bestkinky

Winger Henry is part of my plans, insists Millwall manager

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

JAMES Henry will not be leaving Millwall unless a club makes a large bid for the winger, boss Steve Lomas has claimed.

Former Den manager Kenny Jackett, now head coach at Wolves, has made an offer for the 24-year-old, which NewsAtDen understands has been turned down.

Henry was left out of the Lions' squad for the second week running on Saturday but watched his teammates beat Leeds United 2-0 from the stands.

And Lomas said: "It would have to be a hell of a bid for us to get rid of him. He's not in the squad at the minute but he's very much part of my plans.

"The last thing we as a club want to do is get rid of players in their mid-20s with good Championship experience. We've brought in experience and we certainly don't want to be losing any.

"But with Financial Fair Play coming in this year, if Wolves came in with £1.5million we might consider it. James has been fine. He's been fantastic in training – no problems at all."

29 thoughts on “Winger Henry is part of my plans, insists Millwall manager

• September 28, 2013 at 18:26

You stay Henry and fight for your place on your day your quality , you just got to up your game mmmiiiilll

• September 28, 2013 at 18:27

You stay Henry and fight for your place on your day your quality, you just got to up your game mmmiiiilll

• September 28, 2013 at 18:31

Finally looks like we've got a great Millwall manager and a club that isn't going to sell our players for peanuts.

• September 28, 2013 at 18:36

@NICKOLA: I want some of what he's on!!

1.5m is just dreamland, but I like his b*****

• September 28, 2013 at 18:39

With you on that one.
        Makes you wonder what the offer was....250k ...350k ?

@bonnie1272:

• September 29, 2013 at 19:26

@NICKOLA: I heard 250. How true that is who knows, but it was a figure I heard at half time yesterday.

• September 29, 2013 at 21:09

Well that might pay for his left leg but I'd say his right one was worth treble that.

@bonnie1272:

• September 28, 2013 at 18:49

I'm not sure that any out and out wingers are part of SL's plans. Both Feeney and Henry are not good at chasing back . Both of which appear on their way out permanently sooner or later.

• September 28, 2013 at 19:58

@Block 8: You may well be right as we do not have any real target men in the forward line, they like the ball played to their feet.

• September 28, 2013 at 18:54

3rd time I've posted the below from Wikipedia, history repeating itself?

'Despite a slow start to the 2012–13 season after many changes to the squad - 12 players were out of contract during the summer - St Johnstone had an excellent September, drawing with Dundee United and winning the next four matches, the first against Celtic, ending Ross County's 40 game unbeaten run and beating rivals Dundee, as well as reaching the quarter finals of the Scottish League Cup. On 4 October 2012, Lomas was named SPL Manager of the month, the first time a St Johnstone manager had won the award.[17] On beating the Manager of the Month "curse" in October to record 5th and 6th straight wins against St Mirren and Kilmarnock, Steve Lomas achieved the best run of results at St Johnstone since 1971,[18] reaching 2nd place in the SPL table behind Celtic.[19]'

• September 28, 2013 at 19:51

£1M is a fair price.

• September 28, 2013 at 19:52

On another issue....
    Just seen that Clough has been given the boot by Derby.
    What a fickle business we are all immersed in.

• September 28, 2013 at 19:56

@NICKOLA: Fk me, who would your money have been on for the sack after they stuffed us a couple of weeks ago, Lomas or Clough? Football,'it's a funny ol' game Saint, it's a funny ol' game'......

• September 28, 2013 at 20:22

@lion.ie: It is a funny old game because 3 weeks ago if the majority of people on here had got there way SL wouldn't be here. But hopefully that is history and we can all unite and enjoy the ride.

• September 28, 2013 at 20:40

@Sealion: Yep, hands up, me included. I consistently said that nine games in, after Leeds, we would have an idea of where we were with Lomas, but after such a miserable start and the Derby debacle I really couldn't see a way back for him. But, I am very happy that he has turned the first couple of corners and is hopefully starting to make me and some of the less constructive people on here eat their words. Long season but I must admit, I am starting to believe. COYL

• September 28, 2013 at 21:08

@lion.ie: I could not see SL getting past the blackpool game but he turned to the ' old guard' and they played for him and players who we thought were deadwood have stepped up, like you I am pleased for him & Millwall, we look to have a strong squad now, Wooly has become our star now and with Moro & Mac to come back we can look forward to games with confidence COYL

• September 28, 2013 at 22:11

I'd love to hear our mob in full voice home & away. Makes me feel so proud when the Den is in full swing. Nice to hear the monks chant loud & sustained today. Really feels like it lifts the players & makes them perform. Love our club!

• September 28, 2013 at 22:26

I wanted Lomas gone. I have just looked at the ages of some of our players . how many under 25 we have it a growing squad. Henry is only 24, he can become a very good player as long as he becomes more of a team player and stops trying to do it on his own

• September 28, 2013 at 23:53

Keep playing like this and the gates WILL rise

• September 29, 2013 at 01:56

Henry is having another bad season by his high standards, and I am sure that many herw will remember the same thing happening two seasons ago. Either sign him up on a long term deal before xmas or sell him and let's make some money

• September 29, 2013 at 09:59

I wonder if Lomas will sell Henry if he can buy Waghorn?

• September 29, 2013 at 10:05

@bermondseylion: I am a big James Henry fan, but wouldn't be unhappy with that. We need to consider the future as well considering Morrison is also only on loan

• September 29, 2013 at 12:04

1.5 million! Good money for someone who's heart isn't in it and doesnt care about the club just about himself and will def leave for free at end of season. Dont like his attitude and will never be a real team player! It's all about him. Such a shame because the boy has class on his day but thats just it, we don't see it enough

• September 30, 2013 at 00:10

@el tel:
      Me and you sing off the same hymnn sheet mate

• September 29, 2013 at 13:34

I think Lomas knows he wont get £1.5M for Henry but said it to get a increased bid from Wolves.

• September 30, 2013 at 09:48

@bermondseylion: thats what all the other clubs do apart from ours. Lomas is changing that hopefully! About time we start getting proper money for our players and not the peanuts we've had in the past

• September 29, 2013 at 15:11

I really don't care about JH. I would love him to get back to his best form but I do not think that will happen, so to get a reasonable fee would be good. I would love to get Waghorn though if poss, he looks hungry and skilful and fits into the side really well.

• September 30, 2013 at 08:05

Henry has ability but only seems to play when it suits him! We need much more than that so I would be quite happy to see him sold in January for a fee of 1 million. Lets see Ambler earn his corn!