bestkinky

Lomas admits Millwall looking to strengthen in loan market

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

STEVE Lomas has admitted he wants to strengthen his squad in the loan market after allowing James Henry and Liam Feeney to depart.

Henry, 24, and Feeney, 26, have joined Wolves and Bolton respectively for the next three months, leaving the Lions short of wingers.

Lomas said: "We're looking to strengthen, there's no two ways about it. That hasn't changed since I came in. But we have to make sure we get the right people and for what we can afford with our budget."

Fresh faces would be a welcome boost for the Millwall boss, whose side were well off the pace in their 4-0 defeat by Birmingham City on Tuesday.

"Tiredness could be an easy excuse," Lomas added. "Every game in the Championship has its challenges, and if you don't rise to them you will get found out. It's very frustrating for the fans that travelled up there – we produced a shoddy show and I'm gutted for them.

"In any game of football, you've got to earn the right to play. In our previous three games, we did that and got our rewards. On Tuesday we didn't and we got turned over. We didn't do the basics right.

"We thought about freshening it up after the Leeds game, but we wanted to give the boys an opportunity to keep the shirts. It would have been harsh to drop anyone after another win. But when you lose, that changes and places are up for grabs."

But one player who is unlikely to feature against Bournemouth on Saturday is striker Scott McDonald, who has had a second injection on a knee injury.

"He has had a sugar jab now so we will have to wait and see with Scott," Lomas said. "He's already had an anti-inflammatory injection.

"We will have to decide whether it is worth risking another potential setback against Bournemouth, or give him the two-week international break to recover. We will be guided by what the physio says."

Meanwhile, Josh Wright could be the next squad member to leave The Den on loan.

"A few clubs have made enquiries but they are just enquiries at the minute," Lomas said.

37 thoughts on “Lomas admits Millwall looking to strengthen in loan market

• October 3, 2013 at 10:06

I've posted on here previously that Lomas was, and is, determined to get his own first eleven playing.
    Those he didn't rate ie: DNG who has gone, Feeney and Henry who are out on loan with a view to a permanent move, and now Wright is the next in line. Marquis has gone but I genuinely think that's not a one way ticket as he would like him back.
    His quote following the Birmingham result- "But when you lose, that changes and places are up for grabs" indicates to me anyway, that Lowry will return, Shittu will be replaced and Dunne is under pressure again. He must be looking into bringing in replacements for those plus new faces to cover the loss of Henry and Feeney and we now have the money to do so. Problem is are they going to be an improvement ?

• October 3, 2013 at 10:30

@NICKOLA: damned if you do and damned if you dont on this site recently ! I think he will bring in decent players but I would like to see chaplow instead of Trotts only becsuse of work rate

• October 3, 2013 at 11:05

@NICKOLA: I think he did rate DNG, I did too but the boo boys were never going to let him settle. Feeney hopefully will come back a sharper player, Certainly there has to be stability at the back and more options up front. Losing Beevers and McDonald who have been playing so well is a body blow. Sooner they are fit the better.

• October 3, 2013 at 11:10

Beevers is a long way off returning and I can't see Lomas risking McDonald with an international break coming up. He's obviously not happy with Shittu especially, but didn't put Osborne in there when he had the option to do so. Personally I think he's looking to take the defence apart and boost the winger options with his own players coming in. Maybe that's the loan market area he's looking into. We've certainly got enough central midfielders and forwards

@Peckhamlad:

• October 3, 2013 at 11:37

@Peckhamlad: Dany N'Guessan was a dreadful signing with a first touch that went further than most people could kick it. Typical French bad attitude to match as per the Palace game when all we asked is that he at least made an effort. Nothing to do with the boo boys as you suggest because I don't recall anything like that until and after the Palace game. Losing Beever and MacDonal is a paint but if our squad is as good as all seem to think then it's an easily bearable loss. As for Feeney he turned out to be exactly what a Bournemouth ST told me when he signed - and it wasn't great. We can get better than him and Henry

• October 3, 2013 at 13:14

@Old_Les: It's easier said than done to get better players, we looked mustard against Blackpool and Charlton too and did well against a shaky Leeds, Just hope Birmingham was a one off, but agree the defence needs strengthening if the team is to get anywhere.

• October 3, 2013 at 13:22

@Peckhamlad:
        DNG got exactly what he desrved from the fans. Surprised you can knock Millwall fans over that t*****. His parting shot when joining Swindon should of left you in no doubt about the sort person he is.

