Millwall chiefs to meet with FA to discuss crowd disorder

© Edmund Boyden

© Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL chiefs have been summoned to Wembley by the Football Association to discuss crowd disorder at the club's matches.

The Lions have been cited for a number of incidents over the past 12 months, stretching back to bottle-throwing against Aston Villa in January, and have been asked to attend a meeting at FA headquarters next week.

The club was reported to the game's governing body in September after former Derby County manager Nigel Clough was pushed by a fan during a home game.

Arrests at The Den are currently at a ten-year low but incidents at away games - notably when Bournemouth's Steve Cook was struck by a coin at Dean Court in October - have also been "totted up."

The meeting is not linked to allegations made by Nottingham Forest's Nathanial Chalobah, who claimed last week that he was racially abused by Millwall fans, nor the well-documented violence that occurred at Wembley in April.

Chief executive Andy Ambler confirmed: "We talk to the FA all the time, so I would not say that this is uncommon because they have the right to bring any club in, but we haven't been called for quite a long time.

"It is the result of a combination of offences, mainly missile-throwing, and the FA want to talk to us about the situation. There is a totting up process and every incident gets noted."

NewsAtDen understands that the FA is unlikely to take any disciplinary action but they will warn the club that sanctions may be handed out in the future if missile-throwing continues.

Comments

1. It's good to hear we as a club are at a ten-year low but so are attendances.... what are you doing about that Ambler??

Ok it's not great and fans do sometimes cross the line with the "bottlegate" or "coingate" incidents, but we are some of the most passionate fans going, it's unfortunate some people cross the line and throw s**t at players... but I remember a certain Lewis Grabban goading fans, I even think the anoraks would have thrown their prawn sandwich's at him!!

13 likes

• Got no complaints myself. You do things that drag Millwall into the mire, the FA have to address it. href="#comment-23894">Bradders:

11 likes

• wall2wall says:

@Bradders:
      Throwing s*** at players . Now that would make me laugh.

2 likes

• @wall2wall: HaHa... I'd be happy to see another club get in the s**t for throwing it but if one of our own done it, I think it would make our reputation more toilet than it already is!

1 likes

• wall2wall says:

@Bradders:
          Dont think our reputation could be any worse.
          On a serious note I dont believe that you have to throw things to make a place intimidating and it just hurts the club.
          The second leg against Huddersfield is a great example. Dogs abuse for the opposition and our wall of noise frightened the life out of them and our club came out with no case to answer to the authorities.
          Best 12th man in the football world when he shows up.

11 likes

• @wall2wall: Which isn't often now the thought police and behaviour stazi have almost completed their ethnic cleansing of our support.

8 likes

• Micky Lions says:

@wall2wall: No doubt that we do attract plenty of p***** who like to show off in front of their mates - no excuse for it when it keeps on damaging our club so much. But I'm not sure what else we can do away from home - surely its ultimately the responsibility of the home club to ensure security at grounds?

4 likes

• TheBermondseyBomber says:

@Bradders: Great point there about Grabban - has he been called in for a chat about that?! Doubt it!

5 likes

• tallchap18 says:

Bradders - sorry to have to pick you on a point of logic but the reason the gates are down are because of our reputation so we simply can't attract more fans...the board can do little about that if fans keep getting us in the papers for the wrong reason. That said if half the plastic fans that seem to always get a ticket for the big we buy games were to come along we would have a full house every week....which means some idiot in my seat but I would live with having to turf them out every week if it meant more money and therefore better players for the club

2 likes

• @tallchap18: You might have a point, but there are so many clubs who publicly offer deals for tickets and their Commercial department seems busy with trying to bring revenue into the business.

Unfortunately not all fans live and work in and around the area, some have moved out of London completely like I have yet I go as much as I can... especially having to do a 120 mile roundtrip, does that make me a "plastic" fan if I can't attend every game??

