bestkinky

Former Norwich City manager assisting Lomas with transfers

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

FORMER West Ham, Norwich City and Newcastle United manager Glenn Roeder is helping Steve Lomas line up transfer deals.

Roeder has been calling agents on the Lions' behalf to gauge whether their clients would be interested in moving to The Den.

And Lomas admits he is using every available resource as he draws up a list of potential summer signings that would strengthen his squad.

He said: "The chief scout Jamie Johnson is away on holiday for two weeks so I've got a few people speaking to agents for me that I trust.

"For me to get around the amount of agents there are would be virtually impossible on my own, which is effectively what I am for the time being. There's a lot to do and I can't spend all day speaking to agents, so I've got a couple of people doing that."

Lomas played under Roeder during his playing days with the Hammers.

66 thoughts on “Former Norwich City manager assisting Lomas with transfers

• June 20, 2013 at 18:10

I would imagine they would be holding out hoping for better offers from bigger teams, we are not the obvious 1st port of call.

• June 20, 2013 at 18:16

Jay Bothroyd please. Just been released by qpr

• June 20, 2013 at 18:43

@JonnyBanks: bothroyd a journey man who would cost you 20 k a week not that I consider him worth that better targets of we got that sort of money to spend

• June 20, 2013 at 18:45

Also our scout goes on holiday when this should be our busiest time ? Why not go in may ??
      No wonder we never sign anyone of note and get left with the dregs !!

• June 20, 2013 at 18:50

@Millwall1979: That was exactly my first thought. What is the scout doing on holiday now!!! I know that he might not be able to physically go and watch a player at the moment due to there not being any games but surely he should be assisting especially with a new boss just installed. I think his days could be numbered!

• June 20, 2013 at 19:00

@Adsy77777: From previous snippets that have come out on this site I don,t think he is cut out for the job, can,t even find talent when its under his nose.

• June 20, 2013 at 19:37

Johnson certainly needs a kick up the a*** that's for sure with regard to his scouting but in all fairness, he would have booked that holiday months ago when Jackett was the manager and when do footballing staff take their holidays?...in the close season. Lomas himself was away last week.
        The whole scouting network is under review as per Ambler so look for some inroads into our previous amateurish approach.

@Millwall1979:

• June 20, 2013 at 19:45

@NICKOLA: I know what you're saying Nik, but Johnson hasn't exactly covered himself in glory of late judging by some of our recent signings. Off the back of last season, my old boss leaving and a new boss coming in, me personally, I would have put a holiday off, booked or not.

• June 20, 2013 at 19:48

@NICKOLA: fair enough but when your job is football related don't you work it around the season ? My point is whether lomas appointed or jackett still at helm wouldn't this still be a time to hit the ground running and start looking what we are after I would have thought the "chief scout" would have been prominent in that decision making ?

Hopefully he enjoyed his holiday and lomas has help in his absence and doesn't decide he should stay on a permanent holiday ??

• June 20, 2013 at 20:20

Millwall1979, I get your point but when does he go on holiday? To me it's the close season, that's when I'd take mine.
            Traditionally, Millwall do not hit the ground running with regard to incoming transfers, though they have taken a pittance in the past for our better players. A new manager can use a machette to cut out all the dead wood and that includes certain elements of the non-playing staff. but his influence takes time. As I've said, I really believe that we've turned the corner here and it's full steam ahead.

@Millwall1979:

• June 20, 2013 at 20:26

@Millwall1979: not having a dig nik I meant we should be hitting the ground running irrespective of previous seasons my point was maybe he should have gone after last game of season, in just over a week we are back for pre season training and other scouts etc are jockeying for position whilst ours is on a beach no deals will be done in may but some are certainly bein done now and whilst he won't have the final say and sign the cheque he would you would hope have had a say and given advice as its his job to go watch these players we might be interested in

• June 20, 2013 at 21:52

@Millwall1979: Cos his work is done? What do you think scouts do when players are playing? Would you rather he go on holiday when the other scouts are at games? Its CEO / manager / agent time.

