bestkinky

Report: Millwall 1-0 Rayo Vallecano

STEVE Morison's second-half penalty secured Millwall a narrow 1-0 victory over Rayo Vallecano in Paul Robinson's testimonial match at The Den.

Pape Maly Diamanka handled the ball in the area under pressure from the Lions striker, who took the spot-kick himself and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from 12 yards.

Robinson played 47 minutes on his special day and was given a terrific reception as his 15 years of service to the club, both for the academy and first team, were celebrated.

In the 10th minute, midfielder Roberto Trashorras's ambitious 40-yard chip had David Forde Forde momentarily scrambling across his line, but the ball sailed well over the bar. Moments later, Saúl headed straight at the Millwall 'keeper.

The visitors were enjoying the vast majority of possession but the Lions were still able to create chances, and it took a last-ditch interception by a Rayo defender to prevent James Henry from converting Morison's cross.

The attacking duo reversed roles in the 35th minute to carve out the best chance of the opening half – this time Henry fed Morison, whose shot from close-range was blocked by centre-back Álex Gálvez.

The La Liga side put together their most promising move shortly before the break when lively winger Johan Mojica picked out Nacho Martínez with a low cross, but the left-back drilled wide.

Robinson, still on the road to recovery after a long injury lay-off, was withdrawn from the action two minutes into the second half to a standing ovation from the 5,193-strong crowd.

Millwall fans were on their feet again soon after when, after Diamanka's blatant handball in the box, Morison stepped up and slammed the ball into the corner to make it 1-0.

And Mark Beevers was a whisker away from adding a second goal when his near-post header from substitute Liam Feeney's cross dropped agonisingly wide.

Midfielder José Carlos stung the palms of Forde in the 72th minute with a swerving drive, before Beevers headed over from Henry's corner at the other end.

In the dying stages, Saúl broke clear down the left flank but hammered his shot over the bar from a tight angle.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Robinson (Shittu, 47mins), Beevers, Malone (Lowry, 65mins), Henry (Woolford, 76mins), Wright (Smith, 84mins), Abdou, Chaplow (Feeney, 56mins), Keogh (N’Guessan, 87mins), Morison (Easter, 70mins). Subs not used: Bywater, Osborne, Shorey, Dicker.

36 thoughts on “Report: Millwall 1-0 Rayo Vallecano

• July 27, 2013 at 17:18

Good win.

• July 27, 2013 at 17:55

Was at the game & I'm afraid to say shittu looked well rusty, no sign of the 3 new boys McDonald,bailey,Martin ???, I can't believe that will be are starting lineup next week at yeovil, ......anyone else agree???

• July 27, 2013 at 18:22

Assuming they're fit, then those three you mention will probably replace Wright, Abdou and Keogh.

@mfcjon:

• July 27, 2013 at 18:11

Sorry meant to say at the den not at yeovil

• July 27, 2013 at 18:14

I don't think it was right for the lads who booed N'Guessan when he came on , yeah he acted a c*** against palace but there was something going on between him and KJ. Lomas wants to give him a chance and he wants to stay because he hasn't demanded a transfer request, I think he deserves a second chance I thought he was quite good when he first signed. Anyway not a bad performance from the lads looking forward to Saturday !

• July 27, 2013 at 18:45

Problem is that it's immaterial whether the issue was with Jackett or not. The real issue is that he was wearing a Millwall shirt.

@conor:

• July 27, 2013 at 20:06

@NICKOLA:
        I agree with you. We couldve lost that night giving us 1 point less and possible relegation. After the game why did he not try to repair some damage and applaud the fans regardless ? I say get rid personally.

• July 27, 2013 at 20:20

@NICKOLA:
        I agree Nic. It's not just the Palace game it's the contempt he has shown towards the shirt and the fans on several occasions with his attitude. I didn't boo but if he thinks we're all going to fall in love with him just because Lomas feels he deserves a clean slate he's in the wrong place. If Lomas can change his attitude his performances may get better. I'd prefer it if he just moved on to somewhere where they won't shout at him and hurt his feelings.

• July 28, 2013 at 09:20

@NICKOLA: Yep, and that he is being paid good money to go out and play. Get rid.

• July 28, 2013 at 09:44

@NICKOLA: yeah true, but he is still is wearing the millwall shirt, he could of f***** off after the palace game but it takes a bigger man to try come back and win us over again.

• July 28, 2013 at 21:49

@conor: I agree 100% SL urged the crowd to give Dany a good reception but the boo boys had to do the opposite. How is booing him going to boost his confidence? To make him a scapegoat is ludicrous because you can point to any game laste season when Millwall threw away vitsl points. The whole team had some poor games so blaming one player is pathetic.
      If SL has faith in him then the supporters should get behind him and the whole team.

