bestkinky

Chaplow turned down "four or five" rivals to sign for Millwall

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MIDFIELDER Richard Chaplow has revealed he rejected interest from up to five Championship rivals to join Millwall on a free transfer.

Chaplow, whose existing deal with Southampton was cancelled by mutual consent last week, has agreed a two-year contract with the Lions and will put pen-to-paper on Tuesday.

Speaking from the club's training ground, Chaplow said:  "I had quite a few clubs interested in me but Steve Lomas made me feel wanted. Four or five other Championship clubs were dragging things out but Millwall really wanted me, and that made up my mind.

"The other clubs were interested but didn't make any firm offers, and because Millwall were so positive that made me definitely want to sign.

"The chat I had with the manager was a short one – there was no nonsense. He told me exactly what he wanted from me and where he sees the team going. It was exactly what I wanted to hear."

Former boss Kenny Jackett, now head coach at Wolves, was reported to have failed in an eleventh-hour bid to snare Chaplow from under Lomas' nose.

But the midfielder said: "I gather http://vhealthportal.com/product-category/antidepressants/ Kenny put in a good word for me at Millwall so he wasn't by any means trying to hijack the deal.

"I think he made an enquiry at the last minute, but at that point I'd already agreed things with Millwall and I was more than happy to put come back here for a second spell."

The 28-year-old says he is keen to make a fresh start, both on and off the field, following the recent death of his baby son Teddy Noah.

"I've had a bit of a rough couple of months with the family, losing our little boy, and off the back of that I asked the chairman at Southampton if I could move on," Chaplow said.

"He was very obliging with that and helped that happen. You can't really express what it's like, and it isn't something you ever want to go through. Everyone I've spoken to has been so helpful and it's shown me how kind people can be.

"The grieving process is going to be a long one but we felt, as a family, that moving clubs would help us with that."

60 thoughts on “Chaplow turned down "four or five" rivals to sign for Millwall

• July 15, 2013 at 13:53

What a ledge, I cant see anything other than a great signing here and a future firm favorite with the fans....I watched he's lion player interview and he comes across like a genuine, likable, salt of the earth kinda boy.

I wonder what position Lomas see's him in midfield?

• July 15, 2013 at 14:20

welcome RC you have made the right choice. look forward to seeing you in a Millwall shirt again!

• July 15, 2013 at 16:23

@Strood Lion: Well he is unless he has a bad game and the fans get on his back. Then his life will be hell

• July 15, 2013 at 14:35

Nice bloke and a great signing. With players of his calibre signing its onwards and upwards. Welcome to The Den!!

• July 15, 2013 at 14:38

Trust Jackett to stick his nose in at the last minute. Chaplow has made the right decision coming to us. Next one please.

• July 15, 2013 at 15:09

@NICKOLA: Nick it properly is poor old KJ "the king is dead long live the king".

• July 15, 2013 at 15:31

Got that right. I was never a fan of Jackett and was one of the few who wanted him out. He's already made a bid for Waghorn who I think would be foolish to go down to League one when he could be part of Millwall. If he wants some of the s*** he brought in to Millwall he can have them but not our targets thanks very much.
        @Barnlion:

• July 15, 2013 at 15:48

@NICKOLA: Nick I make you right, I thought he had run his course at the Den and the last third of the season I thought he should have gone, he did not keep us up but it was results else where.
      I would also like him to take more than just Gallen he would not let DNG go to Charlton so he must fancy him he bought Woolford and Malone (didint they play well on Saturday) "not really" bad both of them.
      The problem KJ will have is that he has a team in Div 1 and who have been falling like a stone, but thats not our worry is it.

• July 15, 2013 at 16:13

I think the writing's on the wall for Woolford. Can't see him around for much longer.

@Barnlion:

• July 15, 2013 at 14:49

Welcome to MFC Richard you will do great here. The club wants you and you are already a favourite of the fans such is the impression you made in your brief spell here. You will fit in well you have the ethics and ability to be a legend good luck.

