Exclusive: Ex-Norwich striker on Millwall's summer wish-list

© Actionplus

© Actionplus

NEW Millwall boss Steve Lomas is eyeing a summer swoop for striker Simeon Jackson following his release from Norwich City.

Canadian international Jackson headed a ten-man list of players let go by the Premier League club in May and Lomas has admitted he would love to sign him on a free transfer.

Jackson had increasingly become a fringe player at Carrow Road following the Canaries' promotion to the top flight and left the club having scored 17 goals in 73 appearances.

Lomas said: "He's the right type for us - he's quick and he can score goals. But I will be one of about ten managers that wants Simeon Jackson because he's done very well at Norwich. Some people were a little surprised that they let him go.

"I like the boy. I think he's got something about him and we want hungry players. I like him because he plays like he's hungry and, when you get that, it's a nice little combination."

Lomas has also confirmed that he is monitoring FC Sion's Kyle Lafferty, who was tipped as a potential target last week, and Newcastle United midfielder Mehdi Abeid.

Attacking reinforcements are high on the Lions' wish-list this summer but Lomas says he wants to give the existing players at the club a chance to impress.

"We'll certainly be looking at strengthening up front," he said. "But I don't want to be rushed into anything because the current squad deserve a fair crack of the whip.

"We've got two up there at the moment, in Andy Keogh and Jermaine Easter, and I'm keen to have a look at the two younger lads, John Marquis and Aiden O'Brien as well.

"We're looking to bring in the right type as well as the right player. When people come into the group, they need to buy into what Millwall is all about."

Lomas will hold his first press conference as Millwall manager on Monday after returning from holiday in Portugal - but the 39-year-old has not had much of a break as he casts his net far and wide in search of potential signings.

"We need three or four fresh faces and I'm constantly looking at that," he said. "I'm touching base with a lot of agents at the moment - things will probably start kicking off the end of next week when players come back from their holidays. I'm not ruling anything out at the moment. I've been on the phone a lot this week."

Comments

1. Micky Lions says:

Don't tell Leicester.

21 likes

2. leemark says:

Sssssshhhhhh!!!! Don't keep telling everyone our plans, you know Leicester will get in there first!!!

7 likes

3. 82wall says:

It's a new season fella's forget the Leicester b******* its getting boring. Im Fairly confident we will get at least 2 decent signings before the new season.

8 likes

4. bleachy81 says:

A show of intent, finally - Ill have Jackson all day long - Proven at this level and scored a few in the prem - Sign him up asap

13 likes

5. NO1LIKESUS says:

Well done SL. If you can re-jig the forward line & beef up the midfield, you've got my backing!

14 likes

6. Block 8 says:

Sounds fantastic . Fingers crossed

4 likes

7. glyngo says:

Jackson is a quality player and would bring genuine pace and threat to our squad. Will be interesting to see how SL uses the young lads. Although I would not say Marquis is quite the finished article, I would like to see more of a develpment plan in place to expose the boys more regularly to first team football and not just when we have too many injuries to senior players when the pressure is all on them to perform at a level above what they are used to.

7 likes

8. manclion says:

Hmmmmm... not greatly confident we can pull off a signing like this but it certainly shows a lot of ambition which is definitely what we need. Interesting approach from SL with being so open in his interests (Jackson and Lafferty so far), I hope it's a case of playing a different game to KJ with his transfer dealings with being more public and not a case of inexperience and alerting rival clubs to our dealings. Saying that, if this actually happens, what a signing that would be. Best of luck with this SL

9 likes

9. Basingstokelion says:

Sort of statement we are used to here at The Den -
    LOMAS, your predecessor said exactly the same.
    The current squad is not good enough especially up front, poor statement from the new man. We need new strikers and midfield players. You have to sign decent players you got no choice.

15 likes

• NICKOLA says:

Got that right. The current squad does NOT deserve another crack of the whip. They've had their chances. Lomas might feel that he can more out of the likes of Batt and N'Guessan etc than his predecessor but I'd say you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

@Basingstokelion:

12 likes

• EchoBoy says:

@NICKOLA:

Watching shaun bat at the end of the season he was one of the only players that had some form of presants on the pitch and he it still playing with more passion then liam trotter so i wouldnt knock him, however N'Guessan has just gone to s*** he had one or two good games at the begining of the season just before we got wood but it went down hill quite quickly

1 likes

10. mewall62 says:

Don't listen believe it when they sign until then it's just talk, a wish is something you want that's out of reach so no more wish lists stop with the wind ups, tell us when you have the players we need, most players we have can't cut it in this league they have already had a fair crack last 2 seasons we fought relagation run em or it will be a 3rd season.

5 likes

11. Old_Les says:

I'm sure there's a lot of players on the "wish list."

