bestkinky

Robinson: Blackpool victory an important result for Lomas

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

PAUL Robinson hopes Millwall's pulsating 3-1 win over Blackpool has helped relieve the pressure on manager Steve Lomas.

Lomas was jeered during the Lions' 5-1 defeat to Derby County last weekend, but his side produced the perfect response on Tuesday night as they swept away the Tangerines – much to the delight of a raucous Den crowd.

Club captain Robinson, who returned to the heart of the defence, said: "It was an important result for the manager.

"He's worked very hard since he has been here. I'm delighted for him. I'm sure he will enjoy and savour his first three points, because they have been a little while coming.

"There have been a lot of changes at the club recently. When you have the same manager for six years, it does take a little while and there's a period of transition.

"Hopefully we can build on this result and give the manager the opportunity to start putting his ideas in place. It takes time to settle into a new way of working, but on Tuesday we showed that we are getting there.

"It was a big win. I am delighted for everyone who put in a lot of hard work. It's taken us a little while to get that first win, so it's a lovely feeling.

"We knew we needed to get our season started sooner rather than later. We need to make The Den a tough place for opposition teams again, and hopefully this was a big step towards that."

Liam Trotter's penalty cancelled out Tom Ince's opener for the visitors, before second-half goals from Nicky Bailey and Steve Morison completed the turnaround.

Robinson added: "After the disappointment of going behind, I thought we stuck in the game really well. The lads deserved that bit of luck with the penalty – I think we've been due a decision – and scoring it really gave us a lift going into half time.

"Morison's goal was an excellent strike and Bailey showed great technique with his volley."

12 thoughts on “Robinson: Blackpool victory an important result for Lomas

• September 19, 2013 at 08:50

Says it all really, new ideas and players take time. If Robbo thinks its ok, thats good enough for me.

Happy Days !

• September 19, 2013 at 09:00

Just look at his reaction in the picture - true Wall! I was beginning to despair with Lomas's opinion that Shittu was worthy of his place, denying Mr. Millwall his, in the process. Thankfully, he must have slipped when getting out of the bath on Tuesday morning and bumped his head. That's the only thing I can think of that could have caused the team re-shuffle - and thank god too. Jimmy, Trotts, Robbo, and Moro - welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside. (C'mon on then - what's the second line?!) Now for sucessive wins eh? Now that really WOULD be good 🙂

• September 19, 2013 at 09:17

Don't worry about that me old cocker, Millwall will be taking 3 points home this Saturday.
      @robsep2b:

• September 19, 2013 at 09:39

Is it a coincidence that Robbo is captain and we get our first win? Well, I don't think so. I've not posted anything on here since last week as I felt that everyone virtually had said what I was thinking. Agreeing that Robbo, Dunne, Bailey, Woolford, Waghorn and McDonald were superb. How McDonald can out jump defenders 2ft taller than him is beyond me? As for our Jimmy well, I don’t think I’ve seen him play like that for a long time. He was outstanding in my opinion and my choice of ‘man of the match’. I was however, a bit disappointed with Trotter even with his well taken penalty. I thought he still looks like he’s lolloping around and he gave the ball away once or possibly twice as he did against Derby leading to one of the five goals. I was also a little disappointed with his replacement Chaplow. Yes, I know he booted it up field to Morison who took his goal superbly but he looked out-of-sorts to me. I don’t think Malone need to worry about his place in the team as he looks far more comfortable in that position than Lowery ever did.
    I had to smile to myself when I thought of how the Blackpool fans on their way to the Den must have been rubbing their hands in the comfort of another three points and possibly a bagful of goals to take home. How quickly most of them left when Morison buried our third.
    We haven’t had any news regarding Woolford’s injury, so I just hope he’s good for the Anoraks game, although Martin did well for the last 10 minutes. I was one of those on here who didn’t want Woolford playing for us BUT I take it all back. I wonder what the Anorak spies at the Den on Tuesday reported back Powell. I guess we'll know on Saturday.

Come on you Lions!

• September 19, 2013 at 10:30

@REAL Supporter: Don't worry about Trotter, he has a deceptive style of play which looks casual, Phil Walker had the same style. Trotter has brains and is a good play maker, he makes that difference in midfield. I am not sure whether we need Conolly or Derry now. Osbourne and Feeney are just as good. Would save some money too if they are released.

• September 19, 2013 at 10:53

@Peckhamlad:
        Agree totally Peckham regarding Trotter. He is a very clever and very talented footballer. I have said before that all this new competion for places and added quality around him especially in midfield will only help him. I bet all our strikers would put him down first as their preferred midfielder to play with. I think there is a good chance that he will have his best ever season with us. My prediction is 12 goals. 1 down 11 to go. COYL.

• September 19, 2013 at 10:56

@Peckhamlad: Yeah, I know what you're saying about Trotter but I don't think he's the player he was this time last season. Not too sure about Conolly the jury is still out but Derry, yes, he can go now. Think he was very poor on Saturday and we don't need loan players who are not doing their bit like some of them last season.

• September 19, 2013 at 19:13

@REAL Supporter: can't judge Connelly on one game although it wasn't the best debut we still do not know how he'll do for us. I remember going to Wrexham on a Tuesday night and not paying to much attention to the announcer reading the team sheet all I heard was Lawrence I looked at my mate and said that ain't Jamie Lawrence is it no one really knew so we started signing he's got a pineapple on his head, the players came out and we couldn't see this CF Lawrence instead it was matty who had an absolute stinker the worst debut I've ever seen but he went on to do really well after that first game. My point is that to judge a player on one game is very harsh even if your proved right he should at least be given a chance to push dunney to his best.
          Agree about Derry though that's a luxury we're not in a position to have.
          Great to see the old guard back their best.
          Trotter ??????????????????

• September 20, 2013 at 07:57

@lukesmithmfc: Yes, Luke totally agree regarding Connelly. That's basically what I meant by saying that the jury is still out. From where I was sitting he looked quite exposed at times when Derby were on the attack and there were also a couple of times with misunderstandings between him and immediate players around him. Obviously, this is only to be expected as he only joined the club a few days earlier. I suppose all the time Dunne is playing (especially like he did on Tuesday) we'll not get the chance to see him play and take a more rounded view of him.

• September 19, 2013 at 12:46

What a difference a win makes , I can almost smell positivity ! If we play anything like we did Tues on Saturday , the Anoraks won't know what's hit 'em......

• September 19, 2013 at 16:34

well done robbo , done what a captain should do , TAKE NOTE SHITTU , and backed his gaffer , if the players are with him , then us as fans should be , tues performance tells me that , dont mess up lomas , keep that team together

• September 19, 2013 at 17:39

Well how wrong was !? Excellent MOM performances on Tuesday from Robbo and Alan Dunne and whatever their shortcomings in terms of finesse they made up for it with sheer heart and effort and a 'they shall not pass' mentality. Jimmy was everywhere and I thought Trotter played as well as he has for a long time.
      I still think Forde has concentration issues, surely a call to Beevers would have helped him out on the goal, plus those shots through a crowd always seem to leave him flat -footed, but it was heartening to see how, after concedeing a poor goal, the heads didn't go down.
      I thought Waghorn ran all night and gave an object lesson in how professionals behave - if you take the money put in a shift!. McDonald ran the centre half ragged and, although Morison played as we know he can, with the ball in front-of him, and his goal was Premier league class, it was against a tiring defence - so a good sub from SL. Ditto bringing on Chaplow - and playing him through the middle meant the 6 mins !!! of IT - we always get s*** refs- were coped with very comfortably for a change. Bring on the anoraks!!