bestkinky

McDonald determined to continue prolific form at Millwall

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

SCOTT McDonald is relishing the challenge of becoming Millwall's top scorer this season – and bettering his goal tally of 13 from last season.

The new Lions striker, signed on a free transfer from Middlesbrough, has scored one goal in every three games throughout his career – and knows there will be big pressure on him to continue that record at The Den.

But the Australian international has shrugged off the expectation on his shoulders and tipped Steve Lomas' side to be one of the strongest attacking forces in the Championship.

“Pressure does not bother me," he said. "I came to Middlesbrough with a high fee, and everything that came with it, and there was pressure there when the club was spending a lot of money. That's part of your job – you take it on board and deal with it.

"I will be aiming for more than 13 goals this season. Everyone says I scored a good amount last year but I am so used to scoring that many up in Scotland for Celtic that I will be disappointed if I don't get more.

"If I can pick up from where I left off, I am sure this can be another successful season for me. That’s not to say I won’t have to work hard because we’ve got some quality strikers here already in Jermaine Easter, Andy Keogh and Steve Morison.

"Competition for places is going to be tough but that will bring out the best in all of us.

"We've got the ammunition and the people to provide – when Chris Wood was here last year, he was scoring plenty of goals. That shows that the team is keen to put the ball in the box and get people on the end of things.

"We didn't really have that style of play at Boro, but I believe the forward players can thrive here. I think that makes us strong contenders in the division."

McDonald is set to feature in Paul Robinson's testimonial match against Rayo Vallecano at The Den on Saturday (kick-off 3pm), which will also be Lomas' first home game in charge.

Lomas said: "We're hoping that we can get some of the lads through 90 minutes, but it's not as straightforward as that. We had a training game on Tuesday and we've got another one lined up next week for the boys who are catching up on their fitness.

"I want to win every game but the most important thing is we get another run out leading up to Yeovil on August 3. We want everybody to be fit and healthy – that's the main objective. In pre-season, you can't get too carried away whether you win or lose."

61 thoughts on “McDonald determined to continue prolific form at Millwall

• July 25, 2013 at 08:27

will be graet to see who will be top scorer got Morison down for 20 this season, f*** me how many are we gonna score this season

• July 25, 2013 at 08:41

Three times what we're going to concede hopefully !

@Strood Lion:

• July 25, 2013 at 08:52

@NICKOLA: lol, Nick, who is next mate?

• July 25, 2013 at 09:17

Well, got the last one wrong, but very happy to get McDonald. Still think he'll sign Davies though.
          From what he's said recently, I would think that he's now earnestly looking at full backs. Whether he's going to splash some cash, bring them in on loan or get Shorey on a one year contract for a start is anybody's guess.
          The interesting thing for me now, is that the new action is going to be who's going out. Marquis on loan which is good but the others-that most of us agree on- must be aware that their time is almost up. Abdou, Wright, Woolford to name but three.
          Going to be interesting before August 3rd to see some movements and after the 3rd, some very unhappy players who didn't make the 18 squad vs Yeovil.

@Strood Lion:

• July 25, 2013 at 08:30

We would not have been in for or had a chance of getting a player like McDonald a couple of years ago.Without Wood in the side last season we did not look like scoring most of the time,but with Morison,McDonald and Bailey I would expect us to be much more potent in the goalscoring stakes.Looking forward to Saturday.

• July 25, 2013 at 09:10

Well Bristol City have accepted an offer from Blackpool for Davies..... We dont care, we've Moro & McD!!! COYL

• July 25, 2013 at 09:47

I wouldn't swap Church for McDonald.
        Let Charlton have him.

@bertie:

• July 25, 2013 at 09:57

@NICKOLA: I think McDonald is a better goalscorer than Church and Davies - and he is far more experienced

• July 25, 2013 at 10:14

I did fancy Davies but on reflection, I've got to say that out of the strikers we've been linked with that McDonald is the best.

@TheBermondseyBomber:

• July 25, 2013 at 09:19

although we seem to have a great forward line now, a great midfield which both are very attack minded, i do worry about the defence tho, with shittu & robbo not up on pace & dunny a bit hit & miss i feel we might be too attack minded & leave ourselves wide open for the ball over the top, or even the counter attack, i feel we definately need a right back as smithy isn`t a replacement for dunny imo, lets hope for every goal we score this season we don`t concede 2 like blackpool did in the prem 2 seasons ago.

• July 25, 2013 at 10:00

@mfcjon: Karleigh Osbourne's quick - he can operate at RB but beyond that I dont see any competition for Dunney at the moment or Lowry at LB (even though he's not a LB!!) Full backs needed for sure! I'm happy with our CB options though

• July 25, 2013 at 11:23

@TheBermondseyBomber: If Osbourne ends up playing at full back you can forget any talk of promotion. His performance there against Middlesbro was beyond inept. Unless SL and his backroom team are completely confident about Robbo's fitness, we need another centre half.