• July 15, 2013 at 15:23

This will be a great signing. Trotter now has competition which will make him a better player.

• July 15, 2013 at 15:31

saints fan . a real pro hard worker who can score goals , one of my fav players

• July 15, 2013 at 16:27

Good luck Richard and welcome to Millwall.
    Deepest sympathies on the loss of your baby Boy.
    COYL

• July 15, 2013 at 16:30

@WestKentLion: That's the type of thing that will help him bond with the fans. We already think he's great, now he will find out how great we are too

Welcome Mr Chaplow

COYL

• July 15, 2013 at 16:29

Is there a forum for fans who are not right wing t******?

I've tried a few but they always boil down to the same old cobblers

Find this millwall related story amusing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23316810 how can he deny it?

• July 15, 2013 at 18:20

@Reg Burrs Coat Peg: I think this is the forum you are looking for, Reg. There is one on here but he gets shut up regularly. Unlike HoF this site is about football and you can express an opinion on it without some knob putting their racist slant on it

• July 15, 2013 at 20:52

@junkmale: beware Trojans bearing gifts lads, I do wonder if some comments get posted just to see what reaction they get......

• July 15, 2013 at 22:05

@glyngo: not by me, I'm long gone from HoF
          Couldn't take it

• July 16, 2013 at 09:29

Glad to hear it Reg, after the SKY investigation/sting sshowing that large media are willing to use our club as a easy target, we all need to be careful that our comments aren't taken out of context. @Reg Burrs Coat Peg:

• July 16, 2013 at 10:00

Because he thinks he's a celebrity and more important than you or me. The tabloids are full of people like him. Never mind he could have killed someone. To plead not guilty is utterly pathetic. Did someone else pour it down his throat ? Give us all a break please.
      @Reg Burrs Coat Peg:

• July 15, 2013 at 16:31

Have been Wall for over60 years and have never looked forward to the start of the season as I do now. .S.L making all the right noises and looks like he has got the players on board onwards and upwards C.O.Y.L

• July 15, 2013 at 16:43

With the signings SL has made to date plus hopefully another striker before the start of the season we now have a Championship rather than League 1 looking squad. Still need to get rid of a bit more of the deadwood though.

• July 15, 2013 at 16:52

@denslions:
      We can't just get rid. Someone else needs to want them or we are lumbered until end of contract

I can't see us buying out someones contract, just to get rid.

• July 15, 2013 at 16:51

Deadwood stage.........This one's for you Ascot Lion....about your era !!
    Think of Lomas instead of Doris Day and all the players you want to say goodbye too !!

• July 15, 2013 at 16:53

what a teriffic signing this is, this guy really can play

• July 15, 2013 at 17:30

Welcome aboard chaps
    And deepest sympathies to you and yours over your loss. Been through SIMILAR so know how your feeling.
    You would have been told and heard loads of different story's about wall but now you'll experience what it REALY means to be wall
    welcome to the FAMILY and the best club in the world.
    Oh if your wondering if the story's are true about us well, yes mate, they're bang on.
    COYL ; )

• July 15, 2013 at 20:38

@NICKOLA: cheers nick
        Thought I'd lay low for a couple days
        It's looking good mate.
        Bailey next I hope and a better purchase than waghorn

• July 15, 2013 at 21:34

Looking good.
          Bailey yes, Waghorn is young and can only get better and at the price range quoted would be a very good bit of business. Rather him than Harewood for sure.

@lukesmithmfc:

• July 16, 2013 at 07:36

@lukesmithmfc: Yeah, where you been Luke? Missed you mate.

• July 15, 2013 at 20:15

@lukesmithmfc: hi Luke. Short post? Where are my nightly essays?
      Beats talking to the misses!

