bestkinky

Derry: Millwall's performance against Brighton near-perfect

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

SHAUN Derry described Millwall's display against Brighton as "almost perfect" after the Lions were pegged back by Leonardo Ulloa's late equaliser.

The visitors led through Martyn Woolford's well-worked opener but the tide turned when Alan Dunne was sent off for two bookable offences.

And Ulloa punished the ten men with a tap in at the far post in the dying stages.

But Derry believes a point against the Seagulls would prove to be an "excellent result" if Millwall can pick up their first win of the season against Derby after the international break.

He said: "It was almost the perfect away performance, keeping them quiet the way we did and then hitting them on the break.

"We scored a great goal and I am pleased for Wooly because he really deserved it. He's had a good week and capped it off by getting on the scoresheet.

"Back-to-back away draws in the Championship is very good, especially given the way we bounced back against Sheffield Wednesday and then took the lead against Brighton.

"I thought we contained a very good side and could have held on and won it. Then we'd be saying what a great week we've had."

Derry felt that Dunne's first yellow card, for time wasting, was particularly harsh.

"It was backs against the wall when Alan got sent off," Derry said. "I thought it was a pretty poor decision – he can feel hard done by. He didn't seem to get a warning for the first one.

"We were trying to slow the game down but at the same time players need to be warned along the way. It was his first time and he got a yellow card.

"We defended like trojans to be honest and everyone put their bodies on the line. We couldn't hold on but I think this would turn into an excellent result if we can get a win at home in our next game."

Whether Derry will play against the Rams remains to be seen, with the veteran midfielder now due to return to parent club QPR after reaching the end of his one-month loan deal.

He said: "I don't know what's going to happen next, that's in other people's hands, but I've put my cards on the table and I'm hoping to play against Derby."

45 thoughts on “Derry: Millwall's performance against Brighton near-perfect

• September 2, 2013 at 08:02

"Almost perfect"? I suppose it depends on your definition of perfect.

• September 2, 2013 at 09:18

Well 135 points obviously,

Win homes draw aways like he said win against Derby and that's a perfect set of performances. Not many teams win all of their games home and away. Dunnes sending off was ridiculous to say the least.

• September 2, 2013 at 11:12

Near perfect ?,
    I would just like to see a striker/forward whatever to score a goal to win a game then it could be
    "Perfeck" as Liam Trotters dad used to say,
    The Derby game is now all important as they got hammered by Burnley at home, if we can't beat them
    I'm afraid the writing is on the wall for Mr Lomas and the Lions,
    Two weeks to sort it out !,
    Sorry for being so negative but my expectations to finish 16th don't look so good now,
    COYL.

• September 2, 2013 at 11:21

Shaun Derry is happy with the preformance even though we let a lead go again and a player got sent off for taking to long with a throw in and a sloopy tackle, there was also the subs that he made taking off Chaplow and bring on Trotter (make you own minds up on that one), but the Brighton goal came from Trotter not closing his man down and allowed him to cross into the box and Jimmy to not get to the ball first.

So a prefect performace for some not for others but at least it doubled our points total for the season Shaun Derry must be estatic with that.

• September 2, 2013 at 13:45

@Barnlion: Sorry Barn, but unless I'm watching a different goal, Trotter is blameless. The fact that the ball went right through five Millwall players to an unmarked Brighton player at the far post might be a bigger question, Shittu on his backside. As for Dunne's sending off, two pathetic yellow cards from the referee.

• September 2, 2013 at 15:51

@lion.ie: Trotter did not close the man down as he did all afternoon closed no one down once he came on, and from that cross the goal came, so 1 Trotter at fault as the lazy midfeilder that he is and Lomas for the subing of Chaplow and introducing trotter, as I see it lion.ie

• September 2, 2013 at 16:18

@Barnlion: Well that's obviously not evident from the LP highlights as all I see is Abdou getting roasted and a defence that was all over the place for the goal, probably due to Dunne's sending off.

• September 2, 2013 at 16:29

@Barnlion: Just watched it again, several times. From your comments you obviously have a negative thing about Trotter going on but he was only on the pitch 19 minutes on his return from injury and he was in no way to blame for the goal.