• July 25, 2013 at 12:13

@lion.ie: Im more concerned about a left back.... Lowry, Shittu, Beevers and Robbo with the option of Osbourne (who I think will come good!) is enough at Center half.... surely? but whats the score at LB? is Shorey coming in?! we going with Lowry there still with Malone to provide competition? Think we need Full backs more than center backs myself

Are we being greedy though???

• July 25, 2013 at 12:35

@TheBermondseyBomber: Yeah, if Robbo stays fit? We might have another Ledley King on our hands though! I'd love the Shorey of a couple of years ago but wonder why he's not in more demand now? I'm sure Lomas is looking given the last few weeks and after 40 years of mostly hurt being greedy is fine by me, just good to see some ambition.

• July 25, 2013 at 09:24

people crow on abt wood yep he scored 11 goals on loan well dichio was just as good in 04 till he became permanent . wood hasnt exactly set leicester on fire has he. now mcdonald is an out an out goalscorer did it at motherwell when bothe big two were in the top div . and 13 goals last year in a woeful side did they lose more than us.

• July 25, 2013 at 10:10

beevers and shittu were excellent last season thats what kept us up im not bothered about the defence but think if shorey is available on a low wage then we should sign up to add depth to the squad

• July 25, 2013 at 10:48

Great work to sign all these quality players, but like others I'm worried about our lack of pace in defence! Dunney has just had the best season of his life but he was still giving away sloppy free-kicks and isn't the quickest player. I'd like to see us sign versatile players like Nathan Ake on-loan from Chelsea as he can play in Midfield and defence.

We have Malone who is hitting form in pre-season as an attacking left-back, I'd sign another Full-Back and maybe Shorey.... but we need to get players out of the club whether that's on-loan with a recall if we have some injuries or for the whole season.

• July 25, 2013 at 11:06

@Bradders: Bradders, Cant see Chelseawanting to loan players here after George Savill getting all the splinters up his a**e last season, clubs let players out on loan to get game time and to learn their trade, young George got hardly any of that here last season, so why would Chelsea loan us anyone.
      I hope that I am proved wrong though and Jose lets us have a few crumbs from his over flowing table.

• July 25, 2013 at 11:25

@Barnlion: I see what you're saying Barnlion but it's catch 22 with loaning players out to lower league clubs.... For instance Nathan Ake is currently (in training) playing alongside David Luiz, John Terry etc so is learning from the best but if he then went to a Yeovil or Doncaster he would play every week but the players he is playing with aren't great to learn from.

It's also very dependent on the style of football Jose wants these youngsters to play and will try and find a club similar to that with players Nathan Ake can learn from (Danny Shittu, Robbo) yet have some game time but not a lot.

• July 25, 2013 at 12:54

@Bradders: Bradders I agree with what you are saying and I hope your right and we can get some quality on loan and if they come and they are good enough then there old enough.
          But what a difference 3 months can make just after the Semi's all seemed gloom and doom but SL has come in like a ginger tornado and transformed the place, lets just hope the new dawn lives up to all our expectations.

• July 25, 2013 at 11:21

@Bradders: what happened to frazer Richardson. one minute he's training with us, the next he's gone. I would have thought he was a useful player to have on board for full back. Or am I talking out of my ****?

• July 25, 2013 at 11:26

@Profiler4: I completely agree with you but he is up with Middlesborough training now, not sure what went on there but could have been a useful player for us especially at RB.

• July 25, 2013 at 11:28

@Bradders: Playing centre half is not all about pace. Reading the game and positional sense is more important. Unfortunately, IMO, Shittu lacks pace and particularly positional sense, Beevers as well.

• July 25, 2013 at 11:41

@lion.ie: There was a couple of games where they looked solid as a pairing and others not so, but you have to remember Beevers is only young (for a CB) so still has a lot to learn.

I'd like to see Lowry at CB for a while to see what he is like and sign Shorey IMO.

Think he will only keep getting better with games and Shittu is a man mountain whose technical ability is league 2 at best but can he head a ball and boy does he have strength to match.

Although if we have 1 guy who is the leader Shittu or Robbo then at this level we should be looking at guys with pace and some positional sense.

• July 25, 2013 at 12:25

@Bradders: Lowry was impressive in the game he played at CB. Probably his long term position given his decision making when faced with pace out wide! Beevers should improve and I've got nothing against Shittu but if anyone needs an example of both of their positional frailties just look at the first Wigan goal. No way Robbo would have been MIA when Maloney scored and Shittu was on the half way when they got the second! He too often goes and gets involved where he's not needed. I'd love us to sign St. Ledger, he never got a run at CB on loan but is quality at this level, although he seems to fall out with Managers quickly if Wikipedia is to believed!