Maybe you'd like the defense to have long breaks every other weekend? Oh.....How about the pub landlords round the 'Peckam Ring' to have luchtimes off too.

• June 20, 2013 at 22:13

@flicky licky: how is his work done he compiles dossiers of players he has watched all season does he not ?

My point was no business done first week may and no players to watch / scout so that's when you would expect scout / football staff to go away would you not ?

What I wouldn't expect is that football staff are still on holiday when others in the football world are back and dealing with agents etc for the day when the transfer window opens ??

The fact lomas has come out and said he is effectively on his own and has had to bring a outsider out to make his calls should be something gallen and scout should be doing ? And fact he made this public I would say means he aint happy

Whether you like it or not the football "season" does not run aug to may there is a lot that should go on behind scenes and you would expect the infrastructure to be there to assist the manager !!?

• June 20, 2013 at 19:40

@JonnyBanks: could be another Hulse just waiting to happen. No thank you.

• June 21, 2013 at 08:52

@JonnyBanks: JB he is looking for 20k a week and talking to two Turkish clubs dont think we are serious contenders to sign him (but he would score a few at this level)

• June 20, 2013 at 18:22

Interesting that he says he's own his own at the moment. Gallen ?
    Anyone that can help bring in the good players that we need is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Nice to see a bit of action after years of dithering.

• June 20, 2013 at 18:45

Like it. He should have a few more contacts outside of Spurs and Villa. This feels like we are going at this properly rather than having a token scout. Can't wait for the end product. Onwards and upwards.

• June 20, 2013 at 18:46

Might be worth a word to see of he fancied a bit of coaching maybe even assistant manager ??

• June 20, 2013 at 19:06

Been hereing this stuff for donkies, but nice to here what's going on. SL gone nuts, and good luck believe it when the deals are on the table.

• June 20, 2013 at 19:19

It goes to show how Millwall's scouting set up has weakened since the heady days of Healey and Pearson. Are there any contacts abroad I wonder? But it seems SL has everything under control.

• June 20, 2013 at 19:32

Peckhamlad, No scouts overseas as confirmed by Millwall last season. In fairness, the budget doesn't stretch that far....at the moment.
      I do sense a wind of change blowing through Millwall now, on all fronts, from the new manager who is a revelation so far in my opinion, and the board getting its a*** in gear; and it is truly long overdue.
      @Peckhamlad:

• June 20, 2013 at 22:55

@NICKOLA: Too early to make judgements yet, lets see where we are come October/December. Ever optimistic.

• June 20, 2013 at 20:59

Lomas, breaker and now roeder
    Transfer targets if you wish to believe it
    Bywater and harewood
    I can hear a new song for the new season
    "Any olde iron any olde iron any any olde iron"
    Glad we're moving forwards lads
    BUT.................

• June 20, 2013 at 21:42

Luke, Roeder is one of a few who are helping out and Lomas IS going to lean on his old muckers to help him out, ex Hammers or not I don't see what the problem is. Roeder isn't on the permanent payroll and given his previous positions it would be highly unlikely he'd accept, let alone be offered an asistant manager position at Millwall. Anyone Lomas wants to call around who has excellent knowledge of the market looking for players is ok by me personally if it generates solid incoming transfers.
      We're not going to be playing in claret and blue next season. Let it go.

• June 20, 2013 at 22:05

@NICKOLA: haha
        It's funny how you think I'm all up tight about it nick I ain't it was said in jest pal
        Just stating what it is with a little humour but unless you actually see someone say something the odds of the reader misreading is a good fifty fifty. Chilax mate I have nothing to let go but thanks for your concern all the same

• June 20, 2013 at 22:12

@NICKOLA: you could be on to something there nick we haven't got a sponsor for next season yet
        Maybe we'll have claret and blue written on the front of our shirts with a change of spelling to our nick name from lions to lirons. Lol

• June 20, 2013 at 22:16

@NICKOLA: funny you should mention that nic the kit has been delayed something about ordering a different colour ink !!

• June 20, 2013 at 21:38

I hear Julian dicks is coming in to help the groundsman !