Wages

Another non story.

6 likes

12. junkmale says:

To be honest, I'm not put off by Lomas saying he wants to give players a chance. He won't have met them yet and he is hardly going to win people over and build a team mentality by saying 'you're all s*** and you'll be replaced'. This is exactly what any sensible manager will say when taking over a new job. It doesn't mean he doesn't realise that the squad needs improving. I think this comment is aimed at players like Malone, who has not really been given a chance by Jackett but has potential and Marquis, who also could improve.
    If we can get someone like Jackson, who Jackett should have got from Gillingham when we had the chance, then that is a massive step forward. Add Abeid and a couple of other attacking players and the squad looks in much better shape.

9 likes

13. Although I appreciate his intentions and I like what I've seen and have read (In the Southwark News this Morning) so far and believe me i'm no hater, i like him......BUT!!!

Talk is cheap Lomas, You say you know about Millwall fans and what we expect? Well we don't stand for people spouting a load of b******* if there is no substance behind it, so get these deals done my bruva and get em done quick sharp or you will start to get all the haters harping up again about where you've come from etc, etc.....

Simeon Jackson would be the f****** nuts....jury's out on Lafferty, said it before he comes comes across like a p****...Would like to see the list.....PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT STEVEN REID.....

8 likes

14. Peckhamlad says:

I am liking what I am hearing from the new manager, his the boss and his energy and keenness will hopefully rub off on all the players and club itself. He knows the game and who he signs or tries to sign has to be his decision. We have to put our trust in him at this stage, not make prejudgements about the players he wants to bring in. We will see when they start to play.

3 likes

15. lukesmithmfc says:

Well agree with some that its all talk but talk that comes along with every managerial appointment even Martinez has come out and told the Everton fans he's going to get them into the top 4. It's all pr, standard procedure.
    Anyway Jackson will be quality but he's had a taste of the prem and no doubt will want another go at it so I personally can't see us pulling this off. Fare play for trying.
    Would rather this site tell us news as it happens this summer otherwise it will be just another rumour site. Don't get me wrong it's nice to know who we're interested in but all that's happening is the expectation levels are going up again and I don't think that's a good idea especially with half a rookie taking over from jackett. If anything the levels need lowering and to be realistic it will save all the aggression and abuse lomas will receive when he has his first blip.
    As for the three of four players he said he'll sign I thought last week he wanted four or five
    I don't know maybe next week it will be two or three, sounds like typical wall.
    I will look forward to the new season as I do every yr but I'm expecting not much of an improvement and not too many new faces especially permanent ones.
    Good luck stevie boy but please keep your cards closer to your chest as if it goes wrong your only gonna get it in the earhole.

5 likes

16. junkmale says:

Not sure about Kyle Lafferty, but I do like Mrs Lafferty

5 likes

17. Big Millwall says:

A quality signing

1 likes

18. lionking says:

The three things that will balls up a signing like this happening : wages, wages and wages.

5 likes

• Barnlion says:

@lionking: Agree with you Lionking, but also he will look at who we have here and does he think that our squad will help him get back to the prem either with us (not just yet) or by his preformances and goals, but as you stated the wages would be the main stumberling block to a move here.
      This would be the same for any half decent player we try to sign from the prem or the top half of the champonship they will have demands beyond our budget.

2 likes

19. denslions says:

Not interested in hearing about who we are interested in signing. ONLY WANT TO KNOW WHO WE HAVE SIGNED.

6 likes

20. mfc1rob says:

Im hearing that we have signed zane ferdinand from south end, anyone know the truth about this.

1 likes

• Barnlion says:

@mfc1rob: Who the F*** is he, anyway Noel Hunt has turned us down in favor of Leeds I wonder if that has naything to do with money or does he just want to move his family from Berkshire up to Yorkshire, rather than stay in the south!!!

2 likes

• Strood Lion says:

@Barnlion: agree mate i cant stand the bloke the last time me and the boy see him down the DEN with Reading we give him some s***!! deservedly so cause he must have hit every branch of the ugly tree on the way down!!!!

0 likes

• @mfc1rob:
      Not sure, If its the guy I'm thinking of its Kane Ferdinand and i think he plays for Peterborough now??? The only official business that's been completed today and that's the young kiddy, Charlie Penny who signed a pro contract with us today...

2 likes

21. WestKentLion says:

Do Millwall know the saying,, 'Keep you powder dry'? No, didn't think so.... (shakes head)

2 likes

22. PaulMcK says:

I am really liking the SL talk so far.

Let's just hope he can prove he can Walk the Walk like he Talks the Talk!

Jackson woudl be a good signing, but I get the feeling we may just be getting the "public view" and there might be a lot more going on under the surface. Would be great is we coudl snatch a couple of really good signings without any publicity. That woudl really make the fans and the squad sit up and listen!