I usually sit in the Barry Kitchener stand, but remember the 1st time I sat in the CBL lower with my missus (1st game she went to) and couldn't believe my ears when I heard a kid no older than 7/8 calling Dany N'Guessan a C**t and his Dad laughing! I'm happy to shout and swear at oppo's players all through the game to make their life a misery, but thought that was disgusting coming out of a little kids mouth whose balls clearly haven't dropped!!

2 likes

2. wall2wall says:

@ OldLes.
    Haven't heard from you in a while.
    I cant remember who we played at home but did your Grandson enjoy his first Millwall experience the other month?
    I do agree that football is now being targeted by the Police state which in my opinion must be always be resisted.

2 likes

• @wall2wall: I got moderated because the pretend journalists that run this board can't accept the teeniest bit of criticism. Bunch of weaklings and I have no doubt this comment will shortly be sucked up by their censorship vacuum cleaner and vanish.

6 likes

• @wall2wall: And yes thank you he had a good time. He has already has his first instruction that all match officials and stewards are w****** and the police are bully boy pigs. Also that the language he hears at the ground stays at the ground and doesn't go to his home, friends homes, the playground or school.

Also happy to say we have another on the way

3 likes

• wall2wall says:

@Old_Les:
        Congratulations Grandad.
        Regarding the stewards I think it's just like life you get decent people and crap people. I always have a good crack with a few down there who are very decent although I believe you sit in the Barry Kitchener and from my experience that stand is the most Stazi of the lot so they probbaly put all the less human types in there.

1 likes

3. DiggerWall says:

OLD LES Welcome back. ive had one or two run ins with aldo and staff recently .So i know were youre coming from.GOOD TO SEE YOU ARE IN TOP FORM. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

0 likes

4. We need to get rid of these wanna be gangsters who think their "hard" being a Millwall supporter!! I have supported Millwall for 55years and am sick and tired of these idiots who just keep ruining the good work people are doing at our club!! We were the first club to start work within the community but never get the praise for it because the press would rather concentrate on these mindless idiot so called Millwall supporters!! COYL

27 likes

• @leemark: You sir have hit the nail on the head. That's the trouble some of the fans want to live in the past and continue the mindless thug attitude, which obviously doesn't help the club move forward. Maybe those aged 17 and under who like to show off in fron of their friends should be accompanied by an adult. A responsible one at least.

9 likes

• @leemark: All club have a few fools in their support except Palace who have 100%. Millwall have a fan base that speaks it's mind and is (always has been) picked on by bully boy police and poisonous media who don't like it when they get a deserved smack back. I've been going to Millwall 60 years and never once had a problem home or away and with or without kids in tow (was sometimes 6 of them). Stop doing our support down and feeding the media myth we're knuckle dragging Neanderthals. Nothing wrong with any of the Millwall support (broadly speaking) and it makes me sick to hear any of our own doing it down.

10 likes

• @Old_Les: Les welcome back.
        Like you i have been coming to millwall for many years[my first match about 1951],as far as the west ham hatred bit is concerned i reall y cant remember any anti west ham bad attitude between clubs untill we started to play in the same league as the them and it was the hooligan element in both clubs that picked up on it and started the hatred we have now,which culminated in the terrible death of the young fan at new cross and ensured the hatred filled rivalry will alway's be there from now on.
        Infact it was palarse that were the main enemy
        Am i right or have i led a sheltered as a millwall fan.

5. wall2wall says:

@ Micky Lions.
    I believe the responsiblity is currently with the home club. I am sure that only we were charged when the Liverpool fans ripped up chairs and used them as missiles at the Den about 10 or maybe more years ago if memory serves me right.
    P.S. Some comments and yours is one doesn't have the automatic red reply button at the bottom .Is this a setting or option that people can place on it? Just confused. Cheers Micky.

6. @Old_Les
    I'm afraid you are in denial, yes it is a very smalll percentage of idiots, but none the less we could do without them!! Not all police are bully boy's, but I agree about the press. You see we are reaping what we sowed in the past and these few idiots keep dragging us back down, and yes as a Millwall supporter I am speaking my mind and saying it how it is!!!!