• October 3, 2013 at 13:50

@Peckhamlad: He showed against palarse he didnt want to play for us, did you clap him off the pitch after that pathetic showing. You seem to have a problem with other Wall fans.

• October 3, 2013 at 23:16

The "boo boys" were not the reason DNG had to go. He has the build, strength & pace to be a cracking player, what he lacks is the desire, commitment & passion to see it through. As a life long lion I'd take the last 3 attributes over the 1st 3 any day! I think Shittu has his 2 year contract & can't be arsed anymore, just an opinion but there it is.

• October 4, 2013 at 12:29

@MickyMillwall:
          Agree with all of that Micky. I am obviously a fan of Shittu based on last season and I keep backing him but he really is not the same player. I want the old Danny back. The one that gave me one of my best away trips at Blackburn in the FA Cup. Still get goosebumps about that day and night. What a 24 hour non stop party that was. Come on Shittu. Sort it out .

• October 3, 2013 at 11:13

I am pleased Lomarse recognises we need more bodies, so say all the natives!
    I would like to see a left back as cover for Malone, a right winger to replace Henry and Feeney and a Goalkeeper as cover for Fordey because Bywater is worse than me!

• October 3, 2013 at 12:02

@darrenjamesdj: I'm not sure that throwing yet more new players at the problem is the solution. He's brought in quite a few already, yet the run of three wins was largely achieved with the return of the old guard.

I'm not saying we wouldn't benefit from an influx of new blood, but it has to be better than we've already got - and a few of the new signings are already looking surplus to requirements.

We've already got a big squad. At some stage, Lomas is going to have to accept that he gets the best of what he's got before him.

• October 3, 2013 at 11:18

Lomarse can free up more £ by getting rid of Wright, Smith, Shittu and Keogh and sending Obrien out on loan for the season. I also hope we cancel Derry's contract but I am not sure what I would do with Connolly who I always rated until he played for us against Derby!

• October 3, 2013 at 11:33

@darrenjamesdj: Nearly everyone had a stinker against Derby so I think it would be unfair to judge Connolly on that. With most of our new players it has taken a few games for them to find their feet (except Waggy). The rest of your post I agree with.

• October 3, 2013 at 13:10

I think Malone has to stay in the team, his positivity adds a dimension to the team that allows us to go on the front foot. shittu should be dropped as soon as Beevers is better again and why not give Osbourne a go, he couldn't be worse than Shittu? I sincerely hope Woolwford is allowed to keep his place, he deserves it and has shown the right attitude and application to make it at this club.

• October 3, 2013 at 16:25

@glyngo: Much as I hate to agree with you I do (with slight reservations). Malone deserves his place and Osborne has to step up at some time and I think he's got a bit about him. Much as I like Dan Shittu he's been poor and strikes me something not right with him. Watched him coming off the pitch at the end v Leeds and he didn't seem to enjoy or be milking the applause as usual - just walked off chatting to one of theirs. Wonder if he's had a fall out with the ginger tramp.

• October 3, 2013 at 21:38

There's a lot not right with Shittu Les.
        Firstly he's gained at least 20 lbs during the close season.
        Secondly, lumping the ball forwards 40 yards vs. Leeds rather than playing it out doesn't exactly enamour himself towards a manager who's trying to play football on the ground.
        Thirdly, he's too comfortbale with this contract we gave him and considers ( considered) himself to be indispensable. Selling T-shirts is one thing but looking like a carthorse is another and there's nothing like a Millwall supporter to see that.
        Time to rest him and bring others in. If Lomas doesn't see him or Osborne/Lowry in that position and irrespective of the injury to Beevers, we therefore need a new centre half or at least a worthy back-up and Shittu doesn't fit in based on that.
        @Old_Les:

• October 3, 2013 at 14:11

Let's hope the players or player brought in are better than Henry and Feeney, cos these two are not bad players! A young player eager to impress would be nice rather than a 30 something journey man!!

• October 3, 2013 at 14:49

I would keep Malone in at left back and put Lowry in next to Robinson. Sounds like we got overrun on Tuesday, which can happen when you play three up front! Especially when Morison isn't really doing the job - I think Easter would be a better bet in that position at the moment. Bournemouth will be a hard one but I expect to be coming back with at least a point. Birmingham was a bad one but you aren't going to get something out of every game.

