bestkinky

Exclusive: Long-serving Millwall defender to land new deal

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

MILLWALL are poised to open contract talks with defender Alan Dunne.

The 30-year-old will be offered a 12-month extension on his current deal, which expires next summer, to keep him at the club until at least 2015.

The right-back has made 316 senior appearances for the Lions since joining the club as a ten-year-old and plans to see out the rest of his career at The Den.

New manager Steve Lomas said: "I've spoken to Alan – I am trying to get around all of the players just to introduce myself.

"I can't see Dunney going anywhere, let's put it that way. I am looking forward to working with him because he's Millwall through and through. I don't think it will be an issue. There's nobody more committed to Millwall than Alan."

Dunne is among a number of players who will hold talks with Lomas about their futures – with the club keen to tie down the likes of David Forde, James Henry, Liam Trotter, Andy Keogh and Shane Lowry to new contracts.

"You want to keep your best players," Lomas said. "And you only go one way when you lose players and don't replace them. We'll certainly be speaking to these guys and seeing what their situations are. It will be a priority of mine over these first three months."

16 thoughts on “Exclusive: Long-serving Millwall defender to land new deal

• June 13, 2013 at 09:29

Good move. He deserves it. Loves the club and gets on with it playing or not. Need some blue blood in the dressing room.

• June 13, 2013 at 09:42

Deserves it ,he's real 'wall. We know his limitations but his effort and commitment are faultless. Dunney would start in any Millwall side I picked.

• June 13, 2013 at 09:49

Dunney has played the best football of his career this season, he deserves the recognition and commitment to 2015 is only fair. He would make a great coach when he finally hangs up his boots.

• June 13, 2013 at 10:14

Very interested to say how this lad plays under the new boss. Deserves a new contract, him and Robbo are the sort of people we need in that dressing room when the new lot are there. They show them exactly what Wall's all about. Keep it up Dunney!

• June 13, 2013 at 10:25

Always good to keep a core of experienced proper 'wall players around.

• June 13, 2013 at 11:08

If it happens, Well done Dunney.....

• June 13, 2013 at 11:27

Well deserved dunney I don't think much more can be said tbh. He proved a point last season so fare play to him.

• June 13, 2013 at 11:34

Good news and Dunne is starting to look quality

• June 13, 2013 at 11:58

I must say all the comments above are of a similar vein, regarding effort, commitment and real wall and so on , I do agree with all of these statements and I also think he possibilly should get another year on his contract.
    But no one has mentioned his abillity and if he can play at this level for a whole season, which he did not do last season, if the new manager is going to do anything with the team Dunney is very good to have around and can fill-in in several positions , but IMO SL should be looking for more quality in as many positions as he can and WE should want that as well for the team, there is no room for sentiment in football, we want winners.

• June 13, 2013 at 17:19

@Barnlion:
      I agree with you but , a difficult balance in my opinion is that between "footballers" and "grafters".
      Adam Smith is clearly a better "footballer" than Dunney. But , does that mean you automatically drop Dunney to accommodate Smith ? Who would you have played in the right back position and why ? I would stick with Dunney as in my opinion , defenders are not there to play football , theyre there to stop the opposition..... At top level , look at Tony Adams , the proverbial donkey , but what a defender.

• June 14, 2013 at 16:03

@Block 8:

Sometimes I wonder - have we all conveniently forgotten the number of times this bloke has missed a tackle, given away a daft free-kick, miscontrolled the ball, hoofed the blasted thing nowhere in particular or had a winger leave him for dead?

Nobody could question his commitment, the effort he puts in or the way he has fought back time and again to see off rivals (a bit like Harry Cripps in fact - I must have seen untold left backs bought in to replace Harry only to be unloaded or switched to other slots. He even got Dennis Burnett redeployed and Dennis may have been the best left back I've ever seen in a Millwall shirt).

Nevertheless quite apart from the questions about Dunne as a player there's also the effect on the rest of the team. Did nobody notice the way our attacks on the right hand almost disappeared at the end of the season as the support from the back was ineffectual and the right midfield had to spend more and more time tracking back. It reached the stage where we scarcely had a right wing at all.

Frankly we haven't had a decent full back for years on either flank and handing Dunne an extension won't do anything to remedy that.

• June 13, 2013 at 12:26

Agree with everything being said about Dunney - but "the club keen to tie down the likes of Liam Trotter" - really? what are they seeing that the fans don't???

• June 13, 2013 at 19:30

@CBL 44: I see a very talented footballer.........but how to get him playing is the trick....what ever KJ said it made him worse

• June 13, 2013 at 15:16

No complaints from me, Dunney is Wall through and through. If Henry and Trotts can get fully fit under Lomas then keeping them would be a bonus too.
    COYL

• June 13, 2013 at 23:51

Well deserved Dunney. We need players like him shame we got rid of tony Craig, wall through and through, but I don't see a future for robbo now, too long out and ltd t this level, can't see him shifting sh1ttu and Beevers from the side