bestkinky

Millwall manager commends exemplary attitude of Woolford

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

MARTYN Woolford has set an example for the rest of Millwall's fringe players to follow, according to manager Steve Lomas.

Woolford impressed in the Lions' Capital One Cup loss to Nottingham Forest last Wednesday and was rewarded with his first league start of the season against Brighton.

And the winger took full advantage of his opportunity, scoring Millwall's goal in a 1-1 draw.

"Wooly didn't get a chance early on but he has had the right attitude from day one," Lomas said. "That's the only way you can be as a professional to force your way into the team and make it difficult for your manager.

"His attitude is to be commended. Of the players who have been out of the team, Wooly has been a shining light in terms of how to force your way back into the team."

40 thoughts on “Millwall manager commends exemplary attitude of Woolford

• September 3, 2013 at 12:00

Hmmmm. In other words, 'couldn't get shot of you yesterday, though I tried really hard, so now we're stuck with each other'.

• September 3, 2013 at 12:26

@NICKOLA: nik u do let your self down at times .the lad has done well the last 2 games he needs encouragement to keep going in the same form .good move by sl imo

• September 3, 2013 at 13:09

I wasn't including Woolford in that comment, as he found favour with Lomas before yesterday.

@jim1222:

• September 3, 2013 at 12:27

@NICKOLA:

I don't think Woolford was one of the ones on his way out Nicola. He played really well against forest.

• September 3, 2013 at 14:11

No he wasn't, and again my comment wasn't aimed at him but at the 'others'.

@roders:

• September 3, 2013 at 12:18

It's so good to have a naturally left-sided player in the team!!

• September 3, 2013 at 12:26

We've had a shithouse start to the season but I still have a positive feeling. I think we'll do well this year once the team gels.

• September 3, 2013 at 12:31

@millwalldownunder: with you on that, the goal we scored at brighton was first class ,if a premier side had scored it the commentators would really praised it so maybe sl is getting his points across,and more important the players are implementing what hes telling them at last

• September 3, 2013 at 12:37

@jim1222: i would like to add i think derry is going to be so important to our mid field dispite his age,

• September 3, 2013 at 12:40

@jim1222: completely agree he will be the difference this season brilliant player with a load of experience and a good passer of the ball

• September 3, 2013 at 12:36

I like his attitude, he gets in to good pisitions in the boxand he is probably our best option on the left side at the moment.

• September 3, 2013 at 12:42

he deserves a chance let's hope other players in the squad follow suit ! you have to play who is on form .

• September 3, 2013 at 12:50

@steveomfc5: its up to himself now he has the managers eye so he has to play with the pasion he has shown in the last 2 games.he has shown he has the skill to make room for himself on the far post.so passion and skill makes a good player. so wooly keep going as you are as i believe you can be a reall y important player this season

• September 3, 2013 at 12:54

@jim1222: you said it mate i hope he keeps up the good work i think we only have 3 or 4 weak players at this level and i don't think he's one of em tbh let's hope they all come together coz if they do there is no reason come the end of the season we can't be hovering around the playoff positions

• September 3, 2013 at 12:57

Must admit i was dubious last season on Wooly but to be fair to Lomas he has stuck to his word and given clean slates to all the players, difference for Wooly is that he has stepped up to the mark when he's been asked unlike Josh Wright etc. Just goes to prove that some players are learning form Lomas and others just seem to want a pay packet. Wooly wants his Wall shirt and if he continues to play with the effort and passion he has been already i'm sure he'll keep one. Note to all fringe players, stop picking up ya pay check or knuckle down and support and play for this great team of ours. Roll on 3 points against Derby.

• September 3, 2013 at 13:05

you know what it is so refreshing to hear the fans being so positive, despite the fact we have not won a league game yet!!! I reckon we need one more signing in a right back and we will be fine.

• September 3, 2013 at 13:51

'Deadwood', 'Deadford', 'league one standard at best', 'should never be a professional' to fans favourite in two games, that's got to be a record even for us fickle lot! (-:~

• September 3, 2013 at 18:04

@lion.ie: how can you say div 1 at best on his last games lets see how he performs in future games then he has stepped up a leval and should be applauded for it but all said and done his attitude has changed and he should be supported not knocked.as i have said before kj lost the dressing room and it looks like sl is getting the players onside so stop knocking and support the team as they seem to be going in the right direction.im with lomas because i think he is going to succede.

• September 3, 2013 at 19:01

@jim1222: I think he was quoting others Jim, not criticising

• September 3, 2013 at 20:10

@glyngo: Thanks for explaining Glyngo, I had thought that the quotation marks would suffice but........

