bestkinky

Lomas to hold talks with members of Millwall coaching staff

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

STEVE Lomas plans to hold talks with each member of Kenny Jackett's backroom staff to decide whether they will be staying on at Millwall under his leadership.

It remains unclear whether assistant boss Joe Gallen, first team coach Tim Breacker or goalkeeping coach Kevin Pressman will follow Jackett to Wolves or work alongside Lomas.

But the new Lions boss is hoping to resolve each of their futures in the coming days. He said: "Kenny has left Joe and Tim here.

"I know them both, I played with Tim and Joe was at QPR working with the youngsters so we will sit down and have a chat to see what their plans are.

"I am coming here alone so we will assess everything this week. Kevin Pressman is another one – we will have a chat but I don’t see a problem with it."

Lomas was introduced to the media at a press conference yesterday and also spoke about his disciplinary record in Scotland. The former St Johnstone was hit with an eight-match touchline ban last season for his reaction to a controversial decision against Celtic.

He said: "I'm passionate on the sideline. I don't mind losing but you can lose in the right way, with passion and fight.

"There were three incidents with referees in Scotland. Two of them were pretty silly but I am big enough to admit I went too far on the third occasion.

"It was possibly the worst decision I have ever seen in my time in football, but maybe I went too far. An eight-game ban was a bit much though."

36 thoughts on “Lomas to hold talks with members of Millwall coaching staff

• June 17, 2013 at 23:47

Would like to keep Pressman. I think Forde has improved greatly since Pressman arrived. Not sure about Gallen and Breaker

• June 18, 2013 at 00:15

Time for change bring in bomber keep pressman done well with Forde big change in the man.

• June 18, 2013 at 00:20

That's what our team lacked is some grit from the side lines, Lomas you think the refs are bad in Scotland, your gona go nuts down here week in week out (we always get s*** refs)

• June 18, 2013 at 00:27

Agreed 62 if Lomas with his reputation had seen the penalty decision against Blackburn he would probably be doing a life sentence now

• June 18, 2013 at 00:56

im thinking some of our players are in for a big shock with lomas,he seems to be a fiery type of manager.
    cant come quick enough for me.
    i think we are very quickly find what players really want to play for millwall.
    the more i see of lomas the more im going to like him.

• June 18, 2013 at 06:15

@jim1222: For example. Lomas immediately rated Trotter who has the potential to be a top attacking midfielder but seems to lack motivation. I think it will be a good measure of our new manager how he achieves this?

• June 18, 2013 at 09:00

@humphsplace: hump what motovation does Trotter need he is a professional footballer playing in the second tier of english football and playing for a club who I presume pay hime well for a job I am sure we would all love to do.
        If any of them dont want to put in a days work (which is only 2 hours) then shift em out, its the same anywhere if you dont do your job you get your P45 and these pampered players, who lets face it earn several times what most of us stiffs do who come to watch them every other week and pay there wages.

• June 18, 2013 at 07:13

• June 18, 2013 at 07:33

@benzo: Oh, blimey, looks like he already had a two match ban before he went to St Johnstone and then got another eight match ban on top of that. I guess we won't be seeing much of him on the touchline then with the referees they send us week-in - week-out.

• June 18, 2013 at 08:29

Gallen often voiced opinions about players that should be in contention which KJ seemed to ignore. I think Gallen might be better than people are givingbhim credit for, end of the day KJ picked the team.

• June 18, 2013 at 08:53

Didn't realise Breacker was a coach. Strange that he, former vermin, didn't cause too much fuss by being at the club. I suppose if we accept one of them, we might as well accept another one in Lomas. I still think they should their sort stick to their own kind though. 😀

• June 18, 2013 at 09:05

@Bayern_Lion: yeah breacker come in when Richard Shaw went!! BTW does any body know why that was?

• June 18, 2013 at 19:10

@Bayern_Lion: I would imagine that was because like you many did not realise he was.

Tbh as much as I would prefer anybody at Millwall not to have any association with WHUFC past or present I can come to terms with it to a point with regards to players or staff who had no way of knowing where their future lay.

What I am against is people who for instance have been outwardly vocal in their affinity to them whilst making it clear we are the enemy, much like B Bonds must have done in his career and more recently like the Benitez situation at Chelsea.

I think SL is making the right noises, he seems convincing and hungry..... All the WHUFC ties do is give him less grace IF it starts going tits up, if he does well its probably irrelevant what we think of him because with his growing reputation in the game he will no doubt be taken off of us by a PL team, what are the odds on WHUFC taking him in the future if he is a success????

• June 18, 2013 at 09:29

Pressman is no.1 priority has to keep him
    Sounds like breaker may stay but being harsh on joe I think he has to go he played a big part last season and was given much more responsibility and the results proved he isn't championship material. Chopper as a rookie for gallen? Lets see

• June 18, 2013 at 10:24

Reading between the lines here, it seems to me that Pressman will stay if he wants to. Breacker the same. Harris to be added to the coaching staff but not as assistant. Gallen will want to stay but personally I think he'll replace him.

• June 18, 2013 at 12:51

Fallen should stay. He's a decent coach and knows the players.

• June 18, 2013 at 13:12

@benzo: fallon a terrible jockey every time i back a horse he,s on it loses get rid of him but keep GALLEN.

• June 18, 2013 at 14:00

jim, You should back a horse called 'dusty carpet' next time you see it running.
        It's never been beaten!
        Sorry.
        @jim1222:

• June 18, 2013 at 14:02

Total non story. Lomas in new Manager to meet existing coaching staff shock. I really hope Lomas is as good as he says he is as he is setting himself up for a mighty fall if things don't go well early on.