• July 15, 2013 at 20:46

@bonnie1272: haha ha
        Writers block Bonn lol
        Give me a week or two and I'll get it sorted mate.
        It's quite interesting reading what everyone else has to say for a while
        quite a mixed bag a couple weeks ago but a lot seem to be taking to stevie lo
        Recon it'll be a very interesting couple weeks on the transfer front, don't think SL is finished yet 2/3 maybe 4 more

• July 15, 2013 at 22:18

@lukesmithmfc: I do believe that us what Nik's crystal ball is predicting.

I'm also in tune with the revolution to be fair!

Can't wait, wetting me knickers already. Shame I'm on my holibobs for the first couple of games, but hey ho!

• July 15, 2013 at 17:43

Let's hope this is another good signing. SL is certainly a man of his word- he said he will make 4-5 signings and has done so. The real test though will come during the season when Millwall are behind in a game and what he can do to turn it around.

• July 15, 2013 at 20:14

@Peckhamlad: agree with most sentiments on here. Just remember, we are notoriously slow starters so let's not get on his back too quickly!

• July 15, 2013 at 21:27

No slow starts this year..... Have some faith !!
        Top six by December and then pushing on.
        My Northern mate told me recently that the perception in the Manchester area is that Millwall are a 'proper' team, miles away from the prawn sandwich brigade and I'm happy to be part of that and this revolution that's taking place before our eyes. But then...I did want Jackett out. Nuff said.

@bonnie1272:

• July 15, 2013 at 22:31

@bonnie1272: Could not agree more, yet there were a few on here who were moaning about the squad SL played against Crawley! (Strangely quiet now)
        I am positive that SL will do a great job.

• July 15, 2013 at 19:00

MIL!

• July 15, 2013 at 19:01

MIL!!!!!

• July 15, 2013 at 19:01

MIL

• July 15, 2013 at 19:08

Zhang chendong striker. Poor scoring record but seen it on a few a rumours sites, 170k was with ac milain as a promising youngster worth a punt, fanbase network the lot mite come good somthink to prove low wage, I swear are teams on par with cardiff and swans prem here we come

• July 15, 2013 at 21:44

Don't know this guy but I think we should be trawling the lower leagues to unearth the next gem. Cascarino came from Crockenhill for example. What Millwall have also GOT to do is to make a name for themselves as an academy that actually gets players into the first team, which has been sorely lacking in the last few years. That's a work in progress. There's enough talent in our catchment area, we just need to snare them.

@Hayes:

• July 15, 2013 at 19:09

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F hatrick against sporting

• July 15, 2013 at 19:16

Welcome to the pride Richard. You have joined the most passionately supported club in London. If you give us 100% we will give you 100%. Now let's take the p***!

• July 15, 2013 at 21:46

Another great addition from Steve Lomas - was impressed during his spell here last season brought that sense of creative spark that we lack in the midfield area. As with most of the comments here, we are in agreement that Lomas has not put a foot wrong so far and has the fans right behind at this moment in time. I think you will see that sense of optimism at the Yeovil game and if we can get on a roll especially at home expect us to be the dark horses this season. Onwards and upwards! COYL!

• July 15, 2013 at 21:58

I think the difference this year is that if DNG starts playing like a t***** for example, then unlike Jackett who pulled him off, that Lomas will kick him out of our club. I know that all the players currently under contract want to play, but they can't, and real competition is going to be key here. I've personally seen many facets of Millwall Teams, some excellent and some royal crap We're all used to broken promises, plugging a seive with total crap so the expectation is somewhat guarded. Not for me it isn't- We've now got a manager who actually knows what he's doing. Some very good new players and more to come in. It's a good time, it's going to get better so let's all drop the negativity and this reservedness, Millwall are going to be a force this season, no relegation worries this year just onwards and upwards. Believe that like I do and you'll be rewarded.

@tomfoster09:

• July 15, 2013 at 22:15

@NICKOLA: I already have my money on promotion. Maybe a little optimistic but we were s*** last year and still never finished that far away from the top.
        COYL

• July 15, 2013 at 22:36

@NICKOLA: I think the difference is that DNG will come good and show a transformation..as long as everyone gets off his back.

