bestkinky

Lomas hoping Millwall can convert performances into wins

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

STEVE Lomas is hoping Millwall can convert recent improved performances into their first win of the season against Derby County on Saturday.

The Lions are unbeaten in their last two league games after consecutive away draws at Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton, and Lomas is determined to keep the momentum going.

The visit of the Rams to The Den kicks off an important seven days for Millwall, who host Blackpool on Tuesday before taking on South London rivals Charlton at The Valley.

"We have two important home games coming up," Lomas said. "The away fans that have watched us recently have seen decent games and I'm sure they will agree the standard of football has been decent.

"The fans know their football and you can't kid them. The fans who travelled to support us in our last three away games will certainly say there are positive signs there, it's just about turning them into wins now.

"If we win on Saturday, it makes our point at Brighton look like a great point. Derby have some decent players, like all teams in the Championship, but we're at home and we want to get on the front foot."

Lomas has admitted he will consider utilising a 4-3-3 formation on Saturday, given that it worked so well against the Seagulls before the international break.

"It's something to think about," he said. "I used 4-3-3 in home matches at St Johnstone, and when done right it can be a very good formation that allows you to create chances.

"We'll have a look at Derby and make a decision. The good thing is the squad can change between a few different formations; we're quite flexible and we've got attacking options."

The standard of Millwall's football has been improving week by week, and Lomas believes his side have found the right balance between a passing game and being more direct.

He said: "Everyone has their own ideas about how the game should be played, but I believe football is supposed to be played on the deck. You have to get the ball down when you can.

"That is not to say a 60-yard pass, hit from back to front into a forward's chest isn't quality, because it is, so we need to get the right mix. I think there have been signs of that in the last four games."

30 thoughts on “Lomas hoping Millwall can convert performances into wins

• September 13, 2013 at 10:52

can we stop all the talking and just start getting up that table!!

• September 13, 2013 at 10:54

I'm confident that we will take 7 points out of these 3 games.......COYL

• September 13, 2013 at 11:21

@Davey: Hope your having a bet on that Davey, be a nice few quid if you are right and I hope that you are.

• September 13, 2013 at 13:44

@Barnlion: Always have a bet on The Lions, will make a nice treble

• September 13, 2013 at 14:23

@Davey: Davey you have not drawn much in the way of winnings this year then, so I hope your luck changes mate as the old bookies must be rubbing there hands when you lay a bet on the wall with the form they have shown over the last 9 months.

• September 13, 2013 at 11:24

9 out of 9

• September 13, 2013 at 11:58

Mr Clough says thanks for the heads up on your formation tomorrow. Really should keep stum sometimes.I am however looking forward to our first win tomorrow. Cmun you Wall.

• September 13, 2013 at 12:07

3-0. And by the end of the month we'll be arguing about whether we should be aiming for the play-offs or automatic promotion.

• September 13, 2013 at 12:21

@Micky Lions:
      Agree Micky. A couple of wins and everything changes.I do think that this squad if managed correctly ( That's what we dont know yet but I am giving him a chance ) can aim for a play off spot.

• September 13, 2013 at 13:07

Talk about state the obvious. But in fairness i went to the Brighton game and that was the best I've seen us play away since December! They just need to stop s******* themselves when their at home and build on our last 2 away league performances. There needs to be a balance going forward though, as Derby have got the counter attack down to a fine art whilst playing away so we need to watch that, especially with the lack of pace we have at the back.

• September 13, 2013 at 13:12

Last season we were looking at the likes of N'Guessan, Hulse, Marquis, Tyson, Abdou, Wright. Smith, etc. for our salvation. Now we have Waghorn, McDonald, Morison, Easter, Chaplow, Bailey, Connolly etc.,, This is a different class and there is no way these guys won't take us onwards and upwards. Forget the results so far, these players are good enough to get us promotion (if we manage to keep hold of them of course). So many sources of goals now, it won't be long before someone is on the receiving end of a big thrashing from us. Let' start with Derby - 6-0!!

• September 13, 2013 at 14:06

@Profiler4:
      I agree! Definitely 3 points on saturday! But as long as we keep a couple clean sheets then beat the anoraks i dont give a shyte!

• September 13, 2013 at 14:12

Some optimism on here as per normal with the new signings it's Friday before the game combination. The league table still says 5 games two points no wins. That in itself I find troubling and fear the answer lies deeper than two more players and an (slightly) improved performance against Brighton where my opinion is that the manager's tactics cost the victory - though that can never be proved. Let's not underestimate Derby they're a good side. Nothing less than 3 points will be satisfactory for me but it's far from a given and also need a better performance from the entire team - not so easy if there's a couple of fresh faces starting.

• September 13, 2013 at 14:30

@Old_Les: Les I know some on here think you dont big the team up enough or" not at all", but your are often right, and as you have said "there has been a slight improvement in last game". I as you are not sure about his team choice or tatics sometimes and I for one would not be applauding yet, not until they string together a few good results both home and away .