7 likes

• @leemark: You agree with me that it's a tiny percentage yet you tell me I'm I denial. That doesn't make much sense.

What have we sowed from the past? The fall out from a Panorama documentary that could have been about umpteen other clubs at a time when it was the thing to have punch ups at football. Not saying it was right or wrong it happened. What we are reaping is an unfair and poisonous backlash and attack against a club that is the last bastion of working class culture (only just given all the skinny jeaned man bag carrying happy clappy pansies we're becoming infested with).

About time some of our support ands the club itself starting banging the drum for all the huge positives there are about this club that have been there since the word dot. When I say "this club" in reality I mean the support because the support is this club - though some wish to deny it.

Good old working class values escalated the Wembley fiasco (didn't start it) where once again we were hammered by the media who couldn't be arsed to look for the root. Thankfully there is some justice left in British courts and many of the Millwall Martyrs were found innocent and walked free - as would a number of others had they followed their instinct for truth rather deluded legal advice.

That some people (on here and other boards) without evidence or knowledge called for punishments and the grassing of fellow Millwall supporters will forever be a shame and embarrassment for me. That's the sort of person I'd prefer not to be there.

8 likes

7. @Old_Les
    Im not refuring to the Panarama programme at all, and you don't have to be good old working class or conform to any lifestyle to support Millwall either, you just have to love Millwall and want the best for the club!!!!!!!! But Im glad to say that not all supporters have the same attitude as you, things change and we have to grow and build for the future and that means letting the past go, Millwall will still be here when we are gone and our Grandchildren will be the future supporters!! And don't get me wrong I was born and bread in New Cross and come from a working class family and am working class, but I don't see it as some kind of battle!!!!!

13 likes

• DiggerWall says:

@leemark: We come from a working class background . With working class morals and standards. Yes we have our fair share of fair weather lot who get p***** up and get out their prams.SO DO MOST OVER CLUBS! What gives me the hump is the press and others cant wait to make big issues over the slightest problem when it comes to our beloved MFC. THE MORE YOU AND OTHERS FEED OF PRESS AND READ IT AS TRUTH THE LONGER IT WILL CONTINUE. I LOVE MILLWALL AND I KNOW YOU DO OTHERWISE YOU WOULD NOT BE ON HERE. WE ARE MILLWALL AND WE ARE UNIQUE . ALWAYS WILL BE. WALL TILL I DIE!

0 likes

• @leemark: Where was it I said you referred to Panorama? Where did I say there was a working class battle or whatever you are suggesting? Where did I say you have to be working class to support Millwall? It's a shame not all supporters have the same attitude as me because if they did they'd support their club and it's supporters (aside from the miniscule number of idiots - yes that number you like to exaggerate) through thick and thin and unjust accusations - as I do.

Still waiting for you to explain how I'm in denial (your claim) about something you agree with me on.

2 likes

• DiggerWall says:

@leemark: ZZZZZZ GOING TO THE PUB GOODBYE !

3 likes

• DiggerWall says:

@leemark:PS SHOULD OF SAID I COME FROM A WORKING CLASS BACKGROUND. ALSO VERY PROUD TO HAVE DONE SO . NOW IM GOING DOWN THE PUB.

2 likes

• @DiggerWall: I think most Millwall fans come from a working class background and should be proud of it!! Don't get me wrong I would never grass on any of our fans.... but I think there is a line which shouldn't be crossed (which is crossed by the idiots and make our beautiful club look terrible)

The Media play a huge part in how we are portrayed and it is disgusting how they like to ridicule us for like Les says the miniscule things, but the Wembley punch ups wasn't minuscule as everyone just get's a bad impression of Millwall no matter what the media say (although made worse).... but there should have been a full blown investigation as to why this happened and who started this to get to the root cause!!

