bestkinky

Millwall boss believes left back Malone has "bright future"

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

STEVE Lomas believes left back Scott Malone has the raw abilities to be a "very good player" in the future, but says the 22-year-old is still a work in progress.

Malone produced a man-of-the-match display against Leeds United at The Den on Saturday, scoring the second goal in a 2-0 victory.

The ex-Bournemouth defender returned to the side earlier this month in the wake of Shane Lowry's suspension and has since put in three impressive performances.

But boss Lomas has told Malone that he will have to maintain recent high standards if he is to keep his place in the team.

Lomas said: "Scott was told that he had the next three games and it was down to him to make sure he got the fourth after that. We've got a very good left back coming back in Shane Lowry, so if he rests on his laurels he will be out of the team quicker than he got in it.

"Scott has come in and done very well. He is a young man and we've asked him to focus defensively first, and then attack. Maybe in the past he was too focused on attacking.

"He's got the natural attributes to be a very good player – he's 6ft 1in tall, decent on the ball and can run forward. He is still a young man learning the game and he's got a bright future ahead of him if he keeps listening to me and Tim Breacker, who was an excellent attacking full back – he's trying to help him."

43 thoughts on “Millwall boss believes left back Malone has "bright future"

• September 29, 2013 at 08:38

Looked hungry and eager to get forward and assist. One of our best players yesterday I thought. Well done son keep it going and make Lowry work hard to shift you out the starting eleven.

• September 29, 2013 at 12:10

@deff our best player yesterday, has to keep his place.SE11 Lion:

• September 29, 2013 at 08:45

Pre season Malone was interviewed and said he believed he will one day play at a higher level. That ambition is a good quality I just hope he realises the work he still has to put I though. He is definitely the best LB at the club

• September 29, 2013 at 09:06

@glyngo
      Lets hope he plays at a higher level with this club!
      He was quality against Blackpool and he was quality yesterday against Leeds.
      Scott Malone needs to keep on chalking up performances like he has in the previous games because I believe that he is a key player in the future success of Millwall.

• September 29, 2013 at 09:17

Showed his eagerness to stay in the side when he got back to 'calmly slot' the ball onto Fordie's post. Great performance all round !

• September 29, 2013 at 09:30

I must be honest, I said earlier this season that Malone wasn't up to the task but his recent performances, especially yesterdays, have been quality. Now he looks comfortable on the ball, always a good sign. Must dash my breakfast is ready, a nice large slice of humble pie.........

• September 29, 2013 at 09:42

Malone was ignored by Jackett last season. Even when Lowry was injured or suspended he either mpved Beevers across to Left Back or played Adam Smith out of position there. He has proved what he can do when given the chance and is now a valuable member of the squad..

• September 29, 2013 at 10:06

1st choice left back, hope lomas puts Lowry on bench or CB for next couple of games, hopefully Malone can bang in another few goals like yesterdays, MIIIIIIIIIIII!!

• September 29, 2013 at 10:07

Shane Lowry is not a very good left back. Centre half yes but not left back. Malone that is your position only to loose

• September 29, 2013 at 10:35

Man if the Match yesterday for me - by a mile. In this formation he's brought the width that was missing - no coincidence I think that these wins have come since the right player to suit the formation has been at left back.

• September 29, 2013 at 10:39

One of the best left back performances by a millwall player for years! Malone to make position his own, Lowry in at centre half in place of mistake a game shittu! It's a no brainer.

• September 29, 2013 at 11:14

@dpendet:
      Danny Shittu should continue to play alongside Robbo until Mark Beevers is fit. You do not want to tinker too much with a back 4 that has won 3 games in a row and only conceded 1 goal. I am sure if his performance is poor during a game that Steve Lomas will substitute him or drop him as he has done before.

• September 29, 2013 at 11:43

@dpendet: totally agree with your comment here Shittu needs to work a lot more on his fitness and lose some bulk to be more mobile I think Lowrys speed over Shittu will make a difference

• September 29, 2013 at 11:35

Watched the highlights on BBC, have to say the two goals were the best I have seen from Millwall for ages.. The build ups to both were exceptional particularly Scott Malone's brilliant one two's with the classy Trotter. The finishing was clinical. Even the BBC commentators were impressed.
    SL's problem now is who to leave out when Beevers and Morison return he has a hard choice who to select. A far better position than a few weeks ago when the situation was reversed.
    Now the opposition will be fearing us and us not fearing them, I think we can take anyone on in this league now! But amazingly still early days! Keep the team steady as it is.