• July 25, 2013 at 11:36

I think Malone and Lowry will cover LB, I am not sure we need Shorey as well. RB is the worrying position, Dunney/Smith will not strike fear into the hearts of the oppo unless Dunney can continue his development from last season and continue getting forward and creating chances both for his teammates and himself. I like Smith but again, I don't see him as a frightening fullback, Adam Smith would be nice signing to have for the season....he will have learnt a lot under KJ last year and hopefully be a bit more defense minded.

• July 25, 2013 at 11:42

@glyngo: After watching Spurs yesterday, they'll need to keep all the defensive cover than can!...lol

• July 25, 2013 at 12:18

@lion.ie: Hahaa!! that pitch was a joke!

• July 25, 2013 at 12:26

@TheBermondseyBomber: Same for both sides though, Dawson and Friedel kept the score down, could've been very embarrassing.

• July 25, 2013 at 15:46

@glyngo: Dunneys 30 odd i dont think hes got any development left in him, its a case of what you see is what you get now, need someone to keep him on his toes or give him something to think about

• July 25, 2013 at 13:52

Oh dear heavy rain and thunderstorms predicted for London all day Sat, hope it does not disrupt travel and the game. I have to travel 140 miles..

• July 25, 2013 at 14:01

@Peckhamlad: It's funny as time goes by how us Millwall fans seem to move further and further away from the team we love!

I grew up in the area but live in Hampshire so some 80mile commute for me! I used to live literally opposite the ground and what a sh**hole that place is now! Can't wait for the new development around the ground to be built will look plush and hopefully push our attendances up somewhat.

• July 25, 2013 at 14:15

@Bradders: You're lucky! Try an hour to the airport, flights to Gatwick and then train to London Bridge, overnight accommodation e.t.c. e.t.c. - no wonder I don't have a season ticket! Gonna try to get over for a few games this season with my six year old though, so that I don't get classed in the Wembley glory hunter bracket again! lol

• July 25, 2013 at 15:29

@Bradders: As long as it is not yuppified! I lived in Peckham most of my life with a thriving working class community where everyone was friendly, now like parts of Bermondsey and Southwark parts of it are becoming "gentrified". Thankfully Millwall retains its community roots, let the yuppies go to Crystal Palace or Fulham.

• July 25, 2013 at 18:33

Do Yuppies even exist any more 😉 I thought they died out with mullets and shoulder pads?@Peckhamlad:

• July 26, 2013 at 09:35

@Peckhamlad: I know exactly what you mean, Bermondsey has become somewhat up-market and even has a gallery, what the F**k is that about!! When I lived round there the community spirit was great but it seems London (well the parts where I lived (Bermondsey & Southwark) has completely changed now, either Chav's/benefit busters or the complete opposite posh tw**s, none of that good old community spirit.... don't worry I'm not a Yuppie and will always be down the den singing my heart out on a Saturday afternoon!!

• July 25, 2013 at 13:53

When SL was appointed Manager the main priority he was given was to sign more attack minded forwards and midfield players. Now he has done that doubts are being raised about Dunne, Shittu, Beevers and Lowry in defence. I agree that Smith isn't ideal cover for Dunne but Malone seems to have done well at Left Back while Lowry has been injured so why do we need Shorey as well? If we signed Shorey he won't to warm the bench once Lowry is fit but Malone might be happy to be second choice because Jackett didn't use him last season when Lowry was injured or suspended. He played Beevers or Alan Smith out of position at Left Back. If we find that we need Full Back cover as the season progresses then bring some youngsters in on loan. The Centre Back positions are well covered with Shittu, Beevers,Osborne ,Robinson and Goodman.

• July 25, 2013 at 14:08

@denslions: I don't think the doubts about the defence are new Dens, not in my case at least. When everybody is fit and playing in the right position it's quite a solid unit but with limitations and IMO we need somebody else a bit different. It's great to have such a competitive midfield now but if the centre halves are lumping the ball forward over their heads.........

• July 25, 2013 at 14:14

@lion.ie: I agree, this is where Lowry comes in! After playing as a Left Back against some quick opposition he now has the experience of being able to play the ball out so would happily play Lowry Centre back (rather than spending out on a new player) sign Shorey and have Malone as a back up..... now just need a RB and to get rid of Woolford

• July 25, 2013 at 18:20

@Bradders: I think you talk a lot of sense - if SL fails to deliver this season do you fancy a job?

• July 26, 2013 at 09:38

Cheers @Profiler4 I think it's simple really all this management malarkey 😉 haha.