I love Millwall and always will, but nobody can really stick up for these mindless idiots (albeit a very small number of actual fans).

2 likes

8. Digger have one for me!! And goodnight Old_Les COYL.

9. Peckhamlad says:

Whenever Millwall attract a bigger than usual crowd e.g a cup match against premier opposition there always seem to be a group appearing that cause trouble. They are not regular supporters if supporters at all but come alomg and sour our club with their moronic presence. I can remember back in the mists of time at the old Den when we were playing in the cup there was some trouble and it turned out those responsible were actually Chelsea supporters, that was never substantiated of course.

2 likes

10. millwallbuilder says:

personally this is like bolting the door after the herd has fled.the laughable f,a were warned by club and police about both semi final kick offs and yes there was fighting at the other semi afterwards and after the cup final also.if you give fans more time to booze and participate in non legal practices what behaviour do they expect, we are not all gentlemen and they will never turn us into nodding dogs which is what they think.you have only got to look at the s*** they send us to referee and run the line. each home game.i feel like knocking on all there doors to ask for entry fee back after their representatives favour the away side more often than not.start jelly walking you spineless twats and it should be knows .f.a.leave our club alone you mugs and will always be mugs

6 likes

11. Firstly the f a should look at themselves. 2 semi finals. The final. Polish supporters throwing flares & fighting inside & outside of their ground & being fined by FIFA the list goes on. Shame on them.

7 likes

12. bonnie1272 says:

Respect existence or
    Expect resistance.

13. wall2wall says:

Can I remind everyone of our song and motto :
    No one likes us, we dont care.
    Seems plenty do though. You either believe the words your singing or dont bother singing it.
    I couldn't really give a t*** what the scummy media say about us. Just look at what they get up to. I am not giving any of my power away by taking anything they say to hesrt.
    No one likes us. We dont care.

3 likes

• @wall2wall: Spot on Wall, I couldn't give a s***... but it's a vicious circle which stops us from being an attractive club for fans (or people wanting to see a game of football) to come and see play on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening!

2 likes

• wall2wall says:

@Bradders:
        Dont think that we will ever be an attractive club for new fans.
        Our reputation takes care of that.

0 likes

• @wall2wall: That's exactly what I'm saying, but would be great to have some new fans down the den who get into the passionate spirit and pride of being a Wall fan!!

New fans generate more money, more money generates more capabilities and hopefully success down the line.

1 likes

• crossenoughtogrowl says:

@Bradders: Actually Gents I have to disagree with you on attracting new fans. I have a young lad working with me who was born and bred in Blackpool, he loves his football and asked if he could along to a few games and he's about to buy his half season ticket. Another work colleague, based in Munich and a huge Bayern fan came along with us to a Tuesday night game, and intends to make it to every Millwall game that he can from now on because he thought the crowd and the atmosphere smashed that of Bayern (the club he's supported for 25 years).

So I guess what I'm saying is, some people hate the club because of its perceived history, for others its a draw because they understand the passion - those are the fans we want!

0 likes

14. I don't care wot the media say. I don't care wot the F A say & I definitely don't care wot andy ambler says. We r millwall & always will b long after the likes of him has gone. Come on wall!!!!!!!

15. dragonflymfc says:

This is always the best topic of conversation simply because it's nonsensical.

Crowd disorder could mean bloody anything. Let me ask you all a question.

If a guy walks into a bank and throws his debit card at the guy standing next to him, who is to blame? The guy who threw the card? The guy who was hit by the card or the bank for allowing a guy to throw the card? Well I'm pretty sure unless it's the Bank of Millwall (which is nearly broke by the way) the answer is the guy throwing the card ( sorry to spoil the fun for anyone taking the quiz seriously) how could anyone expect to stop the odd numpty in the world from being a numpty?

This obviously happens at nearly every ground in the country and everyone knows it, it happens in parks, pubs, banks, schools, and everywhere else because that's life.

