bestkinky

Lomas' assistant at St Johnstone turns down Millwall switch

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

TOMMY Wright, who was Steve Lomas' assistant at St Johnstone, has confirmed he turned down the chance to follow the 39-year-old to Millwall.

Rather than join Lomas in South London, Wright has stepped into his shoes after agreeing to become the Saints' new manager.

Wright told The Herald: "Steve asked if I was interested in going to Millwall but I wanted to stay here. I had not thought too much about becoming a manager again because I was enjoying my job as Steve's No.2.

"But when the opportunity came up and the chairman spoke to me about it, I was delighted the club wanted me to stay on."

Lomas has no concrete plans about his backroom staff. He said: "I know the coaches here and I'll have a chat with them all and see what's what. I am not one to come in and start slicing and dicing."

31 thoughts on “Lomas' assistant at St Johnstone turns down Millwall switch

• June 11, 2013 at 09:56

Looks like Gallen isn't going to be the assistant then. Phew.

• June 11, 2013 at 10:03

@NICKOLA: i do hope you are right? Gallen cant be that good a number 2 or KJ would have taken him

• June 11, 2013 at 10:06

Let's hope Jackett has contracted a minibus to take Gallen and some of the current squad to sunny Wolverhampton.
        @Strood Lion:

• June 11, 2013 at 10:17

@NICKOLA: need something bigger than a mini bus let him borrow the big blue bus

• June 11, 2013 at 10:18

That's right. I forgot about the commercial department as well !!
            @Strood Lion:

• June 11, 2013 at 10:26

The last paragraph of the Tommy Wright article is a bit worrying as it seems to contradict his views on the way he will be dealing with the players, lets hope he freshens up the back room boys a little at least.

• June 11, 2013 at 10:50

Maybe there's truth in the haris rumour about coming in as no.2
    Certainly a better option than gallen.

• June 11, 2013 at 11:11

Not sure about that Luke. Lomas had offered it to Wright who's obviously turned it down. Wouldn't mind seeing Harris on-board as the strikers coach but do such positions exist at Millwall's level ?
      @lukesmithmfc:

• June 11, 2013 at 11:40

@NICKOLA: After last years performance infront of goal i think it needs to

• June 11, 2013 at 14:15

@NICKOLA: millwalls level is championship is it not?
        The board have stated that they're prepared to give SL what ever he needs behind the scenes so I guess if he feels he needs a striker coach then he'll get one and I'm pretty sure this would have been topic of conversation before during and after the interview process.

• June 11, 2013 at 20:16

Luke, I'd figured out that Millwall were in the Championship. My point was does the strikers coach exist? We've got a goalkeeping coach after all.
          @lukesmithmfc:

• June 11, 2013 at 20:44

@NICKOLA: I understand you realise where we are Nic I weren't taking the p***.
            Of course the striker coach exists. We've had them before. I noticed someone mentioned mick harford well we've had him at the den previously coaching the strikers. As I've mentioned
            The board are willing to let lomas do with the backroom team what he chooses. I'm sure if we haven't already got one then a striker coach will be on his shopping list. Ian wright is a striker coach at mk dons.

• June 11, 2013 at 12:24

I never offered the job to Tommy Wright, it was to Mark Wright who I thought could help to improve his brother Josh, also because he is from Essex and supports a team in East london which would get every ones back up and so lift the team, but he turned me down as well.
    So now I am trying to get Mathew Wright on board, as you can see I am trying my best to do everything Wright for Millwall.

• June 11, 2013 at 20:21

What's wrong with contacting Michael Barrymore ?
      He's allwright apparently.
      @lomas a ledgend:

• June 11, 2013 at 13:36

Unlucky he was offered the manger job at St Johnstone really.

Not sure about bomber coming yet, reckon we need someone with more coaching experience especially considering lomas has only managed 18months. Gallen needs to go though, he's definitely not the answer. I tell you who I think might make a good number 2. What about Mick Harford? Just left as assistant at MK Dons. Thoughts?

• June 11, 2013 at 14:15

@manclion: Manclion yeah wont be a bad one that and he mite be able to show the forwards how to stick the ball in the back of the net, also been around a bit and proberly still has good connections around the league's, they need it .

• June 11, 2013 at 14:18

@manclion: again?
      Did he work with McGhee ?

• June 11, 2013 at 20:24

Mick Harford was the Millwall striker's coach in the 2005-2006 season.
      We got relegated that year.

@manclion:

• June 11, 2013 at 20:46

@NICKOLA: good boy Nic we can't go backwards especially as mk dons have let him go.

• June 11, 2013 at 20:54

Ahh. We're back to 'getting a room'
          F*** Harford.
          @lukesmithmfc:

• June 11, 2013 at 21:09

@NICKOLA: haha ha

• June 12, 2013 at 08:25

I don't mind if Gallen stays, I just didn't want him to be our manager

• June 12, 2013 at 08:27

Saying that Lomas must be getting rid of the back room staff.

• June 12, 2013 at 09:59

Seems that Lomas had asked Wright several times to join him as assistant at Millwall but he decided to stay. Pretty apparent from that I would say that come Friday, Lomas is going to be having a sort out of the backroom staff and that some of them will be on their way.

• June 12, 2013 at 15:16

Just thought I would let you all know that I am enjoying my last day of holiday, before we come back and I start my new Job at Millwall , seems like its been a slow news day today, but when I get my feet under my desk I am sure there will be lots to report about.

Can't wait to get started and finally start to meet my future charges and also you the fans in the very near future.

• June 12, 2013 at 16:14

@lomas a ledgend:
      I heard that you are having some problems leaving Portugal due to airline strikes and that your press conference has been postponed until Monday!!!!

Enjoy your extended holiday....

• June 12, 2013 at 16:39

@Windy: Well Windy, at last someone out there, no I have sorted out passage on a sardine trawler to Falmouth and then I will get the train up from Penzance to Paddington, so I should be on time for the rearranger press conference and the start of my new job at The Den.

Looking forward to working with a lot of the boys I have heard good things about some of them Like, Woolford, Trotter, Osbourn, N'gessen to name but a few its a shame that Rob Hulse went back I would have liked to have worked with him, but that's life, that's all for now get to get some sleep got to catch the early tied tomorrow.

• June 12, 2013 at 16:36

This is boring now !!! No news, no speculation !!!! Has Lomas started yet ......... Loooooooooong

• June 12, 2013 at 21:22

SL don't know how your gona do it, but there's a lot of players in this wall side that can't cut the Championship, this is where you will be found out, so it's time to walk the walk stop the bunny, give us some pride back.

• June 12, 2013 at 22:42

We need 2 strikers please SL

• June 13, 2013 at 07:39

If I was this late for work, my boss would do his nut ! What a great start