• September 29, 2013 at 11:39

I had no idea he was 6'1" tall I assumed he was a short a*** for some reason.

What about moving Lowry to his preferred position of CB alongside Robbo?

Back four of

LB - Malone
    CB - Lowry
    CB - Robinson
    RB - Dunne

I know Beevers has done well but I'm showing my bias here towards a fellow Aussie

• September 29, 2013 at 18:08

@millwalldownunder: ooooh
      Thats a toughie down under
      No question your country man is a good cb but beevers has been superb for us and has to be the preffered choice alongside robbo.
      Have a strange feeling lowry will end up a utility player covering the lb and cb, shame cause i think he could be a top cb.

• September 29, 2013 at 19:35

@lukesmithmfc: so what's happened to Connolly? Was the 5-1 drubbing totally his fault?

• September 29, 2013 at 11:43

@millwallgra. Shittu is s***, I go week in week out, don't kid yourself that he is good! He was very much part of the team that were getting beat earlier in the season? As for tinkering shittu only came back in the team yesterday, so get him back on the bench and Lowry in alongside robbo

• September 29, 2013 at 12:13

@dpendet:
      I agree that his form had dropped and he had has gained weight but you don't go from being the fans player of the year to s***!
      I was there yesterday and Danny Shittu contributed to us no conceding a goal. He also has had a game under his rather wide belt in this line up. If you are down the Den week in week out you would know that whoever they put in that position will only be holding until Mark Beevers is fit.
      Lets see what Steve Lomas decides to do at Birmingham and Bournemouth.

• September 29, 2013 at 21:13

He's going to play Shittu on Tuesday and Osborne vs Bournemouth IMO.

@MillwallGra:

• September 29, 2013 at 14:28

@dpendet: No he is not, and I am fed up with our players been slagged off by our own supoorters. Danny has done a great job for Millwall in and out of the team. No one can perform brilliantly every game.. even Rooney has his awful games. but you would not call him crap. Its a good thing Danny was there yesterday to take Beevers place. Karleigh is good too his day will come.

• September 29, 2013 at 18:09

@dpendet:
      Are you saying he was s*** last season as well or that he has become a s*** player since then. He was one of 11 players that was getting beat early part of the season.

• September 29, 2013 at 20:22

@dpendet: I'm probably Shittu's critic on here but to say he is sh*t is ludicrous. He is a solid centre half with notable limitations in his positioning and passing/distribution. What a squad player though.

• September 29, 2013 at 15:52

Two good goals yesterday and classy. I don't care who is waiting to come back in the team and how good they are,for me,if the same players are fit then play the same ones.I know trotter gets slagged off at times but ten good players can gel and one or two so called star players can upset the vibes of a team.................if it ain't broke etc etc

• September 29, 2013 at 17:05

If there's anyone interested, there's an obvious mis-price on the odds of Charlton finishing in the bottom half at SkyBet: http://www.skybet.com/football/sky-bet-championship . A dead cert, no? Just found it when checking our odds for top 6..

• September 29, 2013 at 17:05

After the Derby debacle who would have thought we would beat Leeds without Beevers, Lowry, McDonald and Morison in the team? The icing on the cake would be for the forwards to start scoring a few more goals. With this in mind I think Morison should replace Easter against Birmingham.

• September 29, 2013 at 17:55

@denslions: Yes agree, Moro has to play regularly now to get the consistency going again alongide Mac if fit. After all thats what he was bought for to get goals. Malone has earnt his place.. Dont think Lowry has the know how to score with one touch football.

• September 29, 2013 at 17:09

@peckhamlad. Stop kidding yourself he's crap end of !

• September 29, 2013 at 18:35

@dpendet: Not kidding, Danny is a solid Millwall player in a Millwall shirt, and did well yesterday as he did last season. I would love to be able to watch the team every week I watched them for 40 years but I cant afford to travel 280 miles every time they are at home. I don't s*** my own team players.

