bestkinky

Derby performance my worst in a Millwall shirt, says Bailey

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

NICKY Bailey has described his performance against Derby County as his "worst of the season" and admits he must improve when Millwall take on Blackpool.

The Lions host the Championship leaders tonight in a crunch match for boss Steve Lomas, who is under growing pressure after the humiliating 5-1 defeat to the Rams.

And Bailey is looking to bounce back from his own poor display.

"We have to forget about the game the other day, because it just wasn't good enough," he said. "Personally, I started the season alright but Saturday was my worst performance by a long shot, and I'm not looking to put many of those in again.

"I am aware of how I'm playing every week and I'm always honest. When people asked me how I played, I told them I wasn't very good. If selected against Blackpool, I know I need to get better.

"We are playing top-of-the-league and there will probably be a few lads low on confidence, but we've got to go out there, put our hearts into it and prove that we are good players.

"If you get given the shirt, you need to show that you care and do your bit for the team – even if you're having a bad game. That is a minimum requirement."

33 thoughts on “Derby performance my worst in a Millwall shirt, says Bailey

• September 17, 2013 at 07:35

No sh*t Sherlock

• September 17, 2013 at 07:56

Maybe, just maybe....we can get behind the team for once! I hate it when we're at home as a large majority of our so called fans act like spoilt little brats. If we're booing again after 10 minutes then we're never going to turn it around. A Millwall crowd "encouraging" when we make a stray pass or when Shittu falls over can act as major confidence booster! Yes, these are players who get paid a nice sum of money, but at the end of the day - they are human and can easily let their heads down no matter how strong minded you think they may be. I know a lot of Millwall fans that only support us as they think it gives them a reputation as a hard nut, whereas they're just fat overweight slobs who cant even lift a leg let alone have a decent opinion on playing football! I don't want fans to sit there and eat theire cucumber sarnies like man united tho! Gee the boys up, don't kick em when they're down! We are a Team, a Football Club, WE ARE MILLWALL!!!!

• September 17, 2013 at 10:23

@sketchybean: Well said, but at the moment Millwall are not playing as a team.

• September 17, 2013 at 11:47

@sketchybean: totally agree 1 million percent, lets back the team our team millwall the lions!

• September 17, 2013 at 08:11

I said the same thing the other week, but my patience is waring thin and I have paid good money to watch Millwall for years and cannot remember such bad feeling towards the players and manager. A win tonight will not be enough to appease the SL haters , er nred the players to step up and show us they actually care about playing for us. On this evidence I cant see it. The fans are entitled to show thier disapproval, not in the way they did on Saturday.

• September 17, 2013 at 08:18

Okay so your sorry that you played "so poorly" well you can make up for that by helping to get a win tonight and send those two Ince's back to decrepit Blackpool with their tails between their legs,
    It's not the last chance saloon yet,that's just a bit further down the Old Kent Road and the door is open wide, avoid at all costs, COYL

• September 17, 2013 at 08:24

Talk is cheap.

• September 17, 2013 at 08:40

Hopefully the 1-5 was the kick-up-the-a*** the team needed...anything less than 4-points from the next two games will see SL on his way out.

• September 17, 2013 at 08:43

Every player no matter how good has bad games throughout the season. But what isn't excusable and something which is in your control Bailey, is your constant moaning at other team mates/b********* of other team mates when people make mistakes!!

Several occasions on saturday Bailey had full on blazing arguments with other team mates, which lasted well more than the odd word. Its understanable frustration settled in, but having massive bollockings mid game is not what should be done.

YOU WIN AS A TEAM AND YOU ALSO LOSE AS TEAM. Witth Bailey picking out individuals this does nothing for the team whatsoever, every player is more than aware when they have f***** up!