As usual we are getting a talking to like the naughty boy in school and our club instead of telling the F.A to f*** off and look at the s*** that happens in the premier league will go tail between our legs and say sorry sir.

No one likes us, we don't care.

2 likes

16. Cor blimey some of you lot don't half talk b*****... Listen to yourself picking at each others comments... When did i refer to this, when did you say that...

These wally's don't have a real reason so they make the excuse 'IM WORKING CLASS" pathetic...

As for the actual FA meeting someone mentioned earlier that we was charged when Liverpool came to us and wrecked the place... thats a good point if its true and i wonder if Ambler makes the point or just a*** licks and kneels like a b****...??? Maybe we don't complain when away fans act up at den because our security want peaceful live or cant be bothered to do the paper work....

DJ Cambell says he does not deserve the yellow card he's going to get in the first half against us on Saturday :)

5 likes

• @JONO: This what you've just written while accusing others of talking b*****.

"As for working class... Since when do real hard working adults/people act like morons and throw stuff at player because they are "passionate or working class" i would consider that behaviour as "benefit scrounging class" Any adult nowadays with half a brain will know it can damage the club, get us closed doors games or hefty fines... Prob the main reason big investors have never offered to buy our club, we are in a perfect location for it...

These wally's don't have a real reason so they make the excuse 'IM WORKING CLASS" pathetic.."

Where's your evidence?

3 likes

• Peckhamlad says:

@Old_Les: Good point, those comments by Jono are desperately insulting to the working class. The people who keep this country going yet are treated like crap by the overpaid scroungers and tax dodgers in the city who do nothing. Millwall has always been a great working class club and hated by the media and establishment at the FA for that.

0 likes

• @Old_Les: Spot On Les, but think JONO is trying to say there is a class under Working Class which is the benefit busters who save up all their JSA for a few pints & pills on a Saturday and go watch a big Millwall game to go and kick off.... which I know a few of but I won't be naming names!

2 likes

• @Bradders: my point is what old les just said...

"Millwall has always been a great working class club and hated by the media and establishment at the FA for that."

My exact point, there is a reason we are hated by the media, they love to help us destroy ourselves, i agree we are a scapegoat but these morons will always keep us in the firing line....

Lets face it media don't really hate us, they love us as we make headlines that sell papers, i think they love us in the way where they think "ahhhh good old Millwall fans f****** up again" ca chingggggg....

We have the best supporters in the Country but unfortunately a couple hundred of the worst.

0 likes

17. We should be talking to the F A. & asking when r they going to stop sending us s*** refs.

3 likes

18. IMO People that throw stuff on the pitch are 1) idiotic, 2) acting against the best interest of the club and fans and 3) usually under the influence of too much alcohol for their minimal tolerance levels. No proof for that, but I suspect it to be true. Many of us can have a few drinks and go to the game without throwing stuff, the minority that do misbehave need to grow up and man up.

5 likes

19. U can't keep blaming drink & when did the club start caring about its fans. It's done out of frustration fans r only human. Iam not saying it's right but iam not goin to b**** about it.

• @block 28:
      THAT PROBLEM AT WEMBLEY WAS CAUSED BY SUPPORTERS OF OTHER CLUBS...........
      [ NOT GONNA NAME THEM ] ,
      BUT I WAS APPROACHED BY TWO FANS WHO TOLD ME THAT THEY WERE FROM ANOTHER CLUB IN LONDON.......................
      [ NOW , AS I HAD MILLWALL FC BADGES AND COLOURS ON AT WEMBLEY....................WHY ON EARTH
      DO YOU THINK THEY REQUIRED ME TO KNOW WHICH LONDON CLUB THEY SUPPORTED?????
      ================
      I HAVE NOT MADE THIS UP, IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED AT THE STATION IN WEMBLEY.

" NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      TRUTHFUL - STORM

3 likes

20. U can't keep blaming drink & when did the club start caring about its fans. There was more but I was stopped from sending it. Typical.

Add Comment Register