3 likes

23. PaulMcK says:

Kane Ferdinand - ex Southend signed for Peterborough for £200k last season. Woudl be a good signing IMO from what I've seen of him but bet P'boro woudl be after a lot more than the 200k they paid.

Steven Reid coming back as a holding midfielder would also be a great signing I think.

3 likes

24. YEESSS!! STEVEN REID would be a GREAT signing....that would give Trots....The Trots.

1 likes

• jim1222 says:

@Windy: would trotter get the hump with sl if sl is a no nonsense manager after trotter couldnt get on with roy kean who was a no nonsense manager

0 likes

• @jim1222:
        I don't know em but i would say that SL & Roy Keane are different personalities. Roy Keane has widely been reported as a bit of a p****....and i think there's a difference in being straight talking and crossing the line with players. SL has already stated that he knows players and wants to work with them on the training field to make them better. I don't think Roy Keane was that type of manager.

I hope that what happened to Trotter last season was just a blip in his career. On he's day i really rate him and if he can get he's head right i think he can still be a key player for us next season, i really believe that. Same goes for J.Henry, I don't think KJ got the best out of him either....

1 likes

25. How can we live in hopes for these new players when the Board as far as I know have not stated they'll back the new manager with the monies that are needed.
    Last week there was talk here about the back room building up. Where's the money coming from to service all these new faces. we cant sell there's nought worth selling.
    Come on Board make a statement that helps me to ease the thoughts damn I've already bought my season ticket. is it going to be worth it ????????

0 likes

• jim1222 says:

@aeojt: we made some money from the cup run maybe that the cash their gonna use

0 likes

• Barnlion says:

@jim1222: Jim,That money wont go far if we intend buying someone who has ability and can make a real difference to the team, also we need more than one new player if we want to at least stay in the Championship let alone try for a play off place.
        Its not just the transfer fee but as always the thing that kills us will be what they want to come done here??

1 likes

• @aeojt:
      In the Southwark News today its reported that the board will back SL and give him what he needs? Whether they do that is another matter, but that's what Lomas was quoted. With regards to back room staff and our scouting network, with any business if you want to push on you have to invest in your infrastructure to move forward, maybe this was always part of the plan?. It was clear in KJ's tenure that there was a lack of support, maybe they have learnt from passed mistakes and are now showing some ambition.

Its all ifs and but though, nothing concrete which is driving me mad....

1 likes

26. Block 8 says:

1 likes

27. PaulMcK says:

Think the club woudl be wise not to advierise how much (or how little) they have to spend in the transfer market. As soon as other clubs know you have case it's amazing how prices start to escalate. Let's hope they are playing a good game and holding the aces close to their chest for now... if (when) they turn out to be all duces we can all have a moan, but until then let's be patient.

3 likes

28. Lincolnshire Lion says:

JB's told him he'll get money and the boards backing. If I where SL I'd do the same go straight in for a big signing and the board have to back him...don't they ? I like the sound of this bloke sounds like he knows exactly what we want and what the team needs....wonder if he's going to sign a midfield boss like a Hurlock type wouldn't that be peachy.

1 likes

• NICKOLA says:

Well, I would like to think that the cash for expanding the scouting etc. has been separated from the transfer kitty. Hence, Lomas is looking at players that are technically free ie: Jackson. The real problem is the competition and the wages, Given that we have a lot of dead wood, they aren't worth a lot but they do release funds for wages. Problem is that whoever goes has to be replaced and that's why Lomas is going to have a long hard look at the current squad to see who's up to it in his opinion. A marquee signing like Morison is feasible but that would detract a sizeable chunk from what's available. We've gone from 5-6 players needed to 3-4 and presumably that also includes a back-up goalkeeper. Going to be interesting.
      @Lincolnshire Lion:

0 likes

29. lion.ie says:

It's all sound bites from Lomas and transfer speculation at the moment. See you all when something actually happens. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 likes

30. DELBOY64 says:

Why don't we just get or make approach for who we want instead of making it common knowledge, as we will be beaten every time by other championship teams who are willing to pay more money than us. Make a list , check them out, see if available , make the bid and do the f*** ing deal. Speculation bullsh1t does my f*** ing swede in.

3 likes

31. When he signs, he signs then tell us!

Apparently Millwall pay about the average for the Championship but have had a smaller a squad. What has always got me annoyed is the signing of so called 'squad' players who are not of the standard and are only played as a last resort. What a waste of money, there was a good article last week in that a team is only as good as their weakest player not their strongest.

So the message is obvious, we can buy Messi and Bale but if we have a two bob back line we will fail, so lets get a strong all round squad, we don't need start but we don't need passengers either.

1 likes