• September 3, 2013 at 22:36

@lion.ie: This is a record...I say it time and time again...fickle. .right...now we have the squad we are going to have this season let us finally get behind these players. .you got what you wanted with DNG going, lets stop before we lose someone else that could really do good stuff for us. I predict if Derry has one bad game the chants of old git will start.
      I have liked Woolford since he came to us. He has scored a couple of important goals, so I for one am glad he's getting his chance.

• September 3, 2013 at 23:21

@ozeyn117: Fk me, do you not know what a quotation mark is or are you part of the txt gnr8tn? I've never said a bad word about Woolford, in fact I think that the only player I've ever slagged off on here is the man child DNG. And this from the bloke who was calling James Henry a lazy git and wanted him out a couple of weeks ago, really getting behind one of our best players. You're a fkin hypocrite.

• September 4, 2013 at 20:40

@lion.ie: difference is I still think Henry's a lazy git and yes your right I wanted jim out but now he isn't going anywhere I will support him just like anyone in a Millwall shirt. I put my hand in my pocket for this team and have done for years. I just hate it when the players are on the pitch the abuse they get is not doing any of them any good. Alsovused Henry as an example of this. You sit in a different part of the ground if you think he's the best player. But..he is here to stay as is the squad we have so I for am gonna support them.i was also in agreement with your comment about Woolford. So why the hypocrite s**t

• September 3, 2013 at 13:55

Surely all players should have the where withall to work hard and get into the first team not as a given right but through example, this would show up the slackers to the manager more so than the way we've been playing 'Theres no one to take my place so I'll play my game', Go on Wooly and kick others backside to get them to improve to.
    I feel were a long way out yet but improving very slowly, I suppose too slow for my liking

• September 3, 2013 at 18:05

@aeojt: im in absolute agreement

• September 3, 2013 at 18:10

their is a well known rock song with the bully bully in it.
      lets change it to wooly wooly to give him some encouragement and support.

• September 3, 2013 at 15:22

Wooly ?bet he`s the black sheep of the group.

• September 3, 2013 at 16:18

Now that Dany N'Guessand has unfortunately left us (The only player who found interest from other clubs) I wonder who the new "hate figure" will be amongst certain fans? I just get the impression that a few are more interested in moaning rather than say anything positive, about the chairman , the manager, the coaches, the staff and the players. I am sure all this negativity does no good. I wonder what SL's mail bag is like if some of the comments on this board are to go by?
    Thank heavens we do have the vast majority make positive contributions. Good luck to Woolford he is relishing his game at the moment it seems, so lets hope he keeps banging in the goals.

• September 3, 2013 at 19:04

@jim1222: I have said for some time that I don't think we have seen the best of Woolford, but he is clearly a confidence player and one sure way to watch him fail is to keep on his case. Only by backing him and giving him freedom to express his ability will we see the best of him

• September 3, 2013 at 19:01

Good boy woolford and well done stevie lo for going public with it. Now kick a few arses so we can climb the table rather than hold it up, it must be getting quite heavy.
    Slow progress is better than no progress.
    Have a good week or so off and come back all raring to go and pls get the home monkey off your backs.
    Happy shopping or whatever it is you'll get up to.

• September 3, 2013 at 19:23

So he should. I expect all mfc players to have the right attitude when they grace the blue shirt

• September 3, 2013 at 20:04

Good luck to Woolford , if his positivity and hard work rubs off on others , we'll be fine this season. We need 2 or 3 senior pros in the dressing room b********* the life out of any slackers when needed. We , the crowd don't tolerate it , neither should they.

• September 3, 2013 at 20:36

Nathan Tyson signed for Blackpool, that lad has a quality agent!

• September 3, 2013 at 23:42

@glyngo: post in the style of Victor Meldrew.....next David Moyles will sign Rob Hulse as backup for RVP

• September 4, 2013 at 10:01

The mans playing well deserves his shirt.

• September 4, 2013 at 11:08

Haven't been to any games this season so my view is pretty much coloured by what I read on here. What I find refreshing is Woolford's attitude. Maybe he felt hard done by, but he didn't let it show nor did he broadcast his thoughts to the world. He seemed to get his head down and work hard; in short, behave like a good professional. Good luck to the lad. Let's hope that his good form continues and that he (and we) reap the rewards.

Now contrast Woolford's attitude with that of Mr. DNG. Not sure that I need to say any more .....

• September 4, 2013 at 20:19

I don't rate him but he could be on the turn for us and I will be happy for him to come good!