• September 17, 2013 at 09:20

Bailey had an poor game Saturday as did Chaplow, in fact I still blame the midfield, largely for their inept first half display, only when Trotter was introduced did the midfield pick up but too late by then with 10 men.
    Don't expect miracles against a very well organised Blackpool side tonight. I agree with comments above that our supporters must support! However even my patience is wearing thin with SL's mystifying tactics. Hope he can put it right...I hope I can win the lottery too little chance of that either.

• September 17, 2013 at 09:40

I think the most important thing about tonight is that we finish up with 11 players. The last two games have been uphill because of sendings off. Whether they were deserved or not, the players themselves need to control their actions and SL should substitute if necessary if someone's on a yellow. He said himself that he saw Dunnies sending off coming before ir happened at Brighton - we have to ensure that we keep 11 on the pitch if we are to have any chance of turning things round.

• September 17, 2013 at 09:49

I was really pleased we signed Bailey and i still am as i think he could be a great player for us long term, Ok he had a bad game but at least he shows enough passion. I could see him Saturday moaning at Derry for passing back and sideways instead of forward, I'm sure he moaned at Chaplow for going out of position on a regular basis as well. He picked up the booking through frustration and verbal and knackered himself from making a tackle for the rest of the game. We lacked width on the right and the midfield just couldn't see the pass quick enough and got caught out regularly. We've got to get Trotter in midfield even if not 100% match fit as at least he has the vision for a pass as we saw when linking with McDonald and Waghorn. On another note i thought McDonald worked his nuts off and worked well with Waghorn when he came on. Waghorn looked hungry and ran the channels for support rather than crossing over the other striker, Give him a run and i think he will do well once 100% up to match speed. Rushing back again from work tonight to be there and hoping for a big turnaround from Saturday.

• September 17, 2013 at 10:01

LOOK THE PROBLEM IS THE GEEZERS GOT NO EXPERIENCE WHAT SO EVA HE TALKS THE TALK BUT COULDN'T COACH AN UNDER 10S TEAM ANY BODY CAN DO HALF WELL IN SCOTLAND BUT THE REALITY IS TAKE CELTIC OUT AND NONE OF THE TEAMS ARE AS GOOD AS WOKING.. THE BOARD HAVE MADE A BIG MISTAKE THE PLAYERS ARE UNFIT THE MANGER NEEDS TO F*CK OFF BACK TO ALBERT SQUARE JUST WHEN YOU THOURT BRADLEY BRANNING WAS DEAD HE TURNED UP AT THE DEN MY TEAM IS TURNING INTO A LAUGHING STOCK BECAUSE OF SOME WEST HAM SCUM BAG.. GET SOMEBODY IN WHO CAN TRAIN THE SQUAD TO DEFEND, PASS LIKE A TEAM AN HIT THE FU*KIG TARGET FOR F*K SAKE NOT SOME MICKEY MOUSE GINGER AR*SE HOLE WHO TOOK OVER TO BE CLOSER TO HIS FAMILY.. LOMAS OUT!!!

• September 17, 2013 at 10:57

Dont know if this has been mentioned, has anyone looked to see where Bolton are. They finished 7th
    and must be fancied to go up this year. They have more money than us, a tried and tested manager who left a succesful club who were playing well (sorry about that ). Ask yourselfs why , have they started so badly ?. He has had more time with his players than Lomas has. Football is not an exact science,l am afraid ther are personalities and egos to deal with. You are going to s*** me down, but l would stick with him, we played some super football, in the first ten minutes. Then the corner, then the foul, when the forwards give the ball away, the s*** punch by Forde, the bad marking and a screaming shot when we dont close players down, then the red card, Lowry was awful and l am a big fan, how many times has he done this. Managers pick the team, sometimes l will admit there does seem a lack of understanding, but that could be he is trying to make us play football, and the players aint got it yet. And if you are not asleep by now, the STALE comment, l believe refers to the so called better players we had, Henry , Keogh , Shittu, etc, took there places for granted because there attitude is s***.
    " Thats all folks "

• September 17, 2013 at 11:25

@sups8892:
      "That's all folks" that's probably Mr Lomas's last statement,

• September 17, 2013 at 12:40

@sups8892: I agree, especially about Bolton. I also agree with Bailey, trouble with his bad game on Saturday was everyone else with the exception of McDonald, Waghorne and Trotter had one of their off days as well. Some much worse than others! Sadly can't afford to go tonight, but will be listening in. COYL!