• June 18, 2013 at 15:44

Surely Lomas needs people around him that he can trust and confide in. I am surprised that he hasn't brought in at least one assistant that is he's own choice and not make do with a group of people that he has inherited that may not share the same vision. I'm not saying wholesale changes but a bit of a shake up is definitely needed...

• June 18, 2013 at 19:13

New broom so clean slate I reckon.
    COYL

• June 18, 2013 at 21:55

worrying that their is so much conjecture about his back room staff,should'nt all be up in the air like it is.

• June 18, 2013 at 22:07

He got to do what he's got to do, hopefully it pays off

• June 19, 2013 at 04:43

looking at who's possibly available or realistic signings I feel could be brought in. Excuse any mistakes in anyone who has already signed with other clubs or have signed new contracts with their clubs. I've tried to pick players in the positions SL has stated he wants to strengthen...

Goalkeeper (mainly if Forde leaves) -Wes Foderingham, Lee Camp, Steven Bywater, Lewis Price, Luke Steele, Dean Gerkin, Carl Ikeme, Jason Brown.

Central Midfielder -Grant McCann, Johnnie Jackson, Tom Cairney, Tomasz Cywka, Ritchie Wellens, Scott Arfield, Morgaro Gomis, Marvin Elliot, Tommy Rowe, Michael Boswick, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Scott Wooton, Neil Kilkenny, Chris Cohen, Nicky Bailey, Karl Henry, Jamie O'Hara, David Davis, David Jones, Max Clayton, Carl Baker, Paul Caddis

Left Winger -Andrew Driver, Paul Anderson, Albert Adomah. Keith Fahey, Mark Yeates, Stephen Hunt, Lee Martin, Ludovic Sylvestre, Nathaniel Mendez- Laing, David Cotterill, Matt Ritchie

Striker (x2) -Paddy Madden, Clayton Donaldson, Scott McDonald, Sylvan Ebanks- Blake, Martyn Waghorn, Jay Simpson, Will Grigg, Simeon Jackson, Martin Paterson, Gary Taylor- Fletcher, James McFadden, Marcus Tudgay, Leon Clarke, Lee Tomlin, Jose Baxter, Chris Dagnall, Stephen Dobbie

They're all I can think of... In the ideal world, I would choose Lee Camp, O'Hara or Clayton, Fahey, Jackson and Tomlin or Donaldson. Of Course thats an ideal world...

Interested to hear what other wall supporters think of potential signings this summer.

• June 19, 2013 at 08:48

@manclion: Best one listed there (imo) Clayton Donaldson - a right old handfull from what I've seen of him.

• June 19, 2013 at 13:33

Looks like Gallen is staying:

• June 19, 2013 at 14:22

@Windy: Windy I think you are spot on with him saying "this will be his seventh seanson at the Den" I think he has been told he is still got a job here, not sure about the statement we can take points from any game in the Championship, dont know what happen after Christmas then because there wer plenty that we did not take any from.
      So after all the hype and anticepationthey seem to be serving up the same meat but different gravey to us poor saps, cant wait to see who they actually sign now proberly the equivalent of cold left overs.

• June 19, 2013 at 16:14

@Barnlion: I think Gallen was probably part of the problem, it would have been much better to bring in a new regime to get rid of the over familiarity and complacency that festered in the dressing room this year. If Jackett had lost the dressing room then so must have Gallen as he was Jacketts assistant.
        So as we speak what has changed but a new mouth piece, still got the same old crap.

• June 19, 2013 at 16:28

@Sealion: Sealion I could not agree more, it now looks to me that the brave new dawn that we thought was coming may have to put off untill later, after SL has got a taste of being our manager when it counts week in week out. He may want to bring his own men into key coaching positions rather than the ones it looks like he has inherited from KJ when the going gets tough, the picture that was paint of him being a no nonsense manager, I would think that he would have brought his own trusted men with him.
          But maybe JB & AA are saving on paying up the backroom staff contracts or they think that they had nothing to do with our form post Christmas???

• June 19, 2013 at 21:54

Barnlion, There's obviously a budget here. Personally, I'd like to see Gallen go or moved over to coaching the reserves. Harris, today, has been quoted as ' no comment' so to me that means he's on his way. Under what capacity remains to be seen but I can't see him as the assistant until he's proved himself to Lomas. That leaves the assistant manager position. Lomas is either going to promote within, keep Gallen in that position or bring someone in from outside. Either way, he needs to get a move on. He seems to be eager to get to grips with it all so hopefully these questions will soon be answered.
            @Barnlion:

• June 19, 2013 at 18:55

If Kevin Pressman doesn't want to stay for whatever reason it would be a shame as hes done a great job. I would contact Brian Horne and get him down there. He knows the club well and would offer good experience in my opinion.

• June 20, 2013 at 09:29

A lot about gallen, I for one would like him moved on not sideways.
    On Monday the players are back for pre season training baring forde and keogh maybe lomas wants to see how they all perform together and after a couple days assess what staff he needs and wants to replace. if thats the case then i think thats the farest thing to do. lets not forget JB and AA have said he can do as he sees fit with the backroom and he's offered his st Johnston assistant the job but got knocked back.
    Another thing chris hughton worked as assistant at spurs for yrs under loads of different managers before his big break so we as supporters myself included may be being a bit harsh towards gallen. He may have the full support of the players and staff, we don't know the full story.
    I'm sure lomas will do the right thing in the next month or two.