• September 29, 2013 at 17:19

@peckhamlad. Instead of watching the highlights on telly, go and support the boys? When your not at a live match you can't see the whole game and realise shittu is not up to the standard to wear the blue shirt of my beloved lions

• September 29, 2013 at 18:46

@peckhamlad. In 40 years as a lions fan you've never said to your mates that a certain player is rubbish? I want what's best for millwall and I'm sorry but shittu is not my cup of tea, like many fans around me yesterday at the game. Never rated shittu since Morrison went past him when he was at qpr and scored in a 2-0 win. Lowry at centre back with robbo please SL

• September 29, 2013 at 19:19

@we all know Danny is too heavy and too slow at this level that said he has worked his socks off and did ok yesterday and prob kept us up last season. beevers alongside Robbo when fit again. great to see the boys full of fight again and some quality.want to see some bigger crowds down there, the team deserve it.dpendet:

• September 29, 2013 at 20:15

@macman:
        You are 100% right in my opinion but that's what it is all about opinions on here. The majority of fans voted for Danny last year and Steve Lomas put him in a team that kept a clean sheet against Leeds yesterday. After the first 20 minutes they came us, we kept them out and Danny helped. As I have said before in my opinion Mark Beevers is currently the best player to play alongside Robbo but I would prefer Danny Shittu over Shane Lowry whilst Mark Beevers is injured.

• September 29, 2013 at 20:27

On the subject of crowds 45k at Swindon.payoff 13.5k yesterday?
    Come on people get down the Den it's a good day out we terrorized Leeds second half and the same happened at Blackpool.
    We have always wanted to see the Wall playing on the ground and going at teams and that's what we are starting to do.
    It's embarrassing that the anoraks have larger attendances than us.

• September 29, 2013 at 21:16

@MillwallGra: Why is it embarrassing? With comments oike that people will think you've gone all Chelsea. A big reason that Charlton get more is that they give a lot of tickets away for f*** all or more or less f*** all and I believe they also bus people in from the shires (which Millwall should do). Not doing them a lot of good and don't be surprised if they're in admin before long or very close to it.

• September 29, 2013 at 22:30

Got that right.
        Last year I was in Stoke primarily to see friends but also for the beer, but I digress. The point is that the pubs in the large catchment area that Stoke City supporters habitat offer coaches to and from their stadium. We've seen a huge migration of supporters to various shires, Kent-as an example-and Charlton picked up on that years ago and we've lagged behind with that foresight. Given the cost of public transportation and the lack of parking in the Den area it's no wonder some Millwall supporters select their games. I wrote to the FOTB some time ago about this but was not given the courtesy of a reply. I wasn't asking him personally to drive the coach but thought it might instil some motivation to at least look into it and offer publicans free advertising for example, in the programme. Either that-and I do realise that not all Kentish publicans follow Millwall- that the idea might take root, that Millwall might consider transporting in 50 plus supporters per coachload or at least looked into. Obviously not.
        @Old_Les:

• September 29, 2013 at 20:53

Got to sort out his Barnet out. Poxy as it stands.

• September 29, 2013 at 21:58

Lots saying Lowry should go in alongside Robbo at CB... Lowry is pony! May be an unpopular opinion but his distribution is terrible and he. In fact, all of our defenders bar maybe Robinson can play a decent ball but even he can't play it on the floor well enough. Sorry to sound so negative off the back of three straight wins and I may be picking holes but... our whole back four, at this level, needs to be calm and assured on the ball and look to play it on the floor more often than playing the high balls that they always do, which causes scrappy play in middle at times and a loss of possession! Wow I have to stop being so negative on here sorry 😀

• September 29, 2013 at 22:06

Negativity will always attract negativiity so keep it positive James !!
      Lomas knows what he's doing. I didn't think so 2 weeks ago but I've since eaten humble pie and am now back to my stance 2 months ago.
      I've also had a look at the loan market movers and shakers. We got Morison, Charlton got Church. We got Waghorn, Bristol City got Harewood. etc. etc.
      Fly the Lion flag.
      All is well.

@jamesmartinmfc:

• September 30, 2013 at 00:25

Thought all the lads done great yesterday, but the unsung hero for me was Jimmy. No airs and graces, just gets on with it. Our Claude Makelele.

• September 30, 2013 at 08:23

Well done Snotty you have come in and earnt the shirt. My concern in reading this interview is Lomarse will play Lowry at left back one day in the future which is a mistake waiting to happen! Please Steve ONLY play Lowry at centre half, he is no more a left back than my auntie Fanny!

• September 30, 2013 at 16:24

Malone has been a revelation since his return. We finally have a bona fide wing back who can get up and down the pitch with an attacking threat. Lowry can't do that, sorry. COYL