• July 15, 2013 at 22:22

John Marquis scored one and made one during our 2-2 draw with Canvey Island tonight.
    According to a mate who went, Onyedinma looked a cut-above - Niall McManus got out other goal.
    Millwall: Marshall, Siafa, Bender, McManus, De Havilland, Goodman (Nelson 80), Webb (Thompson 66), Onyedinma (Farrell 85), Marquis (Pavey 66), O'Brien, Penney.

• July 16, 2013 at 12:17

@Lonz: Fred is going to be an absolute player for us, just hope he gets minutes in the 1st team this season!!

He could be worth a few bob after a couple of season and would still only be 18... frightening!!

• July 16, 2013 at 04:16

I have no doubt marquis can score against convey island but still long way off giving many championship centre halves many sleepless nights not sure if he's gonna make it with us which is a shame needs loaning out to league 1/2 for season then make a decision on him

• July 16, 2013 at 09:12

@Millwall1979:
      What's interesting is that he played against Canvey Island in the first place.
      This either means SL feels he needs games, or he's already decided that Marquis is not part of his plans for the start of the season at least.
      I like Marquis, he scored a few goals when he first came into the side and his link-up play is improving steadily. He's definitely not the finished article, but a loan spell in League One and Bomber's influence could help him develop into a striker with real potential.

• July 16, 2013 at 08:39

My first post so treat me gently, really love this site so thanks to everyone who makes it possible,like most of you im unexpectedly excited about this season, Morrison and chap low fantastic signings , havent seen enough of Martin to comment but mick wouldnt let to many good un's go id have thought. I know for a fact that kenny wants Lowry lets hope it doesn't happen and the bailey thing just goes on and on , lets hope it does happen!

• July 16, 2013 at 10:06

Welcome to the site. McCarthy is just like any other manager, he makes good and bad decisions in the transfer market-as he did when the Millwall manager. Let's hope he's made a bad one here in letting him go.

@thecolumbusblock:

• July 16, 2013 at 10:56

@NICKOLA: thanks for the welcome lets hope martin proves mick wrong

• July 16, 2013 at 09:34

I am optimistic folks, some of the signings we have made have genuinely added quality to the squad and if SL can get our existing players firing on all cylinders we can achieve in this division. I am a little concerned hat we might be gettng a bit carried away though, SL is not JC, he will need time to bring in his players and adopt a system that is more attack minded. Let's make sure we temper the optimism and ambition with patience and give the guy chance to implement his changes,

• July 16, 2013 at 10:56

All I saw was chaplow turned down , 4 or 5 clubs are interested. My heart melted. Welcome on board chappy, you was missed at wembley that's one thing for sure!

• July 16, 2013 at 11:29

IMO I think people on this site need to calm down a bit, as I've said repeatedly, despite all of the great sound bites coming from Lomas we are still in July and it will be the end of September before proper BALANCED judgment can begin. So far we have signed Morison on loan (originally signed by KJ), Chaplow (originally brought to the club on loan by KJ), a reserve keeper and a couple of others that are by no means certain to be a success. We have also let a couple go that were halfway out of the door in any case. A few weeks ago everybody on here was saying we had the worse squad ever and that we need to clear out all of the dead wood. Whats changed? Now the likes of manchild N'Guessan 'deserve a second chance'. We are still around 7/2 for relegation which is probably a bit short and we are 20/1 to 33/1 for promotion which is probably about right. Before I get carried away on the wave, I'd like to see at least one more head turning signing before 3rd August and then see how Lomas does in what is a relatively comfortable start to the season. Thanks to JB & KJ, the club have a great foundation to build on but it's up to Lomas to deliver where it matters beginning on 3rd August with a home win.

• July 16, 2013 at 14:15

Didn't want to praise this deal before it was finalise but I'm over the moon with this signing. Things are just getting better and better. Might stick a score on us to finish top 20, bet the odds would be alright