• September 13, 2013 at 15:02

@Old_Les:
      Hello Les. You could also argue that the managers tactics at Brighton was 2 minutes away from getting us all 3 points and we also lost Dunney with 15 minutes to go. I agree Derby are decent enough but they just got spanked 3 - 0 at home and we have had two away draws so nothing to fear in my book.COYL

• September 13, 2013 at 15:42

@wall2wall: 0-1 v Yeovil 0 - 1 v Huddersfield 0 - 3 at Ipswich - hardly setting the world alight was it? As for Brighton away I could argue the managers tactics put us on the back foot and playing to Brighton's only strength which is in the attacking half and I could also argue those very tactics brought Alan Dunne to the position where e committed a small but very costly foul. An idiot referee who couldn't wait to get a red card out is neither here nor there because I was seeing that attitude from referees v Millwall before there were red cards. Like I said anything less than 3 points v Derby won't make me happy but expecting to win and dismissing Derby simply because they lost 3 - 0 at home is the sort of complacency that bites you on the a***. Perhaps Lomas might bring himself to do a decent team talk and make sure he sends out a side with the right attitude. Not sure Lomas is capable of that any more than I'm sure he's capable of match winning tactics and changes but of course I truly hope I'm wrong.

• September 13, 2013 at 15:54

Les, I know you don't like to post your ideal team, but just for fun let's see your starting eleven for tomorrow......

@Old_Les:

• September 13, 2013 at 16:14

@NICKOLA: On the basis of v Brighton exactly the same side with Connolly for Dunna forced and instructions to James Henry to pull his finger out. Plan B a switch to 4 - 4 - 2 and attack the game with Derry off and Waghorn on with the midget and possibly Martin for Woolford and Feeny for Henry if he's being bad James.

• September 13, 2013 at 16:42

@Old_Les:
          I didn't dismiss Derby Les,I said they are decent enough.I Just stated that they just lost 3 nil at home and we have had 2 away draws which makes me feel better about our chances of beating em tomorrow. I dont think anyone can expect us to definately win after the start we have had but I feel better about things now than I did after 3 games.Hope we are both smiling tomorrow along with everyone else.

• September 13, 2013 at 16:38

Not a bad team at all.
    I'd like to think he's going to go with 3 strikers ie: McDonald, Keogh and Waghorn but think he'll ensure he doesn't lose tomorrow by playing one or two up front to bolster the midfield. As you indicate, I'm sure he'll change things around before the end. Not sure if Trotter is going to start but pretty sure he'll come on if on the bench.

• September 13, 2013 at 16:55

Lomas is clearly not very bright, he gives the press far too much information! You can't give out your tactics like he does

• September 13, 2013 at 16:59

I was just thinking that.
      Why don't we just text Clough our team and formation for tomorrow ?

@millwallhazza98:

• September 13, 2013 at 17:41

@millwallhazza98: He's Irish............and ginger. We're lucky he's able to do his own tie (I think he can)

• September 13, 2013 at 18:21

@Old_Les: Careful Les, you're describing my little lad there! Needless to say he doesn't get the either from my side! lol I see you're joining in with the championship manager postings as well, what's next, a compliment for Aldo? Dead right as usual about Lomas, still talking too much. Some ridiculous talk from others above about promotion, unless we go on a very long winning streak the chances, based on teams in similar positions to us after five games in nine previous seasons are slim to none.

• September 13, 2013 at 19:51

@lion.ie: My grandson is 3/4 Irish and ginger. As for Aldo some of the wine is very good at a much better price than Waitrose so I do go there sometimes. But most of the rest is s*** unless you enjoy cheap chocolate and massive bags of crisps - none of which float my boat but then I'm not the McDonalds generation. I think some of here must live on Big Macs - it'd would explain their cock eyed views and general lack of cohesive thought.

• September 13, 2013 at 21:13

Ouch Les, you do like to stir the pot, I'll give you that !!
            It's interesting for me to see different angles and opinions on here, let alone that some people obviously haven't grasped spelling and puctuation at a basic level but suppose that can be blamed on left wing governments rather than on Woolford or Martin for a change.
            I truly and utterly believe we'll do well this season. We're not presently where I thought we would be, but 9 points are coming up from the next 3 games. Let's see if that changes the mood on here !!
            @Old_Les:

• September 13, 2013 at 21:19

@Old_Les: Ha ha nice one, I wouldn't have my lad any other way and he supports England in any case because 'Ireland are rubbish', although....
            Aldi do good gin mate, I think it's called Old Hopking Cromwell Gin, although they leave the Cromwell bit out over here!
            I'm not sure how long SL can get away with this 'we are getting better and the win will come soon' B/S. Needs at least two wins from his next four.

• September 13, 2013 at 17:52

Profiler 4 THANK YOU for the laugh, if I needed the playarse you mentioned for my salvation I would need to see my shrink LOL.

• September 14, 2013 at 01:14

Waghorn has to be given a run in the team, otherwise why bring him in at all? Waghorn/MacD and Morrison or Keogh ad starting 3 uo front. Morro still has to get over his op so I reckon he will get half a game.