• July 27, 2013 at 18:27

I don`t think we really learned much today.They knocked the ball around but did not seem to have much punch up front.Moro put himself about a bit,but we did not see McDonald,Bailey etc.Got a bit nigly in second half,but was just a friendly type of friendly.Expect next weeks team to be a bit different when we should learn more.Still think we need to thin down squad and get 2 or3 more in.

• July 27, 2013 at 18:49

It was a run out. I agree Shittu looked rusty, but the positives for me were Malone, Beevers, Wright and Feeney when he came on. I agree that DNG shouldn't have been booed when he came on, but I feel that he could have scored a hat-trick and still been booed. I think Lomas knew the strength of feeling with the crowd as he tried to encourage us to clap him.

• July 27, 2013 at 18:55

I can honestly say I did not think I would N'Guessan again in a millwall shirt at the den. I booed when he came as this was my first opportunity to show my disgust at his behaviour at the Palace game, as far as I'm concerned I have now displayed my opinion at that incident and its time to move and support the lads and that mean DNG as long as he is a millwall player, that does not mean I have to forget the incident. I think as a regular fan I have the right to show my displeasure.

Moving on to the game, I think we looked quite compact and passed the ball around well, more importantly than that though is that you really could see how much we missed a striker like Morison last season, not just because he tucked his penalty away but he also put himself about and seemed to link up well with Keogh.

Overall a good tribute to a modern wall legend. A clean sheet would be something he would have wanted from the game. We will see what the season brings but I'm certainly more optimistic this year than I was last.

COYL

• July 27, 2013 at 19:18

Please with the result and the turn out for Robbo. Boos could be clearly heard at D NGuesson should we give him another chance? Perhaps New at Den should interview DNG and let Him tell his side of the story whether he wants to wear the Millwall shirt or not?

• July 28, 2013 at 09:22

@bertie: Not interested in DNG side of the story. Get rid.

• July 28, 2013 at 10:17

@lion.ie: I was one if those that asked for DNG to be given a chance in the first team and I thought initially his performances were good. He did deserve to be dropped asvhe missed some right Sitter's and all that rubbish of not celebrating when he scored and then the Palarse farce was a slap in the face to the club and fans that supported him. I would like to hear his side of the story and if he admits he was wrong and apologises I would give him a second chance.

• July 27, 2013 at 19:23

What a shame there wasnt a bigger crowd for Robbo ,just saying.

• July 27, 2013 at 19:26

Feeney is playing with a lot more confidence since SL arrived and looks as though he could be suitable cover for Henry. Malone who was frozen out by KJ last season is also looking promising to such an extent that I don't think we need to sign Shorey as well. Wright also played well but this could be a one off. With Bailey, Martin and McDonald missing our strongest team still hasn't played and Trotter is still to come back as well. I think it might take a few games for all the players to get properly fit and gel together before we see the best of them. To me the added bonus so far is that SL seems to have rejuvenated some of the players inherited from the squad left by KJ.

• July 27, 2013 at 19:42

I thought Wright was poor myself but then I am not a fan at all, and Shittu when he came on wasn't on top of his game. Morison showed what we have been lacking. Chaplow looked what he is, a very good player. Feeney, as others have said looked a lot more confident. Was disappointed not to see Bailey, McDonald and Martin. We are being linked strongly with Paddy McCourt, who on his day is absolute mustard. If he can find form and fitness 'The Derry Pele' could be a great addition and a big favourite down The Den; the Celtic fans loved him.

• July 27, 2013 at 19:42

Took me boy to his 1st game today and he loved every minute of it
    Well the bits in between thinking the pre match warm was the game and asking "can we go home now" as they walked back in for their team talk and The final whistle. Glad we got a pen - the most blatant your likely to see for a long time - cause it gave him a chance to see it which Moro cooly slotted it to the keepers right into the bottom corner.
    Don't read to much into this game lads it was a testimonial (training) match although there could have been 2/3 red cards, josh wright took a lovely sneaky right hook to his left cheek, I must say I enjoyed his reaction as it showed a bit of balls and that he's up for the challenge ahead but he shouldn't have tried to nut the fella. Moro has lost none of the nasty streak as he too could have walked for a late stamp on the left backs foot. Good run out for the lads as we chased shadows up until the goal when rayo lost shape and discipline.
    Expect changes next week if the other boys are fit. Good to see Lowry get a run out. Shittu looked really top heavy and didnt have enough legs got left wanting a good few times.
    Jimmy got into the game a lot more as it went on, Henry not too bad, wright didnt do much wrong (haha) keogh ok, dunne emm we do need another right back but he didnt do much wrong, Moro looked good as did feeney and beevers, but dng yeah got booed but that's expected I noticed SL have a word with him before he came on and told him to acknowledge the crowd but again his body language was not right, I think it's lost, time for him to move on as I can't see things changing, shame but hey ho. Woolford ......................
    That leaves Robbo, glad to see the man back he had a good solid typical Robbo game
    Shame more didnt turn out for him but thanks for your service skipper and fully deserved your day.
    A little well done for the perfect minutes silence for the Spanish who lost their lives in madrids rail crash.
    Well done Robbo

