bestkinky

Brentford performance not good enough, admits Smith

© Nicky Hayes
© Nicky Hayes

JACK Smith said there were no excuses for Millwall's second-half performance in their friendly defeat at Brentford.

The Lions conceded three goals after half-time as they were resoundingly beaten by the League One side on Tuesday night.

Trialists Nicky Shorey, John Paintsil, Lee Croft and Lee Cook all featured but Smith did not feel an unsettled side was a factor in the result.

He said: "We're not used to playing with each other but it's always easy to make excuses when you lose. They're Premier League players and it should be easy to play with them.

"Shorey's played for England, Paintsil's played for Ghana and Cook has played in the Premier League and had big moves. It should be easy for them to slot it. We can't use that as an excuse and we know the performance wasn't good enough.

"These games are to help build up our base fitness and get the rustiness out and blow away the cobwebs. If we beat Yeovil on the first day of the season everyone will forget about pre-season results.

"Obviously you don't want to lose – you want to give the fans something to look forward to, which we probably didn't after Tuesday, but it's still early days."

Utility man Smith is hoping to nail down a single position ahead of the new season, having often been used to plug gaps in the team by former boss Kenny Jackett:

"In training I've been playing right-back, midfield and centre-back," he said. "I haven't spoken to the new manager one-on-one about that but maybe I need to, just to clarify things and see what he thinks.

"We're getting a lot of players in so you want to nail down a position that the manager knows you can play in. Given the squad we're accumulating, it's going to be even tougher to get in the team on August 3."

22 thoughts on “Brentford performance not good enough, admits Smith

• July 18, 2013 at 12:03

think you will bo on youre way mate so dont bother sitting down with SL to discuss your preffered position

• July 18, 2013 at 12:06

I respect smith a lot but I don't know if his future is with millwall unless his happy to be a back-up

• July 18, 2013 at 12:13

Valuable squad member in my opinion. Never lets us down

• July 18, 2013 at 12:17

He works hard, I like the lad but he's not technically good enough! the fact he has a high work rate (which he needs given how shocking he is at football) and his versatillity will probably mean SL will keep him around but I wouldnt call him a valuable asset to the side

• July 18, 2013 at 12:28

Don't press SL too hard about a fixed position because you may find yourself fixed in Div 1.

• July 18, 2013 at 12:43

Jackie boy, Wake up and smell the coffee !!
    You aren't going to be playing at centre half or midfield on august 3rd.- Have you see who we've got playing there now ? Wouldn't hold out too much hope at right back either.

• July 18, 2013 at 12:50

The most he can hope for is to stay in the squad as right back cover for Dunne unless Paintsil is signed permanently before the start of the season. Then it will be goodbye Smith when his contract expires.

• July 18, 2013 at 12:53

Looking back on last season I cannot believe Jack Smith ever played Centre Mid, especially after some of the players we have signed/signing this season... maybe in Sunday League football you might ask your Right back to play centre mid but wouldn't expect it in the championship (even ahead of Josh Wright)....another moment where Jackett had lost his mind.

• July 18, 2013 at 13:32

Here we go again. A player who gives 100% every time he wears the shirt being treated with utter disrespect by posters on here. Some of the same people who think DNG deserves another chance. He played CM last year, out of position but he was effective in some matches albeit not outstanding. All I see above is one of ours giving an honest assessment of how tough he expects it for him and other players to hold down a place next year.

• July 18, 2013 at 13:43

@lion.ie: I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing for Wall, I'm saying he isn't a midfielder which he isn't and a much better Full-Back.

I wouldn't want him to go as he will always be the guy who works his nuts off for the team week in week out so haven't got no qualms about having him as a back-up.... but if we did sign Pantsil and Shorey could you see Smithy getting in front of them or Lowry or Dunne?? If not, is it actually worth keeping him?

• July 18, 2013 at 13:52

If he can have a dig at his fellow professionals, then I can give my honest opinion regarding his chances of making the first eleven. My statement was meant as that. I've got nothing against him personally, he works hard but technically is wanting.

@lion.ie:

• July 18, 2013 at 20:26

@NICKOLA: Read his quote again Nickola, he is saying that the team/squad should be able to accommodate players of this stature rather than having a dig at the individuals. Besides that, everyone on this site is entitled to their opinion and we are never gonna agree with everybody all of the time. What disappoints me is the lack of respect for our own players, the ones that deserve it, and the same applies to potential signings, if they are not signing on the dotted line on day one of a rumour they are vilified for it. I don't contribute to the other Millwall sites, I haven't read The Sun in 30 years so don't qualify, but I wonder why any player wants to join us sometimes given some of the stuff written (I use the word in its loosest form). It's a shame when this site starts heading down the same route. That's all I'm saying.

• July 18, 2013 at 13:52

Smith is not the best player we have ever had but he is a player who gives his all, certainly is not the worst we have had and certainly deserves some respect for his efforts and loyalty. Give the guy a break as you know even if he is not first in line or play he will give it everything if he is called upon. I like him and wish him well. If he does not get another game because of other signings so be it but don't slate him for trying.

• July 18, 2013 at 16:24

@tallchap18: Nobody is slating Jack for his effort but if we wish to improve there is no room for sentiment better quality players are being brought in. I think he has a better chance than poor old Jimmy but times move on, unless that is people are happy with the sort of performances we had last year.

• July 18, 2013 at 15:05

@lion.ie: played well to be fair to Jack. But for me he is right back cover him and Dunney are on a par, if Pantsil is interested and playing to form he would get the nod I recon that will leave one of the other stalwarts surplus to requirements. Jack would get another club no bother.

• July 18, 2013 at 15:16

Jack is a technically good player, good first touch and control, can make a pass as well, but I have to be honest and say that he is not really good enough to nail down a position at the moment. I think he could be a good right back if he can develop his attacking game. As for Paintsil and Shorey, till they are our players they are out of the equation.@Lincolnshire Lion:

• July 18, 2013 at 13:46

I do y k ow how the bloke is playing in the championship!, nice bloke and tries his hardest but that doesn't help the cause.

• July 18, 2013 at 15:39

Smith is one of my favourite players. He is more technically gifted than all of the defenders we had in the squad last season and he works hard. His performances in midfield should be discounted - that's not his position and God knows why Jackett played him there. I would always have played him ahead of Dunne, although Dunny has upped his game a bit now. Smith is a player who should stay.

• July 18, 2013 at 17:24

Yeah, beginning of last season I would have agreed with you, but Dunney came back nto the side and really solidified that side of the pitch. Young Adam Smith got found out away to Brighton when they brought on their winger and ever since he looked vulnerable. @junkmale:

• July 18, 2013 at 18:19

I think Jack Smith will find himself at a League one club later this season. He has a lot to offer in the same way T Craig , Tam Mkandwire and Chris Hackett do at a lower level. He will never be one of our more able players in this division. But, I wish him all the best this season.

• July 19, 2013 at 04:30

ps he looks like a snooker player, not a footballer!