• September 17, 2013 at 11:18

I appreciate your honesty Mr Bailey, now I want to see some ACTION!

• September 17, 2013 at 11:32

Is it my imagination but watching Millwall taking shooting practice before the game is like pinning the tail on the donkey more often than not they miss the target, and that's without any pressure from a defender,
    I can't be there tonight but would appreciate some feedback.

• September 17, 2013 at 11:38

Lomas is not going to get as long to turn things round for obvious reasons,lose tonight and against Charlton the atmosphere is going to be sh@t . I say bring in Harris at least we know he wants Millwall to win,admit the wrong decision was made and move on before everything is completely fu@&ed. NH can't do any worse and wait for the right man

• September 17, 2013 at 12:43

@adzhaz24: I agree NH can't do any worse but personally I'd prefer him to manage us when he's ready.... if he took the job now he'd probably ruin himself and the club, his only management experince is a few games with our kids

• September 17, 2013 at 13:13

@adzhaz24: Please Stop all this Harris talk - Do you really think that Lomas doesnt want to win ? of course he does he just is not up to the job.

• September 17, 2013 at 15:55

@Steve: I don't think Harris is ready to be Manager now on a permanent basis but someone needs to step in if SL goes until we find another manager.In an ideal world I would like to see SL given more time but he was on a hiding to nothing before he even started and he will have to be one hell of a manager to turn all this round,to much bad feeling towards him which is not going to help.

• September 17, 2013 at 11:46

mate its not good enough an nor is Lomas the team isnt gonna gel over night but your not getting the picture 10 mintues of playing well in a game isnt good enough there not trying hard enough we all pay good money an the only player who puts that shirt on and plays as if he is in a war zone is robbo and hes on the bench.. how much longer are we gonna give him half of the players coundt score in a brothel at the mintue i think your forgeting we been dreadfull since pre season .. you can go on the card about gelling but watford had 16 new players last season an most of them wernt English.. Southampton have got a Manager who cant even speak too bob of English but something is happening on the training ground there cos they put the ball down and playing.. Truth is the Championship is a strong League and i think Lomas is well out of his a Depth Sooner the board realize that the better.

• September 17, 2013 at 11:58

Cant make night games, this is sh1t or bust tonight, for not only the team but for SL and the board who chose him in the first place.
    I'll await the result ---- Millwall do spring over the years suprises, this may be one of them --- fear for the worst tonight though, after all it's only a game of football, win some and loose some 🙂

• September 17, 2013 at 12:12

What we actually need is our strongest starting 11 playing a system which plays to our strengths and most important a defence who can defend set pieces. Its not rocket science, 11 men on the pitch playing for Millwall will actually get the fans behind them. Dropping their heads everytime we go a goal down is not being a Millwall player. The sooner they start having a bit of pride about who they represent on the pitch then the more the fans will get behind them. We still applaud a player for effort Scott McDonald on saturday worked his socks off, if the other 10 or 9 did then we would be behind them, but until then they have to take the criticism from the fans as well as the plaudits when we win. Its a man's game and they are paid very well for playing football, so come on tonight play for your pride and MIllwall, the rest will follow

