bestkinky

Osborne eyes first appearance of the season against Leeds

© Alan Stanford
© Alan Stanford

KARLEIGH Osborne is ready to step into the breach against Leeds United on Saturday after Mark Beevers was sidelined by a knee injury.

Beevers sprained medial ligaments during the Lions' 1-0 victory over Charlton last weekend and could be out of action for up to eight weeks, although he is unlikely to need surgery.

And Osborne, who has been on the bench for the last two matches, is determined to seize the moment if boss Steve Lomas selects him for the clash against the Yorkshire club.

He said: "Obviously it's not good that Beevs has picked up an injury – although it could have been worse – but it might give me the chance to show the gaffer what I can do. If I'm given that chance, it's up to me to take it.

"I'll be working hard in training this week, as I have been doing since pre-season, so that I'm ready for that opportunity. If I'm called upon on Saturday, I will be ready for it – there is no doubt about that.

"I had been thinking I might have to go out on loan and play some games, but there's a possibility I might get given a chance here. I need to a regular run of games and hopefully prove myself to the manager and the fans that I'm good enough to play in a Championship team."

Osborne, who made 16 appearances for Millwall last season, is yet to play a minute of competitive action under Lomas – so a return against Leeds at The Den would be a real baptism of fire.

The 25-year-old added: "Sometimes that can be better for you – a big atmosphere, with the fans right behind us and especially off the back of two good results.

"It's been frustrating for me so far because I just want to play football, but the gaffer has had to work out what his best team is and he's picked who he's picked. I've had to bide my time and wait for my turn.

"It would be great go out there and prove my worth in a game like this. It's all starting to click now – the gaffer has come in with some new ideas and it's taken us a while to get going, but I think that's happened now."

Lomas admits he faces a tough choice as to whether to give Osborne the nod – or recall Danny Shittu, who he dropped from the squad last week.

"We are disappointed for Mark because he was looking good, but it's an opportunity for somebody else," said the Lions boss.

"We have either Danny or Karleigh to come in. We'll have a look at them in training and make a decision. We have three games in seven days which is tough on the squad, so that is something to consider as well.

"Both of them are right-sided and you would prefer a left-footer in there to replace Mark, but we've got to get on with it and it's a chance for one of them to stake a claim."

28 thoughts on “Osborne eyes first appearance of the season against Leeds

• September 26, 2013 at 09:51

would be my choice!

• September 26, 2013 at 09:58

Would not be my choice but good luck Osbourne. Seize the opportunity.

• September 26, 2013 at 10:14

Definitely karleigh over shittu just hope he keeps Malone at left back when lowrys ban is completed

• September 26, 2013 at 10:26

Osborne for me. Shittu wasn't even on the bench last game which says a lot.
      I don't like his wording 'We have three games in seven days which is tough on the squad, so that is something to consider as well'.
      Does that mean that both Shittu and Osborne are going to alternate ?
      I hope not.

.@deano22:

• September 26, 2013 at 10:30

Karleigh is very quick and very strong.... provided Robbo keeps talking to him I think he'll do the job!! Keep the form going lads! Come on Wall!!!

• September 26, 2013 at 10:53

Give Karleigh his chance, he has been patient and eager to prove himself. Not the ideal scenarion to start but he is a professional and talks sense. Watched Leeds last night they did not look that brilliant and their defense was full of holes. Karliegh for me and Danny on the bench.

• September 26, 2013 at 11:31

Defo gotta be karleigh very good CB, wall to win 2-0 easy against them northern monkeys MIIIIIIIIII!!

• September 26, 2013 at 11:37

Much as I detest the bin dippers they're a good side with a very good manager - and they're coming off (I think) three straight defeats so they'll be dangerous. 1 - 1 for me but will be overjoyed to be wrong long as it's a home win

• September 26, 2013 at 19:03

@Old_Les: Alright Les, I have not seen you on here for a while, is everything ok?

Good post there mate. Nice to have you back.

