bestkinky

N'Guessan will be given second chance, says Millwall boss

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

DANY N'Guessan will get a second chance at Millwall despite his fallout with management and fans at the end of last season, Steve Lomas has confirmed.

N'Guessan was substituted just 15 minutes after coming on against Crystal Palace in May and drew criticism from then manager Kenny Jackett and supporters for his performance.

The 25-year-old responded by claiming Jackett had treated him like "dirt."

But he scored in the Lions' first pre-season friendly of the summer against Crawley Town on Saturday, impressing during his 45-minute appearance, and Lomas says N'Guessan is in his plans for next season.

"Since I've been back, Dany's attitude has been great, as with all the other boys," Lomas said. "I think Dany when he's on fire and playing aggressively can be a handful.

"You can't come in and say there's a clean slate for everyone and then not give the geezer a chance. Whatever happened has happened but things change in football very quickly.

Lomas added: "If he shows me the same attitude as he has in the last two weeks then I will be happy with that."

25 thoughts on “N'Guessan will be given second chance, says Millwall boss

• July 15, 2013 at 09:05

He showed great effort and attitude at the beginning of last season also, but eventually fell out with KJ. I can forgive someone who falls out with the manager as that comes down to personality. However, his performance against Palarse was awful, he could have cost us the games as we were effectively playing with 10 men, whilst he strolled around stropping. That is not great team ethics in my opinion, if it ain't right for DNG it seems he couldn't care less how the team does.

• July 15, 2013 at 09:06

Good man lomas!

• July 15, 2013 at 09:14

i am liking the Ginger Ninger more and more, speaks well and is getting the respect from the players defo a top half season for the WALL

• July 15, 2013 at 09:31

I suppose we never really know what's going on there, what Jackett might have been putting him through. We'll soon see what he's made of under SL. Forget all our signings or imminent signings, SL has been the best by far!!

• July 15, 2013 at 09:42

personally i think we should of got rid of him due to his poor attitude but if he starts trying and putting the hours in then hopefully it will pay off and the fans will start to back him again

• July 15, 2013 at 10:53

Good news again, Lomas is going to treat and respect all his team fairly, as it should be. Whatever happened last season is history and it appears that not only N'Guessand but all the players are responding . I sincerely hope that Dany will come good, for his own career and for Millwall.

• July 15, 2013 at 10:57

He has to be given a chance cos he's on the payroll. But , it doesn't excuse his behaviour that could've sent us down. I hope we get rid at the 1st opportunity.

• July 15, 2013 at 11:01

Is it me or does that picture make it look like DNG is taking it deep in his backside?

Well done Aldo, that's very clever how you "slipped" that one in

• July 15, 2013 at 11:05

I don't personally believe he deserves a second chance but if he proves me wrong I'll be happy.

The contempt he displayed at the Crystal Palace match was a disgrace and he should issue an apology.

• July 15, 2013 at 11:41

This is an accident waiting to happen. He'll be gone once he has his first strop, probably when he's left out of the 3rd August match day squad. SL's first mistake IMO.

• July 15, 2013 at 11:49

Football is a fickle game and we at the Den are no exception. Everyone knows that if DNG starts hitting the back of the net on a regular basis, all will be forgiven. Thats what we are like. Maybe KJ was the problem. We have know idea what goes on behind closed doors. Im willing to give him a second chance, like SL said, he's quick and a good size, if he works on his touch and starts taking people on, he could be quite dangerous.

• July 15, 2013 at 11:56

To be honest, I'd like to see him go. It frees up some of the wages plus gives room for a much better striker. DLost all respect for Dany after that Palace match, could have cost us relegation. I say we need to INVEST in a striker I.e. buy one. Buy someone who will guarantee 15 goals a season (I want Sharp). N'Guessan will her you 5-7 goals a season which is better than Marquis, but still not good enough.

• July 15, 2013 at 11:56

Get you 5-7 goals *

• July 15, 2013 at 11:57

Personally, I don't rate him especially after his antics on the pitch last season but if Lomas can turn him around then he might be useful as a late sub in some matches. We've certainly got some competition up front now, with possibly more to come in. No more fannying around for the strikers at Millwall. Those days are well gone.

• July 15, 2013 at 12:22

At the moment we aren't in a position to criticise anything that SL is doing or saying and I think he is doing everything right. However we are still entitled to opinions on what we have seen. I liken DNG to a bloke who used to play for MFC called Steve Anthrobus in that like Anthrobus, DNG believes he is much better that he actually is and isn't prepared to play to his real strengths. He needs to see this as an opportunity to get his head down, work hard and turn it all around. Sadly. I don't think he's got the mettle.

• July 15, 2013 at 13:12

@Chipplefuddywick: If your right Chipple then he won't last 5mins under Lomas and he will have no one to blame but himself having been given another chance.
      If he does start to play well we may even find someone who is interested in taking him and maybe get some money for him.

• July 15, 2013 at 12:24

SL is right to wipe the slate for everyone, including DNG.
    If attitude is right it could be like having a new player. If it don't work out give him to the anoraks, they love him.
    COYL

• July 15, 2013 at 12:54

Its easy to say get rid of him but who is going to buy him ? Im sure Lomas will send him packing if he starts showing a bad attitude again ! Must agree against Palace he really let the team and fans down, I just can not see him ever getting on with Wall fans. COYL

• July 15, 2013 at 16:01

I'm not sure why everyone is stressing so much about DNG. If he knuckles down and scores a few goals then happy day - if not he'll be banished to the stiffs or packed off on loan to some poor unsuspecting League One mugs. His choice really, simple as...

• July 15, 2013 at 18:08

Awful player, time to get rid & free up wages.

Can't control a ball, has a knack for dribbling or knocking the ball out, doesn't score goals, can't head, crossing isn't great. Apart from that he's alright.

• July 15, 2013 at 18:56

He might come good, I'm happy for him to have a second chance!

• July 16, 2013 at 00:17

Dany N'Guessan should not only never again put on a Millwall shirt, he isn't fit to put on a football shirt at any professional club. I say professional because this numpty is as far as you can get.

I can not understand people making excuses, his behaviour against palace was one of the most embarrassing, pathetic, unprofessional acts to be seen on a football field. He very easily could have helped towards us getting relagated. To antagonise and let down your own team mates, never mind the fans who both pay your wages and are on tenterhooks in a London derby is inexcusable.

I, for one will never forget that even if he manages more than 5 shots on target next season.

Just to clarify I do not blame SL for his stance as the player is under contract and by taking this route we have a better chance of off loading him.

• July 16, 2013 at 09:18

@dragonflymfc: He doesn't go around biting players, the guy deserves another chance as SL has made clear. To accuse him of almost taking the club down ignores the run of bad results the team had who was responsible for that? KJ must take some responsibility.
      Lets look forward to a great season.

• July 16, 2013 at 09:57

I'll never forget his hissy fit when he stormed off the pitch for being subbed after 15mins, it's going to a lot to change my opinion of him.