• September 2, 2013 at 16:47

@lion.ie: Yes I do becuase he did not close his man down in the whole 19 mins he was on the park as he does in every game he plays for us (lazy man), and as far as coming back from injury he must have been fit enough to play or SL would not have picked him.

But you by the sound of it you are a fan of the player who puts as much effort into his game as his surname implys, as you seem to keep pressing the rewind to make your sure that you make point, but that does not change anything we lost the lead and 2 points and we have to dissagree about who and how is to blame but at leat we doubled our points total.

• September 2, 2013 at 17:02

@lion.ie: You seem to be offended in some way, not sure why mate. Neither a big fan or a big critic of Trotter and as I've said countless times on here, from 400+ miles away I bow to others judgment on players and games unless I get to see them for myself on TV. Sometimes being detached does give you a more balanced view though. I went back to look at the goal again in case I missed something and I'd be interested to hear if others thought Trotter was in any way to blame. What Lomas decides or does not decide is still a bit of a mystery to me, as it is to a lot of supporters.

• September 2, 2013 at 18:42

@lion.ie: I'll sum it up for you's as I was there.
            Trotter came on cause he was the closest thing on the bench in terms of technical ability to chaplow. Chaplow came off cause he was f***** due to the shift he put in, tbh I would have made the change aswell. They (brighton) play most of their game down their left, all game they were looking for that piece if play that led to their goal. It became easier for them because Henry who was useless came off and dunne got sent off so we had nothing on the right. Brighton clocked it after Henry's sudsyition so brought on lua lua.
            To blame trotter is absolutely unfair if you can blame anyone then perhaps Derry could have done more to protect abdou but even that would have been harsh.
            A really silly argument chaps and I take no sides.
            They would have scored anyway as they where battering us for fifteen minutes. All in all all of us would have taken the two draws in the last two games.

• September 2, 2013 at 11:22

I have tried to defend this guy from some on hear that are eager to get him gone. But i reckon he's a good players and has a good head on him and he has also managed to build a good understanding with Bailey in the centre of midfield which has arguably been our most solid area on the pitch. Him being there has also allowed Chaplow (Who has been our best player so far this season iMHO) to get forward and link up play, I don't think Chaplow would of been given so much freedom if Derry wasn't there. Also, a lot have said that we should let him go coz we have Trotter coming back, since when has Trotter been a defensive midfielder? It baffles me....it really does. If you want to free up wages, do it else where on the park. Don't touch what don't need fixing....

• September 2, 2013 at 12:47

Near perfect because you played and your contract is almost up?

• September 2, 2013 at 18:43

@NICKOLA: ?????????????????????

• September 2, 2013 at 13:08

Brian Granville in the times yesterday said we played the better football on saturday, worthy of a team much higher in the league, and he's hard to please

• September 2, 2013 at 13:18

@thecolumbusblock:I have a lot of time for him and he writes good and honest stuff, but this is Millwall and its results that we "want and need" at the moment the pretty stuff can come later, hard work and points is what is needed now. COYL!!!!

• September 2, 2013 at 16:19

@Barnlion: honest? he works for Murdoch (-:~

• September 2, 2013 at 16:58

@lion.ie: More so than what Trotter does to earn his money from Millwall

• September 2, 2013 at 17:51

@Barnlion: Ha Ha - nice one!

• September 2, 2013 at 13:56

@thecolumbusblock: A Millwall supporter that reads The Times is something you'd usually want to keep quiet about.

• September 2, 2013 at 14:08

@Profiler4: I like looking at the pictures !

• September 2, 2013 at 13:13

I think there is a proliferation of B/S coming from the Manager and players of our club at the moment. JB should put a gag on them until we have a couple of wins on the Board. Near perfect is a 6-0 win with perhaps a missed penalty. Two points from five games with some slight improvement. Four more games for Lomas and I think he needs a minimum of two wins to get some of the fans back on his side, otherwise, rightly or wrongly I fear it's just going to be a slippery slope for him with JB in charge of the length of the slide.

• September 2, 2013 at 13:23

TBH think we should keep Derry at least until mid season. Will take Trotter a while too full fitness and plus IMO his experence and leadership qualities will be needed. Have him over Josh Wright every day of the week!!!