• September 26, 2013 at 11:40

give the bloke a run! especially as it's a big game probably the biggest of the year at the den , chuck him in the deep end if he swims then it's very positive if he sinks then it's a learning curve, at the end of the day these players need a chance to prove them selves and the only way to do that is on the pitch and what a place to start at the den against the scum plus shittu does worry me at the moment the bloke needs to shift a stone at least he was not the player he was last year he needs to re-find form , but in no means am i writing him off he's a quality player just needs to sharpen up a bit coz he saved our season in many last year we can't forget that lads

• September 26, 2013 at 11:43

Give it to Osbourne, he's got years ahead of him. Otherwise let the guy go and play football somewhere rather than waste his years here. Shittu shape up mate. Your only as good as your last game...

• September 26, 2013 at 12:17

Robbo does the job of two men at times so osbourne should be fine

• September 26, 2013 at 12:21

Osbourne might benefit from playing alongside Robbo, his biggest weakness has been his decision making and if Robbo can help him improve on that I think he has all the attributes to be a quality CB at this level.

• September 26, 2013 at 13:07

Has Lowry given up on CB or is he still banned?

• September 26, 2013 at 13:16

@PaulMcK: Last one for him on Sat.

• September 26, 2013 at 13:22

Lowery is left footed so should take precidence but he's too clumsy in my opinion.
    Shittu is so way off he needs to get his mind in order first
    Osbourne hasn't plated is quick therefore a good covering CB
    Robinson still a bit lacking match fitness but is trying to get there fast
    Leeds is going to be a baptism of fire for whoever plays

• September 26, 2013 at 14:16

@aeojt: Lowry is suspended. Is this bloke Lowery a recent signing?

• September 26, 2013 at 20:33

@Old_Les: Played all last year when not suspended

• September 26, 2013 at 22:40

Whilst we're on the subject, who is this OsboUrne I keep hearing about ?@Old_Les:

• September 27, 2013 at 13:00

@NICKOLA: Dyslexia has and will be here in my poests

• September 26, 2013 at 13:51

I recall Osbourne playing pretty decently up to getting injured against Charlton away last season. On top of that Shittu's recent form has been ropey, so give Ozzy his chance I say. COYL

• September 26, 2013 at 16:30

So many of you guys have forgotten how much we ALL wanted shittu to sign a new contract, give me shittu al day

• September 26, 2013 at 16:48

@mfcmike:
      Well to be fair the guy wasn't playing well before he was dropped. He seems to have lost pace - and he didn't have any to spare in the first place. Plus he hasn't been as dominant in the air as in the past.

But having said that I am pretty amazed at the sudden over-reaction which has seen him become about as popular as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip - not to mention the personal nature of many of the comments based on naff-all beyond a wee bit of tittle-tattle.

Equally, but in reverse, Jimmy has suddenly reverted to being God's gift rather then the deadwood virtually everybody was labelling him as only a few weeks back.

Here's the thing - neither bloke is blessed with enormous skill, both of them will work their socks off and at this point they are probably both useful squad players at this level. So far as Osborne is concerned the jury is out - most people last year thought he was pony but I thought he reached the heights of mediocrity. Either way he's got time to improve.

It's a near run thing and, just for once, I'm not inclined to moan whichever Lomas plumps for. But meanwhile I would quite like to see two wide players out there on Saturday (and no I don't mean Dunne and Malone).

• September 26, 2013 at 19:10

@mfcmike: ALL of us, really? Some of us didn't buy the Shittu t-shirt.

• September 26, 2013 at 16:47

Tel says:

September 26, 2013 at 16:46

f*** Shittu, the bloke is useless. Awful technically, slow, easy to turn round and this season isn't even doing the basics you'd expect of a centre half; heading and volleying.

So it's Osbourne for me, see how he does then stick Lowry in if he don't perform. Remember how worried the majority were when there was talk of Lowry going Celtic in close/pre season, he's had a couple of iffy performances playing out of position and we've chucked him on the scrap heap.

Fickle bunch you lot!

• September 26, 2013 at 18:27

The ideal player would be someone who has Osbourne's pace and Shittu's experience and physical ability, but if we did have such a player he would only be with us until January, so I would go with Shittu but be ready to change it if needed. Shittu was a rock at the back end of last season but that was then and this is now ! He hasn't had a great start this season but I would give him the nod. Whoever plays they will be aware that a ready made replacement is waiting in the wings which can only be good for the club in the long run.

• September 26, 2013 at 21:47

hes young hungry eager to keep his spot....watch him play like a hero