bestkinky

Waghorn: Wounded Lions need to go back to basics again

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

STRIKER Martyn Waghorn reckons Millwall need to go back to basics after their midweek thumping at St Andrew's.

The Lions went into the game full of confidence off the back of three straight wins, but the Blues romped to an emphatic 4-0 victory.

But whilst there were no positives to take on the night, Waghorn is confident Millwall will respond against Bournemouth on Saturday – as they did after their humiliating defeat to Derby County last month.

The Leicester City loanee said: "We can't dwell on it. After the Derby game, we put that to bed, came back flying and won three on the bounce. We've got winning performances in our locker and that's got to be our mindset.

"You think about a result like this for a day or so, but you have to get over it and work hard for Saturday.

"There were a lot of things that accumulated into a bad performance and result. We've got to take a hard look at ourselves individually and collectively.

"It was one of those freak performances where nothing goes right on the night. Whether that was because of the way we prepared or the way our mindset was after three wins, I don't know – it's a tricky one.

"I thought we did everything right after the Leeds game. Birmingham played last midweek, so I don't think tiredness was a factor. We spoke about it after the game but we can't really put our finger on what went wrong.

"We've got to remember that we are Millwall and hard work is what we base ourselves on. We have to go back to basics and put the graft in against Bournemouth, which is a big game for us."

Waghorn has been a regular starter since moving to The Den on loan and he has been pleased overall with his performances – Tuesday night aside.

"It wasn't the greatest game for me personally," he said. "I feel that the first goal was my mistake – I let the runner go.

"I try to work as hard as I can but I was tiring a little in the final 10 minutes – maybe that's because I haven't played a lot of games recently. I'll take it on the chin and make sure I improve on Saturday.

"With the lads winning, you kind of forget about scoring and you can't really complain, but hopefully I can get on the scoresheet once or twice."

8 thoughts on “Waghorn: Wounded Lions need to go back to basics again

• October 3, 2013 at 09:21

Can't put finger on what went wrong? Getting the ball on the ground and out of our half would be a start. Feel bad for the couple of hundred that travelled up there to see such an abysmal display.

• October 3, 2013 at 12:38

@char: not always as simple as that is it.

• October 3, 2013 at 09:23

What a great quote from Waggy " we are Millwall". Top man would be a good signing on a permanent for us.
    Bournemouth can't come quick enough. I've got my ticket and I'm expecting a good performance.

• October 3, 2013 at 12:24

@ken4tune: I think he meant we are Millwall and not a really good team with quality, so going back to basics and hard work is where it starts. Which to be honest is fair enough assesment of the club and is why we all love them. Must be boring being a Man U fan!!!!

• October 3, 2013 at 09:47

All the comments that the players come out with seem to be scripted to what the situation is that we are currently in, and the tend to send the most in favour player to deliver the message , so as not to offend the fans, IMO

• October 3, 2013 at 10:57

Glad he admitted the first goal was his mistake, instead of a certain person who is constantly blamed, it is a team responsibility and on the night the team did not perform. lets hope they will against Bournemouth.

• October 3, 2013 at 11:21

I really like this guy, he gives 100%, he has lots of ability, he says the right thing and is the right age to grow with us. I hope we buy him in January!

• October 3, 2013 at 14:06

Totally agree, good honest player, you can see his determination.
      Hope we can buy him.