• July 27, 2013 at 20:18

@lukesmithmfc: silly me I forgot chappers, he was our best player

• July 27, 2013 at 19:47

McDonald, Bailey and Martin were sat right in front of me behind the dugout in the West Lower, along with Marquis, Trotter and the youth players etc.
    They were all happy to chat and sign stuff for my son, (who is in a wheelchair) and one of the youth lads even took the program down to the dugout to get some more signatures for us, so fair play to them all and a big thanks from me.
    Bailey and Martin both told me (when I asked) that they were fit and ready to play a part today if selected, but Lomas "Didn't want to take any chances" and they were "Still bedding into the system".
    I got the impression that both of them (and McDonald) would be available for the Yeovil game, but (and this is just my guess from talking to them) maybe on the bench???

Best comment I heard from the players was "They do like a good f****** tackle down here don't they!"

• July 28, 2013 at 10:24

@Garrick: that's the side of Millwall that we'd all like to see more of in the papers

• July 27, 2013 at 20:27

F*** all the politics!, COMMON YOU LIONS!!!!

• July 27, 2013 at 20:48

I was well impressed in the Lions beating a team from Spain's top division but then found out MK Dons turned them over 4-3 and Notts County drew 2-2 with them. Lets hope the new signings are ready for Yeovil game, think we're gonna need them. COYL

• July 27, 2013 at 21:10

@WestKentLion:

I watched the Notts County game on a stream, and Rayo played ten times better today than they did against them, it really was just a training session for them they didn't make any tackles or run much at all, even their passing was suspect. Pretty sure they rested first teamers, but there were a lot more subs in that game.
      The MK Dons game was the day after the Notts County game, and it was more of the same so don't think either results are really comparable... sort of like our results at Brentford and Bromley?

• July 27, 2013 at 22:56

Any comments on Dickers performance?

• July 27, 2013 at 23:36

@Dazi: Dicker didn't play, neither did Shorey. Might be a sign that he is happy with Malone & Lowry at LB? Malone had a good first half, much more attacking than Lowry. Abdou was good today too. But best players for us were Chaplow & Beevers. The biggest disappointment for me was our left side of midfield. I hope Martins can make that position his own and can remain fit, as Woolford was again shocking. Good solid win though.....

• July 28, 2013 at 08:36

@Windy: Seemed strange we had two trialists on the bench,but neither came on.Has SL seen enough of Shorey and Dicker to make his mind up about them?

• July 28, 2013 at 10:35

@Windy: I personally would like to them both signed to add more strength to the squad. And as for Woolford; GET RID

• July 28, 2013 at 11:13

@Dazi: I agree about Shorey, he has shown over the years that he is a class act especially at championship level. But is Dicker better than Abdou? Not to sure about that with what I have seen and heard of him. We definately need to bolster our left side a bit, I fancy Rowe from Peterborough or Paddy McCourt maybe(I know he's right footed but he can play on the left) and he Is a flair player which we don't have at the minute.

• July 28, 2013 at 21:56

It was a great atmosphere and a rousing reception for PR. The team looked rusty still and needs sharpening up. I feel the midfield was the weakest department and perhaps when Trotter is back will be more creative. Feeney looked sharp when he came on and sent in a couple of wicked crosses. The defence did well overall I think Shittu need to lose a few more pounds! I am not sure whether SL has decided on his formation yet and may well take a while to settle on his best line up.

• July 29, 2013 at 09:43

There is another game this week behind closed doors at QPR, where I expect the new boys will get a run out. If they missed some of the pre season work then they will not be as fit as they should be but I don't expect it will be long before they are in the team. At the end of the day, pre season friendlies are part of the fitness work, and not too important. I remember a year or two ago we lost all pre season games and went near the playoffs.

• July 29, 2013 at 22:42