• June 20, 2013 at 22:20

@bleachy81: haha
      Harry redknapp to quit qpr and take up position of accountant at the den
      Russell brand to be the new Zampa the liron. Trevor brooking to be head of youth development and ray winston to be new kit man

• June 20, 2013 at 21:51

Aldo, According to your article, Roeder is 'one of a few' who are helping out.
    Why aren't the other 'few' mentioned ?
    This of course has nothing to do with your closing sentence 'Lomas played under Roeder during his playing days with the Hammers' to stir it up would it ?

• June 20, 2013 at 23:08

@NICKOLA: As long as Joe Kinnear's not employed I'll be happy.

• June 20, 2013 at 22:07

@NICKOLA: let it go nick. Let it go.
    Haha

• June 20, 2013 at 22:15

Luke, glad you are a chilling. Always watching your back matey.
      Grab a beer and think, not of bubbles, but of rampant lions.
      @lukesmithmfc:

• June 20, 2013 at 22:26

@NICKOLA: you gotta see the IRON-Y in it all nick. Haha
        Cheers pal got yours too fella.

• June 20, 2013 at 22:33

When did a scout ever get involved in transfers anyway? Its not their place, in fact prob the last person you'd want involved is a scout!

Roeder will be there for loans, he's no coach that's for sure and his bedside manner wouldn't enamor him to many players so any form of 'managing' is unlikely. He speaks his mind and so would be a valuable voice of reason and honesty to any new manager, I think its a good call. Expect Chelsea and A*** youngsters to be linked fairly soon I would imagine, his Iron links went rusty long time ago, I doubt he'd get many favours there or at any previous club. Simeon Jackson the exception.
    Good luck next season, Up the Canaries....

• June 21, 2013 at 10:47

@flicky licky: wouldnt the scout see how that player is playing therefore can give a more accurate verdicted on how much to pay him and for him

• June 20, 2013 at 22:34

We're all missing football too much I fear.
    Got my fixture list printed off and affixed to the fridge with a magnet. Countdown begins............
    I've heard a rumour that Julian Clary is the new chief scout as apparently he knows when someones got balls or not. Anyone know anything ?

• June 20, 2013 at 22:38

@NICKOLA: lol
      Much more like it nick.
      If true lets hope lomas hasn't lined up Trevor Morley and Ian bishop to join the backroom team !!!

• June 21, 2013 at 18:43

@lukesmithmfc: just got back from Thailand. I couldn't tell who had balls and who didn't either!

• June 20, 2013 at 23:02

Enough of the spam talk. We are MILLWALL.. Lomas is used to a PL set up.

• June 20, 2013 at 23:36

Roeder knows the business and has plenty of contacts from his management days, I like this left field thinking, this would not have happened before and this might explain our problems signing bigger names. Gotta say that reading between the lines, the scouting system is not regarded that highly by AA.

• June 21, 2013 at 01:20

You was doing well up until this!

• June 21, 2013 at 06:42

I love how he is a former Norwich manager when he managed the vermin for much longer. 🙂
    I think Julia Dicks should be brought in as defensive coach next.

• June 21, 2013 at 08:34

Winger/midfielder Lee Croft could be our first summer signing. He was Oldham's Player Of The Year last season but has rejected a new deal. Lomas had him on loan at St Johnstone for a while the season before last.

• June 22, 2013 at 12:13

@Lonz: Signing someones player of the year sounds more like it, we normally get players from the lower teams that they don't want because they are rubbish ie Wollyford and several Bournemouth rejects that we have been mugged with.

• June 21, 2013 at 09:33

Reading are rumoured to be interested in re-signing Henry.
    Croft plus cash for Henry - discuss!!!

• June 21, 2013 at 09:43

@Lonz: I'd rather Croft plus cash for Woolford !

• June 21, 2013 at 09:51

@Lonz: croft is out of contract

• June 21, 2013 at 09:41

Really don't know a lot about Croft but I do know that Henry is one of our best players. I would have thought a left winger was the priority.