You only have to look at the other teams to see each team has a big player and a player with pace up front and we could easily be caught, so instead of having 2 big guys why not go with the pace of lowry and shittu or Robbo? Pretty much common sense.

• July 25, 2013 at 15:50

Going to be a real force last year and a fair few now tipping us for promotion! Lomas is really improving this club! Not forgetting what jackett did for us, we were in a mess when he left us! Think he moved at on at the right time for the club

• July 25, 2013 at 18:01

Who are we gonna kick out CB position if Lowry goes there then? I'm content with him LB .. Only place we should get a new defender is RB then Dunne as. a back up. As for smith as much as I respect him , time to move on pal!

• July 25, 2013 at 18:13

2 weeks ago, the defence was ok. dont u all think we are getting abit greedy . best wall squad for years.cant wait for saturday. COYL!!!!!!!!

• July 26, 2013 at 09:40

@DiggerWall: I don't think it's greed mate, Lomas has said he wants to sign more players, so people are now giving the opinion that if we are going to improve now it maybe should be the defence.... a RB would do for me but if we do have the chance/dollar I'd sign Shorey and get rid of one of our CB's and have Lowry as a back-up Centre Back or LB.

• July 25, 2013 at 18:27

Looks like Steve Davies is in talks wirh Blackpool after they had a bid accepted...so whos next I wonder ?

• July 25, 2013 at 22:34

@millwallphil: I think you must of mis-heard its not Blackpool, it was reported that Steve Davis was going for the black ball. haha

• July 26, 2013 at 07:16

@Sealion: @Sealion: very good ..never thiught if that one made me lol...

• July 25, 2013 at 19:42

I'd be happy for Woolford to stay. Think it is a bit unfair to judge him on last season as he came into a very poor midfield and a side in free fall. Fresh start and now he's got better players around him, he like Feeney could be good squad players.

Only player I think should go is Wright. Bit too powder puff for me.

• July 25, 2013 at 23:27

@roders: roders I'm sorry mate but I really can't agree with you on woolford.
      At the start of last season we where a really poor side, Alan Dunne was our only recognised right back at the time.
      I seem to remember the Brum game at home 3-3 after being 3-0 up early doors They came back into it and I was blaming feeney, KJ made a change and took feeney off but it became evident that dunne was actually the problem, the following week KJ brought in Adam smith and dropped dunne it was no coincidence that that signing coincided with our upturn in performances. We know what happened at the end of the season, smith was dropped and dunne came back in like man possessed cause he wanted to play and make a good contribution and to show people he can play a decent consistent standard of football.
      I went up to Bolton and witnessed woolford's debut, it was nothing special he done all the easy things well like pass to a team mate when you have the ball but that was all he done. The games that he played a part in after was pretty much the same. In all my life supporting wall I cannot remember a winger who was scared to take anybody on, maybe phil barber but as s**** as he was noone can deny he had a peach of a cross on him. Woolford is terrible he can't beat a man, he can't track back when needed to, he doesn't try to get the ball back when he gives it away, his positional sense is non existent and he always stands on the halfway line I don't know if his crossing is any good cause I can't remember him doing it. He has no fight for the cause in him which IMO is the minimum requirement for a proffesional footballer.
      Only my opinion.

• July 26, 2013 at 09:45

@lukesmithmfc: Alright Luke calm down 😉 never seen someone so passionate about wanting a guy to leave.... I thank Woolford for 1 thing.... his goal away against Middlesborough, that's it no more than that.

Thanks and Goodbye Woolford for me....

• July 25, 2013 at 19:48

Another cracking signing . . But this also reiterates what a waste of time it was signing easter . . He ain't up to it and probably won't get a sniff of a game now

• July 25, 2013 at 20:37

goals, goals and more goals, defence HA HA HA. other teams will be s******* themselves just trying to defend against us we want need a defence. Its a great saying. Score more goals than them and you win every time . COYL

• July 25, 2013 at 20:58

Exciting times but lets see where we are at Xmas. If we are top 5 then we can all start giving it large.
    COYL

• July 25, 2013 at 23:07

@WestKentLion: wont be giving it large even if were top 6 by april aw how quickly things can change this season, quiet optimism until we win every game we can

• July 25, 2013 at 21:33

Goalkeeper Denzel Gerrar has signed a pro deal after impressing in a couple of pre-season friendlies.
    So now we've got Denzel and Trotter, all we need is a Rodney

• July 25, 2013 at 22:45

@Lonz: is that a Rodney or will a Dave do

• July 25, 2013 at 22:44

Cracking signing and cracking lad

• July 26, 2013 at 09:45

Let the good times roll on.

• July 29, 2013 at 11:46

Starting to actually look forward to this season now, Lomas seems to have a plan 🙂