• September 2, 2013 at 13:37

I'm very sure that Josh Wright will not be a Millwall player after today.

• September 2, 2013 at 14:05

@NICKOLA: Why the certainty?

• September 2, 2013 at 13:53

Bradley Orr-Blackburn right back-on his way to somewhere today. Millwall ??

• September 2, 2013 at 16:26

@NICKOLA: Just signed for Blackpool untill January on loan...

• September 2, 2013 at 15:00

Derry discussing with Lomas & Ambler an extension to his current deal till January....Alex can you confirm?.

• September 2, 2013 at 16:33

Jordan Rhodes maybe to Wigan for £6m+, we really are competing in a different league financially.

• September 2, 2013 at 16:54

@lion.ie: We will never be as bigger club as we'd like to be until we get a take over of some sort! Everyone is greatful for JB's investment over the past few years but we are mear minows in a ever increasing big pond. Its a shame but fact!

• September 2, 2013 at 16:55

@kempo_123: I agree completely, don't need telling, just reminding everybody re unrealistic expectations! (-:~

• September 2, 2013 at 16:47

Lets all hope that there is a desperate enough club to take the likes of Wright and Abdou

• September 2, 2013 at 17:03

I'm as disappointed as the next man regarding our results so far. I am however , VERY confident things will start going our way soon. No one seems to point out what a massive task SL has taken on. I'm fully behind him , his ideas and totally believe in his new signings. This time next month it will be a different story. Let's show some patience , belief and common sense. It's a tough job managing us at Championship level and you can't polish a turd , you can but roll it in glitter......In Lomas I trust

• September 2, 2013 at 17:29

@Block 8: well said block 8! With you all the way mate

• September 2, 2013 at 18:18

@el tel:
        Cheers , i'm just sick of all the doom and gloom. We all know we're s#it , we always have been and always will be. One thing I'm positive of is , we will finish higher than last season. That's progress in my book.

• September 2, 2013 at 17:18

Just for fun I thought it was about time I entertained/bored you with some new facts!
    In the last nine seasons 14 teams have had two points or less after five league games:
    Six were relegated (including ourselves in 2005/06)
    10th was the highest final finishing position (Leicester 2010/11)
    14th was the next best final finishing position (QPR 2007/08)
    19th is the average final finishing position
    67 was the highest final points total (Leicester 2010/11)
    34 was the lowest final points total (Peterboro 2009/10)
    49.5 was the average final points total

So we're not without hope but not good reading for those of you with lofty betting vouchers!

• September 2, 2013 at 18:27

What odds for scoring less than 55 points this season?@lion.ie:

• September 2, 2013 at 18:41

@glyngo:
        I don't know what the odds are but I had a spread bet and bought on 56 points at the start of the season on my mates sporting index account at £15 per point. Basically for every point we get above 56 I get £15 per point but I have to pay £15 per point for every point below 56. Anyone fancy taking the bet over for me.......

• September 2, 2013 at 20:14

@SingleWhiteLion: Purely from a betting angle I'd be looking for a way out of this bet, we are trading at 49-51 right now. As a Millwall supporter through and through we'll p*ss past 56 points, fingers crossed.

• September 2, 2013 at 20:52

@lion.ie:
            I'm not so sure we will p*** past 56 points now. That is what we got last year and included a 13 match unbeaten run when we had Wood on loan and was scoring for fun, but its early days. I thought SL brought in better players than we already had so the only way was up, lol. Still it could be worse, my mate is in for £85 per point !!

• September 2, 2013 at 21:17

@SingleWhiteLion: Neither am I convinced we will mate, but if I keep looking at the historical trends and our forecast of 50 points it just getsdepressing!

• September 2, 2013 at 19:54

@glyngo: They should be fairly good, Leicester got 67 points in the season that Erikson took over and the Thai business group bought them out of trouble. After that the next best points total from our current position is 58, Portsmouth in 2010/11 and QPR in 2007/08. Only one other team has beaten 55 out of 14. So Lomas needs to get his arris in gear.

• September 2, 2013 at 17:24