Report: Bournemouth 5-2 Millwall

MILLWALL conceded five goals in a match for the second time this season as they capitulated in spectacular fashion against Bournemouth.

Early goals from Martyn Waghorn and Liam Trotter had given the Lions a dream start but they were punished for attempting to defend their lead by an astonishing Cherries fightback.

Ryan Fraser started it off by making it 2-1 before the break before Steve Cook headed in to equalise.

Harry Arter put Bournemouth ahead for the first with a well-taken goal from the edge of the area and ex-Millwall frontman Lewis Grabban added a fourth from the spot after Alan Dunne handled – and was then sent off.

A sorry afternoon was complete when Brett Pittman scored another penalty in stoppage time.

Steve Lomas made three changes to the side that started against Birmingham in midweek, with Karleigh Osborne, Shaun Derry and Lee Martin coming in for Danny Shittu, Nicky Bailey and Steve Morison.

Freshening the team up certainly had the desired effect for Lomas, as the Lions raced into a two-goal lead within the opening ten minutes.

First, Liam Trotter played the ball into the feet of Waghorn, who, from a tight angle, buried his shot under goalkeeper Stephen Henderson.

On the next attack, Waghorn turned provider for Trotter and the midfielder executed a delightful chip over Henderson from eight yards to make it 2-0.

At this point those who had backed the Lions before the game with bwin sports looked like they would be in for a definite return on their stake.

In the 26th minute, Martin cut inside from the right flank and drilled towards the far corner, but his shot whistled agonisingly wide.

Grabban had the Cherries' first effort on goal with a shot that stung the palms of Forde, and Tokelo Rantie drilled into the side netting shortly afterwards as the home side worked their way back into the game.

And two minutes before half time, Bournemouth pulled one back through Fraser's neat finish into the far corner from 20 yards.

Eddie Howe's men carried that momentum through half time and drew level in the 50th minute when Steve Cook rose unmarked in the area to head in a corner.

Having been 2-0 up and seemingly cruising, Millwall incredibly found themselves behind when Harry Arter swept in from the edge of the area to score Bournemouth's third goal in 12 minutes.

The Lions were then reduced to ten men when Alan Dunne, harshly booked in the first half, was shown a second yellow card for a handball inside the area.

Grabban converted from the penalty spot to put the Cherries 4-2 up and leave Lomas wondering just how his side had collapsed so feebly.

The rest of the game was effectively a non-event, but that did not stop Bournemouth adding a fifth through Pitman after substitute Paul Connolly's trip in the area in stoppage time.

Alex Aldridge


159 thoughts on “Report: Bournemouth 5-2 Millwall

  • October 5, 2013 at 17:03

    i think JB should apologize to the fans for getting it so wrong

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)
    • October 5, 2013 at 17:30

      Lets not forget Andy and the rest of the board.
      Its all getting a bit awkward and embarrassing as the season drags on.

      Like (0)
      Dislike (0)
  • October 5, 2013 at 17:06

    Absolute capitulation. Same old Dunne (S***). Terrible defending (again). Lomas in/out I'm undecided but even when we were on our terrible run last year we weren't shipping goals like this. Appalling.

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.