• June 21, 2013 at 10:14

@NICKOLA: Not if Reading, who've got money to burn, wade in with a big offer for Henry

• June 21, 2013 at 10:22

Lonz, you might ne right as Lomas has cit@Lonz:

• June 21, 2013 at 10:31

Bloody keyboard ! I was saying that you might be right as Lomas has mentioned several players he wants to keep but from memory he hasn't mentioned Henry. I still think we need a replacement for Woolford and N'Guessan who must surely be on their way soon.
        @Lonz:

• June 21, 2013 at 10:38

@NICKOLA: I would think a couple of cardboard cutouts on the bench would be suitable replacements for them two and think of the wages saved.

• June 21, 2013 at 09:48

Still no real news about anyone only speculations donet get this Roder thing he is just helping out while JJ is on holiday, surley Millwall would have identified who they could be after towards the end of last season, not saying who they were going to go for but a list of possible targets. That the scouting team would have brought to the new mans attention as a least a starting point for discusion, this would have included budget constraints as well i would have thought, but this is Millwall.

• June 21, 2013 at 10:32

New players will be arriving at the same time as the normal arrival of the new kit, probably about October.

• June 21, 2013 at 11:16

Those people panicking about the lack of new signings should take a chill pill. The players report back on Monday and once SL has talked to them and spelt out his plans he'll get his 'four or five' new recruits in ASAP.
    He's already said, quite rightly, that everyone will get a chance and there are a handful of players who will be banging on his door to talk about new contracts.
    Once he's established who's staying and who he can offload I think we'll see a rush of signings ahead of them setting off for their 'team bonding' week in the sun.
    I can't understand people moaning about all the speculation - I'm loving it!!!!

• June 21, 2013 at 11:44

Lonz,
      I'm in agreement with you and I'm sure they'll be a few signings once next week is under way. Seems to be a lot of preparation going on behind the scenes to instigate that. Easter, I feel is part of his initial plans as he's quoted as saying so but hopefully not some of the others and a few minutes on the training ground should see to that lot.
      By that stage, hopefully Harris is on board, inroads made into the scouting network and an assistant manager in place though whether that's going to be Gallen remains to be seen, as Lomas is quoted as having no problems with him but as the assistant I'm not so sure.

@Lonz:

• June 21, 2013 at 12:56

@NICKOLA: From what SL is saying in the above article there does not seem to be much assisting going on.

• June 21, 2013 at 11:58

@Lonz: Lonz, as ever, the voice of reason on this site.

• June 21, 2013 at 11:32

We are becoming like Leyton Oriebt with all these ex hammers

• June 21, 2013 at 12:49

Nickola - I think Easter did just about enough last season to deserve a chance. He said on here that he was 'determined to win the fans over' and although I doubt he'll be first choice next season he's a decent enough back-up striker and if he forces his way into the side then happy days all round.
    The Harris stories intrigue me because they aren't backed up with any quotes so it doesn't seem like anyone at the club has actually said they want him back.
    I think it would be a great move and prove SL really has got the balls to be Millwall boss. If we struggle early on the knee-jerk reaction brigade will be screaming for the ex-Hammer to clear off so Lions legend Harris can take charge.
    SL's no mug, he knows how it could play out and it will be further proof of his guts and confidence if he still decides it's in the club's best interests to bring Bomber back.

• June 21, 2013 at 13:26

@Lonz: I doubt any of the forwards from the second half of last season deserve another chance. I'm still not convinced by Easter who I think'll be nothing more than a squad player. Whereas we know Keogh is a decent player (if he regains his form), but he's never going to score a lot of goals.

The big challenge on our budget is bringing in a striker who can get us up to 20 goals a season. Until we start bringing through decent young players again, we're always going to be taking risks with cheaper options.

• June 21, 2013 at 18:40

Our scout goes on holiday FFS ........ He is definitely not interested in the job , give him the flick.

• June 23, 2013 at 16:05

If JJ ain't up to it get someone in who is. We need quality fresh blood now not once the season starts. If Rodent does the business sign him up. If not then another post to be filled by the club.
    COYL