bestkinky

Groin tear set to sideline Millwall defender for two weeks

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

PAUL Connolly limped off against Reading with a groin injury that is set to keep him out of action for the next two weeks.

Connolly had to be substituted 19 minutes into Saturday's 1-1 draw at the Madejski Stadium after twisting awkwardly whilst heading the ball back to goalkeeper David Forde.

The right back sustained a small tear to his adductor muscle and will need a fortnight's rest.

Jack Smith, who replaced the 30-year-old against the Royals, could start against Burnley this weekend but Alan Dunne is also in contention after serving a two-match ban.

15 thoughts on “Groin tear set to sideline Millwall defender for two weeks

• October 29, 2013 at 06:26

Well that's a relief he's a liability!

• October 29, 2013 at 09:22

@DanSmith93:

Unlike Dunne or Smudge you mean.......face it we don't have a truly decent RB. If Dunney gets his place back he needs to behave himself for the rest of the season he must be dangerously near to a long ban.

• October 29, 2013 at 07:10

Really I thought it wss because the Reading winger was murdering him !! SL get rid off please . Not of championship standard

• October 29, 2013 at 08:42

@millwallphil: @DanSmith93:
      Lads what unlike Alan Dunne then who you could say the same about as you have both said about Paul Connolly.

• October 29, 2013 at 09:12

These three players we have that cover the right back position are not, in my opinion, good enough. Dunne and Smith are adequate as cover but that's it. We've had a few right backs on trial but if Connolly was the best of them then the scouts need to get out and have another look around. Urgently.

• October 29, 2013 at 13:33

@NICKOLA:
      What sort of right back do you prefer and why ? A footballing one like Adam Smith for example or Alan Dunne who likes a tackle ?
      I'm still a fan of Dunney , he's committed 100% week in week out and his head never drops after a mistake.
      I think Millwall are a better unit with Dunney in the team.

• October 30, 2013 at 08:53

Compared to his competition, Dunne is probably the best option. However, I don't think that he's good enough.

@Block 8:

• October 29, 2013 at 10:37

Bloke's barely had a chance to impress and you're all on his case already. Been a decent pro has Connolly with a decent CV - could come good.

• October 29, 2013 at 13:29

@Old_Les:
      You're right , it can be difficult to judge loanees too soon. Normally they're not 100% match fit due inactivity. Connolly may be injured due to extra demand on his body having played few games or at least only reserve games at Derby.

• October 29, 2013 at 18:50

@Old_Les: Agree with you there Les. I think the 2 weeks stated above is a bit optimistic for this kind of injury, I hope I am wrong.

• October 29, 2013 at 11:12

Out of the three of them would prefer Connelly, dunne and smith past their prime as championship players, although been great pros for lions!

• October 29, 2013 at 12:08

Guys...if I was playing for a contract I would try my best...but with what I saw with connolly..he just doesn't cut it at championship level..dunne does need to calm down but hes the best at the club at present...old les...in my opinion hes had enough games to prove himself and has not done so....but still looking forward to Saturday and Burnley...I will support whoever plays

• October 29, 2013 at 12:18

I would really like to see Osborne be given a chance at the right-back berth. He's not going to get a chance at CB anytime soon but hes quicker than Smith and less reckless than Dunne however I just dont think Lomas rates him at all because he hardly even features on the bench. I thought he looked good last season when paired with Shittu at CB. May do him so good to play next to Shittu again even if its at RB instead of CB as he is still quite a raw player.

• October 29, 2013 at 14:06

What is it with Millwall and players getting grion injuries lately never used to happen Like now ---- Training methods??????? or hidden injuries from the players just get a contract???? rather feel the latter

• October 29, 2013 at 20:23

I thought Connelly had a great game against QPR and was turning the corner. I think as long as he's not injury prone, like Martin seems to be, he could be our first choice.