bestkinky

Millwall striker could be "thrown in early" against Blackpool

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

STEVE Morison could make his return from a hernia injury against Blackpool on Tuesday, Millwall boss Steve Lomas has revealed.

Morison has resumed full training after undergoing surgery three weeks ago and had asked to be involved in the 5-1 defeat to Derby County at the weekend.

Lomas did not want to risk the striker after such a short rehabilitation, but admits the Leeds United loanee may now make his comeback ahead of schedule against the Tangerines.

"Stevie is nearly back," Lomas said. "I would have liked him to have done a little bit more training, but we might have to throw him in early."

Another frontman pushing for a start against the Championship leaders is Martyn Waghorn, who scored on his debut against the Rams after coming on as a second-half substitute.

Lomas defended his decision to use Waghorn from the bench but hinted that the Leicester City loanee could be in his XI on Tuesday after his impressive cameo.

He said: "Hindsight is a great thing. Andy Keogh has scored three goals this year and is our leading scorer, Scott McDonald was excellent against Brighton and Martyn had only come through the door on Thursday.

"But I thought he did well when he came on under difficult circumstances."

18 thoughts on “Millwall striker could be "thrown in early" against Blackpool

• September 16, 2013 at 00:22

why when mcdonald and waghorn seemed click

• September 16, 2013 at 07:22

@jim1222: Jim, I think he will play all three with Trotter,Chaplow & Derry in midfield let Dunne & Malone push up on the wings, got to go for a win could be SL last game otherwise, Block 8 fancies a draw Tuesday night that result might give SL a stay until the week-end but curtains if we lose at the Valley

• September 16, 2013 at 11:31

@Weller: If you're right about going 4-3-3 we'll concede more than we did Saturday - SL should just do the decent thing and hold his hands up.... he's not cut out for this level yet!

• September 16, 2013 at 15:56

@TheBermondseyBomber: I still think there is a good team in there somewhere Bomb but I agree I would like to see him go, ST J said Tommy wright was the reason for their success over the past two years so they were not worried when S L went, that looks to be correct now, like to see SL go sooner rather then later

• September 16, 2013 at 00:34

i have defended lomas up to now,but if he doesnot start with mcdonald and waghorn then i will have to agree with the posters who are critical of his tactics. mcdonald has been involved in two really good goals from open play must start against blackpool

• September 16, 2013 at 06:52

We'll get a draw Tuesday night and beat the anoraks. I think my biggest criticism of Lomas so far is , he doesn't know his strongest team yet and hasn't played the same side twice.

• September 16, 2013 at 07:27

Maybe Morison could be brought on when we are 3 goals up !,
    Wall need a target man because all those old geezer's in midfield can only play in short bursts( sorry for the pun McDonald ),
    Waghorn or McDonald with Morison could show signs of improvement, lets face it things can't get any worse,

• September 16, 2013 at 08:25

Nearly ready is not ready.

• September 16, 2013 at 09:07

We have got no chance on Tuesday night. I've been keen not to write Lomas off but for me Saturdays match and result proved he is way in over his head. It looks like he's lost the dressing room too as the players don't seem bothered. I don't think we strung three meaningful passes together. Look at the teams we've played so far. None of them are overly spectacular but we keep getting turned over. I said I'd like to see how he fares after 8-10 games but I've seen enough to know he's out of his league. We will be out of this league if he stays much longer. Not even sure if I can face going on Tuesday.

• September 16, 2013 at 09:07

We have got no chance on Tuesday night. I've been keen not to write Lomas off but for me Saturdays match and result proved he is way in over his head. It looks like he's lost the dressing room too as the players don't seem bothered. I don't think we strung three meaningful passes together. Look at the teams we've played so far. None of them are overly spectacular but we keep getting turned over. I said I'd like to see how he fares after 8 - 10 games but I've seen enough to know he's out of his league. We will be out of this league if he stays much longer. Not even sure if I can face going on Tuesday.

• September 16, 2013 at 10:32

I predicted a 2-0 win against Derby last Saturday , how wrong that was. So am going to keep quiet and not tempt fate again. It will take a miracle to turn things around so quickly especially against Blackpool. It is no good for SL to say he intends to play Morison, if he cannot get the team playing consitently well. On Saturday it was fits and starts, passing the ball well for a very short ime but getting nowhere. The only time we managed to break through Derby's defence was when Trotter put though a decisive ball leading to Waghorns excellent goal. He is sharp and I think would team up well with Mcdonald. Millwall lack height up front though.
    It's make or break time for Mr Lomas tomorrow, and according to the Mirror will be gone shortly if Millwall lose tomorrow's game.
    I do not want to see Millwall lose again and just hope we can turn over Blackpool in order to get off the bottom of the table.

• September 16, 2013 at 10:42

Can't beleive that McDonald & Waghorn won't be starting tomorrow - along with Trotter, the frontline looked the best combination we have had????

• September 16, 2013 at 12:39

How could you even think about dropping McDonald? If was our best player on sat. By some distance... And waghorn scored on his debut.... Why bring morro back in? McDonald held the ball up well.... Sort the back 4 out and the defending for set pieces and we may give someone a game at them den sometime soon..... Here's hoping..... Come on the wall....

• September 16, 2013 at 16:22

It's a sure sign someone's told Lomas, you win or out you go!

Not easy against Blackpool but the woeful performances to date have brought that as inevitable.

Lets write off Lomas and start discussing the vacancy.

• September 16, 2013 at 16:48

So what if Morison is available. He didn't do anything before he got injured so why are we expecting the Messiah to suddenly hit form & gel? Not the answer. Agree with Jim1222 - Macdonald & Waghorn all day long.

• September 16, 2013 at 17:00

@NO1LIKESUS:
      I make you right on that mate.

• September 16, 2013 at 19:12

I would like to know WHY Lomarse is even considering bringing back a half fit Morrison when Maccy D, Foghorn Waghorn and The Trotts played well together for the final part of Saturdays game and we even SCORED A GOAL!

If Lomarse cannot see it then it says all you need to know about him and how bad a manager he truly is!

• September 16, 2013 at 23:26

a half fit morro ..........no thanks he wasn't good enough fully fit when he came back! it seems to me like he don't really wanna be here if im being honest. id play foghorn and mcdonald trotter just behind for some much needed creativity but i suppose it don't really matter we're f***** anyway right in the ear i don't see a way out of it either not in the foreseeable future at least im done trying to be positive im just kidding myself thinking it's gonna be alright coz it ain't and it wont be until lomas goes. i gave the bloke a chance or tried at least but enough is enough he's publicly shamed our loyal players or as he calls em stale, it's not on they are what he should be building a team around players who know the club and understand whats required and expected, i admit we needed fresh blood but we don't need to disrespect our long term servants of the club, especially by someone who's been here 5 minutes and f***** everything up !