas you are destroying us.

• December 25, 2013 at 22:19

"Arch Stanton" - wasn't that the name on the grave next to the one with the gold in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?

Anyhow trivia aside .... I want points against Watford, but apart from our away form, results against them we seldom do well over Christmas period. Maybe this year they will get a new pride (being Lions of course) and not only work hard and as a unit but use their heads too. Watford have a threat in Deeney who would prob be best man marked. Not been impressed with Feeney/Abdou to be honest and they need replacing as on Saturday if we can.

• December 26, 2013 at 06:55

Lomas out..... Say no more forget all the analysis we going round in circles.... Boycott the next home games until he's gone...

Luke I was accused of wanting us to loose also, I would rather loose 2 now so we can get better manager in and win an extra 5 to keep us up....

For someone to question my support for club is ridiculous... I take my kids every Saturday home game, with my six year old son doing my nut in with "are we going to win" "can we beat chelsea" "dad dad dad can I have hot dog dad dad I need a toilet" haha I love it, I have not told him yet but he's going to be mascot for home game against Watford because he will badger me every week "dad I'm a mascot this week"

But if we must loose let it be now to get rid of Lomas, because let have it right he's not going to improve. And a lucky win will keep him in the job until after window.

• December 26, 2013 at 07:00

P.s sorry to be a grinch the last time we played Watford on a Boxing Day was at the old Den I was there, we lost 4-0 and David James was in goal for them, even the wall fans where singing 4 nil 4 nil 4 nil.

I want 3 points but if we play crap he's still got to go

• December 26, 2013 at 19:05

@JONO: no need to be sorry! So 4-0 it was again and it led to what most know was inevitable. Late Xmas present for the wall fans.

• December 27, 2013 at 07:45

WE WANT OUR MILLWALL BACK,
    WE WANT OUR MILLWALL BACK,
    IS WHAT WE SANG, AT WATFORD,
    FROM LOMAS.....................
    NOW, LETS HAVE A PROPER TEAM MANAGER APPOINTED !!!
    AND THEN PLAY SOME REAL - FIGHTERS ON THE FIELD............
    THATS THE MILLWALL WE ALL WANT !!!!!
    WE DON'T NEED TOP QUALITY PLAYERS,
    JUST SOME REAL - FOOTBALL FIGHTERS.

" NO ONE LIKES US , WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN