bestkinky

Millwall winger determined to rediscover form against Derby

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

JAMES Henry is hoping to hit top form when Millwall's season resumes against Derby County on Saturday after a two-week break.

The Lions winger admits he is yet to reach the heights he knows he is capable of so far this campaign, but hopes that is about to change – starting against the Rams.

And the 24-year-old has extra motivation to impress given that he has entered the final 12 months of his contract.

"I probably haven't started as well I wanted to," he said. "I started really well last season but you can't always guarantee that you are going to play well. I believe in my own ability and I know that eventually things will turn for me and I will start playing well again.

"I am in my final season so I have to earn a new deal. I did well last year and if I can pick up my form again, there's no reason why something won't happen for me. I'm just looking forward to getting more games and playing well again."

The visit of the Rams to south London is the first of back-to-back home games, with Blackpool to follow next Tuesday, and Henry says Millwall cannot afford to keep dropping points on their own patch.

"We are under no false illusions that it is a results business, and we've got two important home games coming up and we want maximum points," he said.

"We have to start winning at home, because every team needs their home form to be successful. We need to make The Den a fortress again, like when we were in League One.

"Derby will be a tough game. People thought Blackpool would be struggling this season and they're right up there already, so it's a crazy division.

"We've got to go into every game now believing we can win. There's a new manager and four or five new faces, so things take time to gel. Once they do, hopefully that will start reflecting on the pitch.

"We have played a lot better football in the last two games and defended better as well, all we're missing now is our first win."

12 thoughts on “Millwall winger determined to rediscover form against Derby

• September 12, 2013 at 01:29

Think Jh we start winning we will crack on, we have so much quality in the side, don't think we will lose many at the Den, so you need to gel fast and give us something back now, starting with Darby. COYL

• September 12, 2013 at 07:13

when Henry remembers how to cross a ball - things might begin to pick up a little!

• September 12, 2013 at 10:05

I agree - why does he take the same high hanging corner and why does every free kick and shot have to be taken with that strange bent-foot, toe-end flick - that's why he has so little control over the ball and it always swerves up and over the bar, swerve can be good, but you have to have some idea where the ball will end up, you cant just lash it. Is it completely impossible for him to just put his foot through the ball and hit it with his instep, straight and with some control - like every other footballer? And by the way the goal at Brentford was five years ago with precious few since - reason, see above!! Still lets hope he proves me wrong on Saturday - good luck to the bloke.

• September 12, 2013 at 10:21

Agreed. I think Henry has realised that Lomas is attempting to get the team to step up a few gears. Nothing like a bit of competition for self motivation especially when you're on your last 12 months. Wish him all the best and hope he will be the player this season we all know he can be.

@zampangry:

• September 12, 2013 at 07:55

What does it matter that he can't cross the ball there is nobody to head it in anyway, he might think about getting his shooting boots on as we need one of his rare goals badly, the pressure must be awful in training I just hope that they can keep their cool and stick one in early against Derby to ease the tension which will be affecting both players and fans alike.
    C'mon Dockers,Cold blow,and Kitchener lets give them a rousing start, COYL.

• September 12, 2013 at 07:58

Very players post we read all say the same thing ,it's coming together ,we just need time to gel !!!!!!
    WELL BOYS NOWS YOUR TIME. Lets start this weekend & send us home with smiles back on our faces .
    I am PI@@ed off taking s@@t from the vermin in my local so C O Y L.!!!!!!!!!

• September 12, 2013 at 08:11

At last Mr Henry you have admitted your poor form. Thank you for being honest. I just hope the squad have taken this break to go out and have a laugh and get to know each other properly . Obviously not the internationals.
    Looking forward to these two games ive been going cold turkey. COYL

• September 12, 2013 at 08:27

Yes now is the time to start performing we have had as much time as all the other teams that have bought and sold so there are no more excuses or time and talk of gelling the team,thats why they do training.
    So Wall and SL no more talk RESULTS

• September 12, 2013 at 09:13

2-0 to the Lions!

• September 12, 2013 at 10:36

James has never recaptured the form he showed a couple of years ago. However if he can cut out giving the ball away in forward positions and not neglect his defensive duties he might be the player of old. COYL

• September 12, 2013 at 10:36

A bit of honesty goes a long way and at least he realises that he has been poor. Has missed some sitters this season including a wide open goal against Yeovil that IMO cost us the game!!! All about bringing a positve attitude to The Den this Saturday and getting behind the lads wearing blue, hoping for a good performance... COYL!!!

• September 12, 2013 at 13:30