• September 17, 2013 at 12:50

@sidcuplion41: Agree with all you have said Sidcup, a most of the above makes a lot of sense....but there just seems to be this turmoil happening at the club (I believe that Morison stormed off before kick-off Saturday as he wasn't picked?) which I gather we had the same sort o crap happen when KJ was with us. but at the end of the day whether its SL, or however it may be in the near future if all goes tits up for him, this group of players have got to step up to the plate and play. Yes the manager has made poor, poor decisions at times and we can all see what's happening, but surly the players have got to have a bit a pride in themselves to want this? we've all played football at all levels and its something that just happens, ..you wonna win! ...you could argue about money and all that BS, but the players that have moved on have all done well and scoring so whats going on!
      tonight is crucial...SL either becomes the second messiah from tonight on or gone...we are then in a whole mess of s*** if he goes and another season written off..lets hope its the 1st, not the latter
      cant be at the game tonight but get behind the team, not against them

• September 17, 2013 at 12:39

The Den is now the easiest place for opposing teams to come and thats down to the same reason its historically been the toughest place to come - the fans!

By getting on OUR players backs after 5 mins all you so called supporters are just making it easier for the opposition and harder for our lads to perform

Tonight I want to hear our supporters supporting our lads and getting behind the team - so what if we get beat?! but with us supporters behind them you can be sure the players will give 110%.... whilst they're getting a torrid time from their own fans are they likely to give it their all?! I certainly wouldnt!

I don't think SL is cut out to manage our club but that doesnt mean I'm not backing our players and I'd say our poor home form has more to do with us fans than many of you think!

• September 17, 2013 at 13:37

Ideas for the starting XI / formation tonight....?
    i'll start the ball rolling with this little number... looks a lot like Kenny's team though. (totally by accident)
    Im thinking the midfield should be tight but adapt to who is in possession of the ball. Trotter did well attacking on Saturday but he cost us two goals by a terrible pass and not defending properly. (i think McDonald let him know about that!) I think we were missing Jimmy’s legs on Saturday.
    The midfield was defo an issue on Saturday and Bailey's constant moaning didnt help. He is a very good player and has more class than most but something is not right. Tatics maybe?
    No Chaplow, Derry or Bailey… probably a wrong choice but I can only pick 11 and prefer to play players in their strongest positions and am attacking minded. Maybe Martin should have made the starting line-up...
    Anyway, have a look below and rip it to shreds as you see fit!

Forde

Dunne Robbo Beevers Malone

Jimmy
    Henry Woolford

Trotter

McDonald Waghorn

• September 17, 2013 at 14:07

@SE12Lion: I think Blackpool tend to pack out their midfield so possibly go with a 5 man midfield but if it was 4-4-2 you've got it spot on in my opinoon - we need to get players starting who know how to play at the den and gradually blood the new lads in.....

• September 17, 2013 at 14:47

@SE12Lion: I like your thought process only issue is SL doesnt like Robinson or Jimmy otherwise he would have used them in other games, cant understand his logic but i like a 442 at home against anyone with us behind them we can beat anyone on the night. SL must eat some humble pie and pick Millwall players that he didnt sign who have put us in this division with their hard graft, who will fight for the team and who have pride in wearing the shirt......some of his signings dont understand about what it takes to play for Millwall, until they do they will not be accepted by us

• September 17, 2013 at 16:02

@sidcuplion41: agree with you & Bomber SL must play a team that know how to play at the Den, SE12Lion's team seems to reflect that, the only change I would make is to play Moro instead of Woolford, Moro & Waghorn together Mcd behind 4-3-1-2 at least that would show he was going for it

• September 17, 2013 at 14:17

I'm working tonight, just hope they put in a decent all for one etc performance a nil nil would be acceptable under the circumstances. This for me is the litmus test for this bunch of players and Lomas. How they react and play is going to tell us everything we need to know. I can accept a loss as long as they all give 100 percent.

It's not just the losing its how you lose that's the Millwall way......come on you Lions

• September 17, 2013 at 19:40

I wasn't far off... so blame me if we do rubbish! ha ha
    "@MillwallFC: #Millwall starting Xl v @BFC1887: Forde; Dunne, Robinson, Beevers, Malone; Abdou, Trotter, Bailey; McDonald, Waghorn, Woolford. #COYL"