• October 3, 2013 at 16:49

We have a good enough squad for a mid table finish. You can tinker all you want with a team but only 11 players can start. Good cover at each position is essentially whats required. The strikers when fit are decent enough (except maybe JM and AK) Midfield is fine too (apart from JW) So that leaves just the defence to get cover for. Left back, right back and centre back loanees coming in, COYL

• October 3, 2013 at 17:09

I dunno if we're going to attract better players than Henry but his attitude wasn't good so best he moves on! Shittu isn't the same player this year but then again he is getting on! At the moment I don't see a realistic loan signing out there that would improve us much at all

• October 3, 2013 at 22:04

I miss Chris Taylor who went to Blackburn.
      Say what you want about him but he was a real Millwall type of player and would be doing well with us now.

@TheBermondseyBomber:

• October 4, 2013 at 11:21

@TheBermondseyBomber: Last season Danny was immense, as captain he showed true leadership qualities, and loved it when the crowd shouted his name when he challenged to head the ball clear. This season he has lost the armband and is not the first choice so I think this has effected his game. My advice to Danny is to forget the armband and play your own game, I am sure the leadership qualities are still there.

• October 3, 2013 at 17:11

I think we're missing Beevers at the back. Him and robbo is a very good partnership at this level. No one's mentioned that Chaplow could be pushing for a start , he seems to be this season's forgotten man..

• October 3, 2013 at 17:12

Don't know why Shittu started ahead of Lowry but that's history, though expect Lowry to replace him after last game. Trouble with strengthening in the loan market, it's not easy finding a good player as those that are free are usually free for a reason and also not fit so will take time to get up to speed when we can't afford it. The loan market paid off for a large part of KJ's reign but eventually your luck runs out.

Goalkeeper cover, as well as RB because the freebie we got wasn't great. Wright going is good too and can see SL trying to create more of his own team rather than a legacy XI.

• October 3, 2013 at 17:18

Loaning too many players at any time is risky in my opinion. 1 , they can un settle permanent 1st team players and cause unrest. 2 , loanees are rarely match fit and need time to adjust. This is usually at the expense of the team and results. I think we should hang in there and make the most of what we've got at the moment.

• October 3, 2013 at 18:20

@peckhamboy. U really do talk a load of b*******

• October 3, 2013 at 18:25

'Easter better bet than Morison'. The mind boggles. Also, I have never seen a 'Wall player fall so quickly out of favour with fans for purely playing reasons than Danny Shittu.

• October 3, 2013 at 19:18

I believe SL needs to pair Moro with Mac. Perhaps bring Moro on against the cherries if required. Then after International break Mac should be fit and pair them together.

• October 4, 2013 at 19:57

@potty1: where does that leave waggie. One of the best we have imo

• October 3, 2013 at 20:13

Would like to perhaps sign Ryo Miyachi on loan from Arsenal. Watched him in a reserves game for them and he looked really good! 18 Year old Japanese Right Winger. Very, very quick and likes to take people on. Looks a prospect for the future

• October 3, 2013 at 22:09

Going to take 6 games to fit in and we haven't got the luxury of that amount of time.
      The important thing this season is to stay in the championship. Once that's been secured we can introduce any promising youngsters we've got and give them a few games. Colts from Arsenal, Chelsea etc. are a short term fix and don't progress the club, especially if we're not in a position to sign them long term.

@James_SE16:

• October 4, 2013 at 08:26

@NICKOLA: have to disagree there Nickola. Any player that helps us stay up helps progress the club.

• October 4, 2013 at 20:01

@NICKOLA: Kane, Townsend, smith amongst others who apparently are going on to bigger and better things! In their opinion, but they cannot hold down a position in the spurs first team. Now if they weren't on ridiculous wages.....

• October 4, 2013 at 08:44

@James_SE16: Not so sure he would be keen to come down after being hit by a bottle thrown from the stands after he scored against us for bolton in the FA cup last year

• October 4, 2013 at 11:14

@James_SE16: Last season we had a young winger on loan from I think Arsenal, he played a handful of games before being injured at Middlesborough. Before he went off never to be seen again he did set up a goal for Marquis. He showed good pace with the ball as he ran at the oppo's defenders and put in some good crosses, is he not available this season?

• October 4, 2013 at 19:59

@CavanLion: you mean afobe who was I think a striker and who I think is still injured